Start by marking “Howl: A Collection of the Best Contemporary Dog Wit” as Want to Read:
Howl: A Collection of the Best Contemporary Dog Wit

Howl: A Collection of the Best Contemporary Dog Wit

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A pot roast left unguarded. An open bedroom door. An ill-timed squat. Dogs seem to have impeccable timing. Yet how quickly calamity turns to comedy in the company of a dog, and the wrong moment turns out to be just the right one.

In this delightful follow-up to Dog Is My Co-Pilot, which won the Best Book of the Year award from the Dog Writers Association of America, the ed
Published October 7th 2008 by Three Rivers Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Howl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Howl

amy
Dec 05, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swapped
I read as much as I could... To be fair, it was a different author each chapter (so they each had their own story), but after a while it became a tiresome parade of jokes about picking up poop and neutering and variations on those two themes... or sad stories about rescued animals... or both in the same chapter.
It elicited a few hearty guffaws, the two best chapters were "I Done Them Wrong" by Cathy Crimmins, and "Kirby," by Al Franken--remind me not to get a lab (black or otherwise). There may
Rebecca
Dec 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
Some of the pieces deserved 5 stars; others were skippable.
Kara
Jul 09, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was supposed to be a collection of short stories aimed at pet humor. Unfortunately, it wasn't funny.
Sabur76
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was just ok. It did have one very good story about an abandoned dog. The rest of it was not very witty, inspiring, or funny.
Marni
Mar 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collections of short sometimes funny sometimes pensive tidbits about dogs, written by dog lovers. Easy to read, no great investment of time or brain cells.
Amy
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you own a dog or love dogs, this book has some laugh-out-loud moments. I really liked Kinky Friedman's essay. However, overall, not quite a "howl."
Sassafras Lowrey
I love the Bark magazine and got this book free with my next years subscription (such a great birthday present!) and I was excited to read this book but found it mostly disappointing. I love dog stories, but these were trying to be "funny ." Mostly they just fell flat for me. I think I'm too earnest to enjoy most comedy writing so despite being a dog nut I probably wasn't the right audience for this book, that said I'm glad it's on my bookcase
Rena Sherwood
After reading a few issues of The Bark about ten years ago and enjoying their first anthology Dog is My Co-Pilot I had high hopes for this book.

Which were thoroughly dashed.

description

Don't let the cover fool you -- this is NOT funny. Let me give publishers a little advice about dog-lovers -- we do NOT find stories about dying dogs or stolen dogs that vanish forever funny. We find them horrifying and nightmare-inducing.

Now, for a book about "dog wit" you have to expect some bathroom humor and snide remark
Papalodge
Amy wrote she read as much as she could.
Agree that....this was often a tough read.
Well, you come to expect such when you opt for an anthology.

I read 'em all; the good, the bad, and the whatevers.

Many were more than rewarding. 'Dog is my Co-depndent', the endpiece has the perspective to mention .... my own dog's lfie changed for the worse the minute I brought him inside....his days as a free-range dog were numbered...eventually.
I do not what is best for him but what is best for me... and all the
Kristin
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Short stories about dogs, what could be better? Seriously, the only thing that kept this book from getting the 5th star was the lack of a story about a bulldog. C'mon, bulldogs are a laugh a minute, surely there must be anecdotes out there.
I read this off and on over dinner during the week, and the stories were perfect lengths to get through a few in an hour. There wasn't a bad one in the lot, and I was pleased to see contributions from some of my favorite dog authors like J.F. Englert and Susan
Amy Harth
The essays are ok. The description of the book and the quotes on the back make it seem as if it is a collection of funny essays about dogs. Most of these essays are not funny. Some are interesting. Some are down-right depressing. It is quite a mixed bag. But if you are looking for humor, this is not it.
Inder
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, couldntfinish, humor
Sorry - not that funny! Unless there's a real gem hidden at the end of the book (haven't made it to the end). But how often is that the case?
_____________________________
Dave Barry contributed?? Say no more!
Susan
This book just didn't find a place in my different reading stacks around the house, and I had only read two stories before it was due to be returned to the library. The stories I read got a chuckle or two out of me at the time, but definitely nothing that has stuck with me.
Lee Harrington
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lee Harrington

Yes, as a contributor to this collection, I am a bit biased, but these are some of the wittiest essays about dogs I have every read. A must-read for all dog lovers.
Donna
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good to fair collection of dog stories.
Colleen Cole
Feb 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jill
Hilarious book and not as sad or melodramatic as many books of dog themed short stories. Will make you appreciate the special sense of humor of dogs and dogowners.
Alison Hardy
Jun 17, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A fun collection of short stories about dogs. Always a welcome change from big book reading.
Stefanie
Jun 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Dog is My Co-Pilot: Great Writers on the World's Oldest Friendship
  • Katz on Dogs: A Commonsense Guide to Training and Living with Dogs
  • Craft Activism: People, Ideas, and Projects from the New Community of Handmade and How You Can Join In
  • If Only You Knew How Much I Smell You: True Portraits of Dogs
  • My Pizza: The Easy No-Knead Way to Make Spectacular Pizza at Home
  • What the Dog Did: Tales from a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner
  • Dogs I Have Met: And The People They Found
  • Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Shelter Stories
  • The Indian Slow Cooker: 50 Healthy, Easy, Authentic Recipes
  • The Merry Recluse: A Life in Essays
  • Good Old Dog: Expert Advice for Keeping Your Aging Dog Happy, Healthy, and Comfortable
  • Bitter: A Taste of the World's Most Dangerous Flavor, with Recipes