Start by marking “Balanced Scales (Untold Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Balanced Scales (Untold Tales, #1)

Balanced Scales

(Untold Tales #1)

A shipwreck leads to the thing mermaids most fear…

ebook

To ask other readers questions about Balanced Scales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balanced Scales

Start your review of Balanced Scales (Untold Tales, #1)
Brianna Belbin
This was an amazing retelling of The Little Mermaid! After Mari saves a man from a shipwreck on her eighteenth birthday, she loses her soul. Determined to get it back and every other soul that mermaids have had stolen from them, she finds the Sea Witch to gain further information and instructions. Mari, Shelbie, and Aaron (the man she rescued) go on a journey to find the lost souls. The land is unknown territory for Mari and she isn’t quite sure who to trust. I really loved Shelbie’s, Mari’s sid ...more
Renée
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Balanced Scales by Laura Greenwood is a fascinating twist on both classic and Disney tales of the Little Mermaid, which I was so drawn into just from the first chapter.
Laura’s retelling sees Mari and her seal companion Shelbie, set out on an adventure to get back Mari’s soul, and hopefully the souls back for the other soulless mer.
Aimee Bower
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mari thought she was doing the right thing when she saved a man's life. What she didn't know is it would end with her soul being taken. Her father tells her what has happened to her, makes mention of a sea witch. Mari investigates more about this sea witch. Mari goes to where this sea witch is living. The sea witch gives her information and gives her everything she needs to go to land.
Mari takes the potion to go to land and she meets a ghost named Aaron. He helps her learn how to walk and small
Agata Jędrzejewska
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s an interesting story. Mari did lost her soul, as so many before her. But she didn’t stop on thinking that it will somehow go, she reacted. She put her tryst in a wrong person but luckily found the right person to trust as well. She learnt why the souls are stolen, she learnt a lot. And at the end she just might find more than her soul and more than she hoped.
Christina Luberts
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A short read on the retelling of Little Mermaid. We have a little action, adventure and of course some fun. Mari loses her soul and needs to go on to land to find it. Can she find it? Which an can she trust? Or is she on her own? Can she find the other mer's souls too?

Cailin
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun and mermaidy!

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review, and I loved this story!! I loved the little details and bits of humour; they really made the story extra fun for me. The tale was interesting from the start and kept me engaged. I recommend it!
Courtney
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoy listening to Laura’s audiobooks, especially when I am looking for a break from the long series or even books that are relatively long. Sometimes its nice to listen to a book over a couple lunch breaks. This one for me had a lot of potential but I think the narration brought it down for me honestly. If Laura had used some of her other narrators that I really enjoy, then I think this would have gotten 4 stars across the board.

The storyline was cute and fun, I liked our MC’s friend Shelby
Claire Milbrandt
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairy-tales
This is an amazing retelling of the Little Mermaid story! Mari is a curious mermaid who comes across a sinking ship on her 18th birthday. She saves a human from the wreck and loses her soul in the process. After realizing that she has lost her soul, she - with her best friend, Shelbie - embarks on a journey to seek out the sea witch (not evil!), go on land, and find the souls of all the merpeople from the past. As she starts she meets a "ghost" named Aaron, who helps her start to find the souls. ...more
Felicia
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Balanced Scales by Laura Greenwood is a fairy tale retelling of The Little Mermaid that I listened to on audio narrated by Courtney Encheff.

I just love Laura’s books! They always leave me begging for more. The story did end leaving me with some questions. So I would love to see more on this series but I know it was published as standalone. But a girl can always hope.

Courtney did a great job on the narration. Her voice was perfect for Mari! I cannot wait to listen to other projects that she has
Barbara
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book one in the Untold Tales series a well written story that kept me turning pages. Mari a mermaid loses her soul and with her pet seal-turned-dog, Shelbie they go on to dry land to find it. They will meet Aaron a corporal figure, and human Erickson, but one of the men is very evil. Who should she trust. I want to read the next book in this series. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Michelle
I do love a great retelling of The Little Mermaid and this book is just that. The characters are well developed and the storyline is fun, well paced and well written. Mari ventures out to land in search of her soul and meets some interesting characters along the way. This is an entertaining story that held my attention from the first page until the last. I can't wait to read the next book in the Untold Tales series. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book.
Gizel Alvarez
Audible Review

with a Nancy drew vives, I found the heroine too irritating with her overly naive nature she felt unreal too me, some points where interesting but others I dragged and for this short was just not for me.

narration was ok personally the narrator needs a partner for Male counterparts her voice is too feminine to force a male voice.

audiobook Obsessions 🎧
Cali Jewel
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this exciting, action packed retelling of a classic filled with interesting twists on some beloved charters, an intriguing and hart racing read from beginning to end. Excellent reading!
Amanda
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I listened to the Audible version. Balanced Scales was so different from the Disney version of The Little Mermaid that I actually wondered if there was a Brothers Grimm version that it was closer to. As far as I know, it's not. It's just a different imagining of a mermaid moving from the ocean to land.

I've also listened to If The Shoe Fits by Laura Greenwood and I preferred that one, but Balances Scales is good too for a short story.

Courtney Encheff's voice is good for Mari's character and gave
Reena
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing story by Laura Greenwood

"Balanced Scales" is the first standalone book in Laura Greenwood's new series "Untold Tales". An action-packed retelling of the Little Mermaid, just not as you may remember it from your childhood. The storyline is intriguing, with lots of plot twists, adventure and a spot of romance. If you're a fan of fairytale retellings with a twist, you'll definitely love this one. I sure did!!!

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leav
Phoebe
A fairy tale retelling of the “Little Mermaid”....

At great risk to herself, Mari saves a man from drowning. When she gets him to land, he tries to return the favor, but then she tells him that she is a mermaid. Suddenly she experiences a great pain.

Unbeknownst to Mari, she has just had her soul stolen. When she finds out how many other innocents have had their souls stolen, she is determined to get not only her soul back, but theirs too.

Mari makes a deal with a witch which may doom her forever
Jennifer G
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Mer have one basic rule. Do not go near the surface before your 18th birthday. Mari did and now she is soulless. Yes, she had a noble reason but that doesn't change the facts. Afraid of not existing in the afterworld, Mari is determined to get her soul as well as the other lost souls back. Mari and her faithful companion, Shelby, her seal visit the Sea Witch for the magic to go on land. Once on land, with the help of a spirit and a human man, Mari sets out on her quest. But land isn't what Mari ...more
Billie
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A shipwreck leads to the thing mermaids most fear…
Mari has joined the ranks of the soulless mer, cursed to disappear when they die and not live on in the spirit world. There's only one way to stop it but that involves something no one has ever managed before. With the aid of her shape-shifting pet seal, a rescued sailor, and the spirit of a man she can't even see, Mari ventures onto land for the first time in her life, determined to save the souls of her people.
But the land of men comes with man
Marjorie
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A mermaid who doesn't give up her voice and tail for a boy, in fact, she grew up hearing stories about THAT little mermaid. While the stories she heard have a Disney-esque ending, the version the humans tell is decidedly more like the Hans Christian Anderson version. And that becomes important.

This is a modern heroine with a mission to help her people, not just a silly love story about a spoiled princess who has everything and throws it away for an infatuation. Good characterization and world bu
Daisy Sauceda
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This a a great short read. I love mermaids so I was intrigued about this one. Mari has now become a soulless mermaid. How does that happen? Good question, you will have to read that part. So she ends up going on land to retrieve her soul by while she is there she gets images of the same thing happening to someone else years before. She meets Erikson on land and she can tell something is different about him. She also meets Aaron who is a spirit. She is on a mission to find the lost mermaid souls ...more
Emily Pennington
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This was a fun retelling of The Little Mermaid, which is a favorite story for me. Mari, with her kind heart, breaks the rule about not going to the surface before her 18th birthday. She saved a man's life which ended up with her losing her own soul in the process. She goes to the sea witch to get more information so that she can go onto the land and search.

Aaron, a ghost Mari meets, helps her navigate on land. But he disappears. When she meets up with the man she had rescued, he wants to help h
Tammy Northington
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
What's a mermaid to do when her soul is stolen & she finds out her's isn't the only one? Easy. You leave the water & head to land to get all the souls back. She meets up with the human who caused her to lose her soul & accepts his help with trying to locate them all. She meets a ghost who she knows she can trust even tho she's not sure why. She knows she's going to have to fight to get the souls & release them when she finds out exactly who has them all captive.

I thought this was a wonderful spi
sherri jones-teachout
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A young soulless mermaid on a mission. In saving a shipwrecked young man, Mari has her soul stolen. She goes to the Sea Witch to find out how she can get it back. The Sea Witch has lost her soul also and Mari promises to set all of the stolen souls free. She goes on land and meets Erickson the young man she saved. He says he will help her but, she meets Aaron another person whose soul has been stolen and he seems like a ghost. He doesn’t trust Erickson. When she finds out that the humans are usi ...more
Jessica Mitchell
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very intriguing and fantastic retelling story of the Little Mermaid. Adventure, action and drama. With- is that a bit of romance maybe? Lol. It was a great retelling of the story. I loved it with all the twists and turns in this story. It's definitely not the Little Mermaid we grew up knowing, but it's still enchanting anyhow!
Mari lost something very precious to her and she will find it at any cost necessary. Not just for her, but those of the past too. With her trustee pal Shelbie by her side
Anita Fuhrmann
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Little Mermaid with HEAT. This is a great retelling of the wonderful Disney classic fairytale but for adults.
Mari goes looking for what she has lost...her soul. To find it she will have to get out of the safety of the water and move onto land and away from that comfort zone. Will she find her lost soul? Will she be able to save the rest of the merpeople who have also lost their souls? Does she find that rarest of all treasures - true love and her own HEA? Another delightful book from Laura G
Douglas Williamson
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our heroine is on a quest to find her lost soul, but to do so, she must venture forth into unknown territory: land.

This is a retelling of the Little Mermaid story, but while it takes its inspiration from there, it provides an entirely fresh perspective and story. The story is well written and easy to read with an interesting cast of characters (including a shapeshifting seal!) that are fun to interact with. The plot includes several twists and turns and moves along at a good pace. Overall, the s
Donna
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the new Untold Tales series, which are fairy tales retellings, and this one is The Little Mermaid. It's an enjoyable read, and an interesting take on the story, though you do sometimes want to give her a good shake and say "duh!" as she is very thick! So if you're a fan of fairytale retellings, this is definitely one to read, and I'm really looking forward to the next one!
NB I received a complimentary copy of the book but I always give an HONEST review, based wholly on
Sassy Angel
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a good story by Laura Greenwood. I couldn’t put it down. I always like fairy tales that are reimagined.

Mari is a young mermaid and knows that she shouldn’t go to the surface but feels the need to when a human male needs her help. The next thing she knows, she is without her soul. She decides that she is going to go on land to get her soul back. She meets Aaron and Ericson. Will they help her on her quest? Or will they stop her?

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am vol
Emily
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great retelling of the little mermaid! Mari is on a quest to save her soul, and the souls of all her people, so she ventures onto land. I really loved Mari and her pet seal-turned-dog, Shelbie. This was a unique reimagining of the little mermaid that was very interesting and exciting. It’s well written and the characters are well developed. I definitely recommit to anyone who loves fairy tale retellings!

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving
Anne Dwyer
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mari has just turned 18 - and knows she shouldnt go on land or speak to humans until the next day. But she cant resist saving a man from drowning, and exposes that she is a mermaid - it costs her her soul.
There might be a way to get it back - and to free all of the other mer souls that have been taken, But who can she trust? Will she succeed? I always enjoy Laura's work!

The Paranormal Co...: On-Going Series: Untold Tales 13 10 Aug 20, 2020 10:08AM
The Paranormal Co...: New Release: Balanced Scales 1 2 Dec 12, 2019 09:42AM
The Paranormal Co...: Balanced Scales has a cover! 1 1 Jul 30, 2019 05:18AM

• Feline the Flames (The Firehouse Feline, #2)
  • Stalking Their Mate (Perfect Pairs #2)
  • Blood of Eden (The Guardians #1)
  • Third Eye Blind (Mystic Hallows Harem #4)
  • Time Hopper: Book One (Time Hopper, #1)
  • Wolf Warrior of Land (Alphas & Alchemy: Elemental Shifters, #2)
  • Demon Study (Grimway Academy, #1)
  • A Dangerous Curiosity (Holbrook Brother Shifters #3)
  • Claimed in Forbidden (Alphas & Alchemy: Fierce Mates, #1)
  • Half Soul
  • Anchored (Anchored, #1-3)
  • Curse of Stone (Academy of the Damned, #1)
  • What Happens in the Castle (What Happens series, #3)
  • Date and Dash (Better Date than Never #10)
  • More Dangerous Heroes: Sizzling Tales of Timeless Desire
  • Rescue Daddy (Timberwood Cove #6)
  • Earth Dragon's Kiss (High House Draconis, #4)
  • The Infamous Duke (Staunton Sisters, #2)
Laura is a USA Today Bestselling Author of paranormal, fantasy, and urban fantasy romance (though she can occasionally be found writing contemporary romance). When she's not writing, she drinks a lot of tea, tries to resist French macarons, and works towards a diploma in Egyptology. She lives in the UK, where most of her books are set.

You can check out Laura's Website here:
www.authorlauragreenwo

Untold Tales (6 books)
  • Golden Wings (Untold Tales, #2)
  • Poisoned Fate (Untold Tales, #3)
  • Tainted Ashes (Untold Tales, #4)
  • Braids Of Silver (Untold Tales, #5)
  • Fractured Core (Untold Tales, #6)