Start by marking “Killer Deadline (Nikki Bryant)” as Want to Read:
Killer Deadline (Nikki Bryant)

(Nikki Bryant #1)

Folks in Pine Grove, Pennsylvania, claim that where Nikki Bryant goes, trouble is not far behind. Her refusal to back down from a challenge has made Nikki Bryant a top investigative journalist.

When an online friend nudges her to join him in a pact to reconnect with their first loves, Nikki and her boxer dog Elmo leave the bright lights of Las Vegas for the charming town of
Published April 23rd 2020 by Acorn Book Services

To ask other readers questions about Killer Deadline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Deadline

Start your review of Killer Deadline (Nikki Bryant)
Sherry Fundin
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
With the fun cover for Killer Deadline by Lauren Carr, I was pretty sure I would have some laughs with my mystery, and she did not fail to deliver.

Nikki had left home to go to college and study journalism and never came back. It has been twenty years, and she has come back to run the TV station her family owns…and see if HE is still available.

Also, Her father’s murder has never been solved and she is on the case.

It wouldn’t be a Lauren Carr novel without a dog, and Elmo is a perfect fit. He is a
SA Krishnan
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable cosy mystery

Nikki’s story starts as she was returning home to take over the TV station after her mother decides to retire. There, Ashleigh Addison who is a cool on air personality and Nikki’s childhood nemesis, ends up dead. Just before her death, Ashleigh was to report a secret incident.
The mystery gets better because Ashleigh’s murder is connected to Nikki’s father’s death, which had occurred many years back.
The cutest character in the story is Elmo, the dog who is an internet phenom
Jypsy
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Iread Book Tours for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

A Nikki Bryant Cozy Mystery
By: Lauren Carr

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆
Lauren Carr is an author I serendipitously found one day. Since then, I have had the good fortune to read a numerous number of her works. Each one has its own merits to recommend it as a favorite, and Killer Deadline is a wonderful new addition to this ever growing list. Killer Deadline differs in that it is
Marilyn Wilson
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of author Lauren Carr's books, but have often wondered why she has never had a female lead character. That's all behind me now as Carr just launched a brand new series whose main character is none other than Nikki Bryant, a smart, intelligent world class investigative journalist. YES!

When her mother decides to retire, Nikki returns home to take over running the family TV station. Soon after she arrives, Ashleigh, her childhood nemesis who is an on air personality at the station,
LAWonder10
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Carr has created another humorous, exciting series!
'Killer Deadline' is a "deadly serious" story about Nikki, and
her recent acquired celebrity dog, leaving a lucrative career
in a big city to return to her small home town to take over
the news station that is family owned. She is anxious
in returning to not only some unpleasant memories, but to
the "one who got away" to discover if there is still a chance
for them...

Of course, the author has included another lovable dog
with a unique and pecul
Laura Thomas
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I’ve read and loved a bunch of Lauren’s books and was excited to get my hands on this cozy mystery. I know she can bring her characters to life. I know she can sprinkle some fun romance along with those characters. I know she can give the critters in her stories as much of a role as her human ones. And I know she can give me a cast of characters to keep me on my toes and a mystery that keeps me clueless. And now she’s going to do all that with a cozy mystery series!

Nikki returns to her small hom
Kristine Hall
4.5 STARS. Audio Book Review: KILLER DEADLINE is a quick-hit cozy mystery, clocking in at just six and a half hours of listening. The short length, along with the super-cute cover and that it is written by Lauren Carr, made it a perfect choice for me in a time when I’m craving the escape of an entertaining story but don’t have a lot of time for one. When there’s precious little time to dedicate to reading for pleasure, I know that I can choose one of Carr’s books (I’ve read a bunch) and feel con ...more
Jasmine
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Killer Deadline is the first book in the Nikki Bryant Cozy Mystery series. It follows investigative journalist Nikki Bryant as she leaves behind everything in Nevada to return to her childhood home in small-town Pennsylvania. Her mother is retiring from her job at the local news station, and Nikki is now in charge. Years before, her father, who owned the station, was murdered, but his case was never solved. Now that Nikki's back, she's determined to find out who killed her dad...before she becom ...more
Carla
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the way that Lauren Carr writes and she does not disappoint, this book is a huge treat! I loved our strong, independent characters, the plot that was true to her style of writing and full of twists – the novel is fantastic from start to finish.

Nikki is incredible – brave, confident and strong. She is not afraid to say how she feels and go after what she wants (except for maybe that lost love of hers). She lost her Father many years ago and the murder had gone unsolved, something that she
Michelle Bloodworth
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Carr was a new author for me then realized that cozy mysteries are new to me too. I don't pay much attention to genres..I just want a good book.

Killer Deadline is the first in a new series (A Nikki Bryant Cozy Mystery) which grabbed my attention soon after starting the book. She is a journalist that wants all of the story and doesn't care how she gets it. People see her as a troublemaker, I saw her as someone that was fun to follow. What grabbed my attention to begin with is that she was
Kayla
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books, blogged
What a super fun cozy mystery! This story had me hooked from the beginning. I mean, the story opened with a murder - who wouldn't want to know what happened? I enjoyed the addition of Elmo to the story. I had my suspicions who NerdyBoy was and I was correct! The murderers had me guessing until everything started coming together and I was like 'AH'. An entertaining weekend read!

The only recommendation I have is formatting for Kindle. The paragraph breaks were misleading so page counts/percentage
Melyssa
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read all of my reviews at bit.ly/PageBedtime

Killer Deadline by Lauren Carr is a fictional cozy mystery novel that centers around Nikki Bryant and her return to her small hometown of Pine Grove to take over management of the family's TV news station. When Nikki was a child, her father was murdered in his office at the news station. This event played a part in her career as an investigative journalist. When she returns home to take over the business from her mother, one of her employees is mysteri
Angel Martin
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-tours, 2020
[4.5]
I enjoyed this book far more than I expected to. The cover threw me off at first, but the blurb had me hooked immediately. In this case, I'm glad I ignored the fact that the cover doesn't look like something I'd enjoy. The book was the perfect mix of mystery and humor.

With most murder mysteries, it's quite easy to guess the killer. However, with this book, I couldn't figure it out no matter how hard I tried. It got even more difficult when a second murder was revealed, and through most of t
Leila
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have really struggled with the desire to want to read right now, but the second I saw this was a Lauren Carr book; I put all things aside and said “let’s do this!” And, of course, I have zero regrets. (I haven’t read a book this fast in months! I could not put it down!)

Many of Lauren’s mysteries have men as the main character. We have Jessica, but the other series feature Mac, Chris, and Josh. It was nice to have another mystery with a female lead.

Another bonus of Lauren’s books is that they a
Ibjoy1953
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

I love a good cozy mystery so I was excited to read this one. This is the first book I have read from Lauren Carr, so I didn’t know what to expect, but I was pleasantly delighted to read and review Killer Deadline. Ms. Carr has written and exceptionally great cozy mystery read.

When Nikki and her Boxer friend Elmo move back to her small hometown of Pine Grove, Pennsylvania, she had her work cut out for her. Her fathers murder is her priority, even though she has to take o
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
What I Loved:
I have so enjoyed this book! I loved the mix of humor and mystery. It has a wonderful collection of characters that make you feel right at home with the story!

How I Felt:
Killer Deadline introduces Nikki our strong, confident heroine, as she is leaving behind her successful career to return to her hometown and take over the family TV station. With her return to her hometown, Nikki is determined to uncover the mystery around her father’s unsolved murder. Just when she thinks another r
Meagan Myhren-Bennett
A Nikki Bryant Cozy Mystery #1
By Lauren Carr
Narrated by Anita Alger

Nikki Bryant is returning home to take over the family's television station in Pine Grove, Pennsylvania. After years of honing her skills as an investigative journalist, it is time to return home to her family and to her first love. Though there is that awkward situation of now Ryan being her step-brother. But, hey, a girl can hope, right?

Nikki is determined to get to the truth of her father's murder all those year
Lelia Taylor
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-reviews
Lauren Carr has several popular series and releases numerous books every year but, apparently, she isn’t busy enough because here she is starting another one 😉 I love those other series that are what I consider traditional mysteries with various elements of law enforcement and, although Killer Deadline is very different, being a true cozy, I do believe Ms. Carr has come up with another fun series.

There are two things I can always expect from a Lauren Carr book, a good deal of humor and one or mo
Angela Thompson
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cozy, Small Town Mystery with Engaging Characters to Love. The author begins this book with a cast of characters--and, while the list may seem a bit long--readers will quickly learn that every character (no matter the size of their role) plays a part in the mysteries at hand. If you have read the author's other series, expect this new mystery to be much more cozy mystery like without the high ranking police involvement, and big city feel of her other series. As always, the author puts together a ...more
Meagan Myhren-Bennett
By Lauren Carr

Nicki Bryant blew it years ago with her first love - the one she always thought was THE ONE. But she left home following her career dreams and to not see The One fall for someone else. But now she's heading home and who knows what the future holds for reconnecting with Ryan.

But before she can figure out just where she and Ryan stand a murder rocks her world and Pine Grove, Pennsylvania. Nicki finds the body of her childhood rival and naturally, that looks just a tad
Jessica Bronder
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nikki Bryant is a killer investigative journalist living in Las Vegas with her rescue dog Elmo. When she learns that her mother is retiring from the television station Nikki decides to return to her small hometown, Pine Grove, Pennsylvania.

When Nikki gets into town she learns that her first love has now become her step brother and her nemesis, Ashleigh Addison is a reporter that teases about a huge scoop she has. Nikki thinks that the story may be related to her father’s cold case. But Ashleigh
Amy
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A new cozy mystery series by author Carr? Yep, I am going to definitely read that. And so I did and what a fun read it was. If you like mysteries you will like this one. A murder has happened and it may or may not be linked to other crimes. But like with other author Carr books, the answers are not so easily seen or gotten. Twists and turns and more abound in this little mystery of a woman who is coming back to her hometown for a second chance at love and business.

Nikki Bryant and her family hav
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2020
Nikki Bryant has returned home to Pine Grove to take over the reigns of the families TV station, but before she can even settle in she stumbles upon the body of Ashleigh Addison - who is not only the local newscaster but her childhood rivial! It appears that Ashleigh had gotten a hold of a great story that she was going to tell but her untimely death put that story to rest along with her, or did it? Nikki thinks that the story was a possible cold case lead into the death of her father all those ...more
Angelique
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have recently rediscovered my love of the cozy mystery (the last time being when I was 10 and reading Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew) and I gotta say the last few weeks (has it been months already???) I have loved reintroducing myself to the joys and love of a well written mystery that keeps you on your toes and guessing.

This was one of those mysteries. Lauren Carr is a genius with the red herrings and the misleading of your attention. She is a masterful story teller who created such vibrant charac
Amy
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Carr has once again written a fun mystery in her new release, Killer Deadline. It is, also, begins her new series, A Nikki Bryant Cozy Mystery Book. I thought this book was entertaining from start to finish. Readers will be taken to the small town of Pine Grove, Pennsylvania. Nikki Bryant comes back to town with her Boxer, Elmo. As soon as she arrives in to town there, she finds the body of her childhood rival and the local news anchor, Ashleigh Addison. As an investigative journalist and ...more
Cover Lover Book Review
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
AUDIO review

I rarely read cozy mysteries. My usual genres are historical, time-slip, Christian, and women’s fiction, but every now and then I stretch into something different. In this case I’m glad I did, and I hope to delve into more fun-to-read cozy mysteries in the near future.

Nikki is an interesting personality and is easy to connect with. But I must admit, Elmo (the dog) and Ryan stole the show for me. :) Pine Grove is a wonderful setting and I feel like I've now been there.

Audio Narration:
Jea Song
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
“𝘼𝙨 𝙖 𝙟𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙣𝙖𝙡𝙞𝙨𝙩, 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙞𝙩’𝙨 𝙙𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙨 𝙩𝙤 𝙟𝙪𝙢𝙥 𝙩𝙤 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙘𝙡𝙪𝙨𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙨 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙖𝙘𝙩𝙨... 𝙋𝙚𝙤𝙥𝙡𝙚’𝙨 𝙡𝙞𝙫𝙚𝙨 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙗𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙧𝙪𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙙 𝙗𝙮 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙢𝙚𝙙𝙞𝙖 𝙧𝙪𝙣𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙬𝙞𝙡𝙙 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙨 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙮 𝙤𝙣𝙡𝙮 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙝𝙖𝙡𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙖𝙘𝙩𝙨.”
-𝙇𝙖𝙪𝙧𝙚𝙣 𝘾𝙖𝙧𝙧, 𝙆𝙞𝙡𝙡𝙚𝙧 𝘿𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙚

𝓚𝓲𝓵𝓵𝓮𝓻 𝓓𝓮𝓪𝓭𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓮 𝓫𝔂 𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓻𝓮𝓷 𝓒𝓪𝓻𝓻 𝓑𝓸𝓸𝓴 𝓣𝓸𝓾𝓻

A story about crime, the news industry, and a top investigative journalist with a dog!?!?!?!?! SIGN ME UP!!!!!

We all love a cozy mystery story with a strong female lead!!!! In the book, Nikki’s instincts as an investigativ
Cathy Cermele
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First, I fell in love with the cover, then I fell in love with the adorable characters. It was a toss-up between Nikki, Ryan and Elmo and after reading this charming and fun novel, I have decided the three of them are my new favorite fictional characters. I started reading cozy mysteries several years ago and have discovered they are one of my favorite genres. Although this is only the second book I have read by Ms. Carr. who is now one of my favorite authors

The story of investigative journalis
Rose (Adventurous Bookworm)
Ohh, this was a fun mystery. It was unique and complex without being overwhelming.
Nikki was a fun character. She was so confident in herself and that’s not always found in mysteries. She stayed true to herself throughout the whole story.
ELMO! I couldn't help but love this smart dog who made me laugh every time he appeared on the page. *picks up phone* “Hello, I’d like to request a visit from Elmo.”
One other thing I really liked about this story was the humor. It was present but not too much. It
Dawn
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose to listen to this book after receiving a free audio copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. I had read this book previously and liked it, so I was happy to listen to it as well.

In Killer Deadline, a Nikki Bryant returns home to take over her family’s TV station. She has also decided (with a nudge from an online friend) that it’s time to reconnect with her first and only true love, her former boyfriend and stepbrother.

The first thing that happens when Nikki a

• Mia and Nattie: One Great Team!
  • A Child Lost (Henrietta and Inspector Howard #5)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • Perils and Pearls: In World War II, a Family's Story of Survival and Freedom from Japanese Jungle Prison Camps
  • The Takeaway Men
  • The Sea Book
  • The Bee Book
  • Love, Life, and Lucille
  • The Other People
  • Swimming Sideways (Cantos Chronicles, #1)
  • Scheme
  • The Strange Adventures of H
  • The Hatch
  • Run Girl Run (Harry Hunter Mystery, #2)
  • Cut You Dead (Dr. Samantha Willerby #4)
  • Cas (Heroes at Heart #8)
Lauren Carr is the international best-selling author of the Mac Faraday, Lovers in Crime, and Thorny Rose Mysteries—over twenty titles across three fast-paced mystery series filled with twists and turns!

Book reviewers and readers alike rave about how Lauren Carr’s seamlessly crosses genres to include mystery, suspense, romance, and humor.

Lauren is a popular speaker who has made appearances at sc

News & Interviews