Start by marking “The Picture of Dorian Gray” as Want to Read:

Read Book

The Picture of Dorian Gray

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  849,686 ratings  ·  25,847 reviews
Cselekményleírást tartalmaz!

Oscar Wilde klasszikus regényének hőse, a gazdag, gyönyörű és naiv fiatalember, Dorian Gray megszállottja annak a gondolatnak, hogy örökké fiatal és szép maradjon, s ezért még akár a lelkét is eladná. Miután az egyik barátja megfesti portréját, a fiú csak azt fájlalja, hogy az ő szépségét az élet és az idő hamar lerombolja majd, míg
Paperback, Modern Library Classics, 272 pages
Published June 1st 2004 by Random House: Modern Library (first published July 1890)

To ask other readers questions about The Picture of Dorian Gray, please sign up.
Cesar Ramirez Because it represents to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit. Or if you think the book is immoral, it is because it shows you your…moreBecause it represents to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit. Or if you think the book is immoral, it is because it shows you your own shame.(less)
Madawa possibly how we have an image of ourselves which we try to preserve, but its is our actions that defines us. To look one way and act another is…morepossibly how we have an image of ourselves which we try to preserve, but its is our actions that defines us. To look one way and act another is ruinous. I think there is a meaning of not pretending, not to be a hedonist and not to follow others blindly.(less)

·  849,686 ratings  ·  25,847 reviews

Start your review of The Picture of Dorian Gray
Stephen
PortraitOfDorianGray-review
Arguably literature's greatest study of shallowness, vanity, casual cruelty and hedonistic selfishness, Wilde lays it down here with ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!! This was my first experience in reading Oscar Wilde and the man’s gift for prose and dialogue is magical. This story read somewhat like a dark, corrupted Jane Austen in that the writing was snappy and pleasant on the ear, but the feeling it left you with was one of hopelessness and despair.

The level of cynicism and societal disregard that W
Paula
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Scoobs
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Oh Dorian. Oh Dorian.

When I first read this book in the fruitless years of my youth I was excited, overwhelmed and a blank slate (as Dorian is, upon his first encounter with Lord Henry) easily molded, persuaded, influenced, etc.

Certain Wildisms (Wildeisms?) would take my breath away. Would become my mottos to believe in. To follow. To live.

Lines like:

"It is silly of you, for there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and th
Emily May
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The sitter is merely the accident, the occasion. It is not he who is revealed by the painter; it is rather the painter who, on the coloured canvas, reveals himself. The reason I will not exhibit this picture is that I am afraid that I have shown in it the secret of my own soul."

And so begins this tale of art and sin.

I would highly recommend first watching the movie Wilde, a film which takes the audience on a journey through the life of the tormented writer, from the beginnings of his fame to his later
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Facts that I know for sure:

1. I got this edition because I'm a slave to the aesthetics and that's exactly the kind of motive the ghost of Oscar Wilde would approve of

2. It’s safe to assume that no matter what I’m doing, at any given moment in time, at least 20% of my brain capacity is perpetually dedicated to making sure I’m clever enough, flamboyant enough, petty enough, gay enough, dramatic enough to earn the approval of the ghost of Oscar Wilde
Barry Pierce
So I read all of Wilde's plays a couple of years ago but for some reason I never read this at the time. This is probably the number one most requested book for me to read. So I read it. Are ya happy now!? ARE YA!?

I really rather enjoyed this. Well, obviously. I mean, did you honestly think I wasn't going to like The Picture of Dorian Gray? It's by Oscar Wilde for fuck's sake. His prose is like spilled honey flowing across a wooden table and waterfalling onto the floor beneath. The viscous
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”He grew more and more enamoured of his own beauty, more and more interested in the corruption of his own soul.”

I think I must have been about fifteen when I read “The Picture of Dorian Gray” for the very first time and I was totally blown away by it. There was this book, written in such a beautiful way, using such colourful and flowery language and there were those three amazing characters that made me feel and wonder and question their lives and decisions!

You might say that up until I picked up
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I finished reading this last night, and afterwards I spent an entire hour staring into space so I could contemplate over the majesty of this work. It left me speechless. This book is exquisite; it is an investigation into the human soul, the power of vanity and the problems of living a life with not a single consequence for your actions. It’s truly powerful stuff.

It begins with a simple realisation, and perhaps an obvious one. But, for Dorian it is completely life changing. He realises that bea
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
The Picture of Dorian Gray is a hard book to review. After reading such eloquent, beautiful, and rich writing, I am at a loss for how to command my comparatively paltry ability to use words to express how I felt about this book.

Forgive me as I go back to AP English for a few moments. I asked myself what were the themes of this novel. Here is my list:

Identity
Experience
Beauty
The triumph on senses over reason
Accountability

I will attempt to build my review, in part, around the/>Identity ...more
Henry Avila
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A face without a heart", so said Shakespeare in Hamlet, but it applies to the portrait of Dorian Gray even better.... When the young gentleman Dorian Gray from a wealthy aristocratic family in Victorian England, has his picture completed something is missing, Basil Hallward, the painter senses it and insists that no one sees his greatest work, except a few people ... The witty Lord Henry Wotton, Dorian's soon to be best friend seems amused, a shy artist! All three are fascinated by the painting ...more
Jim Fonseca
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: irish-authors
Even if we haven’t read the book everyone knows the plot. A painter paints a portrait of a beautiful young man. The portrait ages while he keeps his beauty. But the portrait also reflects his evil, not just aging, but turning eventually into a portrait of a devil.

There are thousands of reviews so I’ll just copy the next paragraph from the GR book blurb:

Written in his distinctively dazzling manner, Oscar Wilde’s story of a fashionable young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty is
Anne
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I should probably admit that most of what I thought I knew about Dorian Gray came from pop culture references. In my defense, I'm actively trying to branch out and read more than comics and trashy romance novels, but it's slow going and I've got a lot of catching up to do.
Shockingly, I didn't bother to read the blurb, and it turns out this was a bit more complex than I thought it would be.

description

Point is, I had no ide
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
This is the first time I've read this classic book....but I've loved Oscar Wilde for as long as I can remember.

There is much to take away from this book. Themes exploring shallowness, selfishness, superficiality, hedonism, morality, and flaws of life and being human.

The dialogue is witty and humorous.
Oscar Wilde had great insights on beauty....
I love this quote:
"But beauty, real beauty, ends where an intellectual expression begins. Intellect is in itself a mode of exaggeration, an
jessica
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic.’

and boy, this story was an exquisite tragedy. wilde admits that the books which the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame. and this is one of the most immoral books i have ever read.

this is a story about the loss of innocence, of revelling in sin and debauchery, and everything in between. but its also an examination of the human soul, its struggle with vanity, and a life lived without any sort
Petra-XoPlanet
Possessing eternal youth and beauty produces exactly the same effect as sentencing a man to life without the possibility of parole. Both have nothing to lose and morals disappear before the desire for immediate self-gratification in all things. And so it is with Dorian Gray. It's a moral story so eventually his evil catches up with him and he dies, as does the criminal.

Is Oscar Wilde saying that it is man's essential nature, to be so internally psychopathic and selfish that so long as he can ke
Trevor
Mar 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
This is another of those books I’ve been meaning to read for ages and kept putting off. Although I’ve a particularly good reason for putting this one off, as a very good friend of mine, who died a couple of years ago, spoke to me about this book and I was worried that might make it hard to read for quite other reasons.

He said that when he read this book as a young man it made him certain that he was not homosexual. Now, that in itself was enough to make me curious about the book. Thi
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I really don't know why goodreads deleted the rating of my favourite book, but as it seems it happened?! O_o

WTH? *lol*
Well anyway, of course it's a five star, did you expect any different? XD

I'll definitely reread it one day and will write a proper review, because this book deserves such an awesome in-depth review that 3.500 words certainly won't be enough! *lol*

One day, this screen page is going to crack with my gushing.
That's a promise! ;-P
Paul Bryant
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
I don't know what I was quite expecting here. It's a psychological horror story with a lot of comic relief, in the form of the endless witty paradoxes. After page 30 you are thinking that if Lord Henry makes just one more crack you're going to knock his monocle off his family crest and grind it underfoot. Oscar often clearly thinks he's being hilarious with his wit with a capital W – and maybe it's me, but Oscar Wilde often sounds like a parody of Oscar Wilde, like in the Monty Python sketch

WHISTLER: Your Majesketch
WHISTLER:
Johann (jobis89)
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic."

Under the influence of a captivating aristocrat, Dorian Gray sells his soul in exchange for prolonged youth and vitality. Part of the deal is that a full-length portrait of Dorian will age and record his sins, whereas he remains unblemished.

Picking one quote from this book was like being asked to read just one book for the rest of your life - nigh-on impossible. I hadn't even thought about how difficu
Ahmad Sharabiani
809. The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
The Picture of Dorian Gray is a philosophical novel by Oscar Wilde, first published complete in the July 1890 issue of Lippincott's Monthly Magazine. The Picture of Dorian Gray begins on a beautiful summer day in Victorian era England, where Lord Henry Wotton, an opinionated man, is observing the sensitive artist Basil Hallward painting the portrait of Dorian Gray, a handsome young man who is Basil's ultimate muse. While sitting for the painting,
Melanie

“Some day, when you are old and wrinkled and ugly, when thought has seared your forehead with its lines, and passion branded your lips with its hideous fires, you will feel it, you will feel it terribly.”

So, I wanted 2018 to be the year that I try to get back into classics! In the past, I’ve found some of them daunting to read, or just too boring to ever feel invested in. But I feel like The Picture of Dorian Gray was the perfect start.

Beautiful art by saku-chann on Tumblr

I originally was going to give this three stars, because I enjoyed it enough, but was never too invested. I felt annoyed at how these characters were so obviously not straight. I mean, a vast majority of this book is about Dorian taking a wife. Meanwhile, every man in this book just has full page monologues telling Dorian how beautiful he is. And then I sat down to do my review, and I started doing my research.

It’s no secret that Oscar Wilde was a gay man. Hell, he was even jailed for his sexuality, and died soon after from all the inhumane injuries he endured while in prison. All three major male character in this book read very… not straight. My friend, Destiny, told me that a lot of readers in the Horror circles make strong arguments that Dorian is in fact pansexual, which makes me happier than I can express with words. Yet, I can’t help but think about parallels with this book that Wilde crafted about “secret sin” and how it mirrored his life and perhaps his sexuality that he ultimately died for.

You guys, I have no words. In the 1880s people thought homosexuality was some disease, something to be cured, something not okay to simply just be. Something that was a criminal act. Something that Oscar Wilde was jailed and forced to do hard labor for. And once you start seeing the similarities between Wilde’s life and the events that take place in this book, you will realize that like The Picture of Dorian Gray is so much more important that the surface value of just reading this story.

Okay, I do suppose I should tell you about the story now. This is a tale that centers around three men that live in an upper-class London society:

➽ Basil Hallward - Artist who befriends Dorian because he is obsessed with his beauty and lives his life painting many portraits of him, but more importantly, he paints the portrait that this story surrounds.

➽ Lord Henry Wotton - Basil's friend, which is how he meets Dorian. Henry is a manipulator that heavily influences Dorian with his views about what is important in life.

➽ Dorian Gray - Our main character, who starts out so young, innocent, and impressionable. He later is harboring a major secret and will stop at nothing to hide this secret and the events that lead him to this secret.

“There are only two kinds of people who are fascinating - people who know absolutely everything and people who know absolutely nothing.”

In this book, the value of appearance is heavily touched upon. Youth and beauty seem to be everyone’s priority. It’s scary and sad how much this also mirrors 2018. There is also a huge discussion to be had about good versus evil and how we view that grey area in-between. Yet, these discussions are held in this seamlessly woven story.

Overall, even though I didn’t five star this, I really enjoyed it and it was able to evoke a lot of emotion from me. More importantly, I recommend you all to read My dear friend Navessa’s review, which ended up evoking even more emotion from me. She linked this article, which then made me weep. Again, this story is so much more than a paranormal painting, and a man trying to hide secrets. This is a masterpiece and my heart will forever break thinking about this story.

Trigger/content warnings: death, murder, suicide, and a ton of misogynistic comments.

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

Buddy read with Dani! ❤
Lisa
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We are living the life of Dorian Gray.

We sacrifice our souls to the illusion of beauty and youth. We are using surgery and photoshopping to hide the real portrait of ourselves growing older and darker as our pleasures feel more and more hollow by sheer repetition. The likes of Bret Easton Ellis, who try to depict the "sinful" lives of modern-day Dorians, are less shocking than tedious and boring.

We are constantly looking for instant gratification to soothe our nerves: new foods, new clothes,
Kalliope
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ireland, france, britain, art, 2014

Funny how books are moulded by the circumstances in which they have been read.

In Dorian Gray, some of its aspects are very easy to grasp and do not need great explanations.

For example, Wilde’s epigrammatic style is so very distinct. I have had a lot of fun selecting quotes and peppered with them my reading progress.

His sentences are like small diamonds. They can be held and set against the light and moved around so that their different facets will shine and reflect the w
Jonathan Terrington
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: classic readers, those who enjoy morals
The Picture of Dorian Gray could also be titled A Portrait of the Human Soul, for in his dark and tragic commentary Oscar Wilde spares no liberties in discussing morality, religion, society and the depths of the human condition. It is a deeply moving and inspired novel centering around the defining power of art. It is not an easy novel to read with its dark elements. For in paying heed to Dorian Gray's demise one is drawn into a reflection of their own spiritual condition.

For those who have n
Khush
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing

To read 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' is to know Oscar Wilde– the man as well as the writer. I love both. The novel has many fascinating aspects.

Wilde writings are not vague in anyways. This is true for his novels, plays, and even criticism, and they are always profound. One has to stop and re-read very often, his sentences are often crisp, short, and yet contain observations that an ordinary person may not 'observe' all his life. One sees such sentences, even paragraphs, which edify
Leo .
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Imagine being immortal. Wow! To still be around after hundreds of years. One thing is true, you would know what really happened in the past. Let's face it you would have witnessed something first hand. And today you would read the modern history books and maybe, just maybe...Lol!

All history is just what it means. His. Story. History was predominantly written by men. Left brain and in a draconian way. History to me, whomever wrote it, is theory, opinion and conjecture. Ho
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(3.5) This reminded me of why I like classics. Some parts dragged on too long but I enjoyed it overall!
Manny
"My dear Jordan!" said Lord Rayner expansively, as the butler discreetly closed the door behind his young visitor. "Really, it is too good to see you again! And what brings you to Cambridge?"

"Oh, this and that," said the lad, flinging himself casually onto a priceless Ikea divan. "By the way, has there been some mistake in the casting? I thought I was female?"

"Well, since we're doing Dorian Gray, I hoped you would have no objection to reversing your gender," said his host. "An
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Upping my rating to 5 stars. What a powerful novel about choices and consequences! Written in 1890 by the brilliant Oscar Wilde, this novel follows the life and times of Dorian Gray. Dorian is a gorgeous blond 20 year old when he meets up with the painter Basil Hallward, who paints the ill-fated portrait of Dorian.

description

Through Basil - who dotes on Dorian ju
Sabrina
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
”The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”

Oh my, my, my
This book is a

M.A.S.T.E.R.P.I.E.C.E

• Lord of the Flies
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Anna Karenina
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Ethan Frome and Selected Stories
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • In a Glass Darkly
  • Estado y revolución
  • The Idiot
  • Diary of a Madman, The Government Inspector,  Selected Stories
  • Barnaby Rudge
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet, and author of numerous short stories, and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being ...more
“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.” 16408 likes
“You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.” 8703 likes