Start by marking “Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)

Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega #2)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  51,866 Ratings  ·  1,871 Reviews
Anna Latham didn’t know how complicated life could be until she became a werewolf. And until she was mated to Charles Cornick, the son — and enforcer — of Bran, the leader of the North American werewolves, she didn’t know how dangerous it could be either...

Anna and Charles have just been enlisted to attend a summit to present Bran’s controversial proposition: that the wolv
Mass Market Paperback, 286 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Ace Books (first published August 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hunting Ground, please sign up.
Rae Whitefeather
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Christy
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
 photo 7b517781-eeb8-4066-b91a-a61d25db3695_zpsaeap1oay.jpg

Every once in a while, it feels so good to jump out of the romance genre and jump back into some Urban Fantasy/PNR. Patricia Briggs is one of my go to authors when it comes to these types of books. After listening to the first book in this series (Cry Wolf), I decided to do book 2 in audio as well. I’m happy I did. It was fast listening and the narrator did a great job voicing Anna and Charles.

Hunting Ground takes place in Seattle. If you’ve read the Mercy Thompson series, you remember that bo
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re reading books that you love and have been with for years is the best. Charles has been one of my loves and always will be.

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Boring Outdated UF is Boring and Outdated Buddy Read (BOUFiBaOBR™) with Ashley and Angela

Actual rating: 2.2 stars. Damn, I can be so generous sometimes, it's making me all teary-eyed and stuff.

This is such a delightful little series. I loved book 1 so much that I just could NOT wait to read this instalment. And if someone tells you that this is total BS, that I hated book 1 and swore a blood oath to stay the fish away from this series for the rest of the entirety of my entire life, well that
♥Rachel♥
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Re-read February 16th 2018.

Didn't leave much of a review the first time I read Hunting Ground (see below) so I'll add a bit more now.

Events pick up about four weeks after Cry Wolf, with Anna and Charles being sent off to Seattle for a conference/discussion about the Wolves coming out to the public. As Charles says, there are no negotiations, Bran has already decided that this will happen, because too many of the wrong people know of their existence and have used it as blackmail with th
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, December 2017. Look at that! One of the few missing pieces in my ALPHA AND OMEGA/MERCY THOMPSON series reading has popped up as a Kindle sale! Merry Christmas to me!!

Hunting Ground is a solid story in the ALPHA AND OMEGA series. Charles (an Alpha werewolf who acts as his father Bran's enforcer rather than being the head of a pack) and his mate Anna, an Omega werewolf, are sent on a mission to Seattle, to a meeting of Alpha werewolves from England, Spain, France and elsewhere.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3 Omega stars

“She was his and he hers.”

photo collagehuntingground.png

“Women are the bloodthirsty sex. We get the reputation, but it is only because the women stand behind us, and say, 'Kill it. Squish it.”

One month after they are mated and married, werewolves Anna and Charles must travel to Seattle to oversee a conference where the wolves discuss the issue of becoming open to the public. While they are there, hired vampire assassins begin attacking the Omega's, human and wolf.

This one took me a while to get throug
Mel
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr, favorites
First I'd like to comment that the description on Goodreads is not a good description of the contents of the book (you'll see what I mean after you've read it) and does not match the description on the book jacket, which is a much better summary:
“Anna Latham didn’t know how complicated life could be until she became a werewolf. And until she was mated to Charles Cornick, the son- and enforcer- of Bran, the leader of the North American werewolves, she didn’t know how dangerous it could be either.
Alex is The Romance Fox
Hunting Ground continues with Charles and Anna, newly mated and working on their relationship.
 photo download_zpsahn7ckee.jpg
They are sent by the Marok to attend a meeting in Seattle with werewolves around the world. Bran, the Marok and Charles father has decided to publicly announce to the world the existence of wolves. The gathering is to discuss the idea and persuade the packs that this is a good idea.

I love seeing this mystical and magical world that the author has created evolving with the introduction of new and inte
Ahmad Sharabiani
Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2), Patricia Briggs
"Anna Latham didn't know how complicated life could be until she became a werewolf. And until she was mated to Charles Cornick, the son--and enforcer--of Bran, the leader of the North American werewolves, she didn't know how dangerous it could be, either ... Anna and Charles have just been enlisted to attend a summit to present Bran's controversial proposition: that the wolves should finally reveal themselves to humans. But the most feared A
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I am glad I took my time reading this. I think there are so many levels to this novel that I could miss if I breezed through. I like how simple Briggs writes. Not a lot of nonsense, extraneous prose that bogs down the story. Despite her concise narrative, she conveys so much, filling the novel with an emotional power. Her characters have a distinct feel to them from other writers. I like that she puts their flaws out there unashamedly, and it makes you love the characters even more.

I will freel
Choko
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
*** 4.25 ***

Read with the MacHalo Freaks buddies!

The best book of the Mercy Thompson series yet. We are back with Charles and Anna, newly matted and trying to learn each other's ways, when a conference of the strongest leaders of the Wolf packs around the world meets in Seattle and our newlyweds go to it as hosts. From the first moment they step onto Seattle soil their lives are in danger. Anyone could be a traitor or an assassin. They can trust no one! Things are tense, people die, lines are
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

HUNTING GROUND had a lot of interesting morsels in it from both a mythology and a story standpoint; readers get to learn about fae, vampires and dragons (!!!), witness firsthand how Bran’s decision to bring the werewolves out to the public came to be, and observe the continuing evolution of Anna & Charles’ relationship. No author does light/dark quite like Patricia Briggs, and this audiobook really emblazoned that fact by putting these preternaturals’ best and worst
Sanaa
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
[4.5 Stars] Really loved this one. I think my favorite part was seeing Anna and Charles really work as a team and then seeing Anna come into her own a bit. I really like her character growth so far, and seeing her and Charles work on their relationship really made me enjoy this one. I think Patricia Briggs is seriously such a fantastic author, and I cannot wait to see what is in store next in both this series and Mercy Thompson. Also in case your curious, I think I prefer Mercy Thompson as a mai ...more
Angela
January 2018 Re-read. Buddy read with Sarah
January 2017 Re-read: Buddy read with Sarah
December 2015 re-read: Buddy read with Sarah

This is such a romantic story. Charles and Anna are still really new in their relationship here, so we get a lot of time with them figuring it out. And unlike a lot of romantic stories - it's not all figured out between the sheets. Sex is an important part of (any) relationship, and definitely one thing that they're figuring out here, but it's not the only thing - the
Mada Linx
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I like the slow built of their relationship. Not sudden nor perfect, tripping and stumbling along the way trying to find the right step and balance to their relationship.
Anna turned Charles’s world up side down, and he doesn’t know how to cope with everything that he feels for her. He somehow locked away his human side with feelings, so he can be the hitman his father wants.
Now, Anna is his world and nothing is more important than her safety. He sucks at communication and many times th
MelissaB
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: werewolf romance fans who like a little mystery in their books
Hunting Ground is the third entry into the Alpha and Omega series. The first story was "Alpha and Omega" in the On the Prowl anthology and the second was a stand alone book, Cry Wolf. The series follows Anna and Charles after they meet in the first book and find out they are mates, then they must work their way through learning to accept the mating bond and work out their life together.

Anna was abused by her first pack which features heavily in the story as she tries to overcome her emotional sc
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Patricia Briggs has once again ensnared me, I LOVED this book!

Huntung Ground is set just before the werewolves come out to the public and Charles and Anna go to a meeting with all the European werewolves to soothe some fears...not that it works out that way of course. I thought it was a little better then Cry Wolf, mainly because I found the story a bit more interesting there was more to get into as it was slightly more complex.

It also shows Charles and Anna's developing relationship. Part of
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
I'm too bored to write a full review right now so...

1) Loved the story. The relationship keeps developing between Charles and Anna and I think that it's the first time I've been able to actually see so clearly how a relationship progresses in a series.
2) In this book we have fairies, vamps, trolls, wolves. All the nice nasties I love in my books.
3) I wanted more Bran!:(
4) For some reason I didn't like Ric at all.
5) I loved Moira and Arthur.
6) The book was fast paced and well-written. I wasn't bo
1st Read March 2014
2nd Read December 2015
3rd Read January 2017
4th Read January 2018

Original Review

I have been absolutely devouring the both the Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega series recently so it's no surprise that I enjoyed Hunting Ground. I think I'm just going to love everything that Patricia Briggs writes because she certainly hasn't steered me wrong so far! The world building in these two series is phenomenal, you have the werewolves with their dominance issues, the fae who are very
Glass
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Two words - Charles Cornick.

description

description
AH
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Werewolf politics and intrigue are the highlight of this novel. Charles and Anna are sent to Seattle on behalf of Bran to negotiate the “coming out” of the werewolf population. The wolves of North America and Europe are represented in this negotiation. Not all the wolves are happy with this situation, and a lot of Alpha wolves in one place is a recipe for trouble. The talks are to be mediated by a fae Gray Lord, Dana.

There was a huge cast of characters in this book and it was interesting to lear
Aly is so frigging bored
4th read: 8-14February 2016
Buddy read with Maru

3rd read: August 2014
Buddy read with Jo

2nd read: 13-15 November
This is one of the best series I've read this year, I am so glad that I did :)

I can't say more then that I really love Charles, Anna, Bran and all the other secondary characters. The confidence that Anna manages to regain slow and steady is another of the things I enjoyed reading.

1ast read: July 2012
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Wow. I didn’t think this series could get any better, but it just did. Hunting Ground was amazing!! I love the way Briggs writes. There’s this ease to it and it’s always just a natural progression of the storyline. It’s never pulling or straining. All the characters continue to grow in a way that is gradual, but still very evident.

And Anna is the perfect example of that. I remember complaining back in the Alpha &Omega novella that she was too skittish and broken. But she has come so far in s
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ Wow! All I can say is this book is cool. I just love “Anna Latham Cornick, mate of Charles Cornick, Omega of the Aspen Creek Pack. Wolf. Sister. Daughter. Lover. Beloved.” Remember, knowing a person’s name is powerful magic. And that is all the hint of this plot you are going to get out of me! This one is delicious. Just enough clues sprinkled throughout for me to guess some of them and still leave enough mystery to unfold. Plus, enough realism in the human relationship between two lonely, ...more
Wanda
I think I like this splinter series of Patricia Briggs more than her original Mercy Thompson series. The first Alpha & Omega book annoyed me because it assumed that I knew things that I didn’t. I hadn’t read the short story that kicked things off. But with that in the past, I can appreciate this second book for exactly what it is.

I always love urban fantasy that includes the Fae. They are far superior to vampires & werewolves in my reading experience. I’m not sure what it is about the fa
Kathleen
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tense, fast-paced, and emotionally gripping, Hunting Ground is set in Seattle. First stop, a city landmark: a huge stone troll guarding his turf beneath the Fremont Street underpass. Photos don't do justice to the SIZE of this thing, clutching a real VW Bug in one hand. See troll here: http://openplac.es/trips/the-fremont-...

CHARACTERS: Charles and Anna and a mix of secondary characters (including Moira and Tom, introduced in the prequel Seeing Eyes, a short story in the Strange Brew anthology).
Pam Nelson
4.5 Hunting Ground Stars

Wow, Anna is really coming in to her own, no she isn't healed or anything like that. But she is getting stronger every day. And I love that her and her wolf are equals.

Charles really shows his softer side for his mate this time. At the beginning he was a bit standoffish but I think that’s because he is so old and not used to having to share what he is feeling with someone. He is learning and so is she.

A lot goes on I think I like that we get lots of action in these boo
Angela
Of the first three stories (Alpha & Omega, Cry Wolf, and Hunting Ground) this is definitely the most romantic. The pacing of the story is tight and moves along quickly, and we really get a chance to delve into the politics of the werewolves - around the world. At the same time we get to know Charles and Anna even better, and watch their relationship grow, which is my favorite part.

Anna still has some issues with the abuse she suffered at the hands of her old pack. I love how Patricia Briggs
Zeek
omygosh what a great, oddly romantic book. Love how the author displayed Charles's strength- even in his vulnerability. Love how she empowered Anna. Love how their love empowered them both.

I know I'm all gushy right now, so let me get to my review:

The continuing story of Charles and Anna, newly mated werewolves tentatively learning to trust their feelings and the truemate bonding that holds them together. In Hunting Ground, Alpha of Alpha's Bran sends his son Charles and his new daughter-in-law
Next Book? 16 243 Feb 14, 2018 10:28AM
Male Hairstyles Loss As Getting Any Facts Straight 1 9 Oct 23, 2017 02:34AM
Fantasy and Vampi...: January BOM - Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega #2) 21 21 Jan 26, 2016 05:51AM
A Million More Pages: 2 - Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega): Oct 5 34 20 Oct 08, 2015 10:38PM
Buddy Read Zone: Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega #2) 94 18 Jan 18, 2014 02:40AM
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Night Season (World of the Lupi, #4)
  • Magic Bleeds - Awake (Curran POV #9)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a na
More about Patricia Briggs

Alpha & Omega (5 books)
  • Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)
  • Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega #4)
  • Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Women are the bloodthirsty sex," said Ric sadly. "We get the reputation, but it is only because the women stand behind us, and say, 'Kill it. Squish it.” 563 likes
“My grandfather would have loved to have met you," he told her huskily. "He would have called you 'She Moves Trees Out of His Path.' "

She looked lost, but his da laughed. He'd known the old man, too.

"He called me 'He Who Must Run into Trees,'" Charles explained, and in a spirit of honesty, a need for his mate to know who he was, he continued, "or sometimes 'Running Eagle.' "

" 'Running Eagle'?" Anna puzzled it over, frowning at him. "What's wrong with that?"

"Too stupid to fly," murmured his father with a little smile.”
394 likes