Start by marking “Mean People Suck: How Empathy Leads to Bigger Profits and a Better Life” as Want to Read:
Mean People Suck: How Empathy Leads to Bigger Profits and a Better Life

Mean People Suck: How Empathy Leads to Bigger Profits and a Better Life

Are you happy? Like your job? Most people report low engagement and enthusiasm in their careers. And point their finger at a negative work culture, a mean boss... co-worker... or customer. Mean people suck.

Some leaders believe that they need to be mean in order to be effective. Their lack of compassion creates negative relationships that lowers performance and profits!

Published October 25th 2019 by Marketing Insider Publications

To ask other readers questions about Mean People Suck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mean People Suck

Start your review of Mean People Suck: How Empathy Leads to Bigger Profits and a Better Life
Jaine
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full Review at https://yellowmajesty.com/mean-people...

4.5/5 stars

Mean People Suck is a book that mainly highlights about empathy and how it can help a business or an individual in a job. It also talks about experiences of individuals who have used empathy in various different ways that gives them success in their careers. In addition, it emphasizes on sub-topics that relate to empathy. And that makes the book interesting and a lot easier to digest.

Stumbling upon this book and just being curious
Kyle
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksirens
Mean people suck is an idea that we have been taught since we were children (it was stated in gentler terms back then), but it is a lesson that gets fuzzier the older we grow. Many professionals feel that the practice of empathy is not crucial for effective leadership or production. Michael Brenner persuasively uses real world examples and stories to highlight how one can achieve greater success by enhancing their empathetic side.

I received an ARC of this book via BookSirens in exchange for my
Darya
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Empathy is something everybody is talking about. How to is the question? Good examples and practical advice application of empathy in life and work. The book is engaging and easy to ready. My favorite part was comparison of a hero journey and Pixar story telling. Very well structured and I'd recommend to read to everyone who is looking to see how empathy can be applied in business and life situations.
Alyssa
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. Yes, mean people suck, but how do they get that way? Lack of empathy. Michael does an excellent job describing why empathy is such a hugely important factor in marketing, leadership, and life. Chock full of solid examples, the book really shines in the second half, giving guidance on what questions to ask when determining whether to do something, in understanding why it matters, what the impact is, and how to measure it. If you know Michael, and I do, you know hes a fantastic ...more
Nathan Albright
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-2019
[Note:  This book was provided free of charge by BookSirens.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.]

I think it can be safely agreed by everyone that mean people suck.  That said, I think most people would likely not consider themselves to be mean people.  They might think of themselves as people in bad situations, or people who might be a bit irritable sometimes, or people who are put in difficult positions, but by and large people would not think that they are mean people or bullies even when
Roope
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Got a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. A book about business, leadership and empathy. The leading theme in the book is that using empathy in every aspect of business increases the revenue and yields better results than not using empathy.

The writer's background and focus in marketing is clearly visible, for most of the examples are related to marketing, but still the examples are interesting and diverse. Yet some of the examples and conclusions are slightly weak, or could use
Mir Ashraf
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-read
Awesome book. Get lot of informative information from the book . Business related info my favourite.Just love it. thanks to the author.
Amanda
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Mean people suck! This book showed so many examples of how and why they do in the workplace. As a practice manager, I requested this book to see if it would give me any insight on how to better myself in my position in the work field. I wasn't disappointed. Brenner gives some great examples on how empathy can create a better working environment in even just the slightest forms. He creates graphs and diagrams to further help his examples and enlighten people. His many years of experience, in many ...more
J.K. Miller
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are not born with empathy, as Michael points out. It is a learned trait, and as a society we seem to be un-learning it: employees are half as likely as their CEOs to report that their organizations show empathy.

The books core message is simple and timeless: By treating people with compassion and respect we can improve our workplaces, results, and live happier lives.

The book is packed with stories, models, and practical suggestions, backed up by data and the authors own experiences as a
Kelly Long
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
Mean People Suck! And there are plenty around. It only takes one in a workplace to make life difficult. This is a great book for business purposes but also for life in general. The examples and tips in this book would be very beneficial to any management level employee who wants to create a better workplace environment and have happy internal and external customers.
Carlos Hidalgo
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to get an advance copy of the book and believe the message is clear . . . mean people really do suck and we all have an opportunity to show kindness and empathy in our personal and professional lives. I would highly recommend this book as proof of that.
Heather Bennett
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mean People Suck is a informative and interesting book. We all have to face mean people and the author offers some good advice. Well written.
Jay

• Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • The Grace Year
  • My Big Fat Fake Wedding
  • Me
  • Dark in Death (In Death, #46)
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know
  • Beautiful, Complicated Family: Volume 1
  • Beautiful, Complicated Family: Volume 2
  • Life Is a 4-Letter Word: Laughing and Learning Through 40 Life Lessons
  • Chasing Eden A Memoir
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
  • Necessary People
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Sotaromaani: Tuntemattoman sotilaan käsikirjoitusversio
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11
  • Becoming Super Woman: A Simple 12-Step Plan to Go from Burnout to Balance
Michael Brenner has been recognized as a Forbes top CMO influencer, a Top Business Keynote Speaker by the Huffington Post and a Top Motivational Speaker by Entrepreneur Magazine. He is CEO of Marketing Insider Group, where he has worked with more than 75 brands in building effective content marketing and employee activation programs.
A sought-after speaker and co-author of two other books, Michael