Start by marking “Liar Liar (DS Grace Allendale, #3)” as Want to Read:
Liar Liar (DS Grace Allendale, #3)

Liar Liar

(DS Grace Allendale #3)

The truth can be a dangerous thing…

When a young boy is thrown from a balcony in a block of flats, DS Grace Allendale witnesses the shocking aftermath of the tragic event. But despite everything, no one will admit to seeing who did it – and the parents will only tell the police that it was an accident.

Determined to bring the perpetrator to justice, Grace must sort the truth
Published February 10th 2020 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Liar Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liar Liar

Start your review of Liar Liar (DS Grace Allendale, #3)
Kylie D
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful book in what is proving to be an excellent series. In this novel Grace is nearby when a toddler falls from a balcony, and she's not sure if it was an accident or he was pushed. One thing is certain, the residents of Harrison House are keeping their mouths closed. The parents are clearly hiding something, but secrets and lies are the norm in this neck of the woods. How can Grace investigate when nobody will talk to her?

This one kept me up long past my bedtime. I had to know what
Liz
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Mel Sherratt has a well deserved reputation as an author of strong police procedurals. I’ve been a fan of all her various series. This, the third in the Grace Allendale series, has Grace investigating a young toddler who “falls” from the balcony in a block of flats. We know that several folks saw something but no one will admit to knowing anything. Even the parents will only say it was an accident. At the same time, there was some sort of commotion going on at the car park. I love that we’re kep
PamG
LIAR LIAR by Mel Sherratt is the third book in the DS Grace Allendale crime thriller series. The story takes place in England and the author brought this reader a gripping, intense and intriguing story.

When a young boy falls from a balcony, DS Grace Allendale and her partner DS Frankie Higgins are nearby on another police matter so they are quick to arrive, but no one seemed to see anything and the parents say it was an accident. Grace and Frankie work to find out the truth, but that is more eas
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Liar Liar is the third book featuring DS Grace Allendale. I have enjoyed all of these books and look forward to may more books in this series. I love that Grace is damaged and has the local criminal gang in her family. She is a great character to read about. We didn't learn too much new about her in this book and I hope that this will be explored more in future books,

The majority of this book is centred around the flats at Harrison House. A young boy has fallen from the balcony of one of the fla
Kylie H
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few books by Mel Sherratt and although I have not read any of the earlier books in this particular series, it was fine as a standalone.
Mel specialises in settings in the poorer socioeconomic areas of England. Her books are gritty and realistic but also convey that there are good people doing great things in all classes.
In this story there is a terrible situation where a young boy goes over the balcony rail of a housing estate. DS Grace Allendale and her partner Frankie are trying t
Louise Wilson
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DS Grace Allandale #3

4.5 starsrounded up to 5

A child has fallen from a balcony. Theres a fight happening in the car park. DS Grace Allandale is on the case with her team, ready to investigate. Grace is determined to get to the bottom of how the little boy fell from the balcony.she suspects his mother, Ruby is holding back from telling her the truth.

There is a dual timeline and lots of characters in this story. Every character has something to hide, even from their loved ones. I like Grace and he
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
With a toddler fallen from a balcony and in a surgically-induced coma, the last thing you want to hear from potential witnesses is, ‘I saw nothing’. However, this is exactly what DS Grace Allendale has to experience when she is determined to get to the bottom of a heartless crime.

A typical crime story, this was pacey enough to maintain my interest. There are flashbacks for readers to learn about Ruby’s past and this cleverly ties in with present day developments. Set on a housing estate in Stoke
Lou
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liar Liar is the third instalment in the DS Grace Allendale series, and what a cracking read it is. Each instalment works perfectly well as a standalone so you can jump right in here should you wish to. Grace and partner DC Frankie Higgins are getting ready to head home for the evening when they are startled by yelling and then a blood-curdling scream coming from the car park of a block of flats known as Harrison House. When they go to investigate they see that a young boy, two-year-old Tyler Do ...more
Xavier Hugonet
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Liar Liar is the third novel in the DS Grace Allendale series by author Mel Sherratt. It’s a British police procedural.

DS Grace Allendale is now living with Simon, a local journalist, and has had her job focused on community relations in Stokes. She’s estranged from her family, reigning crime bosses of the city, and has a new, recently promoted partner.

The story begins when a young boy falls from a balcony in a block of flats, the Harrison House. Quickly, foul play is suspected. However, no on
Alayne Emmett
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really wish I could give this book more stars but, I can’t this was an excellent read even though it was the third in the series it didn’t matter, it was a stand alone read. It reminded a little of Martina Cole’s books except there wasn’t so much swearing but, the violence was similar.
I will definitely read the others in this series and hopefully will enjoy those just as much.
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Woah! What a truly gripping start to a crime book. As soon as I picked the book up I was totally hooked. A toddler falling from a balcony had my heart in my mouth. What is worse is that no one dare say anything.

The story flicks between 2010 and 2014. In 2010 we get to see Ruby in her last year of high school, when she meets an older boy and when her life starts to change for the worse. In 2014, things don’t appear to be much better. Although we are kept in the dark as to why.

The area the story i
Lady Heather

Publication date: February 10, 2020

This was a good story, but it wasn't one of my favorites.
I think this is because I hadn't read the previous books in the series, and perhaps that would have made a difference with me connecting with the protagonist.

The plot was good and the mystery intriguing.
I liked this author's writing style. She includes a lot of detail so the reader can visualize the scenes very well.

It was good, but I don't think I'll be continuing with the series.

"I voluntarily read an
Bill Kupersmith
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since 2013, when Mel Sherratt published Somewhere to Hide, we have had more than twenty novels from her - mostly set near Stoke-on-Trent, often on estates. Some feature social workers but mostly police detectives. Here in Liar Liar it is DS Grace Allendale making it her third appearance. Appropriately she has been seconded from Major Crime to Community Policing, her new superior being another of Mel Sherratt’s series characters, Allie Shenton. Someone has dropped a toddler some fifteen feet over ...more
Ali
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Took me a while to get into this story, but it was well worth to read.
3.5 stars reflect that.

Overall, good thriller, though a few time it felt the storyline was stalling.
The ending was nicely done. Looking forward to the next book in this series.
Shalini
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fall from the first floor, and a toddler was found in the ground. Was it deliberate or an accident? Everyone knew something, but nobody saw anything. DCI Grace along with her partner Frankie got to investigating it.

My first book by author Mel Sherratt, though third in the series, I loved the chill the opening scene gave me. Why would anyone want to harm a 2 year old child? Grace with her dogged determination endeared herself to me, I was so happy she pursued the matter to its conclusion, in sp
Skyesmum
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The latest in the DS Grace series. This one has a shocking start, middle and ending. The action is pretty much full on and I was struggling to put it down as I was wanting to read more. I like the main characters very much.
Steph Lawrence
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark and gritty with lots of lies, the 3rd in the DS Grace Allendale Series, and I loved it.
DS Grace Allendale and her colleague DC Frankie Higgins were at Harrison House on their last call of the day as part of the community intelligence team. Harrison House is a three-storey block of flats, home to an array of people but there was a good community feeling about the place despite lots of tenants coming and going. Its past reputation of being a troublesome area had been improved since the housin
Marina
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hello, there !

it smells like the spring time. I hope you are having a great time. Today is my stop of one terrific blog tour and I am reviewing one very gripping police procedural, written by Mel Sherratt. It is the third book in the series, but I had no problem reading it as a stand-alone book. Many thanks to lovely Sanjana and the amazing team at Avon Books UK for the chance to be part of this blog tour. Don’t forget to visit all the other stops of this amazing blog tour! Enjoy!

A little boy is
Adele Shea
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After Allie Shenton moved on and Grace Allendale came along, I did not think a branching out with Allie in the background would work. I eat my hat and will admit it did work to a point but I find myself missing Allie.

I will eat my hat again if Mel can add anything more to this group of characters.
The Book Review Café
Mel Sherratt’s back! with Liar Liar the third instalment in the DS Grace Allendale series. As the title suggests there are so many lies, and half truths buried within this story, Grace has her work cut out that’s for sure! The book opens with a shocking scene when a young boy called Tyler falls from a balcony in a block of flats. From the start of the investigation it’s apparent the boy’s parents are being evasive, their story doesn’t quite ring true, but why would they lie? Did Tyler fall over ...more
Michelle
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always look forward to a new Mel Sherratt book and I wasn’t disappointed with Liar Liar, the third book in the DS Grace Allendale series.
DS Grace is called to Harrison House where a boy has accidently fallen over a balcony and injured himself. It is supposedly have been an accident but, when DS Grace and her team call for witnesses most of the residents say that they didn’t see anything. Things just don’t add up. Even when DS Grace interview the boy’s parents, she senses that they are not tell
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
I did enjoy this one, but I didn’t feel it was at the same level of the previous books in this series. The back and forth was a bit annoying at first, but I soon realised the why and I think that took the edge off a bit. I saw this one coming. There were a few surprises and it was written well. I do hope that the author explores the Steel connection more, because for me, that is what I’m more interested in at the moment, especially after the seemingly Olive Branch given at the end of this book.
Joanna Park
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a huge fan of this author and this series which in my opinion keeps going from strength to strength. Liar Liar is another gritty, terrifying and just heartbreaking read which will stay with me for a long time.

The case revolves around how and why two year old Tyler managed to fall from a balcony. As the story develops and we learn more about the characters background it soon becomes clear that it’s not as simple investigation as it first appeared.

There are some very interesting characters in
Kerry
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I know I’m in for a treat when there is a new Mel Sherratt book to read and this one blew me away, once again! I honestly don’t know how Mel Sherratt does it.
Liar Liar is the third book in the DS Grace Allendale series and, I think, could be easily enjoyed as a standalone, but I would highly recommend you read books one and two also, if you haven’t already, if for no other reason than you are really missing out if you don’t.
This story is quite terrifying and heart-wrenching. Grace and her
Bridget
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Liar Liar is the third book in the ‘DS Grace Allendale’ thriller series by best-seller author Mel Sherratt and it was a thoroughly enjoyable and first-class read. The first book is Hush Hush, which was followed by Tick Tock. The instalments work perfectly well on their own so you can dive in here should you wish to.

The book kicks off with a shocking scene when a young boy named Tyler falls from a balcony in a block of flats. As Grace and her team begin investigating, it is immediately appar
Joann

Well, I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I might be pretty much done with some of the mystery series I have been following. I'm abandoning the ship on this series. I normally love Mel Sherratt's books but this one seemed to repeat others that I've read. Good girl falls for bad guy. Bad guy tries to leave gang but Head Thug won't let him. Bad Guy gets beaten up. All live in public housing. You get the drift. From now on, I will filter through series that I feel worthy of 4 or more star
Best Crime Books & More
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely LOVING this series and this book was no exception. Grace Allendale is back and this book felt much more focused on the story as opposed to anything personal about Grace. The first two books give you a real insight into her as a character which is great but this one was a pure page turner in terms of what why and who. It starts with a young boy Tyler Douglas ‘falling’ from a block of flats but conveniently nobody saw or heard anything.

At first we just see the storyline develop in
Debra
In this story, we follow DS Grace Allendale who, along with her colleagues, are investigating the tragic event of a young boy potentially being thrown from a balcony in a block of flats in a community where they keep their own secrets and others in the building for fear of their own lives. Along with this, you have what seems to be a 'bigger picture' story that I am guessing is building up with every book in this series but I can't comment on that as I have not yet picked up any of the other boo ...more
Joanne Robertson
Hooray!! It’s book 3 in the DS Grace Allendale series and what a cracker this one turned out to be!! The first few pages set it up to be a thriller from the word go when a heinous crime is witnessed by people living in and near a bloke of flats in Stoke. To begin with I was like “You can’t just describe their reactions to the crime without telling us what it is!” But by no stretch of the imagination did I ever guess what had happened. Thankfully Grace is nearby and the screams that attract her t ...more
Sharon
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a excellent read.

Grace and Frankie happen to be in the area when a boy falls over some railings on a nearby housing estate. At first, it doesn’t seem suspicious, just a nasty accident. However behaviour of the little boy’s parents and reluctance of neighbours to say anything, plus the sight of a man running away from scene raises questions. Was this an accident or had the little boy been hurt purposely?

The story flits between present day and 2010/2012 where we read the story of Ruby, he
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Poison
  • No Fear
  • Dead Wrong (DC Maggie Jamieson, #2)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • Payback
  • Seven Days
  • No Escape
  • The Man She Married
  • The Bermondsey Bookshop
  • Her Last Whisper (Detective Katie Scott, #2)
  • The Family
  • Die Alone (The Bone Field #3; DI Ray Mason #4)
  • Hillary's Back! (DI Hillary Greene, #18)
  • The Guest List
  • Witness
  • When life gives you Lemons
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Deadly Cry (DI Kim Stone #13)
I write police procedurals, psychological suspense and women's fiction with a punch - or grit-lit, as I call it.

I live in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, with my husband and terrier, Dexter (named after the TV serial killer) and makes liberal use of my hometown as a backdrop for some of my books.

You can find out more at my website www.melsherratt.co.uk or I'm on Twitter at @writermels

I also write

DS Grace Allendale (4 books)
  • Hush Hush (DS Grace Allendale, #1)
  • Tick Tock (DS Grace Allendale, #2)
  • Good Girl (DS Grace Allendale, #4)

News & Interviews

“People liked to offload to her, share gossip too. Of course she never said anything to anyone, so she had garnered a certain trust among the regular tenants, often being seen as a confidante. Her eyes and ears were the best things she had” 0 likes
“Her boyfriend had a car! Some of the girls who had seen her must be green with envy.” 0 likes