Start by marking “The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane” as Want to Read:
The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane

The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane

Maybelle Lane is looking for her father, but on the road to Nashville she finds so much more: courage, brains, heart--and true friends.

Eleven-year-old Maybelle Lane collects sounds. She records the Louisiana crickets chirping, Momma strumming her guitar, their broken trailer door squeaking. But the crown jewel of her collection is a sound she didn't collect herself: an o
Published March 3rd 2020 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

Start your review of The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Wow, did not expect to sob at my desk today but HERE WE ARE
Christy

This was so good. It was a sweet, heart-wrenching and heartwarming tale following the summer adventure of eleven year old Maybelle Lane.

Maybelle has been raised by a single mother but is on a mission to find/meet her father. When she gets the opportunity of a life time to sing at a contest in Nashville, she doesn’t think there is a way to make it happen. She lives in a trailer park in Louisiana and Nashville is a whiles away.

It just so happens that her neighbor, Mrs. Boggs is going t
Gavin
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was so heartwarming and exactly the book I needed to read right now.

Maybelle Lane has always wanted to know her father, but she has no idea who he really is. One day, she hears his voice on the radio, and it turns out he's a Radio DJ in Nashville. Not only that, but there is going to be a singing contest that he's a judge for. It doesn't take much for Mrs. Boggs, a teacher, and Tommy, a local troublemaker, to join Maybelle on a road trip to Nashville that is littered with surprises.

From the
Shaye Miller
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an audiobook "read" this week that was a last-minute impulse-grab. It was beautifully narrated by Catherine Taber and, at only 6 1/2 hours, it's a very quick listen. Maybelle was raised as an only child in a single-parent home. She's fascinated with recording special sounds and she collects/records them on special occasions, sorta like keeping a diary. Her mom is a singer-songwriter and has always been a bit secretive about Maybelle's father. Maybelle never met him, but she knows his vo ...more
Lane
I have had a lot of trouble with middle grade lately. I was starting to wonder that maybe I was just getting too old, and the books really weren't for me anymore (which is totally fine because they SHOULDN'T be for me!) But then I read this book and I thought FINALLY. The LONELY HEART OF MAYBELLE LANE is so emotionally intelligent. Maybelle is 12 if I remember correctly, but this book doesn't take her age for granted and really seems to respect the deeply emotional and mature issues that young c ...more
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Middle-grade readers
Great story about a young girl, who, in pursuing her dreams of finding her long-absent father, finds some surprises and new friends along the way. Good theme about having courage to do the right thing, even if it’s scary to do so.

Memorable Quotes:
(Pg.68)-“The thing about keeping everything on the inside is that it builds and builds and builds, and you can never be too sure when it will all come pouring out. Or to who.”
Kristin Lambert
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautifully written book, both heartwarming and heartbreaking. All the characters are so whole and real, and I wish I could just hug them all! This book made me cry more than once, sometimes just from sheer pride in these courageous young characters. I highly recommend this book for humans of any age, but especially young readers who struggle with anxiety and/or overcoming fears, like Maybelle does.
Shawn
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybelle Lane is 11 years old and has never laid eyes on her daddy. The only tidbit of info that she has on him is a short snip of a voice mail where he is laughing. And one day she hears that laugh - on the radio. He's a radio show host in Nashville which just so happens to be hosting a singing contest - and it also just so happens that Maybelle can sing. She sets in motion a plan to enter the contest. There are just a few problems:

1) She lives in Davenport, LA
2) Her mother is leaving for a 3 w
Brian Weisfeld
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book. The literal and figurative journey of Maybelle had me hooked from the start. Maybelle overcomes a tremendous amount in her life to face her fears and open her heart. Highly recommend this one and can't wait for more books from Kate.
Sandym24
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the sweetest story with the most lovable characters and the writing is charming as well. I loved every page .
clara
overall nice idea, but i have some problems with this one 😬
Kirsten
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
An impressive debut novel. Well developed characters, compelling, funny story. Well, kinda funny, kinda sad. If I were in 5th grade, I’d say it was sad/happy/sad/really sad/happy/happy/sad then happy.
Steph
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Collecting sounds. Road tripping with an unconventional group of friends. A dog with wheels. Loss, fear, hope, and bravery.

This is what middle grade fiction is all about.
Kassie
Jul 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved the first chapter! The whole thing is basically beautifully written. It's really predictable and leans to the left, but otherwise a good read!
Chris Hall
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has one of the most basic stories of all time (kid who's never met a parent goes in search of them) but it just goes to show it's the specificity of character and detail that really matter. Kate O'Shaughnessy never lets you doubt even for a moment that she doesn't know this world, and the people who live in it, inside and out. The story and content are completely appropriate for children but the quality of writing makes it worth reading for any age group.
Dana
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a cute middle grade story about a little girl trying to meet her father. The writing reminded me of the The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. In that story a young girl can feel emotions while eating food, in this story Maybelle has a similar connection to sounds. There is no magical element but the communication of the emotions and connections Maybelle feels are so much deeper than those around her.

The story follows her journey to find her father with a ragtag bunch of acquaintances whi
Ashley Woodard
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Trying to familiarize myself with more middle grade. This one was an alright read, got through it pretty quick even though it wasn't really my cup of tea.
Jillian Anderson
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book of the summer! Wow! Beautiful writing. I found myself rereading so many passages. I can’t wait to recommend this book to everyone I know😊.

Vicki
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t emphasize how much I loved this book! I loved Maybelle (May), her friend Tommy, teacher Mrs. Boggs (Alice), and May’s mom Gemma! They were all interesting characters and I connected with each of them at some point in the book. I fell in love with poor Pickles, the badly mistreated, disabled dog that they ended up stealing so that he could be loved and taken care of the way he should be.

I loved that May recorded sounds! I take a lot of photos but think collecting sounds is a great way to
Lucy
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane because the main character-Maybelle-had a fun side of her life, but she also has a sad and emotional side to her life. I found it weirdly similar to Clean Getaway by Nic Stone.
Ms. Yingling
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Maybelle and her mother struggle a little to make ends meet but are generally happy. All Maybelle has of her father is the memory of a voice mail on an old phone, but his laughter has stuck with her. When her mother gets a job on a cruise ship for a month making a great salary, the two know she needs to go, but this means that a neighbor at the trailer park (and teacher at Maybelle's school), Ms. Boggs, has to watch her. Ms. Boggs is very drab and set in her ways;
Megan Schmelzer
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfection!

The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane was just perfection.

From the moment I picked up this novel, I was entranced. It was heartfelt, it was meaningful, and the characters were ones that you root for.

The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane is told from the perspective of eleven-year-old Maybelle. Maybelle and her mother are living in a run-down trailer. Life has had its challenges for them lately. Maybelle's mother is working two jobs and doing everything she can to keep them afloat, and Maybel
Susan
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author for a free review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

First of all, let’s talk about the cover. Isn’t it gorgeous?! It offers a small peek into Maybelle’s story and gently calls to you to step into her life. When you do, you’ll find your heart breaking a bit time and time again, but you’ll also find yourself cheering for every character as each one searches for the courage to face their fears and follow their dreams.

Next, let’s talk about the characters. I loved e
Kathie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author and publisher for sending an ARC to #bookportage for review.

I was immediately drawn in to THE LONELY HEART OF MAYBELLE LANE by the first few sentences: "Most people don't think fate has a sound. But it does. Everything has a sound if you listen carefully enough." Maybelle collects sounds, and keeps recordings of the everyday ones that often go unnoticed by other people. She's never met her father, but she knows his voice from an old voicemail that her mom had on her phone
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane by Kate O’Shaughnessy, 282 pages. Alfred A. Knopf (Penguin Random), 2020. $17.

Content: Language: PG (1 swears); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS – ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Eleven-year old Maybelle is left on her own quite often as her mother works two jobs, and during that time Maybelle dreams of meeting her father. Maybelle hears her father’s voice as a DJ on a radio station and decides to enter in a singing contest in Nashvill
This is a journey book, and I normally hate journey books. Except in this case, the journey made sense, and wasn't the whole purpose. It was a journey of the spirit as well as a physical journey.

Which makes it all sound maudlin, and it isn't, not in the least.

Maybelle has heard her father's voice on the radio, a father she didn't know, and she wonders what he would think if they ever met. So she enters a singing contest in a state two states away.

There is of course, one small problem. How the he
Christy
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this sweet middle grade about a young lady who goes on a journey to finds her heart and ends up doing it in the most unexpected ways.

Plus, there’s a dog and bi rep. Yes indeed.
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read an ARC--what a beautiful middle grade book with a tenacious, lovable protagonist. I loved seeing May's journey, both literal and figurative. Secondary characters like Tommy and Mrs. Boggs were vivid and lovable as well.

THE LONELY HEART OF MAYBELLE LANE has a lot of great descriptions of music, road trips, and the experience of anxiety disorder. There's even a cute dog! But ultimately it's a wonderful tale about discovering yourself. The book manages to be profound while never talking down
Terri M.
I enjoyed Maybelle's journey to find her courage and discover her place in her new town. The story didn't ended up quite the way I anticipated. I love the fact that not everything ended the way Maybelle wanted to and she had to cope with disappointment. It made the story feel more real to me.

I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Jen Petro-Roy
Just lovely.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: My book is *not* a series but it's listed as one 3 22 Sep 24, 2019 10:58AM

• When You Trap a Tiger
  • Quintessence
  • Coo
  • Prairie Lotus
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • Get a Grip, Vivy Cohen!
  • Turtle Boy