Start by marking “The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia” as Want to Read:
The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia

The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia (Kingfisher Encyclopedias )

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  329 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This authoritative reference book brings world history to life, from early humans to the current war on terror. Along the way, it reveals riveting facts on the founding of the great Roman Empire, the revolution that changed France forever, the war between the North and South that unified America, the start of World War I and the Great Depression that followed, the first mo ...more
Published September 9th 2004 by Kingfisher (first published December 31st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia

The Celtic Rebel (Richard)
I purchased this book at Goodwill and have used it very often. It is a great resource to have when you just don't want to Google something. Very easy to use and wonderful illustrations.
Yusuf_BigfootHunter
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very nice and detailed it took me a while to finish
Laura Sizemore LME 508

Type of Reference: Encyclopedia

Call Number: 909

Description: A reference guide to world history, featuring a timeline, key date boxes, and biographical features.

Review Citation:
Ostergard, M. (2012). [Review of the book The Kingfisher history encyclopedia revised edition]. Booklist, 109(5), 49.

Criteria:

Scope: The purpose of this selection is to provide students ages 9-14 with a one stop resource for information of our world’s history ranging from the earliest humans to the p
Lisbeth Rider
Call number
R
Kinf
Brief Description
The book is divided into ten sections, chronologically from The Ancient World (40,000-500BC) to The Modern World (1950 to the present). 496pp. Its layout is colorful and appealing, with photographs and maps on every page.
Citation for where the item has been reviewed
Ostergard, Maren (2012). Booklist, 109(5), p49.
Criteria:
Content Scope
There are ten sections arranged chronologically from The Ancient W
Bethany Richter Voight
Kingfisher. (2012). The Kingfisher history encyclopedia: 3rd edition. New York, NY: Kingfisher.

Citation by Bethany Voight
Type of Reference: Encyclopedia
Call Number: REF 909 Kinf

Accuracy: Critics have described the work as “concise and intriguing, written in an engaging style”. Several review sources are all positive. Another critic wrote that this volume will “have a general appeal beyond reporting”.

Authority: Kingfisher is a reputable publisher of children’s encyclopedias.

Currency: The curren
Krista
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this is a great reference book that we currently use in our homeschool. Full of wonderful information for my children. I only gave it 4 stars, however, because it has some weird nude illustrations in some of it. For Example the ancient Egyptian years they have women with their breasts hanging out of their tops. My kids thought that was funny. They are hand drawn illustrations and for the sake of being a kids reference encyclopedia I have no idea why they put those in there. Otherwise I w ...more
Kristal
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the favorite history encyclopedia in our homeschool. We refer to it often. It is colorful with great photography and info. We just skip over the evolution mumbo jumbo in the beginning. I leave it there so the kids know that's what some people think, rather than tearing that out of the book like some have been known to do!
Aries Eroles
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Encyclopedia is packed with the must to know things in World History. Detailed by a colourlful graphics, maps, and graphs people would not think history as a head aching course.

The books helped me a lot when I was in High School and made me outstanding in the class. Har har
Claudia
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Has some interesting nude illustrations but overall is very informative and interests my kids.
  • The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History
  • Early Modern Times: From Elizabeth the First to the Forty-Niners (The Story of the World #3)
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading
  • Invitation to the Classics: A Guide to Books You've Always Wanted to Read (Masterworks Series)
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
  • Galen and the Gateway to Medicine
  • Making Thirteen Colonies: 1600-1740 A History of US (A History of US #2)
  • Story of the Orchestra: Listen While You Learn About the Instruments, the Music and the Composers Who Wrote the Music!
  • A Child's History of the World
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of the Odyssey
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Cleopatra
  • From Tadpole to Frog
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Tirzah
"Kingfisher is an award-winning publisher for non-fiction and fiction for children of all ages. Known around the world for its informative and engaging reference and early-learning books, Kingfisher also receives widespread acclaim for its classic anthologies for five- to fourteen-year-olds and original picture books for very young children."
More about Kingfisher Publications...

Kingfisher Encyclopedias (6 books)
  • The Kingfisher Children's Encyclopedia