Start by marking “The Highlanders” as Want to Read:
The Highlanders

The Highlanders

Never underestimate the heart of a Highlander.

Night Fox

After the failed Jacobite Rebellion of 1715, war-weary Deven McLendon returns home to discover a thief creating chaos on his lands. But this thief isn't like any other. When Rooney Corsen sets out to steal jewels to repay her family’s debts and keep a roof over her little sisters’ heads, never does she imagine snagging
Published November 15th 2019 by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas (first published November 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Highlanders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highlanders

Start your review of The Highlanders
Kate Breslin
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This four-story collection by talented authors J’nell Ciesielski, Naomi Musch, Janet Grunst, and Jennifer Lamont Leo proved to be a wonderful medley of faith, romance, and history featuring the “braw” lads and lassies of the Scottish Highlands! Each story in The Highlanders anthology is uniquely told in a different historical time and land, yet all captivated me with their endearing characters and compelling drama. What a delightful way to be transported to the past and enjoy a taste of the High ...more
Paula Shreckhise
The Highlanders is a collection of novellas by four authors.
NIGHT FOX by J’nell Ciesielski. The Night Fox steals from the rich to pay the unjust debts her gambling father left. Who could it be? Deven McLendon is newly returned from the war and seeks to restore his family’s property but encounters a rogue— the Night Fox. Will things change when he finds out the Fox’s identity? Deftly written hero and heroine and a dastardly villain. All in a wonderful historical Scottish setting. Great fun!
A TE
Abby Breuklander
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love love and love this collection!! Sometimes in life we have to go through the absolute worst things imaginable, but going through can bring about the most unexpected blessings. It's never fun in the middle of the situation, but when we look back someday all the signs of God's love and faithfulness will be right there, unmistakable. We just have to hang in there, no matter how long it takes. ...more
Marilyn
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, romance, historical
This collection of Scottish Highlanders is compelling with each tale set in a different location and with various characters struggling with a realistic situation. The collection span almost 200 years of history.

Night Fox was centered a round the mysterious happenings with valuables being stolen. Laird Devon McLendon was determined to resolve the issue when he returned home. The twists and turns brought some unexpected surprises in more ways than one.

Naomi Musch tale A Tender Siege was a favor
Betti
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If there’s one thing I’ve learned in this world, ‘tis that things are not always as they seem. We need only to look past the surface to find the truth. - Rooney - Night Fox

Night Fox highlights the statement I quoted above - things certainly weren’t the way they seemed on the surface. With robbery, pilfering and looting, one could have made negative conclusions on the moral character of Night Fox, but how wrong you would have been!

A Tender Siege brings two folks together that have been injured in
Trisha
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
See full review at: https://joyofreadingweb.wordpress.com...

I enjoyed my time reading this fun collection of stories, each with its own braw Scottish Highlander! From a mysterious thief causing chaos and keeping the local laird on his toes, a wounded soldier who faces his past in the most unlikely of places, a young man who's life is richly blessed by unexpected changes and a homesick highlander with a secret so deep it will take a tender heart to help him open up and move beyond his past.

If yo
Kathleen Rouser
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These four sweet historical romances all boast Scottish heroes in a variety of settings. Whether laird or lumberjack, contractor or soldier each one must overcome formidable obstacles to win the heart of his bonnie lass. Each of the four authors did a wonderful job coming up with very different characters. These aren’t cookie-cutter romances, but individual stories of people in difficult circumstances, trying to forge a better future despite the troubles that follow them from the past. Novellas ...more
Carolyn Doeren
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to curl up with a hot cup of tea and enjoy timeless tales of falling in love. The four stories are each unique, with highlanders set in four different times, four different settings, with unique twists and endings. The characters are courageous and interesting. A wonderful way to learn a little history, and some Scottish culture.

I received an advanced reader copy of this book and was in no way compensated or compelled to write a review. All opinions given are my own.
Leslie
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice gentle stories. Each focuses on a man who hails from the Scottish highlands. As you would expect, each story also ends with the man tying the knot or expressing true love to the woman he encounters. Enjoyable but I suggest borrowing instead of buying.
Mary Lou
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
At first the cover put me off because I thought the book would primarily be about men basically. However, I was wrong. This was an excellent read. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and want to read it again. I especially liked the characters. Many thanks to the authors!
Kelly Roxanne
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2021
Oh, for the love of Scots! And I do, love Scotsmen. Something about their strength, stubbornness, and intensity of feelings that just makes my toes curl. This collection of clean and wholesome short stories is a quick read and just enough to get the heart pitter pattering!
Robin Duncan
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Adventure and romance

This collection of books was simply delightful. I loved the variety and each book gave a sampling of the author.
Joan Arning
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this collection of stories about Highlanders at various locations!
Night Fox: Rooney Corsen is responsible for her two younger sisters after their parents' deaths and resorts to stealing from rich people! Rooney is thought to be a male and is called the Night Fox. Laird Devon McLendon returns home from the Jacobite Rebellion determined to catch and punish Night Fox until he discovers who Night Fox really is!

A Tender Siege: Lachlan McRea is wounded in a battle on American soil and found
Tina
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The Highlanders: A Smitten Historical Romance Collection

From 1715 to 1915, four stories highlighting a Highlander, two from the “old” country and two in America. Stories that capture the heart: surprising thief with a surprising reason for the thefts; searching for lost loved ones in the midst of dangers; prejudices that could hinder an unplanned love and move to America; and violin lessons that could lead to love. Heartwarming stories.

1. Night Fox by J’Nell Ciesielski
2. A Tender Siege by Naom
Jennifer K
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this romantic novella collection. I appreciated the different aspects of Scottish history and culture throughout these entertaining stories. I started reading because I am a fan of J’nell Ciesielski’s writing and I was thrilled with her contribution. Then I continued and discovered three new worthy authors. I found wonderful characters and story lines within these pages. Since it is a busy season, the novella length was perfect for me to be able to enjoy a great story in a short ...more
Norma
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Highlanders is a truly delightful collection of 4 novellas about men from the Highlands of Scotland and the women they fall in love with. Each of the four stories held my attention all the way through. Each were very different but all were true pageturners. I highly recommend this book!

Merged review:

A page-turning novella collection by four amazing authors. Each story is so different, yet so intriguing. I love how each one is centered around a different man from the Scottish Highlands, yet i
Cindy Huff
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of novellas is not your typical Laird of the manor stories. Instead the common Scot takes the spotlight. All four heroes are every bit as appealing as the Scottish nobleman. The time setting for this collection ranges from the French and Indian war to the early 1900s. Historical research is evident in each tale. Grab a warm drink, your cozy blankie and enjoy four Highlanders and their lady loves.
Jean Holtof
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of short stories with varying themes involving Highlanders. Four very different stories, each depicting the challenges that face these Highland men. I enjoyed each of the writing styles and loved the plots that were creative and imaginative. Thanks for the pleasurable read.
Micheal Taylor
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Triumph through adversity

This is a story of triumph through outside trouble (loosing fingers) as well as personal demons. First, he had to overcome losing fingers in order to play and then fear of boats and survivors guilt. This was accomplished by the trust and love of the woman sent by God to be his helpmeet.
Pegg
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy stories with a Scottish tang, then these four novellas are your next "must read." Two are set in the old country, and two on America's shores, but all of them include a Highlander you'll be swept away by. And the final story will throw you a curve you never see coming! If you dinna get your copy yet, you shouldna wait much longer! ...more
Nancy
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s always a fun read when the story is set in Scotland! The first novel is about the Night Fox. The Night Fox steals from the rich for the poor. But soon things may change. A Scottish Laird and a Englishman are involved! I haven’t read the rest of the novellas, but plan to. I received a copy of this book from the author. All views stated here are my own.
PAMpublish
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Four Scottish Historical romances by different authors representing different settings and eras compiled into one book. Clean, sweet, and inspiring, all with a happy ending, perfect for those who enjoy a variety of novellas in this genre.
Jeanne Alfveby Crea
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scotland has recently been put on my bucket list, so naturally, I pre-ordered this collection of Highlander novellas. I really enjoyed the stories and discovered some new-to-me authors in the process!
Deborah Westfall
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Totally enjoyable!

Really enjoyed these stories from The Highlands. These stories "fit the bill" for clean, historical Christian fiction readers. Look forward to more such stories!
andrea
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable

This is a compilation of short stories that were enjoyable to read. I like a good story so part of me wishes they would have gone on, but then they wouldn’t have been my lunch escape from work.
Tamy Fitzpatrick
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sweet, well written stories

I enjoyed all four of these stories. Because they are short, they don’t have the detail and complexity I would like to see in a novel, but for novellas, they were great. Actually, I felt attached to the characters despite the shortness of the stories.
Peni
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, historical
Please see individual stories for review.
Sally Spoelstra
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
All well written stories

These were all very enjoyable stories. Light romances without sexual scenes. Very refreshing. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
Carol Guthrie
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first story in the collection was not my favorite, but I enjoyed the book as a whole!
Pat Christie
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ebook

Stories of love, each story of a Scottish person finding love in the new world of America. Each gets a second chance.

• A Bride of Convenience (The Bride Ships, #3)
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • The White Rose Resists: A Novel of the German Students Who Defied Hitler
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • 100 Extraordinary Stories of Prayer for Courageous Girls: Unforgettable Tales of Women of Faith
  • At Love's Command (Hanger's Horsemen, #1)
  • The Melody of the Mulberries (Big Creek)
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • Christmas at Whitefriars
  • Flight Risk
  • A Doctor's Promise (Lifeline Air Rescue #1)
  • Storing Up Trouble (American Heiresses, #3)
  • Fall Flip
With a passion for heart-stopping adventure and sweeping love stories, J’nell Ciesielski weaves fresh takes into romances of times gone by. When not creating dashing heroes and daring heroines, she can be found dreaming of Scotland, indulging in chocolate of any kind, or watching old black and white movies. Winner of the Romance Through the Ages and the Maggie Award, she is a Florida native who no ...more