Start by marking “White Bears and Other Unwanted Thoughts: Suppression, Obsession, and the Psychology of Mental Control” as Want to Read:

In a series of groundbreaking experiments, Daniel M. Wegner told subjects not to think about white bears. Of course, they found it impossible to avoid thinking of the bears--just as it often seems impossible to stop thinking about forbidden foods, a painful memory, or everyday fears and worries. Synthesizing a wealth of scientific knowledge in an accessible, engaging style ...more
Published May 1st 1994 by The Guilford Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about White Bears and Other Unwanted Thoughts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Bears and Other Unwanted Thoughts

Start your review of White Bears and Other Unwanted Thoughts: Suppression, Obsession, and the Psychology of Mental Control
Michael Silverman
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every problem has an easy and swift solution, that is usually wrong.

I knew Dan Wegner as a truly impressive faculty member when I was at Harvard. When I coordinated a conference in NYC on consciousness, I invited him to speak. I was fortunate to get even the small amount of time I did with him. He was a brilliant thinker. His death represented a loss to the fields of psychology beyond measure.

This is a spectacular book that few will read. It is a bridge between cognitive science and clinical ps
Mary Karpel-Jergic
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology, self-help
An interesting book which includes some interesting information based on a wide selection of research evidence (mainly experiments with, as I suspect from psychology, undergrads as participants). The late Daniel M Wegner has a number of funny asides which you catch you unsuspectingly and a number of interesting suggestions with regard to dealing with unwanted thoughts. However, I found myself getting a bit lost in the reams of data and found them presented a in a bit of a disorganised manner - l ...more
Thomas
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people struggling with anxious thoughts, blunted emotions, or a plague of inaction
Full review here:

Some key quotes were transformative but a lot of the book was build-up. The style and humour was well-intentioned but I found it falling flat more often than not and at other times coming across as trying too hard. The big points were big, though, and the insight into myself and my thoughts, emotions, and actions this book brought to me are going to be incredibly and unexpectedly useful for personal growth and making me a better human.

RIP
Timothy
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not a lot of content. Each chapter basically makes a simple psychological observation that could have been explained in one paragraph. I found most of these observations to be uninteresting anyway. I definitely do not feel like I have a better grasp on how to control my thoughts after reading this.
Geldar
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Look, a psychology book! Psychology was my major. I did a project on this book.

If you have a sucky psyche, try reading it, otherwise, just come to the pseudo-professionals with your problems (such as Mr. Gerry Norbster).
Eric
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Deeply interesting, very well written, and mostly sensible.
Loa Skywalker
Oct 05, 2017
Darcy Wallace
Oct 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Every Time I Find the Meaning of Life, They Change It: Wisdom of the Great Philosophers on How to Live
  • Mexican Hooker #1: And My Other Roles Since the Revolution
  • Wilding
  • Kill the Silence: A Survivor's Life Reclaimed
  • Five Rivers Met on a Wooded Plain
  • The Legend of Pope Joan: In Search of the Truth
  • The Children of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #1)
  • Help
  • La settimana bianca
  • The Exiles
  • Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont
  • Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End
  • Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy
  • Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly
  • Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers
  • Designing Your Life: Build a Life that Works for You