Start by marking “Dovetail” as Want to Read:
Dovetail

Dovetail

From the bestselling author of Hello Love comes a spellbinding new novel of enduring love, family secrets, and mysterious death.

Joe Arneson’s ordinary life is upended by troubling dreams of himself as a different man in another place and time. It isn’t until he visits his estranged grandmother, Pearl, in her Wisconsin hometown that a startling connection emerges.

Drawn into
Audio CD
Published March 10th 2020 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Dovetail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dovetail

Start your review of Dovetail
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

I think I would classify this as women’s fiction but with a good deal of romance.I must admit that I was hoping for a bit more about Pearls’ life but the book centers mainly about one particular event that she feels responsible for. She knows that she doesn’t have a long time to live and comes up with a plan to at least atone for part of her history.

The novel is told in a dual storyline, the past is the life Pearl lived when she was young, the second oldest of seven daughter
Christine
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Karen McQuestion
This is a story that takes place in small town Wisconsin over two timelines, 1916 and 1983. I would characterize it as a family drama/romance combo with a twist. The older tale revolves around nineteen-year-old Alice who is caring for her dad and six younger sisters after the untimely death of her mother. It also features John Lawrence, a new hire helping out on the family farm. Alice’s seventeen-year-old sister Pearl also has a major role in the 1916 timeline. The 1983 setting brings back Pearl ...more
MarilynW
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pearl, as a seventeen year old and Pearl as an eighty seven year old woman, dying of cancer, ties the two timelines of this story together. But so do the dreams of her grandson, Joe. Present day Pearl has sprung her grandson, who she has never met before, out of a mental health facility, where twenty two year old Joe has been for months, because of his very vivid, recurring dreams, that haunt him most nights. Both his doctor and his father want Joe to agree to electroshock therapy so he's more t ...more
Brenda
The elderly woman who came to his rescue in 1983 was a stranger to Joe Arneson but she declared she was his grandmother. Joe had always been told by his father that his grandmother had died, but as he came to know Pearl, he knew that she was in fact his grandmother, and there was a past of secrets that both his father and grandmother were unwilling to tell him. With Pearl in a nursing home, and dying from cancer, she asked Joe to clear the family home ready for sale. The secondhand store in Pull ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Joe Arneson’s life is anything but predictable. He has visions and odd feelings he can’t put his finger on. He visits his estranged grandmother, Pearl, in Wisconsin, and learns more about his family’s unique past, including a number of secrets, specifically related to his grandmother.

Her sister Alice’s death more than fifty years ago shocked the family and tore it apart. Joe feels like his visions are connected in some way. Joe finds help from Kathleen, and begins to fall in love. But Joe and Ka
Karen McQuestion
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book has been rattling around in my head for quite a while, probably about four years. All along I've been calling it Dovetail and although bits and pieces were coming to me (like listening to a radio station almost out of range) I waited to start writing until it was more fully formed in my head. After I finished each of my last few books, my younger son Jack would ask, "And now are you going to write Dovetail?"

Every time I said, "Not just yet."

And then one day, I knew the time was right
Dale Harcombe
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe Arneson has had troubling dreams or more like nightmares that disturb him and wake his parents and sister with his screaming. As a result he has been in an institution where they are trying to help him deal with these nightmares. Then one day into his life comes the grandmother he has never known, and never met. She wants to free him from where he is and take him to her place in Wisconsin. Joe’s father who had cut off all contact with his mother years before, is against the idea. But Joe goe ...more
Pauline
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A story set in two timelines.
1916 Pearl is the second of seven sisters. When a young student comes to work for her father Pearl is jealous that he prefers her older sister Alice.
1983 Joe is in hospital because he suffers terrible nightmares. His grandmother Pearl who he has never met comes to collect him to help her empty her family's home so she can sell it.
After he arrives in Pearl's home and he learns more about his family's history Joe's nightmares begin to resemble things that happened in t
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Finding out you had a grandmother you never knew you had and to have her release you from a treatment center was the best thing that could ever have happened for Joe and his entire family.

Joe wanted to know why his father never told him about his mother. What could have happened?

Joe was in treatment for nightmares, and his father wouldn’t let him come home until the treatments resolved his problems.

Another question is how did his grandmother find him, and why did she want to find him? Answers ar
Nursebookie
“DOVETAIL” is a beautiful story told in two timelines, one in 1916 with Pearl as a young woman and in 1983 when Pearl is in a home dying from cancer. Pearl’s estranged grandson Joe Arneson has been having troubling dreams that have affected him so much he needed help and treatment. Pearl offers Joe a chance to reconnect by offering a job of clearing out her home and a place to stay. There in Wisconsin, Joe connects with Kathleen who runs the antique store, Secondhand Heaven, in town. In 1916, Pe ...more
Bambi Rathman
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I've long believed that no one should be judged on the worst thing they've ever done. And not on the best thing, either, for that matter." "Human beings are much more complex than one event that happened on one day in a very long life." Pearl has reached the end of her very long life and has lived with guilt, regrets, sorrow and pain. What secrets is she keeping and why is it so hard to reveal them?

The characters in the book are people that any of us could know and could relate to. They have e
Camille Maio
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Karen McQuestion and I look forward to reading more! I expected a typical girl-moves-to-small-town kind of story, but it was so so much more than that. With a touch of magical realism, the past and the present are found to be deeply connected, the romance is authentic and moving, and the story is captivating. Put this one on your list!
Julianne MacLean
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Karen McQuestion has crafted an emotionally suspenseful tale that explores the intriguing possibilities of genetic memory. It’s an inspired story—a marvelous, evocative read, the perfect blend of mystery, magic, tragedy, and hope. I absolutely loved it, and I devoured it from start to finish.
Katie
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, a huge thank you to Karen McQuestion for sending me this ARC earlier this month in exchange for an honest review.

Dovetail is an intriguing novel that deals with family secrets, love, and death. There is a dash of magical realism, a sprinkle of suspense, a feisty little old lady, and parallel timelines that keep you wanting to turn the page.

In 1983, Joe Arneson finds himself in an inpatient mental institution because he is having realistic dreams that can't be explained. His family and the
Christine Nolfi
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can love survive all obstacles? In DOVETAIL, Karen McQuestion crafts a story spanning generations, one brimming with family secrets between sisters, breathtaking suspense, and the undeniable power of love everlasting. I dare you to put the book down before reaching the triumphant conclusion. I couldn’t.
Elaine
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a first for me by Karen mcquestion, this was a Arc that I absolutely loved I felt like I was right there in the story with Alice, and John. Pearl Frank.
And Joe and Kathleen.
This story goes from the year 19 16 - to 1983 back and forth in time to the Future but Alice taking care of her family after her mother dies her younger sisters and her father. A young man named John comes to help out on the farm Alice not knowing they would soon fall in love this young man has a background that back
Miss Stephanie
won this via Goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own.
-----

Dovetail has by far become one of my favorite books that I look forward to rereading and I seldomly reread a book that I've already read. I don't even know where to start because I don't want to give any of the story away.
The main characters of the book have ties with the characters in the past and they all slowly intertwine. It was an easy read that was such a pleasure to read. You get drawn into
Really Into This
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Melissa contributed this review to Really Into This

Check out all of our reviews at https://reallyintothis.com
Happy Reading, friends!

Special thanks to Lake Union Publishing for providing our copy of Dovetail by Karen McQuestion in exchange for an honest & fair review.

Dovetail by Karen McQuestion

I love this dual timeline novel. Family secrets, messages from the past and the thread that connects everything is Joe’s, Grandmother Pearl. Immediately, I want to know more about the family secrets. I kno
Zoe
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pensive, heartwarming, and mysterious!

Dovetail is a captivating, moving tale that takes us into the life of Joe Arneson, a young man who after years of struggling with tormented dreams finally gets some closure and relief after moving to a new town, forging a relationship with a grandmother he never knew existed, embarking on a blossoming new relationship, and uncovering tragic memories and long-buried family secrets from the past.

The prose is fluid and smooth. The characters are troubled, compl
Andrea
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"...a spellbinding new novel of enduring love, family secrets, and mysterious death," Not sure how accurate a description, but...

I love a dual time line. Here: 1916 and 1983. And a good story.

Off to a promising start, I was roped in. But near the end I threw my hands up. I wanted to finish to see how it turned out [though I had accurately determined the trajectory]; I'd had enough [too neat and tidy].

Pearl is the continuum. A young woman in 1916; dying of cancer in 1983. She connects with Joe Ar
Tess Thompson
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A favorite to read again and again.

This is one of my favorite books of the last few years. Mystery, romance and a page turner all at once. I love the dual timelines and the structure and pacing were perfect. Highly recommend but be prepared to put everything aside until you finish!
Lori Boyd
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book has a little bit of everything. Family drama, mystery, love and betrayal. This was the first book I’ve read by Ms. McQuestion, and I need to go back and read her earlier books. Her characters were realistic, flaws and all, not expecting our love or forgiveness. The past (1916) and present (1983) timelines go back and forth seamlessly and tie things together honestly. The touch of magical dreams thrown in was perfect touch.

Set in a small town in Wisconsin, Pearl is a feisty, opini
KarenK
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

1983: Joe suffers from debilitating nightmares and his parents commit him to a psych ward. 1916: Pearl (Joe's grandma) is jealous over her sister's new beau and feels responsible for her untimely death.

Rating duo timeline stories are hard for me because I usually prefer the older timeline and feel that I can't give the whole story proper attention. The story is clean and appropriate for younger teens.

Linda Zagon
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Karen McQuestion, author of “Dovetail” has written a captivating, intriguing, intense, memorable, emotional and suspenseful novel. The Genres for this novel are Fiction, Historical Romance. and Suspense. There are two timelines in the story and characters in the different timelines have something relatable and in common. The author describes her characters as complex and complicated. There are deep secrets, mysteries, and murder.

Joe Arneson has very strange and tormenting dreams, that have gotte
Kay Bratt
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“In her latest release Dovetail, Karen McQuestion expertly weaves together the past and present in a suspenseful tapestry of words that will leave the reader intrigued to the last page.” —Kay Bratt, author of Wish Me Home and True to Me
Liz Talley
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An emotional story set in the present and past. This one has a dual timeline that I found myself really enjoying. I rooted for these characters and even though there is a tragedy (which will make you cry) I felt this book had so much warmth and delivered so much hope for people who have been hurting. The touch of mysticism in Joe's dreams really upped the tension and I liked the sweetness of the romance. This isn't a romance book, but there's a delightful friendship turned romance that delivers ...more
Robin
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story,written with duel timelines and two stories.One a beginning,one an ending.Love,forgiveness, friendship and so much more. Another great book by Karen Mcquestion. I highly recommend it!
Lisa
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely astounding.... A Love Story that transcends the ages. It will be a classic love story for years to come. Great characters, that you immediately fall on live with.
JoAnn
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading the novel Dovetail, a story that captured this reader in events that took place in the past (1916) to how they affect family and friends in the present (1983). A young man, Joe Arneson, has had recurring dreams which have landed him in an institution only to be rescued by a grandmother he never knew he had. A relationship develops between Joe and Pearl and the intriguing story unfolds. A story of mystery, hope and love. Thank you to the author, Karen McQuestion, for a signed co ...more
Susan
The past and the future converge into two magical love stories. Alittle bright and mostly dark mysteries. 4 plus stars

• Mistress Suffragette
  • The Wild One (de Montforte Brothers, #1)
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Forever Never
  • The Matrimonial Advertisement (Parish Orphans of Devon, #1)
  • An Unfinished Story
  • The Wedding Game
  • Lean on Me (Family Is Forever, #1)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • The Forgotten Home Child
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Been There, Married That
  • Truths I Never Told You
  • Writing Wrongs (Crow's Feet Coven #1)
  • The Dilemma
  • The Tenant (Korner and Werner, #1)
Karen McQuestion is the bestselling author of books for all ages. Some of her titles include Hello Love, Life on Hold, The Long Way Home, and the Edgewood series. Her publishing story has been covered by the Wall Street Journal, Entertainment Weekly, and NPR. She has also appeared on ABC’s World News Now and America This Morning. McQuestion lives in Hartland, Wisconsin.

Her website:www.karenmcquest

News & Interviews

“We don’t actually fear death, we fear that no one will notice our absence, that we will disappear without a trace. —T. S. Eliot” 0 likes
“Funny, but I never thought it would happen to” 0 likes