Start by marking “Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl” as Want to Read:
Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl

Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl

Think your words might not matter? Think again.

Words have the power to change lives, especially when they are used to create meaningful stories. In this collection of letters, bookish fangirl Laura A. Grace addresses topics related to every writer’s journey. From “character conversations,” to embracing one’s unique writing style, to celebrating a release day—there is a let
Published December 3rd 2019 by Unicorn Quester Books, LLC (first published December 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Author, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Author

Start your review of Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
Deborah O'Carroll
This short and sweet little book (the first book from Laura A. Grace!) is such a lovely, inspiring read! It consists of fifteen letters from a bookish “fangirl” and is written to writers and authors.

As a reader, I related to the fangirl’s point of view in loving books and appreciating the authors who write them.

As a writer, it was inspirational and encouraging. I imagine it would be more-so for published authors, but even as a writer who aspires to publish someday, it still resonated with me. ^_
Katie  Hanna
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet and gentle and encouraging and makes every author feel like they matter. I may or may not have teared up in a few places. Highly recommended. <3 ...more
Angela Watts
OH. MY. WORD.

I LOVE THIS BOOK WITH MY WHOLE AUTHOR AND FANGIRL HEART.

The writing voice was SO sweet and fun to read. Everything was smooth, coherent, and PRECIOUS.

The last few letters really truly hit me hard, y'all. I've struggled recently in my writing: fighting doubts and fears, of being "good enough", of people "choosing" my novels, etc. Fears I know are "silly" but I still wrestle with them.

And these letters... ah! They were gentle, inspiring, and definitely the kind words I've been needing
R.M. Archer
This book was short, but no less effective for its length. Every letter was joyful and encouraging, and a pleasure to read. This is definitely an excellent read for any writer, but particularly those in a season of inspirational drought. Reading Dear Author rekindled my excitement to work on revising my NaNoWriMo novel!
Definitely worth the read, and almost guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
Elizabeth Dragina
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute and thoughtful!!! 💖 333

I want a fangirl like that. 😏💖
Rachel
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the sweetest little books I've read in a long time. It is exactly what the subtitle says: a collection of letters to unspecified authors by a woman who loves their books.

Because Grace never reveals what letter goes to what author, I felt like some of them were written to me. And that was incredibly encouraging. In fact, I saved this book to read when I dug back into rewrites on my current book after taking a hiatus in December. I'm so glad I did, because it really gave me a little
J.L. Mbewe
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laura A. Grace is one of the most caring, generous, and encouraging person I know. And a very passionate fangirl. She loves to cheer on other authors and fangirl over their books. She goes above and beyond. So it is no surprise when she announced the release of her book, Dear Author, Letters From a Bookish Fangirl. This book is exactly what the title says. A collection of letters Laura wrote to encourage authors. Each letter focuses on a theme such as "It's Done?", "Always Rereading", "Character ...more
Hannah Heath
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What I loved:
~ Such a sweet concept
~ Great writing style (energetic, fun, imaginative)
~ Encouraged me as an author
~ Made me feel seen as a reader
~ Adorable artwork

What I loved less:
~ N/A
Jane
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could rate this book more than five stars. It's so beautifully touching and I know I'll be picking it up again and again.

I loved the diversity of the letters! Some of them spoke to me, and really hit me where I am right now, but other letters will meet other authors at different stages of their journeys. And that's the beauty of this book. It's so encouraging, no matter what stage you're at.

This book made me cry and smile at the same time. I can't recommend it enough for all my writer/a
Elizabeth Rawls
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of letters from a fangirl to authors is an encouraging read, and bound to lift your spirits. Its a wonderful reminder as to why we write, especially when we're feeling down and struggling to write that next book. And the added illustrations make it all the more delightful! I will hold onto my copy for a rainy day, and pull it out when I need that boost of encouragement!

I received an ARC copy from the author. This is my honest review.
Verity Buchanan
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry.

Read it.

I am both the people in this book. I am the gushing, giddy fangirl who recommends my new fave to EVERY FLIPPING PERSON I CAN FIND and throws out scads of CAPS LOCK and emojis and exclamation points. And I am the author who lives for those messages, who's scared to believe that her words are worth a cent, who rereads every loving word from her readers with starstruck disbelief and treasures them in memory.

Sometimes, we writers need other writers to tell us we're not
J.E.
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and Encouraging

Just what I needed as an author in the middle of life's craziness. I recommend this to any author but particularly if you are struggling with writing at the moment.
Merie Shen
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is an inspiration for writers.
Ejayen
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is the best.
Adam Collings
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every author should read this book.
Being an author is hard. We all know it. There are times of discouragement. When the books are not selling, or impostor syndrome sets in, or we've just had a scathing review, or worse, we have no reviews. Discouragement may look different depending on what stage of our career we're currently at, but nobody is immune.

At times like these, we need Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl. In this book, Laura A Grace doesn't give us technical advice or tell us w
Tammy Lash
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a perfect little book. Encourager, helper, and friend, Laura is a BIG supporter of Indie and I feel she is an important part of the success of those who independentantly publish. If you don't know Laura, read her little book of letters to get a glimpse of the beautiful and supportive woman she is. I am an author and this book of heartfelt letters touched my heart. What a superb little gem. Her hard work shines in the gorgeous cover, pretty interior, and ADORABLE artwork. I love everything a ...more
V. Romas Burton
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolute joy to read. I found myself relating to each of these "fangirls," but, as an author, also hoping to receive any of these letters from a fan! Laura has written a beautiful piece that encourages authors and brings them together. I love her excitement for amazing stories and her ability to promote community over competition. I also would love to know which books made her write which letter! I'm excited for "Dear Author's" release and can't wait to purchase a copy!

*I receiv
Janeen Ippolito
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic boost of heartspresso for authors! Highly recommended for shortness, sweetness, authenticity, and genuine enthusiasm. ALL the stars!

Go here for full review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UskC...
Victoria Isabel
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t even express how beautiful and encouraging this book was! Every writer needs it on their shelf! 💖
MovieCritic
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
This was so sweet!

This collection was quick and easy to read but made my evening better, I feel like I am glowing with encouragement now!
CS Taylor
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
My overall review of Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl is a 4. This book had a lot of heart, a lot of soul, and a lot of wisdom. Its pages were filled with encouragement for authors that sometimes we're not even aware that we need. It's not all fluff and squealing, though there is quite a bit of that. But there is a subtle power in Grace's letters that lingers.

When Grace says in her introduction, "[a book] is a home-away-from-home," I don't know that she realized that her own book Dea
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it
I think the idea for this book is really neat, encouraging writers to write is great. The reason that I gave it three stars instead of five is that I don't think that the author was encouraging the readers to write for the right reasons.

I understand that this was written as coming from a "bookish fangirl" but I think that if you are going to effectively encourage writers you have to give them something more than what they will get from this.

Simply telling the reader that "your characters are g
Kara
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: got-review-copy
What a wonderful way to encourage authors from all different perspectives! Ms. Grace successfully shares her thoughts in these uplifting letters the emotions and struggles every reader has felt regarding their favorite writer. One of my favorite letters was You'll Publish Soon, I so relate to that one! The chapter, I'm Not Afraid to Bribe, made me smile. I totally understand the sentiments there without guilt or relenting! This book is short, but written wholeheartedly to encourage all types of ...more
Rand Reviews
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC of this book, and this is my honest review.

Bookish fangirls (and fanboys) everywhere, this book is for you! If you have every read and book and wanted to tell them how special they are, how much the book touched your very soul, and how much you enjoyed their story, this book is calling to you. From the very first letter to the last, Laura speaks not only to the authors she loves, but to the hearts of fangirls everywhere. The illustrations peppered between these letters of love
Selina R Gonzalez
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-indie-books
So fun and encouraging!

Authors and readers alike should read this! The illustrations are adorable and both the illustrations and the letters are so relatable as a reader. I chuckled a few times as I saw my own fangirl self in the letters. Also a good reminder not to keep my gushing to myself or ever feel bad about loving a book!

As an author, it's so encouraging! Full of little gems of encouragement and hope. Made me tear up so many times thinking about the possibility of someone loving my own st
E. Writes
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Laura A. Grace’s Dear Author is a collection of letters from her fangirl self to the authors that she admires, and in this way is sort of a “to every author, from their biggest fan” kind of thing.
It’s unique in the publishing world, as far as I know, and is aimed at being an encouragement and inspiration for any writer who needs to hear some “pick me ups” from an enthusiastic reader.

Reading through it makes me wish I knew which exact author Laura is targeting in some of her letters, because I’m
Selina
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
This was a beautifully arranged collection of letters spanning so many situations authors encounter at various stages of their careers. I loved reading what my readers might be thinking about my books and felt truly encouraged, especially with the final few letters, and I may or may not have cried a bit by the end. Writing is lonely, and so often it feels like shouting into the void.

This. This is something every writer needs on their desk, an emergency book for every terrible feeling and thought
Zimri A. Z. Zoran
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is immensely beautiful. I wish I could connect to it on more levels than I can, as I haven't actually published enough for anyone to notice and prepare the fancannons of hatred.

Even so, all jokes aside, it did make me emotional. I also longed to hammer the points home to all of my own writer friends, though they've all read and reviewed it already. I could definitely easily connect to the fan side, and I truly wish I could connect to the author side, because the encouragement is gorge
Beka
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These letters are like getting a nice, long hug. And a warm blanket. And cocoa. And a cozy fireplace. And your best friend sitting opposite you, as you both squeal over your stories and characters.

Basically, if you are a writer, you should read this book. And if you are a reader, read this book. I connected to it in both ways—wanting to write books worthy of these letters and connecting to the Fangirl excitement. Especially the tendency to CAPS LOCK. ;) #relatable
Anna Tan
If you've ever had a down day, wondering whether anything you've ever written is worth the paper it's printed on (or the screen it's... pixeled on...?), Laura's "Dear Author" is sure to put a smile on your face--or some tears on your cheeks.

Accompanied by extremely cute illustrations, this book is a welcome pick-me-up for beleaguered authors everywhere.

Note: I received an e-ARC of this book from the author. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: page numbers not listed 2 11 Jan 13, 2020 06:20PM

• Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • Moonscript
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • A Storm Grows: A Poetry Anthology
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • Emberhawk
  • Prince of Stars, Son of Fate
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • A Kind of Death
  • Between Homes (The City Between, #5)
  • Origins: Part One (Fatgirl, #1)
  • Daughter of Sun, Bride of Ice (Ice and Fate, #1)
  • Gone Wishing: A Steel City Genie Short Novella
Laura A. Grace had a lifelong dream of getting to know authors behind the covers of her favorite reads. Little did she know that one day she would become an author, too! She has since published Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl and Team Lines: A Poetry Collection, and has an upcoming manga, Gathering Faith. An avid BookTuber and book blogger at Unicorn Quester, as well as writer of clean ...more

News & Interviews