Start by marking “Every Step (Music, Love and Other Miseries, #3)” as Want to Read:
Every Step (Music, Love and Other Miseries, #3)

Every Step

(Music, Love and Other Miseries #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  37 ratings  ·  30 reviews
An annoyingly irresistible cop and a dare that could ruin her life... Love is a complication Kat will avoid at any cost.

Sharp-shooting cop Katerina Hellman needs a fresh start. Leaving behind a failed marriage, she ditches the city and bunks with her sister in the tiny town of Graywood. When the local police chief offers her a position as the temporary firearms instructor,
Kindle Edition, 1st, 270 pages
Published May 12th 2020 by Totally Bound Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Every Step, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Step

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Every Step (Music, Love and Other Miseries, #3)
Bookadmirer
May 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: free-arc
Trusting anyone is always a risk. That’s the beauty of relationships. Without taking a chance on someone, you’ll never know what you might have found at the end of the rainbow.”

This is a story of Kat and Roman. Kat is such a strong character. What I most liked about this book that Kat took the time to get involved with Roman. She tried to understand him first. Roman is funny, his devotion to Kat was remarkable.

Both protagonists are tough cops. They are trying to understand each other. However, t
Dianne
Kat lost it after her divorce. Ordered to take time off from her law enforcement job, she heads to her sister’s and falls into a temporary job with the local police. As a sharp-shooter, she seems a perfect fit to train his officers until Roman walks onto the range. As they say, “Let the games begin!”

Both are equally tough. Both have mad shooting skills. Both are as headstrong and competitive as can be, and both find an attraction that makes for a fun and entertaining read!

C.J. Burright’s EVERY S
Carola
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Totally Bound Publishing and NetGalley for providing me an e-arc in exchange for an honest review. My review is my own and not influenced by others.
Every step is the third book of the Music, Love and Other Miseries series by C.J. Burright but you can read it as a standalone. It’s the first book I’ve read by this series but after reading this book I intent to read the other books as well.

This book has everything I look for in a romance. The main characters are great and I fell in love w
Gwessie Tee
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic read, loved this feisty couple , and their journey to their HEA.
Samantha Glass
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I have been waiting and hoping for Kat and Roman’s story, and it’s an amazing one! Two tough cops, each learning to be vulnerable, find their way through some adventures ripped from current events and test the relationship waters along the way. So much good here! Just grab it and settle in for the ride.
Helena#bookdreamer
Thank you netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Another love fest from this author who writes books where seemingly alpha males go gaga for their women who often push them away. While I did find Roman charming and funny, i did feel he was a bit too intense with his unrelenting devotion to Kat. A bit too desperato for my taste.
Overall, a sweet love story worth reading.
Wendy
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feel-good
The blurb of this book made me curious. So although I hadn't read anything of C.J. Burright, not even the other books of this series of Music, Love and Other Miseries, I dove right in. And this was definitely a slow burn story, because Kat and Roman really hate each other. Kat wants to have nothing to do with men, after her cheating and lying ex-husband embarrassed her by calling her the ice queen to all of their colleagues.
So, when she punched him in the face, she got an extended leave for har
Sharon Grow
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Katerina Hellman is known for her strength, badass attitude and her ability with firearms. She taught firearms at the police academy, attended sniper school and is now employed as the temporary firearms instructor in Graywood. Officer Roman Farkos is a senior officer in Graywood and is struck by her beauty and demeanor when she arrives in town, she intrigues him. Katerina is recovering from her impending divorce and tries to avoid him, but he slowly seduces her with his words. The entertaining d ...more
Jeanne
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Katerina Hellman is ready for a change. After she leaves behind her cheating husband and is forced to take a leave of absence she decides rooming with her sister in Graywood is as good a place as any. Bonus when the local police chief offers her a position as the temporary firearms instructor, sign her up! She's only focused on getting through the six weeks and proving she is still capable of doing her job.

Roman Farkos has his sights on Katerina. He had been mesmerized by her after meeting unde
Krystin
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My mind is completely blown with C.J. once again. Roman has always fascinated me from his very first appearance in the series so getting to delve into his character in this installment was amazing. This book had my heart pounding so hard towards the end and I'm extremely saddened that there wasn't even more. I'm hoping there's another book that might explore more of Kat's life in her newfound place. I got choked up on several occasions, especially as I got closer to the end. I'm unbelievably inv ...more
Amy Vida
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of Every Step in exchange for an honest review. This was a love hate book for me. I loved Katerina. She was full of snark and attitude and "nailed" her role. Roman was also a great addition. He dished it right back at Katerina, and he never gave up on her. I enjoyed the sidebar addressing human trafficking and Valerie was a great secondary character adding depth to the plot.

Even with these great characters, I found some of the themes were repetitive, and the plot kept stal
Karen Roma
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Every Step is the third story in C.J. Bright’s Music, Love and Other Miseries series and I was thrilled to see Kat and Roman finally get their story. How do two determined, focused and tough police officers, learn to let down their guard, show emotion and vulnerability as they navigate the rocky road each relationship much travel to find true happiness at the end? The author did a fabulous job of depicting their journey and the angst and drama that was part and parcel of their tale. A wonderful ...more
Zsa
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From the beginning of this series dedicated cop Roman has been a supportive and good friend. I have been looking forward to him getting his own story, delving into his backstory. Katerina is tough as nails cop, sharpshooter, fiercely protective sister and newly divorced woman. She hides the many facets of her personality behind a prickly facade, that Roman is determined to breach. He has been intrigued by the beautiful, intelligent determined woman, ands sets forth a campaign to woo Katerina. A ...more
B.
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Katerina is a different sort of heroine for romance novels. She’s a police officer who is a crack sharpshooter. And now she has had to take a leave from her job after she punched her husband, another policeman, when she found out he was cheating on her. She’s come to a small town where her sister lives and is tasked with giving shooting lessons to members of their police department including the sexy and charming Roman Farkos. Roman is a delight. He clearly has fallen deeply in love with Katerin ...more
Linda Walters
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I have to admit to mixed feelings on this one. That makes it hard for me to decide how many stars to give it on reviews. So I ended up liking it but with some reservations. On the plus side was that Katerina (Kat) and Roman who were both interesting people. And they each had their own emotional challenges in their lives. I did get a big kick out of how Roman loved how challenging Kat was. Instead of being turned off by her unique personality, he embraced it. It took her a while to realize he saw ...more
Bookshelf Rebel
May 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Every Step is the third installment in the Music, Love and other Miseries series. However it can be read as a standalone. Which is what I did.

The story is about Kat, who after her divorce is not doing so well. So she decides to stay with her sister for a while in the small town of Graywood and temporarily work for their police department as a firearms instructor.
In comes Rowan her new collegue, who is all to eager to try and convince Kat that despite her trust issues sometimes its worth it to
RateTheRomance
I've read the other books in this series and I have to say this one fell a bit short. I would struggle to call it a "stand alone" because the previous book is mentioned often without a lot of clarification or a summary. I read the previous book and even still I was having a hard time following the references. This storyline would only be seamless if you read this series back to back.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
While there is a lot of good in this book there are also some gaps in the story. There is a police case
Christine Galletly
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

I thought that this was a really good story, having read the previous three books in the series I was really keen to get started on this one!

It was fast paced and it was an easy read that had a great natural flow to it. I thought that the characters were well developed and I liked getting to know them as the book developed, the only downside was I felt that there was a little too much detail at times for me but it was still a great read.

There was a good mi
Barbara Ray
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kat is assigned to be a shooting range instructor for six weeks for the police department after punching her cheating husband and receiving divorce papers. Roman, one of the policemen, is infatuated with her and determine to spend time together. He enlists her help with an after-school program mentoring troubled teens. Roman devises physical challenges for Kat, knowing her competitive nature. The challenges make the story interesting and the troubled teens add excitement. As Kat spends time with ...more
Rona Nimmo
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every Step by C.J. Burright

Kat is the new fire arms instructor and Roman is her first student police officer there for a refresher course and he beats her. The love hate relationship begins. Having just had a nasty divorce from a nasty lying cheating husband who takes everything & happens to be a colleague.
Roman challenges her to a contest of skills & wit. Which she can’t resist.

Having not read any of books in the series this didn’t matter. Well written that just slowly drags you in until your
Destiny Bridwell
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I was not completely sure about this book. I had read the rest of the series which each have their own story. Kat comes to live with her sister and get something straight in her head. That is how she means Roman. He loves to just push her buttons. That is when he challenges her to a contest. They both have their issues and have to overcome them to get to where they want to end up.
Barrie Gardner
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Another slow burn romance. I liked Roman; he wore his heart on his sleeve and didn’t shy away from his feelings for Kat. Kat, however, was so frustrating. She had issues with everyone—her mom, her sister, her ex, her former co-workers. I wanted to throttle her many times in this book. As with the previous book in this series, the sex scene was fade to black and the MCs had a couple hot kisses. I loved Roman’s fangs. Another author could have done much more with that little detail. Sigh...
R.K. Emery
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Real and Vivid. I liked the way that C.J. Burright wove her tale.

Characterization was huge in this novel. The characters were all very well developed and had their own motivations and faults. It made them seem more real to me as the reader.

I also really liked the flow of this novel. It felt very smooth.

A great addition to the series, I've read the others and am loving each of them in their own way!
Tracie R
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgally
I enjoyed the third book (fourth installment) to Music, Love and Other Miseries and C.J. Burright has quickly become a writer I get excited to read. Intriguing characters and a well-paced, engaging story made this a thoroughly enjoyable read and I will definitely recommend and read more by this author.
Danielle
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it
3 stars
I loved Roman. He was such a fun and upbeat guy. And then there is Kat, his polar opposite. She is jaded and kind of miserable. Kate is in Graywood after her divorce and to be closer to her sister (who was a far more lovable character!!).
I enjoyed this series so far. Every book is different !
Gina Stamper
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
What a wonderful book – perfect for a day of leisure at home.
The author paints a beautiful picture of the characters and their love for the reader.
A great, fast paced summer read. Intriguing storyline, unique mix of characters, and plenty of descriptive and insightful real world references. You will fall in love with this story.
Meaghan
Jan 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Usually romances that feature someone who very recently broke up or divorced someone start off on the wrong foot for me mentally, as I think there needs to be breathing room between relationships. This was no exception on that front. Other than that, Katerina and Roman were well-matched, and fun to read.
Michelle
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked that Kat was tough but I struggled with how she was always pushing Roman away and he was completely fine with it and kept coming back for more.

Kindly received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
C. Gonzales
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This book was a good distraction for me when I needed a fast, easy read.

A great read that was both sweet and believable.

I liked the emotion in this novel that the author was able to bring out. I loved learning about these characters and their lives, plus it has a wonderful romance.
Coco.V
Apr 30, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
💝 ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. 💝

• Up Close and Personal
  • Every Little Piece of Me (Orchid Valley #1)
  • Truth, Lies, and Second Dates
  • Must Love Dogs...and Hockey (Bears Hockey #1)
  • Could Be Something Good (Timber Falls #1)
  • Fake Play
  • Beauty and the Mustache (Knitting in the City, #4; Winston Brothers, #0)
  • Stroke of Luck
  • All I Wanna Do Is You
  • Secret Nights with a Cowboy (Kittredge Ranch, #1)
  • The Sheikh's Marriage Bargain (Hasan Sheikhs #1)
  • Cowboy for Hire (Wishing River, #2)
  • The Apartment
  • Flame (Dark Kings #17)
  • The Peasant's Dream (Hagenheim, #11)
  • The Cul-de-Sac War
  • Drinking with Chickens: Free-Range Cocktails for the Happiest Hour
  • Love at First
***Sign up for C.J.'s newsletter!***

C.J Burright is a native Oregonian and refuses to leave. A member of Romance Writers of America and the Fantasy, Futuristic & Paranormal special interest chapter, while she has worked for years in a law office, she chooses to avoid writing legal thrillers (for now) and instead invades the world of urban fantasy, paranormal romance, or fantasy. C.J. also has her

Music, Love and Other Miseries (4 books)
  • Every Kiss (Music, Love and Other Miseries, # 0.5)
  • Every Minute (Music, Love and Other Miseries, #1)
  • Every Breath (Music, Love & Other Miseries, #2)