Start by marking “Starting From Now (Detective Dave Burrows)” as Want to Read:
Starting From Now (Detective Dave Burrows)

Starting From Now

(Detective Dave Burrows)

A suspenseful novel of rural life and real country issues from our genuine Voice of the Outback, author of the bestselling Where the River Runs

When twenty-five-year-old journalist, Zara Ellison receives her mother's ominous text message, Call me when you can, Zara knows it's not good news.

Two weeks later, Zara has left her much-loved city life to relocate to Barker, the sl
Published November 1st 2019 by Allen & Unwin AU

To ask other readers questions about Starting From Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting From Now

Start your review of Starting From Now (Detective Dave Burrows)
Dale Harcombe
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The prologue starts with an accident that leaves a man dead, before moving to the courtroom where Zara Ellison, a journalist, is there to report on the case of the man who died. In the courtroom are a crowd waving posters and placards against the forestry commission. They blame them for the fact that one of their own on a covert mission died. The dead man, Colin Gawd, was a serial protestor. Zara also makes contact with Gawd’s daughter Sophie, which she hopes to follow up on. But the phone call ...more
Brenda
Twenty-five-year-old Zara Ellison was a journalist who loved her job. She’d been with the Farming Telegraph in Adelaide for years and was a well-respected journo. Her hometown of Barker wasn’t a long drive away, but she loved city life even though she was born a country girl. Zara covered the farmers, the drought and everything connected to the land – farming was in her blood as she had grown up on the family farm, Rowberry Glen. The emergence of a local activist group, Voices for Animals, was s ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Fleur McDonald holds plenty of weight in the Australian rural fiction field. McDonald delivers another top notch novel, her best yet, in Starting From Now. A story of family, duty, rural crime, journalism, activism and advances in farming enterprises, McDonald’s latest is all wrapped up in a shroud of mystery. Starting From Now is a book I thoroughly enjoyed from cover to cover and it is a highly commendable novel from a talented Australian storyteller.

Start
Jenny
Starting From Now is book five in the Detective Dave Burrows series by Fleur McDonald. After receiving a phone call from her mother letting Journalist, Zara Ellison letting her know that her brother is dying. Zara decided to leave her job in the city and come home to Barker. Zara, needed to work so accepted a journalist job with the local newspaper. Zara Ellison knowledge the best place to learn about local issues is the police station were she met Detective Dave Burrows and Senior Constable Jac ...more
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww, own
My View:
Fleur McDonald has an authentic country voice that she uses to share her experiences and knowledge of life in small country towns, farming and life in general. This narrative had a couple of standout plot threads - activism and social media – looking deeper, reflecting on “snapshots” on social media and media manipulation and the family in crisis.

I was particularly touched by the family scenes that dealt with family crisis (no spoilers here); the scenes were realistic, emotive and evoked
Kirsty Whitehead
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book with an awesome well written story looking forward to your next book
Patricia
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The way Fleur McDonald blends relevant issues, which she obviously feels strongly about, in Rural Fiction, is masterful. This is an extremely powerful book with a message but it doesn't preach. The way Fleur combines different scenarios is thought provoking. I loved Zara, an investigative journalist, someone who throws herself completely into the current project she is covering but never loses sight of the overall picture, someone who sees different sides to the situation.
The sensitive way Fleu
Vicki Robe
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Starting from now is the continuation of Detective Dave Burrows and his life with his second wife Kim in Barker.

Zara Allison is a young single rural journalist who gets a phone call asking her to come home to Barker as her brother's cancer has worsened and he only has months to live. So she packs up her belongings and returns home. Although she is home she still needs to work, so she introduces herself at the Barker Police Station in the hope of getting information for stories.

In amongst work an
It abruptly finishes
It's odd
Suzanne
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Romantic suspense, really good read although I struggled to get into this one more than the others. I think I've missed 'Fools Gold' somewhere along the way. Back to Barker for more of Detective Dave and his lovely wife, the young second in charge Jack Higgins (a great author too) alongside farming journalist Zara Ellison.
With return comes heartbreak and healing while investigating radical activists and intense accidents.
Robyn Coyle
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the read. Not to start, but it soon caught my attention.
Deborah
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this (interrelated) series by Fleur McDonald. It really doesn't matter where you enter because each of the books works easily as a standalone. Detective Dave Burrows is the link between books, but each introduces new characters whose stories are central to the plot.

There's usually a smidge of romance and a crime or two and they're all set in rural or regional Australia. Given her own farming background, McDonald effortlessly conveys a real sense of the lives our characters le
Tracy Mackay
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Allen and Unwin for my copy.

This is my second Fleur McDonald novel, Indigo Storm being my first and this one was way better and more exciting.
I loved the characters, except some of the activists ( nasty ) and the descriptions of the characters were excellent.
There were a few different parts to the story, but not too much to make it confusing and enough to keep it really interesting.
Beautiful descriptions of the country and farm life were spot on without going overboard. Sad in pla
Angela
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Activists and farmers. A very present-day issue. It was beautiful reading about it and try to understand the motives behind both groups. Detective Dave Burrows and his wife Kim bring a tone of pleasing complicity into the story. And Will's medical condition let us think about another big issue so many families are facingin their lives.
A very good read, and I love the rural setting, as it's always with Fleur McDonald's books!
Dragonladymoi
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Main character, Zara, faces some huge challenges when her brother is diagnosed with terminal cancer. Already hurting from the tragic loss of her father, she is finding it hard to accept. She is a journalist in the city and is able to continue writing in the country, particularly with animal activist activities becoming more widespread and violent. An enjoyable read in true Fleur McDonald style.
Sheree Johns
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of my very favourite authors. Love me a good Dave Burrows boi
Ann D
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was great to see Dave Burrows again, a wonderful story. Loved the characters
Karen
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book finished in under a week, which is good for me.
Andrea
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Learning from others is the key to success. I learnt some great insights from this book. Enjoyable read with a touch of romance.
Edith Clark
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another one of Fleur’s books that one wants to keep reading until the end. Suspense, mystery, rural life and a little bit of romance written by one of my favourite authors.
Carolynn Caldwell
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent novel with Detective Dave!
Wow, talk about so true to life, a fabulous read!
Faye Lewis
May 13, 2020
Diane
Nov 20, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Return to Stringybark Creek (The Callahans of Stringybark Creek #3)
  • Something to Talk About
  • Riverstone Ridge
  • Fool Me Once
  • The Boundary Fence (Woodlea, #7)
  • Just One Wish
  • Matters of the Heart
  • Something in the Wine
  • Mr Right Now (The Callahans of Stringybark Creek #2)
  • The Stockman's Secret
  • The Desert Midwife
  • The Long Road Home
  • The Model Wife
  • Charlotte Pass
After growing up on a farm near Orroroo in South Australia, Fleur McDonald’s first job was jillarooing in the outback. She has been involved in agriculture all her life, including helping manage a 8000-acre station foe twenty years. Today she and her two children, along with a Jack Russell and her energetic kelpie, Jack, live in Esperance, Western Australia,

Fleur is the author of 14 bestselling n

Detective Dave Burrows (7 books)
  • Fool's Gold (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Suddenly One Summer
  • Where the River Runs (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Without a Doubt (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Red Dirt Country (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • The Shearer's Wife