Start by marking “Under Your Skin” as Want to Read:
Under Your Skin

Under Your Skin

Local Belfast resident Julia Matthews joins the #FindHannah campai
Published May 21st 2020 by Darkstroke/Crooked Cat (first published April 27th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Under Your Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Your Skin

Start your review of Under Your Skin
San
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Under Your Skin is intense story from the beginning as reader is thrown from the first page into action. Kyle’s wife Hannah goes missing and nobody knows what happened. Or maybe someone does know?

The book is written from the few POVs and I enjoyed reading the story from different perspectives. It always reader to see two sides of the coin and it made me question intentions of characters and I changed my opinion with almost every chapter.

The only thing that I didn't like so much was chapters fro
Melissa  ~ Recreational Hobbyist
Hannah goes missing & husband is the number one suspect, of course. At first, you think he’s a decent guy, & is just worried about his missing wife. People grieve in different ways, so I don’t judge. Kyle goes off the rails into a level of awful behavior that you just know he had to have killed his wife.

Hannah’s chapters detail her life with Kyle & his abusive behavior leading up to her going missing & the events of the present day. Kyle, it turns out, it abusive & controlling in the relationshi
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Whilst this was a tense and dark read, the way the story is written with alternating chapters featuring the female characters, well it had me racing through the pages and I ended up reading it in two sittings.

Hannah, Kate and Kerry were my main stand out characters. They all brought something different to the table and it was good seeing their different personalities and getting to know them all better. The relationships between Kerry and her work partner as well as Kate and her boyfriend Guy, m
Linda Strong

DI Simon Peters and DS Kerry Lawlor are answering a husband's call about his wife, who seems to be missing.

After talking to the husband, her work colleagues, friends, etc,, they find no clues. No one seems to know where she is, who would have abducted her. Someone has to know something. Her husband, perhaps, since he is automatically primary suspect?

Residents gather together to form searches, looking for anything that might give them some clues. Julia Matthews meets the husband and a friendship
Zoe
Jan 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Hannah is missing , her husband Kyle reports this to the police & two detectives DI Simon & DS Kerry are assigned to lead the case , a social media trend of #findhannah begins and walks are arranged searching local ground.

Kyle is the prime suspect yet on one of the #findhannah walks he becomes close to Julia , Julia is a loner type and laps up all Kyle’s attention.

Hannah is in a basement and her chapters in the book go back and tell the story from when her & Kyle met , the wedding , the honeym
Melanie’s reads
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is more than a thriller, it’s a microscopic look into domestic abuse and coercive control. How men can, at the start, be charm personified but gradually have swings of behaviour so you start to change your own behaviour to keep the peace. But be nice often enough so they don’t forget the man they fell in love with and excuse his behaviour. Societal pressure and the idea of the perfect life making many women kowtow to conform to certain expectations.

Narrated by multiple women throughout
Claire Bailey
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You know that feeling when you start a new book - Apprehension mixed with a touch of excitement - and then as you read more you realise you’ve got something quite special in your hands? Well for me, this book was it!

I devoured, absorbed and ate up every last word this book had to offer. I simply could not put it down even when my eyelids were feeling heavy and my brain was going slushy after a long day.

Told from different perspectives (Hannah- the missing wife, Kyle - the doting husband, Julia
Permanently_Booked
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
Oh this was good! The type of read that sucks you in from the beginning and has you guessing who is up to what. The synopsis is all you need going into this one. It gives just enough to question everyone and everything until the reveal.

This is told from multiple POVs and I am glad McClelland includes the character name at the beginning of each chapter. What I enjoyed the most is the realistic feel of the scenarios in this book. It's not outlandish and the actions and inner dialogue of the charac
Candelaria Rial
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is really great. It has everything a great thriller must have, a disappearance, a deep investigation and a plot twist.
When Hannah disappears, Kyle, her husband, notifies her disappearance to the police, and they start investigating. But not only Hanna’s whereabouts will be revealed, but also a lot of dark secrets about almost everyone who knows Hannah or ir involved in the investigation.
I really liked that Rose tells us the story behind every character, because it gives us the whole pi
Charlie Tyler
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a rollercoaster of a read where you are certain you know what's happening one minute and then the next you're off pursuing a different line of enquiry. There are great dynamics between the characters so whilst it's a gripping page turner, at the same time all the people stay real; flawed and grounded. I devoured it. ...more
Paterson  Loarn
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
'When Kyle’s wife Hannah goes missing, the whole town is out in force to try to find her. One person knows where she is. One person is keeping a secret.Detective Inspector Simon Peters and Detective Kerry Lawlor have been brought in to investigate the case but Hannah has left no traces and Kyle has no clues.'

I love novels set in a real location. My initial interest in Rose McClelland’s writing was sparked by her descriptions of Belfast. ‘Under Your Skin’ describes enticing cafés and restaurants
Emma Shaw
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
To the outside world, Hannah and Kyle Greer are happily married. But when Kyle reports his wife missing, the disturbing truth beneath that shiny veneer is slowly revealed. A dark, twisted and affecting novel, Under Your Skin is an exploration of an abusive marriage and the secrets that hide behind closed doors.

At 272 pages this is a short book, but it's the author's gripping and atmospheric prose that made it one I devoured in just a few hours. It took me a little while to get used to the multi
Samantha Gonsalves
With time, I've come to expect a certain level of thrill from the books I read especially if they're presented as "a gripping thriller" or a psychological thriller. Unfortunately for me, this book didn't give me those thrills that I highly seek in a book. The story started off well but at a certain point and after numerous times when I thought "now comes the twist" the book instead got very predictable. The characters were good. I liked Kerry & Simon as characters & it would have been interestin ...more
Janice Lombardo
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a delight! The truth is that I almost passed on requesting this book. Sure glad I gave it a try!

Hannah is Kyle's wife. At this point, she had been missing for 2 days. (Although Kyle initially tried to call the police at 12 hours).

The police case begins for missing Hannah; DI Simon Peters and DC Kerry Lawlor visit Kyle, first..

Hannah is in a basement somewhere. - but her pills and books somehow make it bearable. Also, she is quite happy to not have to "play at life". She has time to remin
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
This is a superb read. I felt as if it consumed me. We get several points of view in this story. Sometimes I find this confusing but the author wrote it in such a way I followed it easily enough. As we get the story with several points of view I felt as if I was watching it on tv.

Kyles wife Hannah goes missing. The police investigate and he starts a campaign to look for her. Julia a local helping in the search and Detective Kerry Lawlor also gives their view.

Lots of questions running through my
Nin
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First I want to tell you this : OMG this book is sooooo good. It kept me hooked till the end and I didn't want to stop reading. I really enjoyed it and had a great time reading this. I'm really happy that I received this book to review cause I have a lot of good things to say.

The characters are very good written and the writing style is easy to read. I love Hannah and Kate. I dislike Kyle and I dislike Julia in the beginning but reading further I changed my mind and I liked her.

This book has top
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh, it really is a bit of magic when just a few pages into a novel that you concur that you have something quite special being shared with you. That is exactly what Under Your Skin is. The book community has been raving about this story but somehow, I just didn’t appreciate just how powerful and how much of an impact it would have upon me. I’m very wary of hyped books but in this case, the hype hasn’t been enough. This book crackles with electricity with every page turn.

Reading this sto
Andie
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
**disclosure: I received a copy of this novel from the author in exchange for a review***

Trigger warnings: sexual abuse/rape, substance abuse, domestic abuse and mentions of self harm.

It has been a while since I have done this, and this not my usual genre...but here we go!

This story follows the case of a missing woman, Hannah Greer. She hasn't been seen in 48 hours and has apparently disappeared without a trace. What follows is a multiple-persoective journey through the eyes of family, friends,
Sukaina Majeed
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Under Your Skin by Rose McClelland is the story of three different women in three different conditions and what exactly it is that brings them together. Hannah is missing & her husband has filed a missing case. Julie meets Hannah's husband who organised the # FindHannah campaign and gets to know him better and Kerry the police officer becomes a part of the investigation to Find Hannah.
The book takes us through different experiences and the main characters of the book have a story to tell of th
Angel White (Certified_Book_Nerd)
Kyle and Hannah seem the perfect couple, their romance a whirlwind that quickly turns into marriage. One day Hannah doesn't return home and Kyle is beside himself. He calls the police but feels they aren't doing enough and ends up starting his own #findhannah campaign.

Julia sees the news and decides to pitch in and join the #findhannah campaign. During a search she meets Kyle and they quickly become friends. Julia soon learns secrets the police could only guess at as she becomes close to Kyle.

Wh
Hayley
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
For McCelland who has only previously written chiclit books, she writes suspense novels like a pro!

In Under Your Skin we meet Kyle who has reported his wife (Hannah) as missing. As the police step up to start a search for Hannah, Kyle launch his own search using the hashtag #FindHannah to try and drum up some local support.

The story is told from differing points of view; Hanna, Kerry (the investigating officer), Kate (a local whose in invested in the #FindHannah campaign) and Julia (who is activ
Liz Barnsley
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to reading this but unfortunately it just didn't float my boat. I'm not sure if I can put my finger on why exactly- nothing wrong with the writing, as a psychological thriller it had a decent plot - I guess this is just one of those misfit moments.

Honestly I found it to have nothing at all new to offer which is not unusual in this genre but also with apologies I just thought it was all a bit dull. Subjective obviously but it's my truth.
Emily Quinn
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m still buzzing about this book! Incredible! I’d heard so many great things about this one before I had the chance to review, so when the opportunity came up, I jumped at it.

This book has been a first for me – I bought the paperback before I’d even finished reading! It’s one of those stories that leaves you sitting in silence long after reading, coming to terms with everything you’ve just experienced. I’ve been in awe from start to finish, the plot is so unpredictable and the characters so bel
Jan
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Rose’s writing, her punchy dialogue, the raw honesty of her phrasing, and have enjoyed all her novels. This was a change in genre for her, and she has delivered another brilliant story. Kyle’s wife Hannah goes missing and from the off we know things aren’t what they seem with this couple and their complex relationship. It is dark, disturbing and gripping all in one and the subject matter and characters’ emotions were so cleverly and authentically portrayed, I could have almost been readin ...more
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
This is a dark story of mental abuse, manipulation and the extent some people will go to escape their lives.

We are led through this story from four different women. Hannah the main woman, Kerry the Police Officer, Julia and Kate and you aren’t sure how they fit at first and I loved that air of mystery. Be careful if you read some reviews on Goodreads because they tell you how it fits! The main focus is Hannah and her story, however, we see insights into all their lives and how they are all impac
Vonnie Hughes
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this. It wasn't chockful of police cant or csi parlance, but its down-to-earth writing appealed to this reader. Told from several points of view, it is basically a story about a man who enjoys abusing women and the way he justifies his behaviour is fascinating. Made the reader wonder if other abusers think the same way--that the blame lies with the victims. ...more
Val Penny
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I recently made a journey to London by train. I was meant to have my husband’s company, but he was unwell and not able to travel, so I took Rose McClelland’s new novel, Under Your Skin with me. I was not disappointed.

Under Your Skin tells the story of the seemingly perfect couple, Kyle and Hannah. Of course there is no such thing as a perfect couple and when Hannah goes missing, the police suspect foul play by Kyle.

He is adamant he knows nothing of her whereabouts and even leads a campaign to fi
Angel Martin
This was a dark, suspenseful book, but it was difficult to put down. Each chapter left me wanting to know more. The book is told from multiple perspectives, which definitely caught my attention immediately.

The book covers some dark topics, including domestic abuse. I've read a few books that include this, but this one was probably the best one. Several of the others I've read have had insensitive remarks, but this one didn't. I really liked how McClelland handled the topic.

The entire book was ex
Adriana Barros
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Under your skin it's an amazing story full of surprises. Kept me hooked since page one. I highly recommend this book that you can read in one day! Thank you Rose ! ...more
Claire Davis
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Trigger warning: domestic violence, some sexual scenes and swear words

I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I have given Under Your Skin by Rose McClelland five out of five stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This book had me engrossed right from the very start that I managed to read it within one day. I find mystery thrillers so fascinating and they always manage to draw me into the story, especially when authors, just like Rose McClelland, are extremely good at writing and able to keep the reader
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Close to Home (Nolon King Book 2)
  • The Perfect Death (Brannon House #1)
  • Secrets We Keep (The Bright Lights, Dark Secrets Collection, #1)
  • One Little Mistake (Reilly Steel #1)
  • The Stepsister
  • Her Worst Mistake (Rosemary Run, #6)
  • Hideaway
  • Coming Home (Detective Dahlia, #1)
  • Lost And Found (North and Martin Abduction Mystery, #3)
  • Behind The Pretty Pink Door
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • Shocking Confessions (Detective Jericho, #7)
  • Nemesis (Badge and the Pen, #1)
  • After Me (Kate Sawyer #1)
  • Unholy Ground (Serenity's Plain Secrets #7)
  • Forgotten Evidence (Goodlove and Shek #4)
  • The Bellhop Only Stalks Once
  • The Girl in the Woods
Rose has written five novels and two short plays.

Her fourth novel "Under Your Skin" became an Amazon No. 1 Bestseller in UK and USA/ Canada. It achieved the following awards:

* Best Books of 2020 in Belfast Telegraph (7 Dec 20).

* Arts Council NI Best Books of 2020 (8 Dec 20).

* Best Books of 2020 - Book Blogger Emily Quinn (A Quintillion Words)

* My Favourite Reads of 2020 - Book Blogger - Nicki's Li