Start by marking “The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck” as Want to Read:
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

(The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck #1)

Presenting by popular demand one of the most anticipated collections! The legendary artist Carl Barks created Scrooge McDuck and chronicled many of his most popular adventures. In addition to superb storytelling and wonderful entertainment, he left behind a character who was not only rich in his stories, but one for whom the stories themselves were rich. Modern master Don ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Gemstone Publishing (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, please sign up.
♛ Garima ♛ It is available on Amazon (in English) to buy but the price is way too high! It looks like it has become collector's item.

*Swaroop*
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
"Gosh! From Shoeshine Boy to the World's Richest Duck!"
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is a beautifully illustrated and wonderfully narrated biography of Unca Scrooge.
scrooge

It starts on the day in 1877, when Scrooge, as a shoeshine boy, earns his First Dime!

This book so well covers the grit, the determination, the hard work of Scrooge McDuck. This book also demonstrates clearly the devotion and passion of Don Rosa. It is so important for all to read this book, to understand the 'real' Scrooge b
Markus
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is not just the best comic book ever written, it is a profound literary masterpiece.

Courtesy of Tuomas Holopainen, frontman of Nightwish, it now also has its own accompanying music album, which spectacularly lives up to the book itself.
Tyas
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
I grew up reading Disney's comics, and one thing I like about how Disney handles their comic authors - although they may not write down their names or sign their work - is that the authors have the freedom of depicting Disney's characters quite freely. In the case of Uncle Scrooge, there are some authors who portray him as a real evil, greedy capitalist; while some others take another approach, showing Scrooge as a kindhearted duck who doesn't want to show his generosity, afraid of people taking ...more
[Name Redacted]
"Scrooge was never interested in what money could buy (obviously, since he never spends it!) and never lost sight of his 'Rosebud' -- that it's the memories and personal achievements behind his fortune that give it value in his life. And yet, the burden of protecting his fortune from the greedy hands of those who want it for all the wrong reasons will always prevent him from being as content as his nephew Donald, for whom a simple ice cream soda is complete happiness."

--Don Rosa, "The Making of
Yehia Shehata
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This collection remains one of my favorite Disney comics, ever since reading it in Arabic in Mickey magazine when I was a kid, to re-reading it (along with some of the unpublished chapters in the companion), I consider it to be one of my all-time favorite comic books.

The reason I am writing this now is:

The release of a music album (by Nightwish keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen) which is inspired by that very same comic and its character.

I only hope (I wish) this would spark some renewed interest in
Mith
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any 90's kid!
"Life is like a hurricane, here in Duckburg. Race cars, lasers, aeroplanes - it's a duck blur!"

If you have no idea what I'm talking about then YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!! DuckTales happened to be my THE most favourite show on TV as a kid. I loved it then and I love it now. So you can imagine my delight when I found this little treasure.

This book focuses more on Scrooge McDuck and gives us a detailed insight into his past by telling the tale of how Scrooge came to be the richest duck in the world (his w
Niki
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's no way to sugarcoat this: you need to read this. You don't have to like comics, or the Duck family, or Disney. This is a wonderful piece of storytelling in its own right. Basically iconic. Do yourself a favour, friend.

(I'm very proud to own an actual hardcover of this, although, to be precise, mine is the translated Greek edition)
lydia
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scrooge McDuck, tougher than the toughies, and sharper than the sharpies , is the best duck of them all. Don Rosa tells the epic story of his adventurous life, and manages to create a determined, honest (most of the time), well-crafted character, who can in many ways be an inspiration. Try hard and fail, and then try harder and fail again and again, but never give up, until you are the richest man in the world. Nah, just kidding. But Scrooge’s journey is indeed a reminder that we should believe ...more
Brent
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: carl-barks
As kids my brother and I collected comic books. One day we found a HUGE box of old comics at a swap meet, which we promptly convinced our parents to buy. When we got home we divided up our loot Jeffy (my brother) got the Spiderman, X-men,and Fantastic Four, while I got the Batman, Ironman and Daredevil, and we divided up the rest of the superheros Jeffy took most of the Marvel stuff because we liked them the best(thats the way older brothers are) and I got the D.C. ultimatly we were both happy. ...more
Ioan
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comics
Phandom Duck
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Scrooge McDuck, the grumpy old businessman, who possesess more wealth than anyone could ever imagine and who happens to be Donald Duck's uncle. That's all, right?

Of course not! And we have to thank Carl Barks -to begin with- and Don Rosa for adding more to the shallow statement above.

The little poor boy from Scotland, who started off from polishing shoes and earned his first dime from a local worker (well, not quite from a local worker, as we learn in one of the lost episodes, but I'm hearing th
Ethan Long
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So incredibly good!

I've always liked Scrooge McDuck, mostly because of Duck Tales. So when I saw he had his own biography comic books, I was all for it. The thing I wasn't expecting was for them to be really, REALLY good!

Scrooge wasn't always rich, in fact he was really poor. And he worked for everything he got. The first few stories are awesome as they travel through riverboating to cowboys in the West to prospecting across the world. The interesting thing about the stories is that Scrooge actu
Curtis Hempler
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this with my 5 year old son, and it has been a perfect before-bed book. Each chapter is a stand-alone story, but there is an over-arching story of how Scrooge McDuck traveled the world and made his fortune.

There is a great Indiana Jones style sense of adventure and exploring the unknown, without anything too scary or disturbing. The only exception is when Scrooge cheats the chief of a village, and ends up with a zombie that will follow him to the ends of the earth. This is a bit creepy if
meandermind
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have of course read them before, but actually never in this collection. And not actually this collection either, I read the Swedish version but couldn't find it.

Scrooge McDuck is my absolute favourite character, and Don Rosa is seriously the only "duckist" I like. I remember reading Kalle o Co when I was a kid and was always drawn to Rosa's darker illustrations, with all the shading and funny things going on in the background. Of course I didn't know what a master Don Rosa was until I read the
Emelie
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When I was a little girl, I used to love reading about Donald Duck and his family & friends. That wasn't really socially acceptable so when I got older I gave up on it.
But this book was amazing. I finally reconnected with this wonderful duck-world. Seeing Don Rosas drawings is so nostalgic.
And the story... I'm so surprised that it had such depth and complexity.

Read it! You won't regret it.
Irene
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
It is one of the funniest comics I have read in my life. Moreover it is well documented, it has some deep thoughts and it shows Scrooge McDuck to be a very complex character. It is a comic which surprises the reader.
Tiina
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite comic book. I like the humor, the adventure, the extremely interesting supporting characters... But most of all I like the journey Scrooge goes through. His character arc is fascinating.
Jeremy
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting to be reading this and John Updike's "Rabbit, Run" at the same time. Both are steeped in rich detail that is by turns hilarious and apt. Both are page-turners of the highest order. Most significant of all, both are beautifully rendered portraits of characters that are as compelling as they are unlikable.

Bound to ideals that make them unknowable, to peers if not readers, both Scrooge and Rabbit are drawn to a life of selfish wallowing, more figuratively in the case of the form
Orion Tippens
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck - the collected comic book series that I have relieved and enjoyed again and again after a reread every few years. Also, of my favorite recommendations to anyone that really appreciates comic books and brilliant storytelling.

Also, a comic that chokes me up at times.

This is the story of Scrooge McDuck, from his humble beginnings earning his first dime, to his near ending..coming to the final conclusion of his long, interesting life. In between, are his own mul
Timothy
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
With the new Ducktales show imminent, I thought I'd finally read this. Outside of a few small instances, it has aged pretty well. I can see why it's considered one of those comics that frequently ends up on those "best graphic novels ever" kinda lists. It has a lot of episodic adventures mixed in with an ongoing story. Based on the notes from the author after each chapter, apparently it also has a lot of callbacks to older Scrooge comics as well, but since I haven't read them I can't really comm ...more
Juho Pohjalainen
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely amazing adventure story in its own right - tense, exciting, gripping, and hilarious - not even the slightest bit deterred by its Disney origins or its main characters being cartoon animals.
Melissa Hernandez
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Life is like a hurricane here in Duckburg....well, it's the hurricane that brought the hurricane! I loved reading this so so much. It makes me appreciate the McDucks and Ducks even more.
SilverReader
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think its the best comics i ever read. The narrative, the story, the sentiment. Everything.
This and the companion book of course.
Adam Graham
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kids of my generation grew up watching Ducktales. Though it was a kid's show, the prime attraction had to be Scrooge McDuck, the most dauntless adventurer to ever appear in kid's television. Most of us kids didn't know that Scrooge had a history in comics dating 40 years prior to Duck Tales. We also had no way of knowing how huge the Duck family was in Europe. We did know that Scrooge's back story seemed to be colored with an almost impossible number of adventures.

Many of these adventures came f
Brennan
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic all-ages graphic novel in my opinion. On par with Watchmen and Sandman with the continuity and care with each issue that Don put in his run of Disney comics with callbacks from Carl Barks series of Uncle Scrooge that huge fans can get the joke or reference but new readers can get into it without needing to know that kind of stuff. Plus his art and writing are top notches for what people think is a kid comic when it really can be for the best of the best of comics and a kid comic as w ...more
Maria Retz
I loved it!!! I Love it!!!
I shall love it every time I read it!!!

Unfortunately this book is out of print in Denmark and the publisher said there isn't any chance it will be published again someday :(
For a long time I have thought about buying it in English (I just haven't checked if it's the same with the English version, but hopefully not - because I simply MUST own this book).

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is full of humour and I love the way Don Rosa draws - all those rich details :)

I
Rachel Rogers
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Don Rosa is a genius! If only the Donald Duck books coming out today had ANY part of the spark that these had. And to think this was done as an homage to Carl Barks. My 6 year old daughter LOVES Scrooge and Donald and these have turned into a 3 generational shared experience. My 6 year old, her 40 year old parents and my 75 year old father all love these. The breadth of the stories, the text density and complexity is amazing. Can't wait to give her volume 2 to read.
Alejandro
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
A very nice backstory to everyone's favourite and grumpy rich uncle Scrooge McDuck.
Very entertaining and imaginative, unfortunately the turning sour of Scrooge is not as "believable" if compared to the rest of his adventures..
Amine El abaoui
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A deep story of the richest duck ever. With a lot of fun facts and real historical events !
Aris Catsambas
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the signs the world is becoming a better place is that comic books are increasingly accepted as a "serious" form of art. There are many excellent comic books out there - from the more childish Asterix and Lucky Luke to Calvin and Hobbes to gritty graphic novels like Maus; yet the best one, I believe, is Don Rosa's Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.

Most people know of the titular character only as Donald Duck's rich and stingy uncle; however, there is much more to him. Scrooge McDuck is the
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Traveling Comics ...: The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck 1 14 Feb 25, 2013 10:48AM

• Walt Disney's Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 23: Bridge of Tears (Usagi Yojimbo, #23)
  • Mafalda 3
  • An Exile in Japan (Adolf #2)
  • Mickey Mouse, Vol. 1: Race to Death Valley
  • Obelix and Co. (Asterix, #23)
  • The Book of Leviathan
Keno Don Hugo Rosa (born June 29, 1951), is an American comic book writer and illustrator known best for his stories about Scrooge McDuck, Donald Duck and other Duck Family characters. Many of his stories are built on characters and locations created by Carl Barks.

In 1995 he won the Eisner Award for "Best Serialized Story" for his 12-chapter work The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. He received

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck (3 books)
  • The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Companion
  • Onkel Dagobert – Sein Leben, seine Milliarden: Die Biografie von Don Rosa
“Oh, anche se non fosse diventato ricco, vostro zio sarebbe stato un papero veramente speciale! Credetemi!
Vedete, era già ricco quando arrivò nel Klondike! Si possiede una vera ricchezza se si ama il proprio lavoro e se si hanno amici leali e parenti affettuosi come voi!
Paperone è veramente ricco di ricordi!
I ricordi... sono un po' come questi cioccolatini: sono rimasti inalterati nel tempo... sono intatti, ma... ancora dolci, dolcissimi, nonostante siano trascorsi tanti anni!”
2 likes
“Se fosse davvero oro, tutto questo finirebbe! Sarei più ricco, ma non sarei mai più lo stesso! L'aria fresca avrà un profumo migliore? I giorni di Sole saranno più luminosi? Le notte stellate nasconderanno altri segreti? O perderò tutto questo? Ma io davvero voglio essere... ricco?

(Capitolo VIII)”