Start by marking “Coyote” as Want to Read:
Coyote

Coyote (Carlotta Carlyle #3)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  836 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Delving deep into the dangerous world of illegal aliens and the deadly "coyotes" who prey on them, Boston P.I. Carlotta Carlyle is propelled into the arms of a handsome immigration agent, who may be after more than just the facts. Before long Carlotta finds herself amidst the darkest corners of Boston's subculture--forced to confront the blackest evil in men's souls.
Published October 1st 1990 by Delacorte Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote

Margaret
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here the title 'Coyote' has to do with a conductor for illegal immigrants rather than being a clue that the book is set in the US southwest.
In fact it is set in Massachesetts, where a PI and part time cabbie gets sucked into the desperate world of preyed-upon illegal aliens.
A well done, very readable book.
Judy
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like her Carlotta series, and she's a savvy detective and she drives a cab when money is tight.
Linda Hugues
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new favorite detective series

This book has Interesting believable characters, an atmospheric Boston setting and a thoughtful storyline about South American immigrants. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Marleen
Jan 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linda-barnes
Another piece of the puzzle is put together as more is revealed about Carlotta Carlyle’s intriguing world while reading this 3rd book in the series, especially about her little sister Paolina (from the Big Sisters program). Carlotta takes her responsibility towards her little “sister” very seriously. She has been a big sister to Paolina since the little girl was 7 and has spent a lot of time with her, trying to teach her self-worth, taking her out to various educational and fun activities, tryin ...more
Spuddie
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#3 Carlotta Carlyle mystery featuring the PI and sometime-cabbie in Boston, MA. A young Spanish-speaking woman, possibly an illegal from some Central American country, comes to Carlotta as a walk-in client. She has with her one of Carlotta's business cards and a newspaper, pointing to an article about a dead woman named Manuela Estefan. The woman claims in halting Spanish that the dead person isn't Manuela Estefan--SHE is, and the woman had her green card. She wants Carlotta to get it back witho ...more
Ed
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#3 in the Carlotta Carlyle series.

Carlotta Carlyle series - the ex-cop and sometime cab-driver prowls overcrowded apartments where illegal aliens rest--and sometimes find their final resting places--after their ill-paid labors. Carlotta's latest case is neatly tied in with her sensitively depicted relationship with Paolina, a child she has befriended through the Big Sister program who has led a troubled alien, Manuela Estafan, to Carlotta. But when Manuela disappears and her I.D. is found on the
BoekenTrol
I bought this book several years ago, was attracted by the description on the back side and the comments of literary journalists.

The back side said it was a 'quick, well written story'. The subject: detectives, immigrants, murder. But nevertheless the story didn't catch me. I found Carlotta Carlyle, the main character, a detective, very annoying, chaotic, not a character that I found anything in common with.

I gave it a try, and a second read, but now I got to page 89 I decided to stop reading
Maddy
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
PROTAGONIST: Carlotta Carlyle, cab driver and PI
SETTING: Boston
SERIES: book #3
RATING: 3.0
I like the protagonist in this series, but sometimes struggle with the secondary characters. The plot in this one has to do with illegal immigration. A large part of the book deals with the problems of Carlotta's Little Sister, Paolina. I'm not overly fond of this relationship. The plot is average.
Jan
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Illegal immigration is such an icky, hot-button, no win issue. Green cards and using illegal workers were the focus of Coyote by Linda Barnes, and these issues touched the people close to PI Carlotta Carlisle. I did not enjoy this 3rd book in the series because of the subject matter. I also think I wasn't in a hard-boiled mystery mood. I would continue reading this series at a later time as I still like the characters, even when the subject matter is uncomfortable.
Robert Scott
Finished rereading 09/29/2011. Carlotta wonders why her "little sister" Paolina is so distant after her return from her mothers visit to Columbia for her Marta's father's funeral. C.C. is hired to find an immigrant's green card after a murder. She becomes involved with an investigation into illegals working in a local sweat shop and four murders of these women. She with the help of Mooney finds that all the trouble turns around a rogue INS agent.
Gail
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd book in the Carlotta Carlyle series. I am really enjoying these books. Carlotta is my summer book companion this year. The setting of the book was the late 80s but the immigration issues are still relevant today. It is funny to have a detective running around without a cell phone and using a dial up computer connect and only having access to AOL but the stories are compelling and the characters engaging.
Mary_ellen Batcho
This is not about the animal a coyote, it is about abduction and selling people to an awful life frequently in another country. I foound this to be extremely intense and very tangled with other characters lives. When there is someone this evil in your past you are never really free of them. Try this book it is great.
Cat.
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Another Carlotta Carlyle book. This one is about immigration in Central America and what looks like a serial murderer stalking illegals. Also Paolina (her "little sister") has found out her father is a different man from the one she always thought was her dad, so she too is worrying about deportation. Not a terrific story, but it moves along ok.
Kimz Zahour
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm becoming more and more fond of this series. Maybe I wasn't sensitive to the character's inner conflicts in the other novels but it really jumped out at me in this book. It gave the characters more complexity in this already character driven mystery series.
There always seems to be an element of politics or bureaucracy in the plots and I'm thankful that that aspect is not over-done.
Ryan Mishap
When you find a new mystery writer, or, rather, randomly pluck one from the infinite sea of mystery writers, there's a favorable glow glossing over their work. Unless they get better, though, you will lose interest the longer the series goes. Book three is a good one to bet on--the first caught your attention. The second was probably much like the first. The third is where they will take chances.
Sherree
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It wasn't great literature, but it kept me interested through the end. This was the first book I've read by this author, and while not the first in the series, it was the first my library had. I didn't feel too behind from not reading the first two. I like the main character and will look for more of these books.
Susan
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just could not get pulled into this book. Perhaps if I had not been on vacation and unable to read for longer stretches I could have stayed focused. It didn't help that this is the third book in the series but the first one I have read.
Rindenver
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an entertaining, good light read, perfect for those times when you need an escape -- like, for example when your digestive system is in open rebellion and you just want to be somewhere else while it calms down. Suspenseful, engaging characters, not too deep. I'll read more of her books.
Kara Bee
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sisters-picks
Another enjoyable Carlotta Carlyle mystery. I enjoy how Linda Barnes continues to develop the character of Carlotta and the secondary characters. Carlotta continues to grow and develop rather than remain static as is often the case in series. I am looking forward to reading the next book!
Susan
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a choice of the library mystery club. I enjoyed the main character being a woman detective. The story involved illegal immigrant women & children trying to survive in the Boston area. I was disappointed with the ending of the story.
Jim
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lu-en-français
My first Carlotta Carlyle book, an impressive story. Carlotta Carlyle reminds me a lot of Sara Paretsy's feisty heroine V.I.Warshawski. The coyote of the title is someone who smuggles people across borders usually from Latin America into the USA.
Renee
read it a LONG time ago. she is a GOOD author; i remember that. her Carlotta Carlyle mysteries are good and fun.
Bevjirwin
nice mystery but i guessed the bad guy way too soon
Joe O'Connor
Very Good; Continuing Character: Carlotta Carlyle; illegal Hispanic immigrants are turning up dead and Carlotta finds evidence of a business using these aliens and government officials.
Marian
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little slow for my liking.
I did enjoy it.
Nancy
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An addictive series.
Anita
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, carlotta
I really liked this one better than the first. I don't think I could drive around boston yet though.
Ellen
Carlotta Carlyle #3
Jeanette
This was a good book. I enjoyed reading it. This series is worth reading.
Meredith
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
this has good plot and Carlotta is good character -- likes men but doesn't like to be pushed around.
  • The Shape of Dread
  • Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski, #6)
  • Katapult (Kat Colorado, #2)
  • The Butter Did It (Chas Wheatley, #1)
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald, #6)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi ...more
More about Linda Barnes...

Carlotta Carlyle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • Hardware (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #6)
  • Cold Case (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #7)
  • Flashpoint (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #8)
  • The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)
  • Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)
  • Heart of the World (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #11)