Start by marking “Islam Today: A Short Introduction to the Muslim World” as Want to Read:
Islam Today: A Short Introduction to the Muslim World

Islam Today: A Short Introduction to the Muslim World

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  66 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Although there are over one billion Muslims in the world, and over ten million in the West, most discussions of Islam are based on clichés or outright prejudice. This lively and compelling book sets out to bridge the gulf of misunderstanding. Islam, argues Akbar Ahmed, does not mean the subordination of women, contempt for other religions, opposition to the modern world, o ...more
Published March 15th 1999 by I. B. Tauris (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Islam Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Islam Today

Dana
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book. It was what I was looking for, a broad overview of beliefs without politics.
Valdeir
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another book required for reading for an International Relations class. It gives an excellent overview of Islam with great historical and cultural explanations.
Anam Shabbir
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: islam, non-fiction
I was looking for a quick, short and simple read for my all Non-Muslim friends, who always want to know about Islam. They are curious to know the complexity and diversity which makes them puzzle.
The rise of Islamophobia and the emergence of Saviour Narrative especially against Muslim Women. The false view in the International Media and the slogans of "Barbaric Religion". This all is something very common assumption among people. So, all those who are curious to know the truth, pick this "Short"
Josh
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, politics, culture
Certainly a helpful book to read in our modern world.
Michael
Oct 03, 2010 rated it did not like it
I was looking forward to this book as a potential good reference on Islam that would provide a good overview of its tenets, history, and challenges for today. Sadly, this book does not deliver.

My father gave me the book several years ago after he read it but I let it sit around. I thought it was time to read it. While it does provide some of the things I was looking for, it is too disjointed, too full of the writer’s wishes, opinion, anecdotal evidence, and simple unbacked assertions to be that
Tamara Epps
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
This review is also published on my book blog Captivated by Books

As I now live in an Islamic dominant area, and I don’t really know much about the religion or the culture, I wanted to learn a bit about it. Islam Today wasn’t what I expected. I was hoping to learn the religion’s rules and values, and while this book does touch on them, it was more like a (very long) history lesson. In one way this is good as it shows how different areas of the world have affected the religion, as well as explaini
Nasir
Nov 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I found this book to be very well written. For the first time I have a picture of the differences between Sunni and Shia Islam and what the Islamic countries and peoples are going through in modern times as well as giving a consise history of the Islamic empires of the past. The author does not present a lop sided picture at all but strives to show the problems that Islam faces from both within and without. It most definitely made the Islamic people more human to me.
Sabio
Jul 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Author is Muslim
A good short introduction.
Rebecca
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nicely traced history. Good fill-in for reading other works. 1999, but still, everything up until that time is good. Some very personal observations by the Pakistani author.
Jo
Feb 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another introductory book I read several years ago. It was very beneficial for me at that time.
Michael Case
Aug 15, 2012
Isaac
Apr 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-good
A pretty solid introduction to the Islamic world. The apologetics became irritating at times. Give it a read!
May 01, 2013