Start by marking “Crowning Soul (Heart of Noorenia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crowning Soul (Heart of Noorenia, #1)

Crowning Soul

(Heart of Noorenia #1)

Be swept away in this unique fantasy debut from Sahira Javaid. A spellbinding adventure of belonging, finding hope and where the price of a soul is another soul’s fate. Perfect for fans of InuYasha, Children of Blood and Bone and The Candle and The Flame.

Nezha Zaman considers her gift to control fire a dangerous secret. A secret that unravels when she encounters a vengeful
Published September 8th 2020 (first published August 9th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Crowning Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crowning Soul

Start your review of Crowning Soul (Heart of Noorenia, #1)
Fanna
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases
September 24, 2020: It feels so bad to say this is an average read. Maybe I expected a lot but I do think there were discrepancies that could have been easily reformed if an extensively technical editing was attempted, and this makes me even sadder.

Let's start with the best aspects: the culture is so beautifully represented, left right and centre, that it makes me extremely happy as a person of colour; the simple writing is so easy to dive into and feels so much at home in some parts that I alm
San
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to enjoy this book. From synopsis I thought that it would be such an amazing story and the cover is absolutely masterpiece but unfortunately I was disappointed. Maybe I was to excited about it and that's why it didn't meet my expectations but I had a really hard time reading it and I was confused a lot with the plot. There is so much happening in this book, I would say even that too much is happening and it's hard to understand all those things .

What I like about this book has Mu
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Aug 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This book started off well and good.

I was so hyped up regarding the main female protagonist and the myriad other fantastical characters and also that beautiful cover and the premise!

I guess I had expected too much from it.

I guess it's the writing that didn't work out for me.

Some parts gets too repetitive. And until 40 percent of the book I was groping for information and details about this fantastical world.

I find the character introductions and character development a bit haphazard.

I just cou
Andy
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-read, arc, own-ebook
I received an eARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

I was super excited for this one, but what I thought I was getting and what I got were two very different things. While I still did generally enjoy this story, it was way too long and wandering for my taste.

Crowning Soul revolves around Nezha Zaman who is a fire jawhar (elemental). When a shadow jinni threatens Nezha and hurts her family, her life begins to unravel. Simultaneously, in Noorenia (a paralle
Anubha (BooksFullOfLife, LifeFullOfBooks)
To be honest, this book was an average read compared to the other books Ive read recently, but it presents a different culture and ethnic representation so if anyone is interested in reading diverse book they can pick it up!
Mridula Gupta
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Really can't get over the sloppy writing. While the cultural aspects were done with authenticity, the characters and story arc went hay-wire. Expected so much from this one. ...more
em/zainab
May 01, 2020 marked it as dnf
dnf @ 50%

i can't go on. its confusing and i don't quite understand what's going on.

*review of sorts coming soon*
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
I am so sad to say that this book was disappointing for me and not what I was expecting, based on the synopsis and hype I was so eager to read this, but I found it so hard going , it was just an effort to get through this. It felt just unrealistic, in a not relatable way, overly far fetched ! Dialogue didn’t feel natural and was actually cheesy at times. It just wasn’t for me at all.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Alex
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 7-8-and-9
Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of Crowing Soul in exchange for an honest review.

I wish i'd loved this book. Full of just about every mythical creature you can think of and featuring a muslim lead in a genre where it's normally challenging to even find a muslim side character, Crowning Soul is incredible on paper. The plot and world are detailed and unique and it has a mythos all of its own but unfortunately, this book is just trying to be too much.

Crowning Souls felt like watching
Alexx
May 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anticipated-2020
I saw Inuyasha in the synopsis and I'm sold. And also, that is one gorgeous cover! Look at it! I can't wait to read this one!

Find me elsewhere: Blog | Instagram | Twitter
ash ♡
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF @ 20%

Everything from the stunning cover to the powerful premise of Crowning Souls made me want to love this book so much, which is why I’m so sad to say that it did not meet my expectations.

I had to DNF this book at 25% because I simply did not understand what was going on, and couldn’t find myself caring for the characters or confusing plot. While I went into Crowning Soul excitedly awaiting a powerful main character and lush worldbuilding, I found myself having a lot of trouble following t
beth {hiatus} F.
DNF @ 15%

I really tried with this book. I love the culture representation and the characters I met were charming. Something either about the prose or the story was the most confusing part. I couldn't understand what was happening with the fantasy part of this. Because of that, I didn't feel any pull to read this. I was actually dreading reading it because I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. I may try to read this again later, but that depends on then.

Also, whoever created this cover is a genius. It real
Sahira Javaid
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Update September 29 2020:

The ARC and the FINAL will be drastically different. The final also has fewer pages.

UPDATE

There were technical difficulties when uploading the book, so it did not show up on Amazon today. I'm so sorry. I'm hoping the issue will be resolved and Crowning Soul will be available online soon.

Also the final book did go through edits, so the ARC and the final will be different.

Thank you for all your encouragement and patience. I hope the book of my heart and soul will be o
arwen
Aug 01, 2020 rated it liked it
2,75/5
Nezha is a young girl with a secret: she has the power to control fire. After the mysterious death of her aunt, she is transported to another dimension. With the help of two unicorns, she must find and gather the pieces of an angel's soul and eventually confront the evil jinn who may be responsible for her aunt’s death.
I really wanted to get hyped by this book. It has everything I wanted : a strong female character, a found family and magic. But I guess Crowning Soul wasn’t for me.
I DNF’ed
zaheerah
Sep 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Incoming a torpedo of spelling mistakes. I don't plan on posting this on my blog and I would like to forget this book asap. I apologise for this ramble of a rant. I usually hate writing extremely negative reviews as I would prefer not to post them. But I gave this the exception because I don't plan on editing the mess below. So what you're reading is literally my thoughts that I wrote in my phone as I read along. This book is a mess, but the potential was SO there and it made me so upset. I was ...more
vatana 🤡 who is bad at reading
the cover's cool, and that's probably the most beautiful sword i've ever seen, so i'm in. ...more
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Jun 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
so . . . firebending, right?
K.V. Wilson
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
Exciting

Some people might expect a generalized young-adult fantasy. What you get with Crowning Soul is unique--it's a look into the vibrant culture of Morocco plus that of a fantasy world called Noorenia.
Fans of InuYasha and other fantasy-style animes will love this book. Those that are unfamiliar with the genre may be disappointed, as it does take some getting used to. So, expect angels that shapeshift into unicorns; a housecat that stays by the protagonist's side despite the danger; and tons o
Salma19 (High Lady of the Dawn Court)
DNF’ed at 15%

Thank you very much, NetGalley for providing me an ARC before release! I was so happy once I knew I'd access it.

I’m so sad about it, but I prefer to let it go than getting through it, knowing that it’s not what I am looking for.

To start on a positive note, I love how the author incorporates Moroccan and Pakistani cultures. The sentences in darija warmed my heart 💕.

The beginning really reminded me of The City of Brass, plus that book is of the author’s favorites. I can see where the
Fatirah Murtaza
I had a high expectation of this book but it kinda flopped. Crowning Soul could be a high potential book if not for its messy plot and writing. Maybe this is her debut novel after all? I just hope she will improve her writing or maybe find some critic readers before getting it published. As a side note, I really love the Muslim representation and diverse cultures from this book so maybe it is not a bad read after all. Thank you NetGalley for the e-arc
Violet Stone
Even though I'm giving this book two stars I have nothing negative to say. This was a solid idea, just not as a YA. At least, not the way it was executed.

The book itself was about Nezha finding orbs and restoring the Angel's soul. The way it was written was almost each chapter was discovering an orb and securing it without much trouble really. It felt more episodic than an actual book.

Now, I think if this was marketed towards a younger audience it would do better. Take the concept, simplify it a
Mis Hashmi
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review via Netgalley.

I had several reasons to like this book a lot. The unapologetic showcase of Muslim culture, the decadent descriptions of food, the wonder-inducing sense of adventure and the representation of various countries and cultures (the Pakistani culture and language in particular was really interesting for me since, as an Indian Muslim, a lot of my culture overlaps with it).

However, despite the very prominent and heartwar
Delaney 🏳️‍🌈
Thank you Net Galley for the ARC of Crowning Soul be Sahira Javaid. I give this book 2/5 stars. The summary of this book was very exciting and I was so excited to read this book, but it just fell flat. The world building seemed very weak to me and the characters seemed very 1 dimensional. The other issue I had was that the writing just seemed choppy. This book had a very promising concept but lacked the elements needed to follow through on the concept. I think I would try a book by Shaira Javaid ...more
Anandi Puritipati
The Crowning Soul is a young adult portal fantasy that features a main character who is moroccan and punjabi, and it’s essentially an adventure/quest kind of story where the main character must collect pieces of this “soul” of an angel so she can resurrect him. She’s got a big bad villain who isn’t a bad person as much as he is the consequence of his circumstances. As she goes on this adventure, she makes friends, finds love, yada yada yada. You know how these things usually go, now.

From what l
Fazila
Sep 30, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
Check out the full review on my website. CLICK HERE

FOLLOW ME ON : TWITTER INSTAGRAM

FR REVIEW :

DISCLAIMER : Thank you, Netgalley and Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles for providing me with an ARC of this book. I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Crowning Soul is the debut fantasy book from the author Sahira Javaid. It is the first book in the series by the name Heart of Noorenia. When I saw the blurb mentioning the book being perfect
Reece
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
ARC from NetGalley

DNF at 24%

I don't normally like to rate books that I don't finish, but I got about 1/4 of the way through this, so I feel semi okay about it. This is a generous 2 stars for the first quarter of the book.

This is not a YA book. This is firmly middle grade. I should have suspected as much just from the map at the front of the book, which includes such gems as:
Unicorn Valley
Mount Frostbite
Mermaid Island
Phoenix Matrix
Fairy Flower Fields

Like several others, I found the cultural refer
Amanda Carreiro
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
I did finish the book. It needed a lot of edits and tightening up. The writer clearly has talent, especially with descriptions, small details, and the sense of what makes a good hero's journey and backstory, but the execution was poor and writing style weak. I feel if this book was revised and condensed a few more times it would have been something special.

I'm fine with the world not being explained every step of the way to the reader, but there were some things I had no basis of comparison for
Amy Walker  - Trans-Scribe Reviews
Crowning Soul already ticked a number of boxes for me before I picked it up, it's an own voices fantasy book with a female Muslim lead, with an alternate world filled with magic and amazing creatures inspired by cultures not always given a spotlight in the genre, and the cover is just gorgeous. I was set to really enjoy this book, and was so excited to read it; so I'm so disappointed that I just couldn't enjoy it at all.

The story starts by introducing readers to our main hero, Nezah, a young wom
Maya the Bookworm
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, arc, e-book, dnf
Check out this review and more on my blog, Maya’s Reviews.

Thank you to the author/publisher for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

~Quick Statistics~
Overall: 2.5/5 Stars
Plot: 2/5 Stars
Setting: 1/5 Stars
Characters: 1/5 Stars
Writing: 1.5/5 Stars
Memorability: 2/5 Stars

~Quick Review~
I’ll start off by saying that I really wanted to like this novel. It looked so good, and I could not wait to read it. Unfortunately, I had to DNF the novel before I even reached the ha
Misa
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I have to be honest with you, the second star was for the cover which is stunning.
I could not finish this book like I really struggled to arrive at the 10th chapter then I gave up.
I do respect the efforts of the author for trying to create a new muslim fantasy genre story but it wasn't a success. I didn't like this book mainly for the plot and the main character . I've got confused so ma
« previous 1 3 next »

• Crowned A Traitor (A Hellish Fairytale, #1)
  • The Cup and The Prince (Kingdom of Curses and Shadows #1)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • Cheer Up: Love and Pompoms
  • A Very Large Expanse of Sea
  • Brambles (Dauntless Path, #0.5)
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • Ritu Weds Chandni
  • The Conductors
  • Quincredible Vol. 1: Quest to Be the Best!
  • Hunted by the Sky (The Wrath of Ambar, #1)
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • The Conjurer (The Vine Witch #3)
  • Delicates (Sheets, #2)
  • The Couple Next Door
  • The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
  • Firefrost (Flameskin Chronicles)
  • Tempest Cursed: A Wuthering Heights Retelling

Heart of Noorenia (2 books)
  • Crowning Essence (Heart Of Noorenia #2)