Start by marking “Windward” as Want to Read:
Windward

Windward

When dragons fight, mountains weep.

In nests high in the mountains, dragons and dragonbonded share their lives, thoughts, feelings, and ambitions.

Palon and her partner, the dragon Windward, are renowned among their nest for their flying skill. Their days are filled with everything she loves, especially riding the wind. Even being tasked with teaching their way of life to Te
Published September 27th 2019 by Hakea Media

To ask other readers questions about Windward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windward

Start your review of Windward
Erika Winterlia
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

First of all, I want to say that this is a great book with a new take on dragons (at least for me). I found the world very interesting and the characters were well developed and there was a great plot with good twists and turns that made it interesting to read all the way to the end. So, if you like fantasy, and dragons, don’t hesitate to order a copy of this book. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

In the book we meet Palon who’s bonded to
Melissa
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WS_BOOKCLUB
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-adult
Thank you to the author for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest opinion. This book is available for purchase now.

Dragons!!!! Books are always better with dragons, in my opinion, and I absolutely loved how they were portrayed in this book. They didn’t take a back seat to the human characters; instead adding an extra layer of awesome. They were very tribal, and had a fully developed hierarchy, which was incredibly creative.

Another win for me with this book is how, instead of the
Jeffrey A. Dewey
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Interesting

Interesting storyline and read with different take on riders and their dragons with their bonding in peril as they age or due to another reason.
Trudie Skies
Apr 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Fantasy tales and dragons go hand-in-hand just like dragons and dragon riders, and Windward by S. Kaeth is a wonderful fantasy tale which delves deep into the relationships between dragons and their bonded humans.

In this world, dragons and humans coexist in an almost symbiotic way. Both benefit from a mutual relationship – the dragon finds a companion in their human friend, and the human gets to ride on a freakin’ dragon – but this relationship comes with some caveats. For one, humans have to gi
Ghost
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an advanced copy of Windward from the author in exchange for a review.

Windward was a quick read with memorable moments and some memorable characters. The world felt lived in and established and the author draws you in and makes you feel apart of it right from the beginning. The book teeters on the edge of what I would consider appropriate for YA but does deal with some themes that may be inappropriate for the younger side of that spectrum.
The book follows Palon, a woman who is physi
K. J. Harrowick
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
True rating: 4.5 stars

Why I picked up this book:
I received this ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. But, before that happened, I had the honor of meeting S. Kaeth during the first season of Writer In Motion, and I found her to be a delightful, warm-hearted woman. So when she told me about her story and asked if I'd review it--after all, we're both dragon lovers--I squealed in delight.

This review may contain spoilers.

What I loved:
One of my favorite things about this story is th
Paulette Kennedy
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Giant. Flying. Cats.

I’ll start there, because with that gorgeous cover, you already know there are dragons within the pages!

If you like classic fantasy, you will love this book. The dragons are magnificent and the telepathic bond they share with their human companions makes for a unique plot element.

But it’s the characters who really shine in Windward.

Palon is strong, stoic, and fearless—she reminds me a bit of Lagertha from Vikings. I enjoyed her relationship with her dragon Windward, but rea
S Rasmussen
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now what a book. This is either my new fav or a close second. As I neared the end, I couldn't sleep until I had finished it. And that's rare for me

The biggest pillar in this book is the characters. I think I will always remember some of the scenes between Palon and Tebah and Palon and Aturadin. Especially as the two sit around the fire. The characters simply felt very real to me

Also, the worldbuilding and the setting gives a pluss as well. Telepathic dragons living on top of a cave system in the
Ben Gartner
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a complex novel establishing a new world where people bond with their dragons on a telepathic level. The subtle and convincing way this was portrayed by the author felt natural and real to me, almost like how we sometimes think our pets can hear our thoughts or sense our emotions. The writing is artistic and the plot intriguing, but the guilty pleasure that excited me most about the novel was how dragon flight is described — it was done in such an imaginative and engrossing way in every ...more
Rachel
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Any fans of Dragonriders of Pern would love this book about the deep relationship between dragons and their bonded.

I love Palon and all her faults. I love her consistency, her quick temper, her bravery and wildness, and I love her relationship with Windward. You can feel through the story how loving and wonderful their bond is and I loved reading about it! All the characters are well written and versed, I think they had great and thorough personalities, especially the antagonist who I can't STAN
Jerusha Renee
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what to expect when I picked up this book, other than dragons. What I discovered within its pages amazed and captivated me so much I had to put aside all my NaNoWriMo plans to finish it one weekend. I loved the unique take on dragons and their connection to their Bonded. The characters had depth and likable personalities. While the main character made mistakes, there was never a time I felt like banging my head against the wall in response to her decisions. The world felt larger th ...more
Catherine
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun read! The author did an amazing job depicting a world that I'm dying to know more about, in which people bond with dragons. There was plenty going on, the subplots were woven together really well, and I constantly found myself not wanting to put it down. I loved the little details about life in the dragon/bonded community and the characters' relationships with their dragons. Also, Palon and Windward make such a great team.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes fantasy.
Kathryn
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the dragons and their world. The human relationships with their dragons are fantastic and make for a lot of tension! Palon and Windward are great characters - I like the way Palon matures along with Tebah, the newling in her charge.
If you like Anne McCaffrey's dragonriders books you should like this too.
Sifa Poulton
Aravind Pradhyumnan
Feb 29, 2020
Ms. Martian
Mar 09, 2020

• Spellslinger (Spellslinger, #1)
  • Shadowblack (Spellslinger, #2)
  • A Lonely World Where The People Are Blue (A Galaxy, Alive, #1)
  • Love Is a Revolution
  • Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)
  • Squirrel Meets World (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, #1)
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
  • Grown
  • Slade House
  • Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
  • Wilder Girls
  • A Curious Boy: The Making of a Scientist
  • The Haunting of Hill House
  • Emergency Skin
  • The Book of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #1)
  • The Trials of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #2)
  • The Godling Staff (Dragons of Daegonlot, #3)
  • Into the Myste (Dragons of Daegonlot #2)
SK is the indie author of Windward and Between Starfalls. She's a co-founder of Indie Story Geek as well as a co-founder of Teacup Dragon. You'll also find her at WriteHive, where she is a Coordinator, and Writer In Motion as Forum Moderator, and when she’s not buried under edits, you can often find her cheering people on in Twitter’s Writing Community.

Stay in touch on her mailing list!

News & Interviews