Start by marking “Noise: Fiction Inspired by Sonic Youth” as Want to Read:
Noise: Fiction Inspired by Sonic Youth

Noise: Fiction Inspired by Sonic Youth

2.7  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
For more than twenty-five years, the antimelodic “noise” of Sonic Youth has assaulted us, exhilarated us, inspired us. Why?

Katherine Dunn says it's because they operate in the foggy world between the real and the surreal. Mary Gaitskill says that Sonic Youth caught her, years ago, when she was falling. J. Robert Lennon says it's because Sonic Youth rip it apart. Emily Magu
Published January 6th 2009 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Noise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Noise

Kevin Krein
what did i learn from this book? that english authors are bad at writing short stories based on the music of sonic youth.
Kevin
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-m-in-this
Cool collection of stories inspired by Sonic Youth songs. Great work especially by Jess Walter, Katherine Dunn, Samuel Ligon. I have a story in here too, called "Swimsuit Issue," based on the song from Dirty.
One of my favorite parts is how each writer wrote a little intro to their story explaining why they picked the song they chose to base their stories on. This was originally published in the UK. Now it's out in the states.
Lindsey
Jul 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
I was horribly disappointed by this collection. There's so much possibility here but so many of these writers chose very trite topics, ranging from the boring to the melodramatic. It felt more like a collection of writings by high school students given the same assignment, and most of these supposedly professional writers simply borrowed a song title for a story title with no relevance or reverence for the source whatsoever. In most cases I enjoyed reading the blurbs at the beginning of the stor ...more
Saxon
Nov 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: newish-books
I got this an advanced copy from Vogue. Its actually EDITED by Peter Wild and a collection of short stories many different writers.

For the most part this collection was actually really good. Most of the stories seem to emulate Sonic Youth in some way--dark, surreal, psychedelic,etc. In addition, the fiction is usually somewhat experimental and non-linear. However, even if you are not a fan of Sonic Youth , one could still enjoy these stories.

The only aspect that seemed somewhat pointless was t
Cher
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-stories
1/4 of the way into this book, I am not sure the other people listening to this band are hearing anything I hear.

It is clear the authors are using only the titles and the open-endedness of the band's music as their guides.
Daniel
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
I tried pretty hard to read this. The theme is great; I downloaded a whole bunch of songs I haven't listened to in years, and am loving them. But the stories I read (I couldn't finish!) didn't blow me away, or really make me feel connected to the music.
Brandon
May 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: sonic youth fan-fic nerds
Recommended to Brandon by: Katy
The "My Friend Goo" story was pretty good. The rest... well, I'm staying away from the same publisher's "fiction inspired by The Fall" book now. Most of the author introductions were embarrassing, too. Improve book: delete introductions.
Adam Hodgins
Feb 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I picked this up because as far as I’m concerned Sonic Youth is pretty much the best thing ever.
I wasn’t familiar with any of the writers except Eileen Myles, but there’s definitely a few gems in here and I’ll be looking for more stuff by a few of the authors.
Jamie
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
this is a pretty good anthology of various writers, works inspired by sonic youth. of course, i got this book not as an avid long-term sonic youth fan, but because of eileen myles piece "protect me you"....spetacular as usual!
D.W. Miller
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
One brilliant story among a plethora of others ranging from awful to mediocre. I picked it up because it was on sale for $5.00, and I'd say that's about what it's worth.