Start by marking “The Third Lynx (Quadrail, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Third Lynx (Quadrail, #2)

The Third Lynx

(Quadrail #2)

Former government agent Frank Compton foiled a plot to enslave the galaxy in Night Train to Rigel. But the Modhri, an ancient telepathically linked intelligence, has walkers, unwilling hosts that can be anywhere, anything…and anyone. And Compton is the only man who knows how to fight them, as they wage a secret war against the galactic civilizations linked by the Quadrail, ...more
Published October 30th 2007 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Third Lynx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Lynx

Start your review of The Third Lynx (Quadrail, #2)
HBalikov
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Frank Compton, the best trouble-shooter/private eye in the known universe, is at it again. Again, that is, for those of you who are already on the Quadrail train. As for me, I’m a trouble-creator since I acted by impulse in pulling Odd Girl Out off the shelf at the local library and couldn’t put it down. And, because I was captured by Zahn’s storytelling, I read books 4 and 5.

I let the itch fester for a while and then decided that I had to read where it all began, Night Train to Rigel -
Jesse Whitehead
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it
The Third Lynx is actually the second book in Zahn’s Quadrail series. It took me a long time to get around to reading this book because I didn’t really care for the first one. Night Train to Rigel had an interesting premise but kind of spent too much time explaining things to be really exciting.

The Third Lynx has stepped it up a notch, mostly because the setup has been done already and now we can get to the fun stuff. The fun stuff is what Zahn does best: interesting aliens used in surprising
Barbara Sheppard
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First off I have to say that I learned something new today. This book is referred to as a space opera.
"Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes space warfare, melodramatic adventure, interplanetary battles, chivalric romance, and risk-taking. Set mainly or entirely in outer space, it usually involves conflict between opponents possessing advanced abilities, futuristic weapons, and other sophisticated technology."

I read Night Train to Rigel and really enjoyed it so decided to
John
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, crime, series, 4-star, 2019
I'm enjoying this series. One quibble is that even after the reveal I don't feel like all the pieces were out there. It is less fun if there is no chance of me figuring it out on my own.
Dan
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: signal
This book is an elaborate series of mind games. Basically the way the book works is, the bad guys do X, and then the main character says, "Aha! They did X, because apparently they want Y. But that's actually a cunning misdirection, see, because they would want Z more than Y, and if we respond to X with A then they can do B. So we should pretend to do C, but then actually do D at the last minute." And the amazing thing is he's always exactly right.

I dunno. These sort of mind games always bother
Lynne
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Another good offering from Timothy Zahn, this second in the Quadrail series is as good as the first, and adds several new twists to the ongoing story. The bad guy is not Frank Compton's only problem in book 2; he keeps adding people who really don't like him to the list of problems he has to overcome. He and Bayta have quite a few setbacks that take them all over the place in this one. I really like Zahn's concept of the Quadrail - travel the galaxy by train, no fuss or muss unless you're Frank ...more
Benjamin Espen
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This cover is my favorite of the whole series. The first volume I bought was a reprint in ebook form; it has a stylized cover with a man carrying an MP5K, or something much like it. It could easily be the cover for a Tom Clancy-style espionage action book. It isn't bad, but I don't love it as much as I do Mark Zug's cover art for The Third Lynx.

Frank Compton looks wily and self-assured here. I feel like Zug nailed his personality. Bayta, his assistant and liaison with the Spiders who run the
Matt
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-again
I did not review the first Quadrail book, mainly because I was lazy. These are the first Timothy Zahn books I've read outside of the Star Wars universe. I'll admit that it took me a little bit to get into these books. However, The Third Lynx has sufficiently pulled me in. In fact I feel like I should go back and re-read Night Train to Rigel. I feel like Zahn definitely takes a different approach with the Modhri in this book. The Modhri seems more calculated and cunning, like a Bond villain, ...more
Jules
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
2.5 - The minor characters were all less interesting (and more annoying) than in the first installment. The plot seemed to be a bit more scattered, with Frank doing what felt like even more guesswork. I wasn't too impressed with the depiction of the antagonist this round, but then again, I woke up to a nightmare of creepy people chasing me last night, sooo. Bayta seemed to be mostly scenery/a plot device that was sometimes able to relay information, without any momentum of her own. Morse was ...more
Filip
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, sf
Definitely better than the previous volume. The characters are more enjoyable and more three-dimensional, the plot, while convoluted is really enjoyable and while the contant being kidnapped and rescued may get a bit tiresome at the end, it is still quite interesting and reaches a satisfying conclusion.

And I didn't see the final two plot twists coming
Bill Bowne
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable, good characterizations, and interesting concepts. H ow DOES one fight against a telepathic group mind that can control pawns' bodies without their being cognizant of the thralldom?

Happy I had a quiet day (sometimes allergies DO have a 'good' side) that I could devote to reading!
Susan
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded to 4

This one took me a while to get involved with it, but once I did it was face paced with plenty of plot twists. I'll be continuing on with the next one in the series. I enjoyed watching Frank and Bayta's relationship changing, and am curious to see where Zahn takes them as the series goes on.
Brian Peterson
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is turning out to be a reasonably pleasant pulp sci-fi detective series. The plots are amusing enough and reasonably engaging, but it doesn't require a lot of work. Perfect for short reading periods while riding commuter rail, in my case, which is a simple coincidence on the Quadrail theme.
Michael Pritchett
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Better than the first book in the series for me.
Alice
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Great intragalactic fun.
Margaret Boling
4/22/2018 ~~ Interesting world-building, plot, and mystery. Very poor characterization. I may read book #3 in the series.
Steve
These quadrail books may be space operas, but they are action-packed and entertaining, leaving the reader eager for more.
Dario
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun read in this series - I'm really digging the "sci-fi noir" genre that Zahn's writing in for this.
Scott Wozniak
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Solid Sci-Fi Mystery

The adventure continues with another mystery/spy adventure set in a sci-fi journey. Strong writing and clever plotting. I’ll read the next one.
Pat Beard
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nearly as good as the first in the series - missed the movies though. Just as fast paced. There for a while I thought the entire cast of characters were going to end up hating Frank.
Joe Jungers
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, espionage, p-i
More adventures of Frank & Bayta.
Grant
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun read, mixing classic mystery ala Hitchcock with sci-fi.
Katie Stanley
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book introduced me to the series, and I immediately was swept away into story. Another science fiction gem from Timothy Zahn
Julian
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Great old fashioned mystery in a sci-fi setting.
Soo
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Frank and Bayta are approached by a well clad stranger for assistance on a private matter. Due to prior plans, Frank declines the offer and puts the encounter out of his mind. Matters become more serious when the stranger is found dead and an ESS Agent declares Frank to be the prime suspect of the murder. Frank and Bayta crisscross galaxies as events snowball into a race against the enemy for answers.

I'm sad to say that book two was not better than book one. I had minor expectations of character
Mike
You need to read the first one to understand this one at all. Well, I guess not really, but it wouldn't be anywhere as good if you skipped the first one. ALso, much as I'd like to keep this spoiler free for the first book, I can't, so if you're going to read Last Train To Rigel don't continue reading this.
I really like this series. He has taken a very simple concept "There's a train that moves through space and which has sensors on it to keep weapons off, thus ensuring peace throughout the
John Loyd
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Third Lynx (2007) 332 pages by Timothy Zahn

This is a sequel to Night Train to Rigel. I can't say too much about the plot of this book without putting you about two thirds the way through the first book. This was great, fast paced. The protagonist, Frank Compton, is ex-military/secret service type who got kicked of that because he opposed (and exposed) the Yandro project.

The galaxy is inhabited by a dozen sentient species. The movement between systems is done by quadrail, a system leftover
Jim
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
This second book moved faster than its predecessor. As with the first book, it is a bit contrived, in the sense that the main character always figures things out correctly, his logic is always infallible.

The series has an enemy that is unknown to all, and those that know about this enemy cannot disclose too much. The enemy also does not wish to be known, so as to continue his galactic takeover. The primary SF gimmick is a space-fairing subway, and much of the story is there. Because no weapons
Bryan Thomas Schmidt
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this thoroughly. Full of tension and suspense like its' predecessor, Lynx finds Frank Compton chasing another mystery involving the Modhri group mind, the Spiders and the Chahwyn. In the midst of it, he falls in love with the woman he's struggling to protect, comes into conflict with a federal agent, and finds his life once again on the line.

These books are Timothy Zahn at his best: fast-paced action, political intrigue, well drawn characters, and interesting science. Here he's created
William Bentrim
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Third Lynx by Timothy Zahn

Frank Compton, our government whistle blower is back. He has discovered who he really works for and continues his campaign against the Modhri.

The concept of the Quadrail and it’s interconnection of galactic empires is an excellent basis for the series plot. Frank Compton’s co-opting of his employer’s prerogatives and his outspoken and conspicuous behavior gets him into trouble, again.

There is an evolving, albeit glacially slow, relationship with Bayta. Bayta as
« previous 1 3 next »

• Octavia Gone (Alex Benedict, #8)
  • Invader (Foreigner, #2)
  • Crescent Calling (The Crescent Witch Chronicles #1)
  • First Encounter
  • Medusa Uploaded (The Medusa Cycle, #1)
  • Triple Zero  (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #2)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • My Gun Is Quick
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Captain Cook
  • Circus
  • Hard Contact (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #1)
  • Inheritor (Foreigner, #3)
  • To Clear Away The Shadows (RCN, #13)
  • Stealing Light (The Shoal Sequence, #1)
  • Planet Killer (Star Kingdom #6)
  • Precursor (Foreigner, #4)
  • Honor Among Thieves (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #2)
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he ...more

Quadrail (5 books)
  • Night Train to Rigel (Quadrail, #1)
  • Odd Girl Out (Quadrail, #3)
  • The Domino Pattern (Quadrail, #4)
  • Judgment at Proteus (Quadrail, #5)