Start by marking “Lady Sophias elsker” as Want to Read:
Lady Sophias elsker

Lady Sophias elsker

(Bow Street Runners #2)

Da Sophia Sydney søger jobbet som assistent for politidommeren Ross Canon, chefen for Bow Street Runners, er det med ét mål for øje: at ødelægge ham både politisk og følelsesmæssigt. Det var ham, der dømte Sophias bror til tvangsarbejde og dermed indirekte var skyld i hans død. Men langsomt går det op for hende, at han ikke er den brutale og hjerteløse mand, hun troede, og ...more
Paperback
Published May 14th 2020 by Flamingo (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Sophias elsker, please sign up.
MaryD
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Lady Sophias elsker
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
Our group read for historical romance readathon - SO GOOD!!! And it’s steeaammyyy. Ross is the most protective and adoring hero ever. And I loved Sophia!
Riley
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was my first lisa kleypas book and i really enjoyed it!!
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I’ll make this short and sweet: This book was a pleasure from the first page to the last. As always, Lisa Kleypas gives us amazing characters, exciting yet believable situations and lots and lots of sexual tension, written only the way she can write it – sizzling hot! Who knew antique exercising furniture could be so much… fun?!?
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Ross Cannon is yet another of Lisa Kleypas wonderful heroes. He is so honorable and dignified. He has this intelligence and way about him that inspires respect in others. He reminds me of how I think King Arthur must have been. He was mostly celibate for eight years after his wife dies. That's why the way he falls for Sophia is so wonderful. She becomes his obsession and sets his heart on fire. And he does everything to keep her happy and to show his love for her. Sigh. I liked Sophia, and I tho ...more
Jacqueline's Reads
4 Hot Hot Hot Stars

I did the audio version and it was Fantastic! The audio narrator is one of my top favorites for British narrators. I LOVE LOVE LOVE her voice. I love love love her voice transitions. She made the book SUPER enjoyable and I’ll probably stalk which books she narrators. If you are a fan of accents, as I am, then I highly recommend you getting the audio.

I love Lisa Kleypas as do a lot of others and I was kind of concerned reading an old book and although her writing style isn’t th
Mo
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ross Cannon, the Monk of Bow Street. A Magistrate, a widower, celibate for years. He lives for his work and cannot ever see himself in a relationship, let alone married in the future. But then Sophia Sydney enters his life and turns it upside down.

Once again, I sort of guessed one of the "reveals" but not all of it.

Ross, bless him, was well able to keep up with Sophia ... "up" being the operative word. Lord above, he was no longer done "doing the deed" when he was off again. Jaysus, he could do
Zoe Won
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shawna
5+ stars – Historical Romance

This is another beautiful, lush, evocative, and passionate romance from amazingly talented author, Lisa Kleypas. I've absolutely loved every single book of hers that I've read and Lady Sophia's Lover is another 5 star LK favorite for my keeper shelf!

Sophia is an endearing heroine, and Bow Street Runner Sir Ross Cannon is such a sexy, gruff alpha hero. He can chase after me anytime! Watching the stoic, disciplined, cynical Bow Street Magistrate being brought back to
Rane
While Someone to Watch Over Me was somewhat of a disappointment, Lady Sophia's Lover truly made up for it ten-fold!

In Someone to Watch Over Me you meet Ross Cannon who appears cold but not uncaring with the weight of the world not riding on his shoulders. Know to pretty much live as a monk, after the death of his first wife, straightlaced, and a true believer in right and wrong. Ross appears to be large then life almost- superhuman. Slowly you comes to see Ross in a different light, as just a m
Iliada

I'll be honest with you. Here's the thing. There are two kinds of writers. The ones to whom writing and inspiration come easily and those to whom they don't and they are jealous of the people that belong in the first category. Clearly, Lisa Kleypas falls under the first category, but this isn't the issue here. The issue is that as a reviewer I'm the equivalent of an uninspired writer, those green with envy people that belong in the second category.

Long story short, I don't know what to
Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fangirl Musings

Ummmm...is it wrong to literally flip off a novel for sucking so terribly? I mean, insanity is relative, right? No, of course it is; when a novel sucks to the level of All Suckdom, all bets, questions, and straight jackets are entirely out of the question! Put simply, Lisa Kleypas is an awesome writer, but holy damn, one could not tell that fact from the atrocity that is Lady Sophie's Lover. (Fact: The novel's so terrible, I just typed "Sohpie's," rather than "Sophia's" and I can't even care.)

Ir
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
honest rating: 2.5

i skimmed this one for the historical romance readathon and it was good but it didn't grip me enough to really dive into it and give it a try. I didn't like the almost nonconsensual scene, the big revealing, and the overall story development. it was okay.
Chloe Liese
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the first in Kleypas’ Bow Street Runner series and not enjoying it too much I hadn’t planned on reading the next book but I am SO glad I did. This was hot, fast-paced, and an original, engaging plot. I loved it. Highly recommend—just bypass the first in the series and jump right in with the tenacious Lady Sophia and her grumpy, passionate silver fox, Sir Ross Cannon.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
2.5 stars. The Bow Street Runners are simply not holding the same appeal for me that the Wallflowers or Hathaways series did.

The start threw me off to the rest of the book. Generally, a Kleypas couple gets some time to banter around and build steam. I felt like I'd been thrown into the deep end right off, which set the tone in a way I didn't care for.

But, it's Kleypas. Enough said. I'll forgive this and hope her next book will reignite my love.
☘ Lily ☘
I didn't expect to love this! The first book was horrible but this one, blew my expectation away!

So, in this one we have a heroine wanting to exact revenge on the hero, by being closer to him and later stabbing him in the back. To be honest, I get why she was hell-bent on this, where she was kept being disappointed by the life she was given and to finally take revenge on someone who took something important away from her, hell yes I was all in for this revenge plot! Somehow along the way, she di
Jaclyn
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IN LOVE WITH SIR ROSS *swoons*
Lisa Kleypas is just magic, she can truly do no wrong and is the reason I have extremely high expectations in men.
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
You can also check my review out HERE

I read the first book in this series a while a go and it was one of the few Lisa Kleypas that I didn't fall in love with, which is why it took me so long to get started on this book, that and the cover where it looks like the woman is being strangled to death!!!! This was a mistake, I adored this book!

We met Sir Ross Cannon fairly briefly in previous book, Someone to Watch Over Me, and he seemed staid and slightly cold with his wintery grey eyes, that just g
One chapter more
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no denying my love for Lisa Kleypas and her penmanship. What more, there is no denying in me admiring all of the Bow Street Runners and their auras of secrecy and alpha nature. These men know how to take care of their women. In all ways, there are out there.

Considering that I finished reading this title in less than 24hrs, one might say I enjoyed myself immensely. That one would not be mistaken. It was a diverting story even if filled with lies, vengeance, and not so much bedroom activi
Leah
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-lit, 5-stars, m-f
I started this book out warily. The first book of the series, Someone to Watch Over Me, was not the most stellar piece of writing that I have ever read by Lisa Kleypas. I was rather disappointed in it and only gave it three stars. So, I'm sure you can understand my caution with Lady Sophia's Lover.

Another reason I was cautious was the revenge plot. I hate revenge plots. Hate them! So, I was anxious about how this would affect my enjoyment of the novel. However, not far into the book, the revenge
Lubnaa (Romance Library)
Reread for the 2nd time in 2020:
Rating increased from 4 to 5 stars upon re-reading because what the hell was past me thinking?? This is one of the best Kleypas books EVER!!!!!! It's officially one of my top 3 Kleypas books ever.

Note: Content warning in the spoiler tag at the very end of review.
"There were so many seductive qualities about him: his intelligence, his compassion for vulnerable creatures, the raw need beneath his self-controlled facade."
Lady Sophia's Lover was always one o
[Aengell]
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Kleypas, I love you.
Peri June
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-challenge
Such a fun book to read!

Lady Sophia is determined to avenge her brother by ruining Chief Magistrate Ross Cannon's reputation. She plans to seduce him, making sure he falls in love with her, then revealing damaging information about his work to show him how it feels to be betrayed by someone you love. Of course things go awry when she falls in love with him and he surprises her by asking for her hand in marriage.

I loved that Sir Ross was actually a decent man and not a jerk that the heroine can't
Anna D.
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr, age-gap
The first half or a little more than half of this book was just wonderful. I admired Sophia’s very practical sensibilities. She is a strong heroine who maintains her femininity yet she’s also able to work with the best of them. She’s a good cook, can handle herself in running a home, she did a good job with her office work at the Bow Street, and can hold her own at the market with the sellers and fishmongers. She’s also not a simpering miss when it comes to being intimate with a man. Ross was an ...more
Heidi
I was looking forward to reading this book because so many people seemed to enjoy it and I want to get more into Lisa Kleypas. Unfortunately, I was not blown away.

This book started off well. I was intrigued by Sophia’s character, because she sets out on a mission to seduce Sir Ross Cannon and ruin his reputation because she blames him for the death of her brother. I thought it was an interesting twist to give the heroine a revenge plot. I was immediately sucked into the story and enjoyed both So
Carol Storm
Back in the Dark Ages, before Goodreads, America On Line used to have romance chats every Tuesday night. In those days I used to hang out with all kinds of incredible, generous, crazy romance fans, and one of them (I'm talking about you Amy, where ever you are!) was nice enough to send me a copy of LADY SOPHIA'S LOVER by Lisa Kleypas. At that time the only historical authors I knew well were old standbys like Mary Balogh, Jo Beverley, and Bertrice Small. Reading this book absolutely blew my mind ...more
Insh
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There are two things a man should never do,
— keep a woman waiting,
and claim to understand her.”
Smart Women Read Romance
I know I know... why haven’t I read the Bow Street Runners series before? Thankfully this was the group pick and I got to experience the lovely Lady Sophia and Sir Ross for the very first time! All the stars for this secret enemies-to-lovers.

Lady Sophia wants revenge and she knows just how to bring Sir Ross down. With step one complete (get a job at Bow Street) she plans to have him fall in love with her to make her betrayal that much more hurtful, but she doesn’t expect to fall in love with hi
Regan Walker
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: victorian
Sir Ross Falls Prey to a Scheming Woman...

This is book 2 in the Bow Street Runners trilogy. Set in the late Regency era/early Victorian period (we have no date till book 3), this one features the head of the Bow Street runners, Sir Ross Cannon, who has been celibate since the death of his young wife years earlier.

Lady Sophia Sydney intends to seduce the unattainable Sir Ross for her revenge because of the death of her brother, John, on a prison ship--a death she blames on Sir Ross. Sophia manage
Cheryl
I thought that this was going to be a 5 star book, but it was not! When I read what this book was about I loved the story line. I loved Sir Ross Cannon from what we knew about him from the previous book "Someone To Watch Over Me". I just knew his story would be fantastic. I mean, here we have this man who never smiles, is so serious all the time, is a workaholic, is a widower, and does not sleep around. As a matter of fact, he has not had sex in 3 years.

Then we meet Sophia. She is out to seek r

• One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • Say Yes to the Marquess (Castles Ever After, #2)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • The Day of the Duchess (Scandal & Scoundrel, #3)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • The Hunter (Victorian Rebels, #2)
  • To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)

Bow Street Runners (3 books)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me (Bow Street Runners, #1)
  • Worth Any Price (Bow Street Runners, #3)