Start by marking “A Bad Hair Day Cookbook: Recipes from Nancy J. Cohen's Cozy Mystery Series” as Want to Read:
A Bad Hair Day Cookbook: Recipes from Nancy J. Cohen's Cozy Mystery Series

A Bad Hair Day Cookbook: Recipes from Nancy J. Cohen's Cozy Mystery Series

Are you having a bad hair day? Whip out your whisk, snatch up your spoon, and prepare your palate. Inside the pages of this cookbook are recipes that will bring you good cheer.

Enjoy 160+ tasty recipes from Nancy J. Cohen’s popular Bad Hair Day cozy mystery series. Included in this cookbook are excerpts, cooking tips, and anecdotes written by hairstylist and savvy sleuth Ma
Published November 19th 2019 by Orange Grove Press

To ask other readers questions about A Bad Hair Day Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bad Hair Day Cookbook

Start your review of A Bad Hair Day Cookbook: Recipes from Nancy J. Cohen's Cozy Mystery Series
Julie
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Bad Hair Day Cookbook by Nancy J. Cohen is a 2019 Orange Grove Press publication.

This is a fantastic idea for cozy mystery fans

Cozy mystery readers often find a handful of recipes at the end of a book, a nice added bonus, whether it’s a culinary themed mystery, or not.

Occasionally, I do remember to jot down a recipe I find in a book, but often times I’ll shove the book back on my shelf after I’ve finished reading it, thinking that if I need the recipe again, I can always look it back up.
Rebecca Reviews
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nancy J. Cohen’s A Bad Hair Day Cookbook is an easy-to-read and well-organized collection of recipes from her cozy mystery series. I love the huge variety of recipes but I wish the cookbook had pictures to liven it up.

The book is extremely well-organized into many sections including breads, desserts, and entrees with each meat even getting their own subsection. I love the helpful little tips at the beginning of each recipe about sides and substitutions etc. There’s even a themed menu section so
Taryn
Shelves: cookbooks
In this new book from Nancy Cohen you'll find a wonderful collection of recipes right out of her Bad Hair Day cozy mystery series. I always love when a cozy author includes recipes in their books but it's even better when they bring all those recipes together and puts them in a cookbook. There are over 160 recipes to choose from and there is not only something for everybody but also a great recipe for any occasion. I always love trying recipes from books and made the Spinach Artichoke Dip for my ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy the Bad Day Day series by Nancy Cohen and always love when recipes are included in a book. This is a wonderful compilation of recipes from the various books in this series. Whether you like to cook or not, whether you are a good cook or not, this cookbook is for you. Many of the recipes are simple, with just a few ingredients, that anyone who can create something delicious. The book is divided into sections that make recipes easy to follow. There are so many of these that I want to try. ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I am a cookbook-aholic and always love when authors that include recipes in their books compile them all into one easy location - like a cookbook!  I have been savoring each recipe and while I haven't made any of them quite yet, I have bookmarked a few to try out on my family and friends.

What I also enjoyed about this book was the excerpts from several of the books, noting which recipes were from which book, and the tips and tricks at the beginning.  The recipes include everything from appetizer
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)

I don’t usually review cookbooks … but I do review cozy mysteries, and A Bad Hair Day Cookbook is the best of both worlds. It’s a cookbook within a cozy mystery universe, a concept which I find delightful in every way.

Right away, Cohen introduces us to Marla Vail, the protagonist in her Bad Hair Day mystery series, and then ‘Marla’ takes over and the rest of the cookbook is mostly from her point of view. This technique serves to engage fans of the series, as well as people who haven’t
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you asked me a couple years ago what my favorite genre is to read, I’d have told you cozy mysteries. They still are, but now they tie with cookbooks. I can read my way through a cookbook just like I can any novel. Authors like Nancy J. Cohen have brought them both together. All I can say is, thank you!

A BAD HAIR DAY COOKBOOK brings to readers the amazingly delicious recipes from the series of the same name. Easy, fancy, and favorite standbys, they’re all covered, making this book packed with
Janet
Superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

Angela (Kentuckybooklover) Brocato-Skaggs
A new favorite cookbook. I will be buying a hard copy very soon. Plenty of yummy recipes to keep me busy for a bit.

The cooking tips, in the beginning, were very helpful. A few things I did not know like you can exchange parsley for cilantro. It is divided into sections like most cookbooks are but Cohen made sure to include a vegetarian section which will be helpful when I have my niece over. There is also a beverage section. If you like doing theme dinners, Cohen has also taken the time to give
Julia David
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are so many good recipes in this cookbook. I tried several and they are so yummy!
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the Great Escapes Book Tours. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.A Bad Hair Day Cookbook by Nancy J. Cohen is a different approach toa cookbook, but one that I enjoyed.
Find the recipe and which mystery it came from
I haven't read any of the Bad Hair Day Mysteries, but now I want to learn more about Marla Vail and her detective husband. Marla sounds like a fabulous character. I am adding these to my TBR pile.
Jan
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Bad Hair Day Cookbook by Nancy J Cohen

If you like to cook, this cookbook is for you. If you don’t like to cook, this cookbook is for you. Many of the recipes are so simple, with just a few ingredients, that even the poorest cook can follow the directions and create something delicious.
I have read most of Nancy Cohen’s Bad Hair Day Mysteries staring Marla and her husband Dalton. I got so swept up in reading the introduction to each recipe that I forgot these recipes were from Marla and not Ms.
Kathleen
Shelves: read-2019, cookbooks
“A Bad Hair Day Cookbook” earns 5+/5 Silver Whisks!

Nancy J. Cohen’s cookbook states, “Whether you’re a skilled cook or an eager novice, this cookbook will have you in and out of the kitchen in no time.” So any experienced or novice cook will enjoy this “must have” collection of 160+ recipes of family favorites, some “inherited from [Nancy’s] mother.” From appetizers to entrees and sides, from breads, sauces, and soups in time for cold weather to desserts and refreshing beverages, the cookbook al
OpenBookSociety.com

Katreader
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A BAD HAIR DAY COOKBOOK
By Nancy J. Cohen

Marla Vail, the savvy hairdresser and sleuth of the Bad Hair Day Mystery series by Nancy J. Cohen, is back. Instead of solving a new mystery, however, Marla is sharing lots of easy to prepare recipes in a cookbook.

A BAD HAIR DAY COOKBOOK is a great little book. There are a lot of recipes, over 160, well organized into types, for example appetizers, beverages, and desserts. I especially like how the entrees are divided into types as well, lamb, chicken, veg
Kathleen Kelly
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love to cook and I collect cookbooks and recipes. I am always looking for something different and I actually did find a few in the book that I want to try.
A Bad Hair Day Cookbook is unique in the way that it shares not only recipes but excerpts and anecdotes written by hairstylist and savvy sleuth Marla Vail.

Marla Vail is a hairstylist who is known for exposing secrets. Marla lives in Florida with her detective husband along with his two daughters. She uses her abilities to pursue justice.

In
Missi Martin (Stockwell)
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing

If you are a fan of cozy mysteries you know that some of them discuss food and offer tasty recipes at the end and Nancy J. Cohen has taken that idea even further with her A Bad Hair Day Cookbook. This is a MUST HAVE for anyone who likes to read and cook !!!

Not only does her cookbook offer tantilizing recipes, in very neat and organized chapters but each recipe explains why she is sharing it and in between categorizes she gives the reader a look into some of her Bad Hair Day books. Cohen is the a
Lynn
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a new cookbook with a twist, this is definitely one you want to pick up! Simple, home cooking recipes along with snippets of stories from the beloved Cozy Mystery Series written by Nancy J.Cohen is sure to warm your hearts and your tummies. Everything from appetizers, soups, muffins to main courses there is something for everyone.
I couldn’t resist the Banana Bran Muffins, Corn Muffins and Mushroom Barley Soup recipes. Absolutely delicious! How about a Slow Cooker Mushroom
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-in-2019
There are so many delicious sounding recipes within the book that I can't wait to give them a go! From appetisers to soups, to entrees and desserts there is bound to be something for everyone in this collection. I loved how throughout the cook book we are greeted with excerpts from Nancy J. Cohen’s Bad Hair Day cozy mystery books, a series that I have not read but after reading the snippets really want to go can read them!

Overall this is a great cookbook with a good variety of recipes that any s
Sharon Bandhold
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOD! This book is soooo marvelous!

I would give this book a 10 if I could! Nancy J. Cohen has, again, outdone herself!! Not only is this book chock full of fantastic recipes, but her writing this from Marla's point of view is wonderful, & sooo funny! Ms. Cohen is, in every sense of the word, inventive, & this book is just riveting!!The recipes make my mouth water so much that I have to make some soon! What a fabulous addition to her body of work this book is!
Victoria
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am excited to get my hands on a copy of this cookbook. There is a variety of easy to make recipes, including beef, chicken, fish, and vegetarian entrees. Followed by a fun book excerpt that lists the recipes featured in Nancy J. Cohen's Cozy Mystery Series. I will definitely be starting with the dessert recipes. The Cranberry Bread sounds yummy! I am looking forward to trying all these great recipes. ...more
Clare
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute cookbook, there is plenty here that would appeal to most people I also enjoyed the excerpts from the books that are throughout and ties the recipes to the story or gives a little more information about how foods are made.

My favourite section is probably the soups there are some fab recipes here but I am also quite excited to try the chicken mac n cheese.
Lelia Taylor
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-reviews
I can’t think of a better time to bring out a new cookbook than a food-centric holiday season, can you? Ms. Cohen‘s timing really is good for me as my daughter and I are about to celebrate our first Thanksgiving in our new-ish home in St. Augustine. I’ve been rummaging through her (Marla’s) recipes and I’ve found way too many to try all at once but there are a few that will be gracing our table this Thursday:

Garlic Cheese Biscuits—like Marla, we’re big fans of a certain restaurant chain’s biscui
Ann
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's recipes are easy to make and the ingredients are always in my cupboards. The Lemon Bars are the family favorite. Nancy Cohen writes a cozy series (Bad Hair Day Mysteries) and these recipes are from that series. There are lots of fun facts and stories from the hair dresser, Marla Vail. This is a stand alone but I am now going to read every book in the series. Chapters are about what you would expect in a cookbook but the table of contents gives you each recipe for the chapt ...more
Sally
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
I enjoy cookbooks of all kinds and books with recipes in them, so I was eager to get a look at A Bad Hair Day Cookbook. Marla Vail is the star of author Nancy J. Cohen’s Bad Hair Day Mysteries. She’s down to earth, running a business as a hairstylist, providing a home for her husband Detective Dalton Vail and his teenage daughter, Brianna, and getting involved in crime solving on the side. The books have provided many hours of reading pleasure as well as several tasty recipes.

A Bad Hair Day Cook
Mason
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for delicious new recipes to try out, A Bad Hair Day Cookbook: Recipes from Nancy J. Cohen's Cozy Mystery Series is the perfect solution.

Don’t let the book’s title throw you off. This is a cookbook with a fun twist. Not only is it filled with scrumptious recipes, but it has helpful tips and fun stories from the author’s popular Bad Hair Day cozy mystery series.

The series’ hairstylist and savvy sleuth Marla Vail shares more than 160 recipes while including a little backstory on
Charlene
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a really wonderful cookbook! The recipes are easy to make and are delicious! I have tried a number of them for my family and they loved them all. I especially loved the "chicken cacciatore"! The recipes are wonderful if you don't have a lot of time or even if you do! You will be able to have more family time. I loved that there are excerpts of A Bad Hair Day Mystery books throughout this book. This is a fun cookbook to read through and each recipe will make your mouth water! I loved the ...more
Kathleen
Shelves: arc, 2019
Adored the Bad Hair Day cookbook laced with anecdotes, excerpts and tips on cooking. I feel there is so much more than just a cookbook in this production. The additions just made a standard cookbook pop. I plan on trying many of these recipes (well maybe not the lamb, not a favorite in my household) but I do really well at modifying. I also will be looking for an alternative to dill.

Other than that, I loved this book and plan on trying out the recipes. I have made a few recipes from the mystery
Judy Johnson
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing collection of recipes straight out of Nancy's books! I've actually tried a couple and they are GREAT. Occasionally, an ingredient substitution is necessary (only for personal preference), but most of the recipes are easy and good enough to tolerate a dash of change. A wonderful variety of recipes for all tastes and needs, desires and varieties accommodate the amount of time you have to prepare. Something for everyone! As the saying goes, "try it, you'll like it!" I received a ...more
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction-2019
Delicious and non-intimidating recipes for the whole family to enjoy. PLUS we get to read wonderful excerpts from some of my favorite cozy mysteries as well.
I always enjoy getting to know more about the characters in my favorite series. Here we are hearing from Marla Vail about the food and traditions and sometimes even what can go not quite perfectly.
I especially appreciated the menus for Themed meals and special events.

I use my oven more in cooler months and look forward to trying more of th
Cozy Mystery Corner : A Bad Hair Day Cookbook 1 11 Nov 19, 2019 01:25PM

• Wildflower Christmas (The Wildflower House #3)
  • Fire, Fog and Water: Mike Martin (Sgt. Windflower Mysteries Book 8)
  • The Event (The Creek Water Series, #1)
  • Dry Spell (A Mercy Watts Short #4)
  • Bodies & Buried Secrets: A Rosewood Place Mystery (Rosewood Place Mysteries Book 1)
  • Small Time Crime (Mercy Watts Mysteries #10)
  • New Orleans Nightmare (Roxy Reinhardt #2)
  • True to Me (By the Sea, #1)
  • Storm of Secrets (A Haunted Bluffs Mystery #2)
  • The Gothic Shift
  • Suspect in High Heels (High Heels Mysteries Book 10)
  • Payback's a Witch (Blackwood Bay Witches #5)
  • Horrid Henry's Haunted House
  • Flight of the Battered Budgie
  • Winnie's Alien Sleepover (Winnie the Witch)
  • Shaun the Sheep: The Beast of Soggy Moor
  • The Gift of the Marquess (Love is All Around #2)
  • Holiday Roast Mortem (Killer Coffee #7)
Nancy J. Cohen writes the Bad Hair Day Mysteries featuring South Florida hairstylist Marla Vail. Titles in this series have been named Best Cozy Mystery by Suspense Magazine, won a Readers' Favorite Gold Medal and a RONE Award, earned first place in the Chanticleer International Book Awards and third place in the Arizona Literary Awards. Nancy's instructional guide, "Writing the Cozy Mystery," was ...more