Start by marking “McDowell” as Want to Read:
McDowell

McDowell

An admired but cold and ruthless surgeon lies and cheats to rise to the top of his profession as a member of the President's cabinet. He founds a hospital in Nepal where he conquers 8000-meters peaks. Fame and self-esteem rise but he fails at attempts to parent his three children. A disastrous personal tragedy results in conviction for 2nd degree murder and he escapes pris ...more
Published August 30th 2019 by Storyinliteraryfiction.com

To ask other readers questions about McDowell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McDowell

Start your review of McDowell
Katrina
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, e-book, netgalley
Writing a good story with a deeply dislikeable main character is a difficult task, and unfortunately, I don’t think the author pulled it off here. While the central theme was solid enough, the execution left a lot to be desired. Too many paper thin characters and plot points that are skimmed over and rushed.

This was an FRC in exchange for an honest review. With thanks to Netgalley and BookBuzz.Net
TaQuanda Taylor
This was hard to get through. The story jumped all over the place and I couldn't figure out what the story was actually about. ...more
Susan Keefe
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh how the mighty fall…

Multiple award willing literary fiction author William H. Coles has used his life experiences in the worlds of medicine, music, and writing to create this unforgettable thriller filled with mystery and suspense. Creator of storyinliteraryfiction.com a resources website for the authors, illustrators and readers, William Cole lives and writes in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The stories main character Hiram McDowell is a respected surgeon, set on a glorious path to success. However,
Grant Leishman
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed For Readers' Favorite by Grant Leishman

McDowell by William H Coles brings us the tale of a man who, having reached the top of his profession, self-destructs and loses it all, then attempts to rebuild his life from scratch. McDowell is a world-renowned surgeon, lauded by all as one of the best in the business and he knows it. This overachiever climbs mountains in his spare time and has summitted Everest along with most of the highest peaks in Nepal. He is known by all as cold, ruthless
Marissa Michael
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is written from the omnipresent third person's view which gave me the feeling of being introduced to each character and has made me preoccupied while reading this book, with the characters in living their respective lives.

There are two parts in this book: Part One and Part Two. Part One described more about Hiram McDowell whose profession is a surgeon, he is a world class mountain climber and a philanthropist (in a minuscule way) for the healthcare foundation in Nepal.

Part two is abo
Nila Eslit
William H. Coles' "McDowell" follows the story of Hiram McDowell, a famous surgeon, and a skilled mountain climber. Hiram is a self-centered man who cares for no one except his children. He may be a fictitious character, but sadly, Hiram represents many people in the real world where fame and recognition are the only things that matter to them. But, no matter how despicable he may seem to his colleagues, Hiram McDowell is not beyond change and remorse. After all, no person is inherently bad.

It t
Eleanor
Dec 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to OnlineBookClub.org for providing me with the opportunity to read and review this.

This was, in my opinion, a very strange book. I shall attempt to summarise the plot briefly, but I'm afraid I am going to find it quite difficult. The plot was very... [i]all over the place[/i], for lack of a better term.

As the title suggests, this novel follows the life of Hiram McDowell, a wealthy surgeon and father. He has been married several times, and is currently with his wife Carole, who has two da
Norm Goldman
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

In McDowell: A Novel, Award-Winning author William H. Coles explores the life-altering consequences of Dr. Hiram McDowell who rises to the pinnacle of his profession only to see his life turned completely upside down owing to his many indiscretions.
While at the top, Hiram was President of the Board of Regents of the International College of Surgeons, a department head of surgery in a prestigious hospital in Denver, founder of a philanthropic organization for the care of the indigent in Nepal, a
Emi Bevacqua
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Hiram McDowell's life is complex: married three times with three children plus step-kids, living and working in hospitals in Denver and Louisville and Kathmandu, plus spending time in Chicago on the board for the International College of Surgeons. He is egotistical and obsessive by nature, with an utter lack of empathy and disregard for the feelings of others; the way he talks to and about everyone is caustic, withering and unforgivable and yet nobody addresses any of this ever, and he has sex w ...more
Grady
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The motives and means of McDowell’s death will always be front page interest”

Utah author William H. Coles, MD is a retired Ophthalmologist whose medical career was internationally lauded for his expertise as an ophthalmic surgeon specializing in ocular injury repair and reconstruction, a professor and chairman at SUNY Buffalo School of Medicine, a Regent for The American College of Surgeons, president of the Association of University Professors in Ophthalmology, and lecturer on mechanistic biol
Stephanie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: at-least-i-tried
I couldn’t finish it.

I’ll give it one star for making an attempt at the difficult art of writing a character the reader is supposed to dislike (and because I don’t have a lesser choice). It’s hard to portray these characters. I get it.

With that said, this just felt poorly written no matter how many awards the author throws in the heading.
William Coles
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Award-wining novel with in depth characterization and dramatic plot that demands to be read to the finish. The fifth novel by William H. Coles available in many formats including audio.
Savannah Rose
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McDowell is a novel by award-winning author William H. Coles.  The story centers around Dr. Hiram McDowell and deals with issues of morality, justice, and personal development.

The reader is introduced to the deeply-flawed Dr. McDowell; a brash and arrogant man on his third marriage.  Beyond his character deficits, we learn of the hospital he has built in Nepal and the charitable foundation he founded.

Dr. McDowell’s ambition leads him to the top of his field, but his questionable methods in get
Raquel
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
McDowell by William H. Coles was interesting in that it discussed taboo subjects. By that, I mean, subjects that normally society shies away from. Such as euthanasia; it’s a huge part of this book and it was interesting to see various points of view on it. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes also touches on that subject. In Me Before You the main character decides to do it himself. It ultimately affects a lot of people in the main character’s life. Much like it affects the family and ultimately friends ...more
Stephanie H.
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel is gripping and provocative with a multilayered, intricately-woven plot. The characters have been developed very well and for the most part are not what I expected them to be when they were first introduced. Most importantly, the book evoked many conflicting emotions in me and left me wondering what is truly right and wrong, as well as what we should do when a person or an action falls squarely into the moral gray area.

Hiram McDowell is a nationally-acclaimed surgeon with philanthropi
Jan Anderegg
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hiram McDowell is easy to dislike from the very beginning of this story. His arrogance and callous disregard for anyone but himself overwhelm entirely any sense of admiration for the esteemed career position he holds. In fact, this main character was so distasteful in every aspect of his personality, I was almost reluctant to continue reading more about him. In this, William H. Coles did a brilliant job.
Despite my intense distaste for the main character, the story became intriguing as the plot d
Mariel
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
McDowell by William H. Coles is a family story. It tells the story of the McDowell family, from its patriarch Hiram McDowell to his children, Ann, Sophie, and Billie, and few other characters influenced by the family, a hard-boiled journalist Paige Sterling and Michael O’Leary as they navigate through life’s ups and downs.

Hiram is extremely unlikable from the first page. He’s shown abandoning his climbing partner a few feet from the summit as well as being unsympathetic and downright cold to hi
Sierra Peterson
May 06, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
McDowel by William H. Coles follows the story of a surgeon by the name of Hiram McDowel. He is at the top of his profession, having worked as a surgeon for many years. Publicly, he uses the money he makes to start medical foundations in third world countries. However, when he is accused of taking money from one of his foundations for mountain climbing, he begins to believe the world is out to get him. Then, when a family tragedy befalls him, he makes a decision that tips him over the edge, falli ...more
John J.
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First understand this. Dr. Hiram McDowell was once a despicable individual. As Charles Dicken’s wrote in the holiday classic, “A Christmas Carol,” this must be understood or no good can come from this story. William H. Coles has written this tale of a shabby protagonist to show how free will and hubris can ruin a person’s life. From the very first page of the novel we see this talented doctor failing to come to the aid of others in need in his quest to reach the top. Over and over, McDowell make ...more
Pamela Gossiaux
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Extraordinary – and Entertaining – Work of Fiction!

Coles is the winner of nearly 40 awards for his fiction, and I can see why. After reading McDowell and listening to a few of his short stories on his website, I believe he must be one of the most talented and prolific writers of our time.

McDowell grabs your attention immediately, as Hiram McDowell is attempting to scale a snowy mountain peak in Nepal. Near the summit, his fellow-climber falls from exhaustion and pleads for McDowell to help hi
Please Pass the Books
McDowell by William H. Coles is an engrossing piece of literary fiction surrounding the rise, fall, and ultimate redemption of Dr. Hiram McDowell. McDowell is both the story's protagonist and, as he truly is his own worst enemy, also the catalyst for his demise. This snowballs from years of narcissism, callous behavior, and a 'win at any cost' attitude. He's blameless in his own eyes. Blameless for failed marriages, for his vengeful colleagues, and for the frailty of his own family—which catastr ...more
Ivan Hecimovic
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
McDowell is strange novel. There is not much novels (at least, I am not familiar with them) in which the author writes about a protagonist who we need to dislike. I am not going to say, “Hate’’ because hatred is a bit too strong word. Nevertheless, as I said- I have not read many novels like this one and as such I wanted to go through it, to the end, just to see what is it all about with this “McDowell guy.’’
Well, first of all Mr. McDowell is not some random “guy’’ you can pick on the street. H
Jamie
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McDowell is about a surgeon named Hiram McDowell, who is pretty much disliked by everyone. His family is a complete wreck and his relationships remain distant.
He created a foundation hospital in Nepal and became president of the International College of Surgeons. But despite his accomplishments, people still wanted to bring him down. What’s the plot twist? Hiram has a good side! But can anyone see it?

When I first began to read this novel, I really didn’t like Hiram. I didn’t like how he treated
Winston Russel
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has taught me to love life, seek happiness, and give people love, kindness, and generosity. Life is short, and to live in love and happiness is more important than anything you could imagine.

Hiram McDowell is a man of great success! He has lived his life as a successful surgeon with plenty of contributions to the medical school and administration throughout his professional career. He prides himself on his success and fortune but has lost his connection to people. His own family hates
Cale
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"McDowell” by William H. Coles is truly a great piece of storytelling, and any literary and character drama fan should go and read this (and the other novels by this author). There are several familiar arch types and tropes that border on cliché, but Coles manages to just avoid it with compelling backstory and genuine character development with the believable relationships that develop amongst the characters (especially with McDowell and his family). While Hiram McDowell is clearly the main figu ...more
Rose Mute
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent story about the loathsome Hiram McDowell. He is a selfish, arrogant and callous man. He has little regard for the women in his personal and professional life. In public he is a renowned surgeon, philanthropist and avid mountain climber. Behind closed doors he is unfaithful friend and husband, and an absentee father. His life takes a sharp turn after his grandson failed suicide attempt leaves him comatose and unresponsive. A selfish choice leads to imprisonment. This is not the end o ...more
John Smith
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stay With This One. It's Worth It.

Do you know the feeling of spending a significant portion of time reading a rather long novel, and when you reach the conclusion, you are sad to say goodbye to the complex and interesting characters that inhabit the story? I experience this phenomenon with the occasional book. This is exactly how I felt about McDowell by William Coles.

This is the first book that I have read from this author, and I must say it was a good book.

The tone is almost astonishingly ligh
Ava WILLIAMS
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is statistically improbable that I will read a book as good as this one anytime soon. Although I’ll admit it starts slowly, I found that the depths of this novel are revealed as the protagonist’s life unfolds.

Other than that, this is another wonderful story. Quirky characters and a fair dose of improbable coincidences, William Coles again weaves a tale that captivates, enraptures, and satisfies.

What always fascinates me is how the author manages to write such sophisticated and complex prose,
Richard Collins
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Believably authentic with a well-developed plot.

“McDowell” is a novel that doesn’t lie to you. The first part shows you Dr. Hiram McDowell, a successful surgeon. President of the Board of Regents of the International College of Surgeons. Head, Denver Department of Surgery. Founder, surgery center in Nepal. And so much more. The second part shows you Hiram, convicted of second-degree murder, and has escaped.

In both parts, Hiram didn’t pretend to be someone he was not. But his transformation also
Enrique Rogers
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-written, touching, and sincere. I enjoyed this book, and the story is brilliant! I like reading about the character Hiram McDowell. Hiram is like me, and like any other guy looking to establish himself and create a family.

Every man is a dark soul trying to discover himself from success, women, and money. Little do we know that we can only find it at the lowest point of our life. Like you and me, fate had it, and it indicted him even if his intentions were purely rational and sought to prot
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Ready or Not, Here I Come
  • Through the Redwood Hollow
  • For You, My Child
  • The Art of Creating Story
  • Poems: Reflecting the Truth-Volume One: Over Fifty Years Researching the Truth
  • Not All Who Wander Need Be Lost: Stories of Hope for Families Facing Alzheimer's and Dementia
  • You're on Your Own
  • A Recluse No More: Battling with the Dragons of the Mind
  • When Writing Morphs Into a Lifetime
  • My Name Is Saul: A Novel of the Ancient World
  • A Bitter Wind (Time Entanglement #1)
  • A Celebration of Humanity
  • Three Degrees and Gone
I am the owner and developer of the website Story in Literary Fiction as well as several mobile applications. I've written all of the content on my website: short stories, novels, essays, interviews and produced downloadable-audio readings of stories. I've also written several novels. My interviews include: prominent authors, educators, writers and editors.

In addition, I'm the producer and reader