Start by marking “Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)” as Want to Read:
Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)

Rest in Pieces

(Mrs. Murphy #2)

Mrs. Murphy thinks the new man in town is the  cat's meow.... Maybe she should think again.  Small towns don't take kindly to strangers--unless  the stranger happens to be a drop-dead gorgeous and  seemingly unattached male. When Blair Bainbridge  comes to Crozet, Virginia, the local matchmakers  lose no time in declaring him perfect for their  newly divorced postmistress, ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 347 pages
Published July 1993 by Bantam Books (first published August 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Rest in Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rest in Pieces

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Ugh.

Another reviewer spoke of "sophomore slump"; I call it "second novel syndrome." Many years ago, I read the first Mrs Murphy novel, and then the third, and enjoyed them both. My friend didn't have No. 2, so I was interested to see what came next when I ran across it. I almost wish I hadn't wasted the reading time. So why finish it? you ask. I dunno. Because it was there. Brown was obviously riding the wave the the popularity of the first novel, maybe this one was rushed to press or something
Jessie
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked that this book's ending was a twist that I was not expecting. Some mystery books solve the mystery in the middle and then spend the rest of the book trying to hunt the bad guy/gal but it's nice to be kept in suspense until the very end.
Christine (KizzieReads)
I really do love this series. The characters are great and the banter with the animals is quite amusing. Having cats, it's fun to see what they might be thinking at times. Didn't see the ending coming at all and I loved it!
Molly Cline
This is book 2 of this series however you DO NOT have to read these in order; but I feel you could understand everyone's relationships better if you at least read the first book in this series as it explains who every one is and who everyone is within the community. I had to skip book 2 and read book 3 and I was a little 'lost' to minor issues that wasn't a big deal in the story. Reading them in order you get to 'know' the characters little quirky things about them but it doesn't spoil the stori ...more
Paul Lunger
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From 1992, "Rest in Pieces" is one of the earliest books in this series & perhaps one of the best. When body parts start turning up at random in Crozet, Virginia a murderer must be on the loose especially with a local matchmaker is in town. The stories in this series always work best when both animal & human interaction & this book is a clear example where it works. There's also a plot involved this time with the matchmaker & the attempt to get Fair & Harry back together. It' ...more
Ann
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quite a good one. Good plot and I love the characters! I've read several in the series and I really enjoy them although my hubby didn't like the fact that the animals talk to each other - I kind of enjoy that and it moves the plot along! I think they are really fun cozy mysteries and I will continue on til I finish the series. I also like her other books.
Katie Coren
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now that I know where the "cozy mystery" section is, I had a much easier time locating the second installment of Harry, Mrs. Murphy, and Tee Tucker's (mis)adventures in lovely Crozet. Or is it lovely when people keep turning up murdered?!? There's pretty much the same cast of characters as in the first book, with a couple of additions (gotta keep it fresh), and the characters you have already met, you get to learn more about. Standard. I enjoyed the second book as much or more than the first, th ...more
Randee
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2017-wom
As the 'owner' of 3 cats, I know they communicate quite well with me and each other, so I don't find the anthropomorphism in this series all that far fetched. I find the antics among Mrs. Murphy, Tucker and Pewter entertaining. But then, I have dreams where my pets sit at the dinner table talking and arguing with me. I shall continue to read this series which currently numbers 25 books one after another If I like a series, I read each one in chronological order and wish all the series I like wer ...more
Chris
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Always enjoy these books more for the animals part than the human. Second book in series and the characters are coming along nicely.
Catherine
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rita Mae Brown keeps you on your toes. I love the connection Harry has with her pets. And the gross murders were hard to solve. It took me almost to the end to realize who the murderer was. I am hooked on this series.
Stef Rozitis
I thoroughly enjoyed this cozy mystery. It was in some ways just another provincial American town with murders and romance and fluffiness sort of a book that usually irritate me, and it had some of the flaws of that genre (being very middle-class and aspiring-rich oriented in terms of character and somewhat romantic-consumerist) but the animal factor actually added interest and piquancy.

Even though I did not find all of Mrs Murphy's antics entirely believable (she loves being raced around in a m
Nicole
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm impressed! I didn't see the whodunnit coming at all on this one. Looking back, I can see hints, but I didn't catch them at the time. I really enjoy the animals in this series a lot. I'll be back for them (and, truth be told, the human interactions, too). Ms. Brown writes fun stories.
ReiShimura
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Der Herbst hält Einzug im beschaulichen Crozet und mit ihm auch ein neuer Nachbar: der Schauspieler und Model Blair Bainbridge. Die Damen von Crozet sind verzückt, denn nicht nur, dass Blair ziemlich gutaussehend ist, er scheint auch noch dazu ziemlich freundlich zu sein.
Nichts scheint den Frieden zu stören, bis Corgi Hündin Tucker und ihre beste Freundin die Tigerkatze Mrs. Murphy eine abgetrennte menschliche Hand finden. Und plötzlich ist nichts mehr so wie es einmal war…
Bei „Ruhe in Fetzen“
LibraryCin

“Harry”, the town’s (female) postmistress and a farmer, has a dog, Tucker, and a cat, Mrs. Murphy. The pets talk to each other and other animals in this series (and help solve mysteries). In this one, shortly after an attractive man buys the neighbouring farm to Harry’s, a (non-local) man is found, murdered and in pieces.

It took a long time for this one to get going for me, I wasn’t really interested until about 1/3 of the way in (or maybe a bit further). There was a lot of descriptio
Taylor Troncin
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was pretty excited to read the second book in this series. I had found a lot of the mass market paperbacks at Half Price Books and am happy to report that it was money well spent (ignore what my husband mutters!). The only thing that felt off in this one was a couple of f-bombs. They didn’t feel natural and they sort of threw off the whole time at times. Granted there were probably only three or four, but they felt out of place. I was going to recommend this series to my mom, but she can be a ...more
Aprilleigh
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first book, in my opinion. The title refers to the first murder, which is discovered in pieces in a family graveyard. Mrs. Murphy, Tucker, and Pewter do their best to help the humans figure it out, although they themselves don't figure it out either until the murderer reveals themselves. They do, however, help move the investigation along with the help of an opossum and a few hounds, and, with additional help from a snake, an owl, and a pair of horses, manage to help the hum ...more
Khezu Khez
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
The animals are lovely, the plot is decent.

It is also the most stressful cozy book, oppressive from beginning to the end, as consider every single human characters are superficial, vapid, narcissistic, judgemental, and incredibly fake. Especially the protagonist, the book would be 40 pages long if it's not for all her internal monologues of putting down anyone who dare to deviate to the only perfection, Mary Minor Maristeen the Ideal Human. Also she kept on feeding cats, dogs, and possums choco
Karen
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was both quite good and quite bad.

First the good: The characters were quirky enough to be interesting, but not so quirky that they turned into cartoon. The writing was solid, the pacing was good, and the mystery was intriguing. As a stand-alone book, this book would have been fine.

Then the bad: This book follows almost exactly the plot of Book 1, from the creepy, anonymous postcards, to Little Marilyn's bad choice for a life-mate. The plot was so close, I forgot which book I was readi
Morgan Thomas
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
I enjoyed this book so much that I stayed up most of the night to finish it. I just discovered the series about a month ago and was hooked after the first book. I enjoy reading about Crozet and each of the characters. This one kept me on my toes. I could not figure out who did it until the last twenty pages or so, and then there was a surprise twist that I did not see coming. I look forward to reading my way through the series.
Prescott
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Listened to this one a few weeks ago,

I thought the story in the first book was better. The writing in this book was better.

The animals seemed to act more like animals in this one, but still didn't seem ridiculous. If that makes sense.

23 more to go. I figure I will listen to them all. It's just a matter of time.
Carol Layton
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
These books are fun to read if you don't mind stretching your beliefs a bit to include crime solving animals. I read this series some years ago, and Brown is going to get better in character development, but they are still a nice way to kill an afternoon when it is too cold to go outside!
Karen
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
As far as they mystery goes, the murderer had to be one of two people. So, not much suspense there. But the story was a lot of fun. I wish the whole book was told from Mrs.Murphy's point of view, she is so funny.
Cassandra
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rest in Pieces was very interesting from start to finish. The mystery was good and the way the characters all interacted with one another was well done. The ending is great, it was unexpected and still felt fresh and new. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
Cathi Cantrell
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read even though it was a bit confusing at first with the multitude of characters, both human and animal! Before too long though I was hooked and caught up in the tale! Perhaps I needed to read Mrs. Murphy #1 first!
Lynn Anne
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun book and series. I wish we could use fractions in our ratings because it would be a 3.5 at least.
Tara
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun mystery. The animals in it are hilarious. Some unnecessary swearing though.
Marbeth Anne
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I especially liked the animals antics! Some truly funny things they did made me laugh out loud! I also liked this story better than the 1st 1 in the series!
Diane
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Hard getting used to all the animals but eventually it jelled into an ok read.
Karen Newby
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Could not put it down!!! Wonderfully written characters!!
Ashley
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
Better than the first one I think!
Play Book Tag: Rest in Pieces / Rita Mae Brown. 3.25 stars 6 11 Jun 15, 2017 07:40PM
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)
  • The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy, #11)
“small log cabin once stood near the creek, but as the Jones family’s fortunes” 1 likes
“Spending is worse than pain, she thought; it lasts longer.” 0 likes