Start by marking “Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)” as Want to Read:
Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)

Rest in Pieces

(Mrs. Murphy #2)

an alternate cover edition can be found here

Mrs. Murphy thinks the new man in town is the  cat's meow.... Maybe she should think again.  Small towns don't take kindly to strangers--unless  the stranger happens to be a drop-dead gorgeous and  seemingly unattached male. When Blair Bainbridge  comes to Crozet, Virginia, the local matchmakers  lose no time in declaring him per
Mass Market Paperback, 347 pages
Published July 1993 by Bantam Books (first published August 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Rest in Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rest in Pieces

Start your review of Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
Jessie
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked that this book's ending was a twist that I was not expecting. Some mystery books solve the mystery in the middle and then spend the rest of the book trying to hunt the bad guy/gal but it's nice to be kept in suspense until the very end.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Ugh.

Another reviewer spoke of "sophomore slump"; I call it "second novel syndrome." Many years ago, I read the first Mrs Murphy novel, and then the third, and enjoyed them both. My friend didn't have No. 2, so I was interested to see what came next when I ran across it. I almost wish I hadn't wasted the reading time. So why finish it? you ask. I dunno. Because it was there. Brown was obviously riding the wave the the popularity of the first novel, maybe this one was rushed to press or something
Christine (KizzieReads)
I really do love this series. The characters are great and the banter with the animals is quite amusing. Having cats, it's fun to see what they might be thinking at times. Didn't see the ending coming at all and I loved it!
Anika
Sep 16, 2020 rated it liked it
A little slow up until the very end, but definitely entertaining :)
Stef Rozitis
I thoroughly enjoyed this cozy mystery. It was in some ways just another provincial American town with murders and romance and fluffiness sort of a book that usually irritate me, and it had some of the flaws of that genre (being very middle-class and aspiring-rich oriented in terms of character and somewhat romantic-consumerist) but the animal factor actually added interest and piquancy.

Even though I did not find all of Mrs Murphy's antics entirely believable (she loves being raced around in a m
Rosa Cline
This is book 2 of this series however you DO NOT have to read these in order; but I feel you could understand everyone's relationships better if you at least read the first book in this series as it explains who every one is and who everyone is within the community. I had to skip book 2 and read book 3 and I was a little 'lost' to minor issues that wasn't a big deal in the story. Reading them in order you get to 'know' the characters little quirky things about them but it doesn't spoil the stori ...more
Paul Lunger
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From 1992, "Rest in Pieces" is one of the earliest books in this series & perhaps one of the best. When body parts start turning up at random in Crozet, Virginia a murderer must be on the loose especially with a local matchmaker is in town. The stories in this series always work best when both animal & human interaction & this book is a clear example where it works. There's also a plot involved this time with the matchmaker & the attempt to get Fair & Harry back together. It's a rare balance bet ...more
Ann
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quite a good one. Good plot and I love the characters! I've read several in the series and I really enjoy them although my hubby didn't like the fact that the animals talk to each other - I kind of enjoy that and it moves the plot along! I think they are really fun cozy mysteries and I will continue on til I finish the series. I also like her other books.
Katie Coren
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now that I know where the "cozy mystery" section is, I had a much easier time locating the second installment of Harry, Mrs. Murphy, and Tee Tucker's (mis)adventures in lovely Crozet. Or is it lovely when people keep turning up murdered?!? There's pretty much the same cast of characters as in the first book, with a couple of additions (gotta keep it fresh), and the characters you have already met, you get to learn more about. Standard. I enjoyed the second book as much or more than the first, th ...more
Randee
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-wom, mystery
As the 'owner' of 3 cats, I know they communicate quite well with me and each other, so I don't find the anthropomorphism in this series all that far fetched. I find the antics among Mrs. Murphy, Tucker and Pewter entertaining. But then, I have dreams where my pets sit at the dinner table talking and arguing with me. I shall continue to read this series which currently numbers 25 books one after another If I like a series, I read each one in chronological order and wish all the series I like wer ...more
Rebecca
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
When a dismembered body shows up scattered around the county, Cozart, Virginia, it sets the whole town on edge. Some want to take the easy way out and blame the new guy in town, Blair Bainbridge, but Harry thinks there is something else going on...or has her drop-dead gorgeous new neighbor turned her head? Harry, along with Mrs. Murphy, Tee Tucker, and the faint but pursuing Pewter are determined to find the truth...no matter what!
Chris
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Always enjoy these books more for the animals part than the human. Second book in series and the characters are coming along nicely.
Catherine
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rita Mae Brown keeps you on your toes. I love the connection Harry has with her pets. And the gross murders were hard to solve. It took me almost to the end to realize who the murderer was. I am hooked on this series.
Betty
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
The second book in this cozy mystery series. The animals are delight and their talks with each other highlight the series. Parts of a body are found in Foxton's cemetery by Mrs Murphy and Tucker. Shortly other body parts turn up around Crozet, the head in a pumpkin. Enjoy fantasy and mystery together for a light easy read.
Nicole
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm impressed! I didn't see the whodunnit coming at all on this one. Looking back, I can see hints, but I didn't catch them at the time. I really enjoy the animals in this series a lot. I'll be back for them (and, truth be told, the human interactions, too). Ms. Brown writes fun stories.
Cara
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rest in Pieces is the second book in Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy Mystery series - but while Rita Mae has her name listed as the author, it's really her cat, Sneaky Pie Brown, who writes them!

Mary Minor (Harry) Haristeen can't help being in the center of the Crozet, Virginia gossip circle, being that she's the town's postmistress, and news always travels in her direction one way or another. Always at Harry's side are her faithful pet children, a feisty gray tiger cat named Mrs. Murphy, and Tee T
LibraryCin

“Harry”, the town’s (female) postmistress and a farmer, has a dog, Tucker, and a cat, Mrs. Murphy. The pets talk to each other and other animals in this series (and help solve mysteries). In this one, shortly after an attractive man buys the neighbouring farm to Harry’s, a (non-local) man is found, murdered and in pieces.

It took a long time for this one to get going for me, I wasn’t really interested until about 1/3 of the way in (or maybe a bit further). There was a lot of descriptio
Taylor Troncin
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was pretty excited to read the second book in this series. I had found a lot of the mass market paperbacks at Half Price Books and am happy to report that it was money well spent (ignore what my husband mutters!). The only thing that felt off in this one was a couple of f-bombs. They didn’t feel natural and they sort of threw off the whole time at times. Granted there were probably only three or four, but they felt out of place. I was going to recommend this series to my mom, but she can be a ...more
Aprilleigh
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first book, in my opinion. The title refers to the first murder, which is discovered in pieces in a family graveyard. Mrs. Murphy, Tucker, and Pewter do their best to help the humans figure it out, although they themselves don't figure it out either until the murderer reveals themselves. They do, however, help move the investigation along with the help of an opossum and a few hounds, and, with additional help from a snake, an owl, and a pair of horses, manage to help the hum ...more
Shannon
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a fun read! I loved Blair and Simon's additions to the cast of characters, and I hope to read more of them in the later books. I also liked how there were some links to the previous book as we see what becomes of Little Marilyn's wedding and marriage that was set up in Book 1. Mostly, though, I love how Brown captures these beautiful moments of reflection as the characters think about what the murder(s) mean to them as a person and to their society. There are so many mystery series in which ...more
Karen
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was both quite good and quite bad.

First the good: The characters were quirky enough to be interesting, but not so quirky that they turned into cartoon. The writing was solid, the pacing was good, and the mystery was intriguing. As a stand-alone book, this book would have been fine.

Then the bad: This book follows almost exactly the plot of Book 1, from the creepy, anonymous postcards, to Little Marilyn's bad choice for a life-mate. The plot was so close, I forgot which book I was readi
Morgan Thomas
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
I enjoyed this book so much that I stayed up most of the night to finish it. I just discovered the series about a month ago and was hooked after the first book. I enjoy reading about Crozet and each of the characters. This one kept me on my toes. I could not figure out who did it until the last twenty pages or so, and then there was a surprise twist that I did not see coming. I look forward to reading my way through the series.
Anne
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first picked up this book and saw it was co-written by a cat, I was pretty skeptical. Then, when I found the animals talked, I thought "This is lame." Then when the animals swore and called each other names, I thought "This might be good." It turned out to be a pretty good mystery, indicated by the fact I didn't want to put it down. I did have it figured out about 7 chapters before the end, but it was still enjoyable.
Andrea Chatman
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite Cozy Mystery series. And this my favorite book. I love the interaction between the animals and the people - with the animals more often solving the mystery and saving the day first.

It is nearing Halloween in the sleepy town of Crozet, and terrible packages are turning in unlikely spots all over town. Can Harry and her furry friends find the killer in time? Or will Harry fall victim to the killers deadly blade?
Sho
More murders and the characters are getting more fleshed out. I was just wondering why the cats and dogs, possums and owls could understand each other but the horses don't... when the horses sort of did.

A lot more in this about feminism and women's roles in marriages and society, but I'm still not entirely sure why so many of my friends rave about Rita Mae Brown.

But this was fun to read so I'll definitely try another as a bedtime book.
Prescott
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Listened to this one a few weeks ago,

I thought the story in the first book was better. The writing in this book was better.

The animals seemed to act more like animals in this one, but still didn't seem ridiculous. If that makes sense.

23 more to go. I figure I will listen to them all. It's just a matter of time.
Webajeb
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This was cute. But, since I am not a fan of mysteries (and don't pay enough attention to the details to solve them) I probably won't read anymore of this series. It's kinda fun to "hear" the animals "talk" to each other, but I also can't quite suspend my disbelief that all animals and birds would be able to communicate that well with each other.
Rachel “Koala”
A great read

I enjoyed this second installment of the Mrs Murphy mysteries. There were times I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the banter between the animals. The human characters are also very charming and the plot is amazing and riveting. I'm looking forward to reading the next book.
Kim Bardon
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Praise for Rita Mae as she delivers yet another great mystery genius with the help of her side kick Mrs. Murphy and not forgetting Tee Tucker!
Interesting to hear Mrs. Murphy mystery was made into a Disney movie. Hoping to get a hold of that one day too. Off to read the next exciting story of Sneeky Pie Brown. 😼
Cathi Cantrell
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read even though it was a bit confusing at first with the multitude of characters, both human and animal! Before too long though I was hooked and caught up in the tale! Perhaps I needed to read Mrs. Murphy #1 first!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Play Book Tag: Rest in Pieces / Rita Mae Brown. 3.25 stars 6 12 Jun 15, 2017 07:40PM

• The Ghost and Mrs. Mewer (Paws and Claws Mystery, #2)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Summer King (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #20)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Mummy Dearest (Claire Malloy, #17)
  • Twenty Blue Devils (Gideon Oliver, #9)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Not a Creature Was Purring (Paws and Claws Mystery, #5)
  • Framed in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #2)
  • Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat Who Lived High (Cat Who... #11)
  • Coconut Layer Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #25)
  • Mission Impawsible (Paws and Claws Mystery, #4)
  • Feral Attraction (A Cat Groomer Mystery Book 3)
  • James the Connoisseur Cat: A Novel
  • Murder Most Howl (Paws and Claws Mystery, #3)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)
  • The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy, #11)

News & Interviews

“small log cabin once stood near the creek, but as the Jones family’s fortunes” 1 likes
“Spending is worse than pain, she thought; it lasts longer.” 0 likes