Start by marking “Newbie” as Want to Read:
Newbie

Newbie

Tali Nay's fourth memoir takes you to New York City, a place to which she moved in order to pursue her dream of becoming a gemologist. From her study of gems to her love of city sweets to her disgruntled, cat-hating neighbor, you'll root for her every step of the way. Newbie is not just a book about city life and what it takes for a small-town girl to adjust. It's also a b ...more
Published September 3rd 2019 by Corner Chapter Press

To ask other readers questions about Newbie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Newbie

Start your review of Newbie
Jasmyn
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This author just keeps getting better! This is the 4th book of hers that I've read and her books are just delightful. I laughed out loud reading this on an airplane, I teared up at parts...can't wait to see what she has in store next!
Jeneece Western
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was gifted to me and I SO enjoyed it! As someone who did not get the chance to live out the dream of moving to NY I really enjoyed all the energy, nuances and even annoyances and dissapointments that she captured. Everyone would find something to grumble about or hate but the fact that she was SO determined to make this something of worth made me smile so many times as she offered this glimpse of her life and dreams.
Kenley Coles
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
This book was so delightful. I felt like I was in New York, walking the streets with the author. 💕
Christa Sigman
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
As someone who also moved from Ohio to New York around the same time, I found many of the observances and anecdotes to be familiar. I would point out that the Staten Island Ferry is free - no ticket purchase on either side necessary. My personal taste in writing I don't love the way the story jumps around. I know from the introduction that is what she intended and she succeeded well, it just isn't pleasing to me as a reader.
Denver Nay
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think we all would enjoy looking back on our lives in future years and seeing that we pursued our dream. Well, Tali did that. Newbie is a memoir that shares what it’s like to leave a secure (and well paying) career, to pursue what she’s always wanted to do. My favorite parts were the chapters specifically sharing information she learned about gemstones, and the process she went through to become a gemologist...all while experiencing the best, and sometimes worst, New York City has to offer.
Autumn
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun, quick read about Tali's experiences living in New York. Tali's writing always makes me laugh. She has a good writing style and fun stories to tell.
Natori
Micaela
Feb 14, 2020
May 28, 2020

• Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • The Hidden Kingdom (Wings of Fire Graphic Novel, #3)
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (The Hundred-Year-Old Man, #1)
  • Disney's Land: Walt Disney and the Invention of the Amusement Park That Changed the World
  • Primates of Park Avenue
  • The Power of Moments: Why Certain Experiences Have Extraordinary Impact
  • Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11
  • Walk Two Moons
  • The Candy Cane Caper (Culinary Mystery, #13)
  • Hold On, But Don't Hold Still
  • Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness
  • Born Survivors
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
  • Harriet Tubman: The Road to Freedom
  • The Call of the Wild
  • All My Love, Alec Brock (Alec Brock Series #1)
Tali Nay always wanted to be a fiction writer and was thus surprised when "real life" is what came out when she actually sat down to write something substantial. Tali studied writing in college, and then—entirely by accident—found herself working in business. She went on to earn an MBA, although recently left Corporate America in order to pursue her dream of becoming a gemologist. After a stint in ...more

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...