Start by marking “The Earl's Winning Wager (Lords for the Sisters of Sussex #2)” as Want to Read:
The Earl's Winning Wager  (Lords for the Sisters of Sussex #2)

The Earl's Winning Wager

(Lords for the Sisters of Sussex #2)

Miss Standish in none too pleased to have become the responsibility of yet another Lord, even if he is full of charm and goodness. Her responsibilities are to her sisters first.

With the repairs on the castle moving forward nicely and concerted efforts in a se
Kindle Edition
Published May 1st 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Earl's Winning Wager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earl's Winning Wager

Start your review of The Earl's Winning Wager (Lords for the Sisters of Sussex #2)
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
This is a sweet Regency romance that kept me entertained as Morley generously cares for the castle and Standish sisters, while June tries to resist falling in love with him. Morley reminded me of Laurie from Little Women where he can't help but cherish the familial closeness and the way he feels a part of their sisterhood- but as an honorary brother. He's a true gentleman and even though June resents that he feels responsible for them, she also appreciates all he has done to bring them back into ...more
Mara
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The next book in the Lords for the Sisters of Sussex series. Lord Morley wins an estate in a game of cards with his best friend, the Duke of Granbury. The estate also comes with the responsibility of the five Standish sisters who are of royal blood but because of the rules of heredity they've been living in a drafty cottage and relying on the kindness of others for several years. Morley wonders what Gerald was thinking when his let him win that card game?

Poor Lord Morley. He seemed surprised by
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely sweet, romantic, and charming! Whenever I picked up “The Earl’s Winning Wager”, I was whisked away waltzing back in time to the Regency Era, and went on an amazing journey. ⁣

This is the second book in Ms. Johnson’s “Lords for the Sisters of Sussex” series, but I believe it can be read as a stand alone as well (this is the first book in this series I have read, and I can’t wait to go back and read the first one!). Ms. Johnson truly knows how to bring the past to life, and
Crystal (Books Are Sanity!!!)
I started reading this book as soon as I finished the first book in the series (you can read each as a stand alone). I loved reading Lord Morley's story! To win an estate with a castle and five sisters to take care of in a hand of cards? And one of those women you happen to have a fancy for? This story was so easy to read and I loved the Standish sisters! June was an endearing character as she acted as a mother to her older sisters and cared for their happiness above her own. The renovations to ...more
Katie W
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Delightfully charming

I've never been a gambler, but can you imagine instead of just winning money or an estate or something, you win a gaggle of sisters to go along with it? That's what happened to Lord Morley and I must say, he was quite a trooper to handle things so gallantly.

Lord Morley and Miss Standish both had a delightfully charming and easy demeanors. They were both very likable and had the best interests of the rest of the sisters close to their hearts. At times, I almost felt a Twel
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
What a sweet story! Lord Morley and Miss Standish were perfectly suited for each other and were both kind, good people. They were easy to like and easy to root for. I think one of the the things I loved best about Morley was the way he viewed June's sisters as his own. His care and concern for them was so endearing. I loved him for that alone. Well, and for his good manners. He felt like all that was gentlemanly and good.

I love this family of Standish sisters living in a castle! They all have p
Jamie Ann Bartlett
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly one of my favorite romance stories. June and Morley love each other from first meeting but are afraid to share their feelings. When a friend makes a move to place Morley in June's path it leads to a misunderstanding that throws their feelings into question.
The characters, plot, and setting were well thought out and portrayed in a way that I felt I was part of the story. I could picture each character and the places around then vividly.
Thanks Jen for another great novel!
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A winning wager can feel like a disaster! Lord Morley won an estate from his best friend in a game of cards. The estate comes with five sisters, one of whom Lord Morley is very interested in.

Miss Standish is devoted to her sisters. She wants to make sure they make good matches and is not worried about having a home and family of her own. Her hopes surge that she can find happiness until she finds out that Morley is her new landlord. She is fed up with how she and her sisters have been passed on
Karen
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. It is a sweet and easy read. I hadn't read the first one (The Duke's Second Chance), so I was a little lost on the relationship between Morley and Gerald, how Morley had met the Sisters before, and Morley and Amelia's relationship, but this story is an excellent read and can be read as a stand alone story. I loved it so much, that I went back and read The Duke's Second Chance. The character development is perfect. I loved getting to know Morley and his reluctance to fall in l ...more
Maria Thomas
Sweet, clean regency romance.

I hoped to love this one as much as a the first in the series but book 1 still holds my heart. Still, this is a nice read. There were parts of the book that felt odd since I'm used to the Ton looking down their noses at those that have fallen in fortune and these sisters are befriended by women who didn't have to show any attention at all. However, their attentions are kind of a competition to see who can be the most benevolent. The sisters are very gracious and tha
Melissa Hayford
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story. I love Morley and June. They are such wonderful people. This book can be read as a stand alone, but I highly recommend reading The Duke's Second Chance first to get the whole story. The Standish sisters are so much fun. I can't wait to read their stories. This was such a fun story to read with a lot of different emotions. I kind of wish there had been an epilogue, but that would probably ruin the series, so I will have to wait for the next book to see how things turned out.
Keri Loverofbooks
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to be able to read this book and am now on the hunt for the first book in the series. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and felt as if I was right in the middle of it, in my minds eye. Very well written and very sweet. I do look forward to reading the books to follow and to see what will unfold.
Elda
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a story almost as old as time. Does she love me? Does he love me? Is it just my imagination? False hope? The difference in this book is Ms Johnson’s delivery. An easygoing cadence with some anticipation at the results. And when all is said and done you are left with a smile on your face at the wonderful HEA. Highly recommended.
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully set in the Regency period, this story
leaves you with a that "warm fuzzy" feeling you get with a new love, the love of family and most importantly loyalty to those we love!
Stacey
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
This is the second book in the series and I really enjoyed it. It was in some ways, quite fast paced and the character development is different to how the author usually writes, however, we were introduced to all of the characters in the first book, so I definitely recommend reading that before this one if you can, since it helps to build on the characters personalities.

I really enjoyed Lord Morley’s character in the first story so I was looking forward to reading this one. There is a bit of su
Cathy
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this kind of book. It’s a quick, easy read. There are great characters that we’ve met before (make sure to read The Duke’s Second Chance first), and a great love story that will draw you in.

I loved June in this one. She’s the oldest of five sisters. One thing I really loved about her was the way she was unconcerned about herself. She wants to make sure that all of her sisters are married, even if she herself ends up alone.

Then there’s Morley. He won the care of the Sisters of Sussex and t
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super cute book with a clean regency romance. It will be fun to read each of the sisters’ stories as this series continues! June is a great heroine because she is strong but caring. Morley is a great hero because he is noble but timid in love.
Jessica

Review: As I neared the end, I realized this book reads just a bit like a novella, which elevates my opinion of it. It is an exceptionally quick read, which backs up that feel. Also, there is very little conflict to resolve or character development, and what does happen throughout, happens rather quickly. Some parts of the book left me frustrated, as a character couldn’t seem to make up his/her mind. Mostly I just wanted to see things fleshed out a little more. However, other parts of the book w
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
3.5 Stars

THE EARL'S WINNING WAGER is a story of instant attraction, family, friendship, and romance. Set in Brighton, with the ton visiting and a family of sisters moving from being impoverished to among society, makes for a sweet romance with twists and a few conniving characters to mix things up. Recommended to those who enjoy this author and series, and light, sweet historical romance.

I really liked this family of sisters. They each had their own personalities with their own faults, talents,
Nancy
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an enjoyable second book in this regency series: Lords for the Sisters of Sussex. The five sisters were introduced in the first book, "The Duke's Second Chance" which kicked off the series. Gerald, Duke of Granbury had inherited the responsibility for the family's crumbling ancestral castle and the care of the five orphan sisters in book one. This second book starts off as the Duke of Granbury loses a game of cards to his good friend Lord Morley. The unexpected wager was the land and the ca ...more
Amy
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
June Standish and her four younger sisters live in a precarious time, especially for women. As women they cannot inherit so their lives and property are placed in the hands of men they do not know, who sometimes gamble them away. Their whole future and comfort depend on these guardians. They have no wealth, yet they have a royal background.

I enjoyed this story of sisters as they must maneuver with the ton and try to make the best of things. They are now living in their ancestral home- a castle o
Abigail Harris
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I happened to lose my copy of this ... Found it a week later in the van, I had put it under my seat, oops!

Wellllllll, I finally sat down and read the rest of the book listening to the waves at the beach ... It was quite a relaxing read after having something of a reading slump.

I liked the romance and the sisters relationship was one that I love.

I wasn't sure of Morley at first and didn't know what to think of him until halfway through the book and I found that I did liked him and he just didn't
Julia
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Five sisters in this winning wager.

A card game to remember.!

Lord Morley, did wonder at later date, if the Earl had deliberately lost to him at that most memorable game.

There seemed no other reason, that Lord Morley could now be the owner of a castle and guardian of FIVE sisters. (Jane Austen)

June the eldest of five girls has her hands full,
there is just so much to do, with four others relying on her.
Marriage and a life of her own, It is not on the close horizon.
There is a lot for these to hero'
⭐Richelle
Romance - Sweet and Clean
Language - None
Violence - None
Recommendation - High
Series - Book 2 (There is a prequel novella to this series also)

I loved this book! I was just going to start it at bedtime, and ended up staying up reading the entire book because I could not put it down. It's THAT good!

I have to admit, my favorite character is our Hero, Lord Morley. He is so good and so kind, everything you expect our leading man to be. The way he seems to adopt all of the girls and comes to look upon
Suzie Waltner
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Jen Geigle Johnson once again throws a little twist into the Regency aristocratic romance. This time, there are five sisters with a royal bloodline and no livelihood other than the charity bestowed on them.

I enjoyed getting to know the sisters and their unique personalities. And I sincerely hope each of them gets her own story.

Overall, The Earl’s Winning Wager is a sweet, easy-paced romance without a lot of conflict, other than will they or won’t they get together. But sometimes, that’
Andrea
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Delightful HEA!

My goodness! Morley certainly won a handful, very well planned out by the Duke of course. 😉
I loved reading this story.
I did not like Smallwood, Annabelle, or Lady Morley even a little bit. I knew they were up to something. I liked seeing how it all played out. June is a wonderful, selfless woman. She deserves happiness. I don't normally give spoilers but I think my headline does.
Romance, schemes, gowns, picnics, a ball, a castle, and sisterly love are all part of this delightful
Lara
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Earl’s Winning Wager by Jen Geigle Johnson! The characters were wonderful. I enjoyed seeing so many characters from the previous book in the series and I look forward to seeing them in the following books. There was so much personality and depth to each character, so much caring and goodness, with a bit of opposition. Just a really great and fun, sweet, clean love story. And the ending was perfect. Except that it ended and I didn’t want it to end. But that’s the great thing about a s ...more
Suzy
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful continuation of this series. The changes Lord Morley made to change his life and learn to care for these five sisters was fun to experience. One never knows when those parental feels will appear. The sisters are wonderful, I can't wait to see what happens to them next. A sweet, clean story, I just want the next one.

I received a complimentary book(s) from publishers, publicists, and or authors. A review was not required and all opinions and ideas expressed are my own.
Happy Reading Watching
The Earl's Winning Wager: Clean Regency Romance (Lords for the Sisters of Sussex Book 2)

Really enjoy stories with sister relationships. This was a sweet clean Regency romance & another enjoyable fast read. The sisters were cute & the Earl was sweet⭐⭐⭐💫

Book synopsis:
"Lord Morley's life will change forever when he wins a game of cards and a family of sisters to go along with it.

« previous 1 3 next »

• Reforming Lord Neil (Inglewood #5)
  • A Forgiving Heart (Seasons of Change #2)
  • The Road Through Rushbury (Seasons of Change, #1)
  • The Ace of Hearts  (Larkhall Letters #1)
  • A Proper Charade
  • The Earl's Daughter: A Regency Romance (Regency Brides: A Promise of Love Book 4)
  • Emmeline (The Blue Orchid Society #0.5)
  • The Last Eligible Bachelor  (Seasons of Change Book, #3)
  • What a Spinster Wants (The Spinster Chronicles, #6)
  • Engaging Sir Isaac (Inglewood #4)
  • A Heart in the Balance
  • An Earl for Edith (A Wary Widower Romance #1)
  • The Jewels of Halstead Manor (Ladies of Devon Book 1)
  • A Fall from Grace
  • Rake on the Run (Scoundrels, Rakes and Rogues, #2)
  • A Farewell Kiss (Lockhart, #4)
  • Solving Sophronia (The Blue Orchid Society #1)
  • To Catch A Suitor (Dalton Family #2)
Jen Geigle Johnson once greeted an ancient turtle under the water by grabbing her fin. Other vital things to know: the sound a water-ski makes on glassy water and how to fall down steep moguls with grace. No mountain is too steep for her to climb, yet. During a study break date in college, she sat on top of a jeep's roll bars up in the mountains and fell in love. She discovered her passion for Eng ...more

Lords for the Sisters of Sussex (2 books)
  • The Duke's Second Chance (Lords for the Sisters of Sussex #1)