Start by marking “Creation Spirituality: Liberating Gifts for the Peoples of the Earth” as Want to Read:
Creation Spirituality: Liberating Gifts for the Peoples of the Earth

Creation Spirituality: Liberating Gifts for the Peoples of the Earth

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  116 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
From Matthew Fox, the popular and controversial author of The Coming of the Cosmic Christ, a prophetic manifesto for the preservation of the planet.

For those new to the works of Matthew Fox, and for those eager to learn his thoughts after his Vatican-ordered public silence, comes this introduction to creation spirituality--Fox's framework for a far-reaching spirituality of
Published March 29th 1991 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Creation Spirituality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creation Spirituality

Lauren Read
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I was hoping, though not expecting, something more practical, but I found this theoretical read rewarding. I am quite drawn to the concept of Creation Spirituality as I am to Celtic Christianity, and this exploration helped validate the path I feel I am walking, as I become increasingly drawn to work for justice for animals. If you feel that deepening spirituality would naturally incline a person to activism, Fox would agree with you. But read more on it anyway, to gain some solid insight into t ...more
Sarah Bollinger
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Matthew Fox's approach to theology. This book was brilliant. I enjoyed Original Blessing more than this piece, as this book felt a bit too brief at times, but the ideas are so compelling nonetheless.
Greg
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
“Creation, then, at its core, is about relation. It is the spiraling, dancing, crouching, springing, leaping, surprising act of relatedness, of communing, of responding, of letting go, of being.” (9) In this I’m in complete agreement. Reminding oneself that we are all part of an overall creation invokes imagery of the family. The nature of the family invokes awe and reverence.

Fox presents an interesting framework, guided by mystics and modern psychology. The four paths of creation spirituality a
Phila Hoopes
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The First World is commonly understood as “free”…if this is so, however, why do we have such horrifically high rates of isolation, mental illness, addiction, violent crime? And why, in “Third World” countries considered “not free,” where material deprivation, struggle and suffering are commonplace, is there paradoxically a higher level of spiritual and psychological resiliency, social connectedness, even joy? In this 1991 volume, written during the sabbatical year of his silencing by the Vatican ...more
Kevin Ressler
This was quite an interesting perspective on Christianity. There were aspects that were enjoyable and I really resonate with the need for a liberation theology for the materially wealthier world. It challenged me to think where my place is in the world.

That said, I found that Fox often just goes a bit far, reaches a bit, and I wonder if this is to overcompensate in order to leave the reader somewhere towards a middle that would be more acceptable to Fox than mere intrigue without change.

In the e
Eric
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had some difficulty getting into this book at first, but then as I progressed into the second part and began to understand both the social and academic context for his definitions of creation spirituality I began to appreciate the book more. Overall, I ended up enjoying this introduction to Matthew Fox's work and look forward to getting my hands on some of his more rigorous books in the future.

On a side note, I was especially impressed with Matthew Fox after hearing his interview on Democracy
J.D.
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this was somewhat repetitive, I was quite on board with much of what he had to say. Although pockets of his thought/theology I have taken on myself, I have never seen such a cohesive effort in putting together a theology that is so intertwined with the earth. I love his perspective and loved in the introduction where he mentions that if he is going to aid in the destruction of so many trees by writing this book, he really believes that what he has to say is important. I really appreciat ...more
Alice
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hope
Mostly I read Matthew Fox when I'm despairing about the future of... everything, and this did its job as well as any other. It's probably a good introduction for someone who doesn't want to commit the mental energy to one of his longer books.
Rustam
  • Scarred by Struggle, Transformed by Hope
  • Original Self: Living with Paradox and Originality
  • Webs of Power: Notes from the Global Uprising
  • Nostradamus: The Complete Prophecies
  • Unconditional Confidence: Instructions for Meeting Any Experience with Trust and Courage
  • The Map: To Our Responsive Universe, Where Dreams Really Do Come True!
  • A Book of Hours
  • Christianity and Evolution
  • Here I Stand: My Struggle for a Christianity of Integrity, Love, and Equality
  • Passport to the Cosmos: Human Transformation and Alien Encounters
  • The Secret Teachings of Plants: The Intelligence of the Heart in the Direct Perception of Nature
  • Wildlife Wars: My Fight to Save Africa's Natural Treasures
  • The Universe Is a Green Dragon: A Cosmic Creation Story
  • Sabbatical Journey: The Diary of His Final Year
  • UFOs for the 21st Century Mind: A Fresh Guide to an Ancient Mystery
  • The New Diary: How to use a journal for self-guidance and expanded creativity
  • We Drink from Our Own Wells: The Spiritual Journey of a People
  • Neopagan Rites: A Guide to Creating Public Rituals That Work
Matthew Fox (born 1940) is an American Episcopal priest and theologian. He is an exponent of Creation Spirituality, a movement grounded in the mystical philosophies of medieval visionaries Hildegard of Bingen, Thomas Aquinas, Meister Eckhart and Nicholas of Cusa. His books have sold millions of copies and by the mid 1990s had a "huge and diverse following".
More about Matthew Fox