Start by marking “Love Underground: Persephone's Tale: (The Goddesses #1)” as Want to Read:
Love Underground: Persephone's Tale: (The Goddesses #1)

Love Underground: Persephone's Tale:

(The Goddesses #1)

Young Persephone is the most beautiful maiden in Hellas. But all the boys are scared away by her mother, Demeter, whose mysterious powers must have come from the gods. So Persephone keeps her distance, and spends her days living a sheltered life. Then one day, Hades--the dreaded lord of the dead--sees Persephone. Enchanted, he whisks her deep into his dark realm. At first, ...more
Published July 5th 2005 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Love Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Underground

Ragnell
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Colleen
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
AK Anderson
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
An engaging story, with well-written characters. I'm working on a Persephone retelling of my own, so this was useful for me to read. It didn't include some of the more troubling, negative aspects that other modern retellings have, so that drew me to it.

Likes: Fields gave all of the female characters agency and ownership of their choices. I really appreciated that aspect a great deal. Lovely writing. Fields can work with words.

Dislikes: Really wonky with the myths themselves (Triptolemus is Perse
Jessi
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Goddess series, but I ended up reading it last. The three have nothing to do with each other so it doesn't really matter much, but there is definitely something to the saying "the first book in the series is usually the best."

I really got so into this book that I couldn't put it down. I still don't know if Hades was human or not. This book did have a more supernatural feel. The time underground was different than the time above ground. Demeter somehow was controllin
Aisha Oaktree
This is another spin on the tales of Persephone and her mom Demeter. I happen to love this version. It's a more down to earth version, seen through the eyes of Persephone. It;s about their lives and how they live in a village and what leads up to her wondering into Hades home.

In this book Hades is also very "human" in that he has issues he works on when he gets with Persephone, it of course sticks close to the Greek myth, with Demeter not growing her plants and abandoning the village to itself a
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
If you're bored and need something to read, this is a decent book. The lack of 5 stars isn't on the author's writing ability - she has a fluid style and pays attention to detail and keeps things interesting.

But the title is misleading. There are no gods or goddesses here. The series is misnamed - no one is a goddess, not even Persephone. Overall this was a good story, but don't expect a tale of goddesses here, because you will not find any.

Also, there's not a lot of romance in here. Hades and Pe
AM Lyvers
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm a sucker for Greek myths, especially Persephone and Hades.
With a bit of a slow start, LOVE UNDERGROUND is an intertesting adaption of the myth. I especially enjoyed how Fields interpreted Hermes as a boy-next-door. I would've enjoyed more scenes between Hades and Persephone. How she went from hating him to love felt a bit rushed. It also would've been interesting to learn more about Hades' underworld instead of painting it as this mystical place. Since Fields took great effort to humanize th
Megan Murphy
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Drucilla
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: f
Actual rating: 2.5 stars. Fields did some things well, like Persephone's character, but, on the whole, it wasn't put together very well. She picked which aspects of mythology she wanted to incorporated as "real" and left the rest as mythology and it comes off weird. Even her own internally mythology wasn't explained well (what's the deal with Hades?). I would have much rather it have been written like Fatal Attraction and her have just made the gods mortals.
Erin
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the second of the series that I've read and I must say, these are REALLY good. If you are a fan of mythology and would like a better look into the minds of the Goddesses, these are interesting and intriguing romances.
Isabelle Macnider
I loved this book, it has all the elements of a great story. A real-life twist on a mythical tale.
Kim
Feb 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
It was interesting twist on a well known myth, and I really enjoyed it!
Christel
Jun 23, 2012
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Oct 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: greek-mythology
Hades and Persephone make a great couple. I like Fields' take on a timeless tale.
Leena
Nov 01, 2017
Sarah Freyermuth
Jan 22, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Dazzling Brightness (Greek Myths, #1)
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • Graffiti Knight
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 2
  • Bewitched
  • Aphrodite's Blessings: Love Stories from the Greek Myths
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 5
  • Thor's Wedding Day: By Thialfi, the goat boy, as told to and translated by Bruce Coville
  • A Distant Soil, Vol. 1: The Gathering
  • La Corda d'Oro, Volume 6
  • The City in the Lake
  • Haunted
  • Mortebouse (Lou!, #2)
  • Cupid: A Tale of Love and Desire
  • Otomen, Vol. 11 (Otomen, #11)
  • The Water Nymph (Arboretti Family, #2)
  • Moonglow

The Goddesses (3 books)
  • Fatal Attraction: Aphrodite's Tale: (The Goddesses #2)
  • All's Fair in Love and War: Athena's Tale: (The Goddesses #3)