Start by marking “Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)

Cross Her Heart

(Bree Taggert #1)

A homicide detective’s violent family history repeats itself in #1 Amazon Charts and Wall Street Journal bestselling author Melinda Leigh’s novel of murder, secrets, and retribution.

For more than twenty-five years, Philadelphia homicide detective Bree Taggert has tucked away the nightmarish childhood memories of her parents’ murder-suicide…Until her younger sister, Erin, i
Published March 17th 2020 by Montlake

To ask other readers questions about Cross Her Heart, please sign up.
Juli Hennessee I would recommend from medium 20's on up....I am 82, and really like everything about it.…moreI would recommend from medium 20's on up....I am 82, and really like everything about it.(less)

Start your review of Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Wow, Melinda Leigh knows how to write an exciting procedural. Welcome to her new series, Bree Taggert.

Bree is a homicide detective whose family has a violent past. In fact, her parents were involved in a murder-suicide when she was a child.

More than two decades later, her sister is killed in a similar crime. The only difference is that Erin’s husband has disappeared. Where is he?

Somehow when the evidence starts to mount, it causes Bree to question what’s what.

Cross Her Heart is filled with twist
Maureen Carden
For some reason I couldn’t help but think of various mythologies when reading Melinda Leigh’s terrific Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert#1). In a chilling and heartbreaking prologue we meet eight year old Bree Taggert, who is a true Artemis/Diana. Diana is the goddess of the hunt and protectress of the living world. On a tragically violent night Bree saves four year old Erin who escapes death once but meets him later in life. (Shades of Death in Samaara) Bree’s second save is baby Adam who later sta ...more
PamG
CROSS HER HEART by Melinda Leigh is the first book in the Bree Taggert romantic suspense/crime series and is largely set in upstate New York. In this book, the reader is introduced to Homicide Detective Bree Taggert who is with the Philadelphia police department. When she receives a voice mail from her sister saying she is in trouble, Bree drives to her sister’s house where she finds deputies searching the house and her sister is dead. Where is her husband? Who killed Erin? What is going to happ ...more
Linda Strong

By the time Homicide Detective Bree Taggart gets a cell phone call from her sister, and she speeds to the small town where they grew up, it's too late. Her sister, Erin, is murdered, in a similar way to her memories of her parents' murder-suicide years before.

The only difference here is that Erin's husband, Justin, has disappeared.

Did he murder his wife ... or is he also a victim?

Allison Brennan
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Melinda Leigh has topped herself—and goes to the top of my must-read author list. CROSS HER HEART is everything I love in a thriller, and Bree Taggert is everything I love in a heroine. READ THIS BOOK. You won’t be able to put it down.”

*** Review to come ***
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Bree Taggert is a homicide detective in Philadelphia. One afternoon she receives a panicked voicemail from her younger sister Erin indicating that she is in trouble. When Erin doesn't answer her phone, Bree rushes back to her hometown. There she finds her dead sister's body in the home of her ex-husband.

This murder brings back memories of Bree’s parents who died in a murder-suicide when she was young. This led to an unhappy childhood and the need to escape from her roots. She wasn't close to her
"Avonna
Check out all of my reviews: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

CROSS HER HEART (Bree Taggert Book #1) by Melinda Leigh is the first book in a new romantic suspense/thriller series that has everything I look for in this genre. A strong, intelligent female protagonist, an engaging cast of secondary characters and a thrilling, intense plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat which all come together in this exceptional debut.

Philadelphia homicide detective Bree Taggart receives a call for help fr
Sophia
Home was a place of dark memories and a painful past, but now Detective Bree Taggert has rushed back after a frantic call from her younger sister only to discover Erin is dead and her husband, Justin, is missing and a person of interest to the county sheriff's department. Jumping into a new Melinda Leigh series was something I did with all the excitement of a five year old with a pile of birthday presents to unwrap. There was no doubt in my mind that I was going to love what I got.

Cross Her Hear
Diane
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second time reading this - sentiments are the same; well written, and keeps your attention. Some red herrings tossed in, just enough to keep you guessing. Looking forward to the next addition to this series. On to the second book in the series!

4 solid stars and 2 thumbs up

From the blurb: For more than twenty-five years, Philadelphia homicide detective Bree Taggert has tucked away the nightmarish childhood memories of her parents' murder-suicide.... Until her younger sister, Erin, is killed in a
Obsidian
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Please note that I received this book via NetGalley. This did not affect my rating or review.

So I really liked this first book though I think that things got a bit too convoluted towards the end. I will definitely read the next book though because I like how Melinda Leigh set this up and I adored the characters of Bree and her partner from the Philadelphia police, Dana. I was okay about Mike (the other lead I guess you could say) but not that focused on him while reading this.

"Cross Her Heart"
Anita
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is the first book in a new series by Melinda Leigh, an author I really love. The setting is not far from her old stomping grounds in Scarlet Falls, NY and the characters have a similar feel. The plot, as always, is a great mystery/suspense that keeps you guessing to the end. There is an almost romance to be fleshed out in coming books, I'm sure. This looks to be a great se
Wendy'sThoughts
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Melinda Leigh Fans, Romance
5 Melinda Leigh's New Series Stars
* * * * * Spoiler Free- A Quick Review
Melinda Leigh starts a new series and I am all on board.
Strong Plot-Check
Strong Storytelling- Check
Plenty of interest in all of the characters- Check
Interest in the next book- Check, Check

What's Not to Love.

A gifted copy was provided by author/publisher for an honest review.

For more Reviews, Free E-books and Giveaways
Shawna
4 stars - Crime/Mystery/Suspense

This is a good mystery, and I liked the characters. I just wish there had been some romance between the H/h. Still, the series has promise, and there seems to be potential for romantic development between Bree and Matt. I'll definitely read the next book when it comes out.
Nadine
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I requested Cross Her Heart from Netgalley based on Karin’s Slaughter’s Bookbub recommendation. Based on that recommendation, I was expecting something similar to her Will Trent series but with a female lead. Cross Her Heart is not necessarily what I was expecting, though it’s too soon to tell.

Cross Her Heart has an enjoyable mystery. It’s nothing too dark or complex in and of itself though its implications for the main character, Bree, are significant. Leigh uses this opportunity to slowly unr
Caz
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, mystery-thriller, aar
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars

Bestselling author Melinda Leigh introduces readers to Detective Bree Taggert in Cross Her Heart, the first book in her new series of romantic suspense novels.  It’s an excellent start, a solid, intriguing and well-paced mystery that introduces and starts fleshing out the central characters and the relationships between them at the same time as it presents a mystery that is very personal for Bree, whose tragic past is brought abruptly back to her i
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

4.5 hearts

I have really loved reading Melinda Leigh's other series,  so I was excited to try the new Bree Taggert series. I buddy read Cross Her Heart with Sophia since we are both huge fans of this author. We both felt right away it was going to be great.

I easily settled into reading right from the start. The world
Andi
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, I was wary of a new series as I really enjoyed Mercy and her stories, I kept putting this one off, but I needed a good book, and hoped that this would be the one.
Yep, I can see Bree's story is going to be a good one.
There's humility, family, a love interest and a whole new town to police.
I am really looking forward to reading the next one.
julia ☆ [owls reads]
3 stars!

Cross Her Heart was the quickest read ever. The writing was amazing as always and the plot was engaging, if a bit convoluted. The first chapter was so so so sad and Leigh perfectly translated that kind of horror to the page as well as the tension that followed with Erin’s mystery. The focus of the novel was very much in the investigation, but there was still a flicker of romance at the end.

This was a pretty good setup for the series. Bree was very well developed as a character and her
Linda
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Kendra Elliot
I had difficulty placing tags on this contemporary suspense. It was not what I would consider a police procedural though the main protagonist was a homicide detective. Her job was in another city. Bree Taggert took a temporary leave and returned home when her sister was murdered. No matter, she becomes involved informally with the assistance of a former local policeman. He was the best friend of the town’s number one suspect. It was an absorbing premise to say the least.

As in most first stories
Melanie
Cross Her Heart was an amazing start to a new suspense series with an engaging plot and an excellent main character.

For twenty-five years, Philadelphia homicide detective Bree Taggert has tried to forget her parents' murder-suicide, an event that put an end to her childhood. But when her younger sister Erin is killed in a violent crime, that proves impossible. And to make matters worse, Erin's husband, Justin, has vanished. To discover what happened to her sister, Bree teams up with former sheri
Diana
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid read by Melinda Leigh. Strong police procedural with lots of twists and turns to keep you reading on. The introduction of Matt with his dog was a great addition. More on the dog rescue that his sister is starting up would be fantastic!
Carrie
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review coming soon.
Lira リラ   ✧lirareadsallday✧
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Lira by: Rezolut1on
Oh my gosh it's getting 5 blazing stars from me! Review coming soon! ...more
Dísir
Melinda Leigh’s an old hand at this by now…writing taut and tight thrillers, I mean. With cleverly plotted, smartly-paced narratives that scarcely let you blink, the new Bree Taggert series—following the Morgan Dane one which I loved—is promising to be a good one, particularly if you’re more into the suspense than the romance.

Bree Taggert’s never really far from her violent past, but history seems to repeat itself in her sister’s murder, bringing her back to a place where she finds herself sadd
İlkim
A good suspense is always one of my favorite genres. I didn’t read any novels before from this author, but I heard about her. And I’m very glad that I got the arc from netgalley, I really liked the story. Bree Taggert is the heroine that I want to read in suspense novels. She’s smart, strong and good in her job. Her childhood was hard, and now she is in that town again. Her sister Erin is dead and she will do anything to find her killer and be with her children.

I liked the writing. I liked both
Paul Ataua
It has all the elements of many a modern procedural: a female detective with scars from the past, a close to home unsolved murder, a hunky male ‘partner’, and, of course, loveable animals. Here we have horses as well as dogs and cats. It should have worked for me, but I spent most of my time rereading pages because I had lost my concentration, or wondering why it never felt engrossing. I don’t understand all the praise it is receiving here , but guess I am missing something.
Susan
Wow, this one was exciting! Great start to a new series! Looking forward to the next one.
Marythios (AkaSusanne )

More than two decades later, her sister is killed in a similar crime. The only difference is that Erins husband has disappeared. Where is he?

Somehow when the evidence starts to mount, it causes Bree to question whats what.

Justin's best friend, Matt Flynn, was once a sheriff's investigator. An on-the-job shooting left him unable to continue and is now a K-9 han
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
The book was pretty good. I eventually settled on a killer and was correct. No real twist. Not much in the way of romance, though it wasn’t needed. However, there was a set up for one in the future considering this is a series. I would have preferred a Morgan Dane novel, but oh well. The narrator was great.
Luli
Puedes encontrar esta reseña en español al final.

If you read this story´s blurb, you´ll think there is nothing new here. You would be wrong.

Although the story begins like so many in this genre: A horrifying past, a new murder and a forced and unwelcome homecoming, here is where the similarities end. From now on the suspense is original, well crafted, interesting and engaging.

The author takes her time to elaborate a plot where both MC´s can move, more or less freely, within the boundaries of real

• Eye for Eye (Talion #1)
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • Broken Promises (Past Imperfect Mystery Book 1)
  • Little Secrets
  • One Little Lie (The Pelican Harbor, #1)
  • Please See Us
  • The Silence (Columbia River #2, Callahan & McLane, #5)
  • Yours in Scandal (Man of the Year, #1)
  • Scot Under the Covers (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #2)
  • Been There, Married That
  • The Night Swim
  • The Girl from Widow Hills
  • Save Her Soul (Detective Josie Quinn, #9)
  • Unforgiven (Loveless, Texas #2)
  • Close to You
  • The Silent House (Paige Northwood, #1)
  • The Girls in the Lake (Beth Adams #2)
  • Watching from the Dark (DCI Jonah Sheens, #2)
#1 Wall Street Journal and #1 Amazon bestselling author Melinda Leigh is a fully recovered banker who learned that writing books is way more fun than analyzing financial statements. Melinda’s debut novel, SHE CAN RUN, was nominated for Best First Novel by the International Thriller Writers. Since then, she has garnered numerous writing accolades, including two RITA® Award nominations and an induct ...more

Bree Taggert (5 books)
  • See Her Die (Bree Taggert, #2)
  • Drown Her Sorrows (Bree Taggert, #3)
  • Right Behind Her (Bree Taggert, #4)
  • Dead Against Her (Bree Taggert, #5)