Start by marking “Seventh City” as Want to Read:
Seventh City

Seventh City

“Let me tell you a story that happened so long ago that only the hills and rivers can remember the time . . . .”

All her life, thirteen-year-old Maki has heard tales of the legendary city of gold, buried deep in the northern frontier. But when her village is burned and her brother captured by cruel invaders, the legend becomes desperately real.

Armed with a wolf-dog and
280 pages
Published August 20th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Seventh City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seventh City

Start your review of Seventh City
Allison Tebo
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fantasy
Adventure is one of those sadly neglected genres that slips through the cracks of publishing. Adventure stories for boys and girls used to make up the bulk of publishing but, nowadays, they are scarce.

Enter Emily Hayse, author of Seventh City. At last, not only a sweeping adventure story—but one without sex, language, or excessive violence!

The author's spare writing style is well suited to the stark setting of this novel, creating a perfect setting for this gem of a story, where the wild and u
H.S.J. Williams
Aug 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Me -casually glances at book-

Book: BROTHER CAPTURED BY CRUEL INVADERS.

Me -sits up- WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY?
Claire Banschbach
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
This book!!

It's an Alaskan-inspired fantasy that is just brilliant as far as worldbuilding. The characters are all amazing, and Maki is such a little ball of fire that's so loyal to family and her heritage. I could not put this book down!

From the wild landscapes and perilous moments where you weren't sure if they were going to survive (hello new fear of orcas, I see you. XD), the legends and culture, the characters, and just everything!

I love Emily Hayse's writing style in this one (a bit dif
Katie Hanna
DNF in Chapter 3 for ... *reads smudged writing on hand* ... ah yes, for "repeated and sustained attempts to make imperialism sympathetic, which is Not the Kind of Politics We Stan in This Household"

#other folks might enjoy this but I know I definitely won't

#byyyyyyyye
Verity Buchanan
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite read of the year.

Maki's matter-of-fact yet perceptive narration pulls you in and doesn't let go. It took me half the book, HALF THE BOOK, to realize that this novel is written in present tense. Ordinarily, I notice because I prefer past tense over present. When a book can make the tense invisible and fit the story like a glove, that's one good book.

I LOVE Alaskan culture and using it in fantasy was so unique and delightful. I adored how Maki's straightforward narration fit it, and th
Nate Philbrick
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 up to 5. Very impressed! I had a bit of a hiatus halfway through to get some other books in (also I lost the paperback oops), but I finished the rest in about two days, which for me is pretty fast.

What strikes me most about this book is just how confident the author is with her writing style. First-person, present tense; an almost bare-bones narrative where nothing is developed a single word more than it needs to be. Not the sort of writing I'm typically drawn to, but it works so well for th
Rae Graham
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly my kind of book! I've always been drawn to Native culture so the Alaskan Fantasy aspect alone had me falling in love. Pair the vibrant setting with themes of forgiveness, throw in a thirteen-year-old-girl capable of sending grown men to the hospital, and really, what more can one ask for? ;)

I absolutely love Maki! She's brave and loyal, if a bit hotheaded and too stubborn for her own good; but she's got a will of iron, a heart of gold, and a wolf to back her up. And then there's
A.C. Williams
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow to start but once it gets going, it doesn't stop. I could hardly put it down. Fantastic worldbuilding. Engaging characters. A beautiful adventure. ...more
Mary
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Mary by: Allison Tebo
This unique fantasy adventure, Seventh City by Emily Hayse, is beautiful, vibrant, and alive. The story, land, characters, themes, and legends are vivid and compelling. It’s an engaging tale of love and hate, death and life, hostility and forgiveness, friends and enemies, brothers and sisters, wonder and fear, wildness and peace.

When Maki’s older brother is captured by the cruel Invaders she hates with her whole being, she’s desperate to save his life. Her drive to protect her brother and avenge
Mary Emma Sivils
Mar 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Maki (aka "Wolf pup") might just be the toughest thirteen-year-old girl in any book I've read! I loved going on an adventure alongside her and seeing the harshness and beauty of Uniap'nik from her perspective. Her relationship with her brother was also heartwarming.
The story fully enveloped me in its world. I felt the stinging cold (it probably helped that I read this in winter😝), grew tense whenever danger loomed, and ached for Maki in moments of worry or sorrow.
I was a little disappointed in t
Cheyenne
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good books are the ones that bring you into the story, that make you one with the characters and their journeys, that make you feel their joys and sorrows as if they were your own; the best are the ones that help the real world have more meaning. "Let me tell you a story that happened so long ago that only the hills and rivers can remember the time..."

With an almost lost art of poetic and masterful story-telling, Emily Hayse has brought this Alaskan fantasy to life in a way that almost makes it
Liz Koetsier
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Heartfelt and breathtaking. I wasn't expecting that ending, and it left me with a stand-still book hangover of the best kind. Maki is a scrappy, dear little-big person wrapped in fur and contained iced fury. And, even though I'm not much of a dog person I felt myself wishing more than once to give Iki a hug. This non-magical Alaskan fantasy is everything you need in a book on a cozy winter day. My favorite scene was with the orca, his beady eyes watching Maki & co. traverse across ice. Besides M ...more
Erica Bennett
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the most unique “fantasy” books I’ve read in a while.
I put fantasy in quotes because it’s not fantasy, not really. The only real “fantasy” element is the fact that it’s not set in this world—there’s no magic, no mythical creatures on a grand scale, none of the typical fantasy elements. So if you’re reading it for a fantasy story…that’s not what you’ll find.
But I actually liked that. It felt very grounded and real, with the setting heavily influenced by Alaskan native cult
A.M. Reynwood
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book was deliciously different, set in a fantasy-ish Alaskan-esque frontier with adventure and elements of survival, which are genres I love and am really getting into, respectively. Also, it's about a brother and sister, which is a dynamic I don't get enough of. Really, I saw that in the description and knew this was a book I HAD to get my hands on.

Hayse does a brilliant job with the worldbuiling, and Maki's voice is so interesting and relatable to read. She's a strong female character wit
Lena
This book is beautiful beyond words, but I will try to articulate.

An absolutely stunning story of thrilling adventure, friendship, and sacrifice. I enjoyed every minute of it!

There is a great cast of sympathetic characters (Jeremiah is 100% my favorite!), and I can't wait to dive into The Rivers Lead Home and Other Stories to get more of their stories! The only reason I did not finish this book sooner, as much as I wanted to just read it straight through, was because I did not want it to end!
Jameson
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Seventh City introduces Maki, a smart, quick-thinking girl on a mission to rescue her brother from the invaders who have taken him captive as their guide to a legendary city.

I loved Maki so much. She has such a sure way of seeing the world around her, but she remains open to learning new things, especially in her quest to save her brother. Her emotional journey throughout the book is beautifully written and I enjoyed how it fell in line with the story's climax. (I also loved how her voice and po
Rae
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maki is such an amazing character. She is so strong to begin with and grows so much. The premise of this story sounded interesting, and it really was. Emily Hayse is an excellent storyteller. I wish there had been a bit more at the end of the story for what happened.
This story also reminds me of Island of the Blue Dolphin insomuch as they both have strong, survival minded female main characters, who have to interact with “invaders”.
Rachael Ritchey
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, adventurous and Alaska-inspired fantasy novel

Seventh City is a well done YA low fantasy novel that feels Alaska-like while being its own world. I'd recommend this to anyone 12 and up who enjoys books like Treasure Island or movies like The Road to Eldorado but darker, since the book is not humorous or full of songs. It's really like a conquistador meets northern climes & cultures mashup that just feels good.
Elizabeth
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
A crisp and entrancing adventure steeped in Alaskan mythology. Emily Hayse knows how to tell a good story without all the bells and whistles that so many other YA fantasy authors seem to find necessary. This subtle approach makes Seventh City a truly unique and refreshing reading experience. A can't-miss for anyone who appreciates the fantasy, mythology, and/or adventure genres. ...more
Schuyler
I think this is my favorite Emily Hayse so far. I love Maki's tough vulnerability, her friendship with Willow Tam, who has the gift of gentle strength, and their adventures across the vivid Alaskan-style wilderness. Also perfect if you love close brother-sister bonds. Written with poetic skill; a beautiful standalone adventure. ...more
Michelle Bruhn
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, fantasy
I received a free advance copy in exchange for my honest review.

Emily Hayse masterfully weaves an arctic world simultaneously beautiful and harsh. As our hero and her companions fight against the elements and wild animals, there is a very real sense of danger, one that sent my heart racing and put my Kindle in a vice-grip. But in the midst of all that danger, we are introduced to the wonders of this icy world.

Maki's relationship with the rest of the crew is just as much a balancing act, this bet
Audrey
Naomi P.
Aug 06, 2020
Cynthia
May 28, 2020

• Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • Fire Dancer
  • Blood of the Seer (The Dragon Keep Chronicles, #2)
  • Dawn of Vengeance (Droseran Saga, #2)
  • Stone Charmer (Art Mages of Lure, #2)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)
  • The Betrothed (The Betrothed, #1)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Heartmender (Heartmender #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Fool and the Phoenix: A Tale of Old Japan
  • Odd and the Frost Giants
  • The Saturday Night Supper Club (The Supper Club, #1)
  • Tuck Everlasting
  • Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4)
  • Arbrook Huxley & the Miraculous Confection
EMILY HAYSE is a lover of log cabins, strong coffee, NASCAR, and the smell of old books. Her writing is fueled by good characters and a lifelong passion for storytelling. When she is not busy turning words into worlds, she can often be found baking, singing, or caring for one of the many dogs and horses in her life. She lives with her family in Michigan.