Start by marking “Impatient Optimist: Bill Gates in His Own Words” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Impatient Optimist: Bi...

Lisa Rogak

Impatient Optimist: Bill Gates in His Own Words

Ruthless billionaire or benevolent philanthropist? Whatever your take on him, Bill Gates is a force to be reckoned with in the world of business and in the realm of international philanthropy. Hailed by most as an ingenious visionary and considered by some to be an unscrupulous monopolist, Gates has had an indelible impact on the growth of digital technology. As founder an ...more
Published 2012 by BBNC uitgevers

To ask other readers questions about Impatient Optimist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impatient Optimist

Start your review of Impatient Optimist: Bill Gates in His Own Words
Ishmeet Singh
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book it is full of quotes (only quotes) of Bill Gates, written in order of his timeline . I found the concept of writing a biography with only quotes he said during those life events amusing and refreshing . It's not the book you're looking for if you want details and stuff. A nice and quick read if you love quotes.
Steve Wall
I bought it for Kobo without realizing that it is all quotes from Bill Gates. That said, I think it gives perhaps more insight into his personality than a regular biography would. It's an interesting read.
Shalini
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading this book, I was a bit disappointed only to find quotes by the famous American business magnate-turned author & philanthropist. However after persisting through first few pages, it became engaging as a wonderful compendium of Bill Gates' thoughts, quotes and visions on a broad spectrum of topics of global interests.

Some of the best nuggets of wisdom in "Impatient Optimist" :
1) I really had a lot of dreams when I was a kid, and I think a great deal of that grew out of the f
Azhar Qureshi
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I see reviews of this book and I think what most of them have missed is essence of this book.I see people criticizing that it's just bunch of his quotes.That doesn't justify the book.
Now let me tell you something,IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE THAT. It is not a work of fiction or someone's opinion or anything like that.It is simply compilation of what he said on different occasions in interviews.So,if you have picked up the book which means you are interested in his thoughts then it is DEFINITELY worth re
Manoj Kakran
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a perception and quote book about different topics; like computer and technology, company, employee, leadership, innovations, politics, education system, and so on.
shreya
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice compilation of his thoughts, word or quote to showcase his vision..
Lia Purnamasari
"Success is a lousy teacher.
It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose."

At least this book told me the way Bill Gates thinks.
veto
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good. We have won on seven categories. So what, move on; what about the eight. Here at Microsoft, we don't lose too much of our time resting on our laurels. We focus on the next goal after every success. ( Paraphrased in my own words)
Sreedev V
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a different book, not a typical biography type. Easy to read, as it is woven with numerous quotes which clearly mention Bill Gate's likes, dislikes and opinions on various topics. May feel like reading his own blog or journal.
Daniel Zaltsman
A series of milestones and Bill Gates quotes should not be called a book in my opinion, but what do I know. I did enjoy the quotes and highlighted a whole bunch for inspiration.
Ariel
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Expected biography and got a bunch of quotes... Maybe it was what it should be, but I’m deeply disappointed.
Yuvraj Khavad
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice Book.
Nikhil
Dec 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping to get insights on his thoughts, mind, rigour, wit, etc.

Quite disappointed as the book barely touches his life
hey beautiful mind
not too good
Dave M. Puhrmann
Nov 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-gave-up
Not what I was expecting, just a bunch of quotes from Bill Gates. Didn't finish.
Abhishek
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book online, and for the first time I experienced the drawback of not being able to "touch & feel" the product before buying it.
Here is what I expected: A book on not necessarily best business practices of Bill Gates, but at least as title suggested, a meaningful insight in his life.
Here is what I got: A collection of quotes, which was alphabetically arranged!! I mean, if all I wanted was his quotes, I would have used the internet! Why would I pay for a collection of quotes? Just
Ashok
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.

It's as if Lisa started off with her research to write a book on Bill Gates, google'd 'Bill Gates', scanned thru the results, and compiled notes of useful bits of what was reported... and then had a change of heart, abandoned the book idea, and just published the notes she collected as a book.

I am not sure if that is what really happened, but it does look like it. The 'book' is essentially just quotes from various media / other publications which quotes Bill Gates. There's a small intro piec
Meghdut Sengupta
Well, frankly speaking, I had a lot of expectations from this book. I thought it can show me the different sides of the genius and how his mind works. Instead, the book was far from meeting my expectations. It's filled with important and unimportant quotations done by him over the past decades. While some of his perspectives may touch you inside, I am sure you'll forget most of the text that's written through out the book. It's only some straightforward facts. I believe beauty is in the eye of t ...more
Sid
Dec 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bill Gates is a very interesting person, one of the most smartest people who has a great myriad of experience under his belt.

Having said that the means of using quotes as means to explain the individual are not justified. I prefer reading about his experiences which portrays the environment he was experiencing and his exact responses to things around him but the use of one liners said in a generalised theme or excerpts from speeches do not justify to give a full idea of the man and his views o
Juan
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this book. Some of the quotes are not really related to the concept they are supposed to present. Lot of BillG word were taken out of context. Sometimes the author is trying to influence the way she want us to see Bill Gates.
Even though that some quotes are good ones, but the overall: It is not a good book.
Gowtham
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
dont even think about opening this book unless until you are an ardent follower of Bill Gates..the book is jus a mere compilation of some of Gates's talks. The author jus gives us some irrelevant quotations which portray Gates in a different way. On the whole jus waste of 150 bucks :-(
P.S:this is my thought which may differ from others.
Harshakumar J
Was looking more than the quotes !!
Hali
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting, quick read! Perfect if you love quotes - he has some good ones!
Stan
Apr 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't realize it was a compilation of quotes. No substance! Have no interest in reading. Glad I didn't pay good money for this.
Avee
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to see inside the mind of a very successful person
Daniel
Apr 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You can google "Bill Gates quotes" and get pretty much the same as reading this... book?
Steve Sabula
Snippets of quotes

not a book but a collection of quotes, which is fine. a book would show How the quotes were developed from his experiences and fear of failure.
Spitzlvr
Apr 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
very disapponted. This is just a collection of his saying. No background, no text to flesh it out, to tell the story around the quote.
Austin
May 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a book of Bill Gates quotes. Some are interesting. I think I'd rather read an actual biography.
Word Owl
Jun 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing. Unoriginal. You can read my entire review here. ...more

• Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do?
  • I, Steve: Steve Jobs In His Own Words
  • Real Alchemy: A Primer of Practical Alchemy
  • The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)
  • Who Rules the World?
  • The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2)
  • Tao Te Ching
  • Perihal Gendis
  • Hanya Kamu yang Tahu Berapa Lama Lagi Aku Harus Menunggu
  • Gandari
  • The 25 Sales Habits of Highly Successful Salespeople
  • Kamu: Cerita yang Tidak Perlu Dipercaya
  • Powers of the Mind + Work and its Secret + Vivekananda: His Call to the Nation + Thoughts of Power
  • Pulang
  • Alibaba: The House That Jack Ma Built
  • One Piece Blue: Grand Data File (One Piece Data Book, #2)
  • Kumpulan Budak Setan
  • The Rich And How They Got That Way: How The Wealthiest People Of All Time From Genghis Khan To Bill Gates Made Their Fortunes
Lisa Rogak is the New York Times bestselling author of over 40 books on a wide variety of topics, from writers and their cats to sabbaticals to cemeteries in New England.
Through the years, in addition to writing books on an almost-schizophrenic range of topics, she has published newsletters and books, started a greeting card company for dogs and cats, bought and sold vintage funeral equipment, and

News & Interviews