Start by marking “Ryan White: My Own Story” as Want to Read:
Ryan White: My Own Story

Ryan White: My Own Story

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  730 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
A touching tale of a courageous young man, his battle against fear and hatred, and his fight to educate the public about AIDS. "A story of tragedy and courage that should be reade by all."—Dallas Morning News.
Published August 4th 1992 by Signet (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Ryan White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ryan White

Sharon
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
I met Ryan White and his mother as he was working the circuit, raising AIDS awareness. AIDS wasn't well understood or even very well known about at all (some people had never heard of it) - it was at CBS, where my stepfather worked for the CBS Morning News at the time. I happened to go in to work with him that day and Ryan and Mrs. White were there to do an interview. Before he was brought into the studio, everyone on the set was informed that the child about to do an interview had AIDS. Every p ...more
Sylvia
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a sad and powerful to read. This book is about an incredible boy named Ryan White who has AIDS. He had to go through a terrible phase where everybody around him treated him with disrespect just because he has AIDS. This just goes to show how cruel the world is today. Ryan is a very inspiring person because even though everybody treated him badly, he always kept positive and lived his life just like any other boy. He never took anything or anyone for granted and he died in happiness and ...more
Jonathan
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
When I decided to pick up the book, My Own Story, By Ryan White, I felt that it was going to be an okay reading. Only when I started to read into the book, did I realize that I was reading a powerful one. The book is written from the first person perspective of a young teen named Ryan White. Ryan White is like any other kid, except for the fact that he has hemopholia and has AIDS. The story was a bit sad at some points because a lot of bad things were happening to Ryan. A particularly sad part ...more
Chana
Laughed and cried my way all the way through it. Ryan is such a character and he just makes you laugh all the way through. He is so incredible; he accomplished so much! Not just in fighting the prejudice against people with AIDS, but in everything he did; skateboarding and acting, giving speeches, comforting and educating people who were scared of AIDS. At 16 he was driving his own car and working in a skate shop, after being told he probably had about 6 months to live when he was 13. I know ple ...more
Jeanae Tyra
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This wasn't a book, it was memory of a small soldier. I now have respect for Elton John more than before and (although I always loved him)...Michael Jackson. Ryan White was a great book and I actually thought about crying(but didn't). I gab it a 5 because he beat AIDS not with a cure or a process, he beat it by never giving up. So many people I know gave into the depression and heartache that came with AIDS. At such young age he fought for EVERYTHING and EVERY problem. He went to school, he foug ...more
Ashley
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has been one of my favorite books since i was in 7th grade. I fell in love with Ryan and his not so beautiful story. Ryan White: My Own Story is a non fiction book about Ryan's life and struggles of having AIDS. Ryan White was born with hemophilia. Due to the fact Ryan had hemophilia the medical condition would bring him to the hospital quit often to receive blood transfusion.Ryan White was given a contaminated blood transfusion and contracted AIDS at the age of 13. Back when AIDS first cam ...more
Shaida Hossein
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I borrowed this book from a friend, and it took me a while to get into it. No matter the storyline was slow, Ryan's story is inspiring on so many levels. You always hear stories about children having to overcome adversity, well this was Ryan's life from the first day of his life. First he had to deal with the limitations that came with being a hemophilic. Then through his treatment for hemophilia he contracted full-blown AIDS. And if that wasn't enough obstacles for Ryan to overcome, he had to o ...more
Heather
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
I had no idea the amount of hate and prejudice Ryan White and his family endured over his AIDS diagnoses. It's unreal to me how cruel his community, neighbors, school and friends were to him and his family. I suppose they were just scared of this killer disease that no one had heard of before and was spreading throughout the world like an epidemic.

Ryan White is an amazing and inspiring individual. Despite his battling hemophilia and AIDS he kept a positive attitude and a deep love of life. He n
Valerie Gonzales
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After viewing his room and short story at Indianapolis children's museum I decided to read more, I remembered the tv and papers when I was younger but now wanted to learn more. I read the book and rarely put it down. Here I am 4 1/2 hours later and I am so motivated by this young mans life. He is a true hero, and I am vey glad I got to learn more of his story. I think more people should read this book so they to can understand what any prejudices do to people and families.
Elisha (lishie)
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ryan White came to my Jr. High in FL and I showed him around. I was asked to because I candy striped at a Pediatric Aids Ward In the hospital near me. We really got on well. He was so sweet and appreciated the fact that I was educated on the subject and hoped to educate others. I have done so by continuing from then and still now with volunteering and working for AIDS charities!
3Malik
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was very good. Ryan had to go through a lot of persecution because he had aids. Ryan went to churches and they neglected him. Shows how cruel people can be even if they are suppose holy. Ryan died at a very young age. When he did many people attended his funeral including his close friend Elton John, but not to close.
Emma
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Fascinated by the story, but the style of writing made it a slog to get through. Ryan was in his teens when he wrote this, and it was written FOR young teens, so I appreciate the juvenile nature of such serious ideas - but all the same - I think I'd prefer to read his mother or sister's biography. This all seemed very clean and simplified.

That said - heart-breaking.
Lamec Mariita
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found the story very touching.It can bring tears to your eyes. Because of Ryan White, new light has been shed on the entire AIDS issue. He was so brave.He is a true inspiration to all of us. I totally recommend the book.It's amazing.
Karen
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This book had a good story and gave good background on how people used to treat people with AIDS. It was written by a child though so it's not a high quality of writing. Still a nice book to celebrate one young boy's life.
Shaionna beavers
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. Ryan White had an amazing story. He was a fighter to the end. He was a very loving child. Even with all the stuff on his plate, Ryan never gave up. People who know that their tend to be bitter but not him. He was very POSITIVE.
Michelle
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a teen & wanted to just wrap Ryan up in my arms & hug this poor kid! He faced so many challenges & did it with a grace we could all only pray to have. I remember hearing he died & being so sad. I still to this day admire Ryan, his mom, & sister!
Kim
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kim by: www.listia.com/Betty Kring
Shelves: true-stories
won from www.listia.com
this is a true story if you like true stories you should read this one
Gennesy Javier
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i love this book ! and then in 8th grade i saw the movie , this is truly a sad story and he shouldve never been treated that way at all :/ rest in paradise Ryan White :[
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I remember reading this in Jr high. What a sad story and a very sad ending.
Seneca Massie
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This one young man had enough courage and strength for 20 people his age and older. I wish there were more Ryan Whites out there and this world would be a better and more safe place to be.
Princess Harmony Anderson
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Since this book gives account of how he was treated I try to recomend that all young people read it. It will show them how their actions hurt others and to watch what they say and do.
Swaroop
Ryan White: My own story
This is the story of the first boy who had got AIDS. This is a story of forgiveness, hope, bravery, and a lot of strength! He was called names, rejected by his school, denied by common kids in the outdoors but he stayed strong all the way through. He had a sister with an extreme talent for ice skating who had to abandon her career because of him, since he had AIDS everybody insulted both of them, but she stood up for him even when he was made fun of by her friends too… in
Jacklyn Matefi
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sep. 20 2011
RYAN WHITE: MY OWN STORY
by: ryan white and ann marie cunningham
genre: autobiography

I think that this is a very inspirational story of a young boy who has to overcome a deadly disease AIDS, and the story of how it effects himself, and his family. first off he was born with another disease: hemophilia, which ment that he couldn't play too many sports or his favorite one basketball, or if he got hurt he would bleed and would not heal for 3 or 4 times the regular persons amount. when he
Denise (deesbooknook)
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
This is the most infuriating/saddest book I've ever read. Never before has a book made me this emotional. I'm gonna try to make this as unspoilery as I can.

This book told the story of a 13-year-old boy named Ryan White. He was born a hemophiliac which means that his blood couldn't clot like a healthy person's can. So, in order for him not to bleed to death, he had to get injections of Factor VIII. It's made out of healthy blood and it would help clot the blood. One day, Ryan got very ill with p
Corey
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I was sitting here thinking of which books to add to my "read" list, this book, and more importantly this young man's story, came to mind. I read this when I was 12 years old, and am writing this review 16 years later. That in itself should help you understand how very impactful his story was to me, and I know I'm not alone in that regard.

The book is an easy 5 out 5 stars, and should be a required read in school.

As an aside, I will also tell you I remained very confused about Michael Jackson
Nigel Carroll
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been aware of Ryan since a very young age, due to Michael Jacksons Dangerous: The Short Films release. I didn't exaclty understand what it was Ryan Had when that video came out, but as I got older I learned about what AIDS was because of Ryan as a young kid- much younger than most I'd imagine. I remember Freddie Mercurys death being due to AIDS, but seeing Ryan as this young kid who had lived his life not only trying to survive with a terminal disease, but also survive the society he lived ...more
Jodi
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Teleia
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this book in the free bin at the Community Center last week. I don't think I read it as a high schooler when Ryan White was alive, or at the time of his death.

It does seem as if Ryan actually wrote or dictated this book. It's very conversational and teen-appropriate. I liked Ryan's stories of his interactions with famous people and I loved his attitude toward his illnesses. His mom and sister and he were very close, and it was nice to read about that, too.

And wow! Times have changed sin
Jolisa
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryan White was Born on December 6, 1971 in Kokomo, Indiana. When He was three years old doctors informed his parents that he had Hemophilia. Fortunately for Ryan and his parents, a new treatment, called factor VII, recently have beened approved. Even with the treatment he still had to be careful. Ryans mother couldn't be stressed out enough. I could Compare him to someone i knew that had HIV and his community didn't want him anywhere around the other Children because they where scared that the o ...more
Kate
Apr 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was in late middle school or early high school. It's definitely interesting to look back now on how the attitudes have changed about AIDS in really not that many years. It has been a long time since I've read this book, but it still resonates with me. Hearing about Ryan White's experiences through his own point of view made this book both more accessible and more touching.
YIS Class of 2017: Ryan White Story 2 6 Jul 18, 2012 01:53AM
  • Den of Lions: A Startling Memoir of Survival and Triumph
  • Foreign Tongue: A Novel of Life and Love in Paris
  • Honky
  • Men Who Can't Love: How to Recognize a Commitment Phobic Man Before He Breaks Your Heart
  • The Road to Her
  • If You Only Knew (Friendship Ring, #1)
  • The Book of Beasts (Hollow Earth, #3)
  • Switching Teams: What Coming Out Later in Life Taught Me about Love, Conquering Fear and Accepting Change
  • Love You to Bits and Pieces: Life with David Helfgott