Start by marking “Keeping a Rendezvous” as Want to Read:
Keeping a Rendezvous

Keeping a Rendezvous

When he stands before Giorgione's La Tempesta, John Berger sees not only the painting but our whole notion of time, sweeping us away from a lost Eden. A photograph of a gravely joyful crowd gathered on a Prague street in November 1989 provokes reflection on the meaning of democracy and the reunion of a people with long-banished hopes and dreams.

With the luminous essays in
Published October 27th 1992 by Vintage (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping a Rendezvous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping a Rendezvous

Start your review of Keeping a Rendezvous
Lobstergirl
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, art

There was a lot of chaff here that didn't interest me. What did: an essay on Spanish painting ("A Story for Aesop"), one on Lee Krasner and Jackson Pollock; one on Zurburan ("A Household").
Sam Johnson
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. I like Bergers voice; he is consistent across topics and content areas, but also allows himself to go on some tangents. I read this during a busy part of my work year, so it was convenient to have all the different "vignette" style sections that didn't require long, continuous reading sessions. Berger exposed me to a lot that I had not heard of before, gave insight on some artists I did now, and provided depth on a few I'd already read quite a bit on. I especially liked ...more
James
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recently I was looking in the public library for John Berger’s “Ways of Seeing,” and was surprised it wasn’t there, so I checked out this Berger essay collection instead. Here Berger writes on a number of topics, including art criticism, the changes in Eastern Europe in 1989, the arts of writing and photography, the personality of the city of Paris, evolution and the ape/human connection, and the nature of travel, geography, and place.

Though I found a few passages a little hard to follow, most o
Ruth
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I bought this book in 1993. When I found it recently, I realized I'd never read it. I think it would have made sense to buy a book with a single theme, rather than a collection of essays on disparate themes. Some of these essays are wonderful, and I'm glad I finally read them. Berger's insights into Renoir blew my mind. His short elegy on the miner's strike was beautiful. It's obvious that I bought this in a period when I actually purchased any book that caught my eye. Self, this is why there ar ...more
Milton Brasher-Cunningham
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I know a little about art and art history, but not much, so why books by an art critic move me so much is a wonderful surprise every time I read something by John Berger--and I am trying to find every word he put to page.

I think it is that he talks so much about seeing: about what we learn when we pay attention. And he has paid attention all of his ninety years. I hope there are more books of his still to find. If not, I have mine to reread.
Susan
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, essays
This collections contains two astounding essays that reverberate in my memory. The first is about "shovelling shit" in the countryside and the philosophical implications of that profound activity, and the second is about Aesop and a painting of Aesop that unites both in an astounding commentary on voice and art and story.
Jessica
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Book of essays that I had mixed feelings about. Some were totally enthralling (ape theatre- apes vs. humans, Darwinism vs. creationism) and some I couldn't even get through. A good writer who has strong ideas and powerful language.
Blair
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm sure I'll say this again somewhere in my reviews, but read any John Berger you can. He's fantastic. (Seminal work: Ways Of Seeing)
Eva B.
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
bellissimo. Berger intelligentissimo, coltissimo, grande spiritualità. superlativo
Parul Katyal
Aug 09, 2018
Xi
May 16, 2013
Charlotte
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in art and art criticism.
Nice writing, and really interesting.
Stephen

• Los sorrentinos
  • Estás muy callada hoy
  • La hermana menor: Un retrato de Silvina Ocampo
  • Rip it Up and Start Again
John Peter Berger was an English art critic, novelist, painter and author. His novel G. won the 1972 Booker Prize, and his essay on art criticism Ways of Seeing, written as an accompaniment to a BBC series, is often used as a college text.

Later he was self exiled to continental Europe, living between the french Alps in summer and the suburbs of Paris in winter. Since then, his production has incre

Related Articles

“When we read a story, we inhabit it. The covers of the book are like a roof and four walls. What is to happen next will take place within the four walls of the story. And this is possible because the story's voice makes everything its own.” 1665 likes
“The poverty of our century is unlike that of any other. It is not, as poverty was before, the result of natural scarcity, but of a set of priorities imposed upon the rest of the world by the rich. Consequently, the modern poor are not pitied...but written off as trash. The twentieth-century consumer economy has produced the first culture for which as beggar is a reminder of nothing.” 69 likes