Start by marking “The Kingdom of Grape” as Want to Read:

The Kingdom of Grape

The Kingdom of Grape is a classic tale of good vs evil. Set in the middle ages, a common messenger boy named Donnie Drake, has fallen in love with the beautiful Princess Jane Grape. Her father, King Earl Grape, has arranged for Jane to marry the ruthless Duke the Red. Not only does Jane not love him, she despises him. It is up to Donnie Drake to become a hero and rescue hi ...more
Published March 20th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Kingdom of Grape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kingdom of Grape

Start your review of The Kingdom of Grape
Dana
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copies
The Kingdom Of Grape made my giggle! I think younger readers will enjoy this book.

An entertaining and classic tale of good vs. evil. Messenger boy Donnie Drake is in love with princess, Jane Grape. Her father, King Earl Grape has promised his daughters hand to Duke the Red. Plot twist, Jane doesn't like this guy ... not even a little bit ... cancelled! Haha! Will Donnie Drake be the hero Jane Grape needs? Can he rescue her from a life of misery in the hands of the Duke? ...

Favorite line: "You m
Nursebookie
Thank you to the author for the gifted copy of this book.

The story was enjoyable for young readers with some marvelous illustrations within the book which were beautifully done. I loved the color theme and the book cover was absolutely well done!

The story was simple and may even be oversimplified. Though it is somewhat a classic tale in the way it was told, some of the words and phrasing were not in the classic style so it takes away from the feeling of a classic story tale set in the Middle A
Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad)
Received this book from the author for free.

I didn't like it much, maybe because I am not a kid anymore? :/

description

I wish that characters weren't that stereotypical. Main hero - poor, but good, princess - nice, but with the naughty side, evil guys - evil guys, king - old and sick. I think even if you write a medieval based fairy tale, ideas are plenty.

I also didn't understand why the class segregation and differences were pushed so hard. "The poor are mistreated by the rich" was the main trope that was
Raimo Strangis
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-inspirations
Writing this novel was a wonderful experience. I hope this book will one day inspire my two beautiful daughters to always follow their dreams. Thank you to all who supported me through this amazing journey.
Bella
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We meet Donnie Drake in the beginning of the story. It talks about the kingdom he's from: "The Kingdom of Grape". As with anything, The Kingdom of Grape was separated by wealth and stature. Donnie lost his parents when he was young. He moves into a orphanage and lives his life. As a special young man according to the ladies who gushed to King Earl Grape when he would visit. At the age of 18 years old the King gives the okay for Donnie to become a messenger. Donnie is happy and sets off with his ...more
D.A Rehman
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the author for sending me the pdf in exchange for my honest review. It’s been long since I read a children’s book.

Such a lovely story with a beautiful message. It gives a message of love, positivity and courage. Importance of strong character and to stand with the right to defeat the evil. The bad villain was brought to justice with a little help of magic.
The story is beautifully written with simple and easy vocabulary and lovely sentence structure. Our kids should read such books as i
Nargis  Kalani
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the author for sending me a physical copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I do read books in children's genre but very, very rarely. I think from the perspective of a child, the name and cover of this book are catchy enough to compel them to read.

I honestly enjoyed reading because of the way this story was told. It is not your typical children's fairytale. Both the main characters have a strong will to bring change around them and a heart full of love. Obviously, there's
Alice (Married To Books)
I got the audiobook for free via an Audiobooks Code website for UK and US listeners!

This children's book is under an hour long in listening length and is set in the fictional kingdom of Grape. It follows a princess who has been betrothed to marry the evil duke as part of a plan to strengthen the royal-ties. However, she doesn't want to marry him and instead her heart is with the kingdom's royal messenger who is also an orphan and commoner. A short tale of the battles between good and evil with s
Aisha Qazizada
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#bookreview
*4/5

The Author, in exchange of an honest review, sent the e-copy of this children’s fantasy book to me. I could not be more delighted to read the story of a marvelous kingdom, courage, bravery, power, good deeds, a cursed prince who fought the demons of evil and how can I’d not praise our princess Jane Grape, who’s being the most intelligent character to safe her father’s Land and Kingdom, from Duke the red’s devilish plans. I have devoured the book in one sitting
Joel
3.5*
This is a review of the Audiobook read by David Sweeney-Bear

Story: 3
Performance: 4

The story is really simple and quite short. It's not original, yet it's pretty good. The Kingdom of Grape seems to be a great setting, but it was extremely overlooked by the author himself. I would like to read more stories happening there, and I hope next time we can see the kingdom in full view.

The main problem is that the whole time I felt like I was listening to a summary and not to the actual book. I kno
Kathryn
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent tale of good vs. evil.
Melissa Anderson
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nawal Azhar
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I would like to thank the author for sending me this amazing book in exchange for an honest review!

This book is a middle-grade chapter book called "The Kingdom of Grapes".

It has been a long time since I've read a children's book. Now you might be thinking what a strange name, that's what I thought as well, but this book is not entirely on grapes, although grapes have an important part in this book and no the characters are not talking grapes.

The story begins just like every 'Once U
JennShesBooked
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with my younger son (age 8), and then our oldest son (age 13) read it on his own. Everyone who read it really loved this story!

As a mom, I enjoyed the short chapters which made it easy for my youngest son to take turns reading with me. My oldest son appreciated the short chapters as well because he was able to fly through the book in one sitting.

The story itself was enchanting and imaginative. It was humorous but also had suspense, which engaged all of us as readers and made for
Tori
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author for my gifted copy of The Kingdom of Grape.

My son and I really enjoyed this story. We read it as his bedtime story and he loved it. It's the retelling of the classic idea of good vs evil and we both thought it would be a sweet series for young readers. There's a hint of magic, which we could all use right now.

I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars because the cover could use some work. Publishing companies are doing an amazing job of creating book covers that speak volumes befo
Daniella Hernandez
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Grape is not only the name of this kingdom, but also a way of life."
I received The Kingdom of Grape in exchange for an honest review, so thank you for that! First, I would like to say that I love this cover and the grape and wine aesthetic of this story is very unique. The book is a middle grade short story, a classic tale of good vs. evil and was a very enjoyable quick morning read with my tea.
This book would be good for kids starting out with chapter books as it is simple, easy to follow a
That Bookish Foodie
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

This is a fun kids story! If you listen to the audio book, it's under an hour and the voice was great!

The story isn't an original by any means but I did enjoy reading a classing storyline. They're classic for a reason, right?

This is great for kids. A princess doesn't want to mary the evil Duke and Donnie, the hero, is there to save the day 👑. It has a medieval type setting and they produce wine, hence the grape names and title 🍇

Overall it was a great listen!

I was given this book in e
Lisa Albright
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic tale of good vs evil told in a chapter format for young readers. Being the Kingdom of Grape there are many references to wine through the local names that adults will recognize and it's a great story to read along with a child. Castles, a dastardly prince, poison, and unlikely hero make this a sweet book for all to enjoy.

Thank you to the author for my gifted copy in exchange for an honest review!
Lisa Albright
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it

Thank you to the author for my gifted copy in exchange for an honest review!
Angel White
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this gem end of last year and had every intention of reading it sooner 🤣🤣🤣 I get distracted too easily. This is a very cute story that I can't wait to share.

It's a classic tale of a kingdom shadowed by the possibility of a new, evil king. A princess who is strong but needs help to save her kingdom and the story of a young man who becomes the hero he always knew he was.

If you have kiddos or grandbabies you read with, this would make a great addition to those shelves.
Rosemary Hughes
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have submitted this review after listening to the audiobooks of this title.

Yes, a simple true love versus royal duty type tale.
However, I cannot see overlooking murder as a good thing, especially a king, and father, but there's a message in there somewhere.
Mari’s Book Club
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a cool fantasy book for kids and teenagers. I honestly enjoyed buddy reading this book with my son. ⁣

It’s a book that takes place during the Middle Ages. It’s a classic good against evil. The main character Donnie Drake lost his parents at a young age. He’s put in an orphanage. But Donnie is destined for more. The book takes us on a fun journey of good vs evil. I do recommend it for the young ones out there.
Bookish Dragon NMY18
The author have given me a soft copy of the book for free, in exchange for an honest review.

"Only heart ache can create those beautiful tones" by: Raimo Strangis

First of all thank you to the author for giving me this oppurtunity to read and give review to this book.

I really enjoy reading the book, I really like the characters. I think that they are very strong willed, brave and very heroic. I love how the story was told, and it was an easy read. Kids would definitely love to read this, especial
_thatgirlwiththebook_
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Would it be too silly of me to say that I loved this children’s book so much that I am giving it 4 stars? Before you read any further, know that I am rating and reviewing this book keeping in mind the audience it is directed to.

This story begins from the grounds of Kingdom then proceed on to having magical healers and a cursed Prince and then a savior comes and saves the day in the end through Good in his heart. It’s a classic sweet little tale about Good Vs. Evil, woven through plain yet beaut
David Sweeney-Bear
What a great pleasure it was to narrate this charming children's story by the talented Raimo Strangis!
A magical, funny, captivating adventure tale for kids and lots of fun for adult grape-lovers too.
Mehvish Raza
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Raimo Strangis for sending me a copy of this book which is perfect for children who are starting to read chapter books.

Without giving the details away, as the name suggests, the story is set in a kingdom that relies heavily on its grape produce. The royal family is crippling and the princess must marry into a family that's not liked by the masses. One day she comes across the man of her dreams and the story begins to develop from there.

The story is fast paced, packed with good, evil an
Anais (atrailofpages)
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Lott Laurenreadsalott
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was offered a copy of “Kingdom of the Grape” by the author.
I gave it to my Niece to read. She really found a love of reading within the last year so I was so excited to let her dive in and see what she thought.
She LOVED it!! She was so excited to tell me about all the characters and their stories. After giving me a solid run down she tell me “Is it weird that I want to read it again?!” 😂
It makes me so happy to see her loving to read so much. So huge thank you to Mr Strangis!
So all that said,
Jennifer Coffey
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*thank you to the author for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

I was fully engaged with the fast-paced and engaging plot. Even though the story is 84 pages, there is plenty of detail and plot twists that leave the reader guessing. (+1)

The world-building is fully established with multiple kingdoms, social hierarchy, and magic. (+1)

The writing style is quick and features names of characters and kingdoms with the names of various types of wine
Tori Zimperi
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My kids absolutely loved this book! We read a couple of chapters at a time because they just couldnt get enough. They loved the pictures and the fact that it was a classic fairy tale. The story is very well written and can be enjoyed by a wide range of ages. As a parent reading to my children we all really liked it. Would recommend!

• In Five Years
  • The Wives
  • The Wife Who Knew Too Much
  • The Chestnut Man
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • Behind the Red Door
  • Indians on Vacation
  • The Grace Year
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City #1)
  • Grim Tales
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Sister Dear
  • Saint X
  • Christmas in Newfoundland — Memories and Mysteries: A Sgt. Windflower Book (The Sgt. Windflower Mysteries)
  • Dear Wife
  • Sister Margaret (Tommy Keane #1)
Raimo Strangis is a fiction writer from Toronto, Canada. Aside from writing, Raimo is a Red Seal Certified Chef and accomplished Songwriter. His children's novel, The Kingdom of Grape, received high praise for its charm, wit, and adventure. His latest novel, With Little Means, is his first venture into the young adult fiction genre in hopes to grow with his maturing audience. ...more

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...