Start by marking “The Snow Goose” as Want to Read:
The Snow Goose

The Snow Goose

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  2,973 Ratings  ·  370 Reviews
Classic storytelling from a bestselling author. Gallico's most famous story, THE SNOW GOOSE, is set in the wild, desolate Essex marshes and is an intense and moving tale about the relationship between a hunchback and a young girl. THE SMALL MIRACLE is a contemporary fable about a young boy's love for his dangerously ill donkey.
Published February 22nd 2001 by Penguin (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about The Snow Goose, please sign up.
diane marchetti Same as they did after it was written by Gallico. I've loved all his books I've read.
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
The Birds
648 books — 95 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard  AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellAnimal Farm by George OrwellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
1,201 books — 1,539 voters

More lists with this book...

Elina
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Από την κατηγορία με τα διδακτικά παραμύθια - ιστορίες που μπορεί να διαβαστεί από ένα παιδάκι 10 ετών μέχρι και 100!!! Λατρεύω αυτού του είδους τα βιβλία....με συγκινούν πολύ...
Sam Quixote
A hunchback artist called Rhayader moves to a lighthouse to paint the coast and the birds. He lives a lonely existence because of his appearance. The nearby village begins circulating rumours that the hunchback is magical and an ignorant girl called Frith takes a damaged snow goose to him to heal which he does with basic medicine (splints, bandages, etc.). The two bond over the snow goose which returns each year to visit until eventually it settles down to live with Rhayader all year round. Then ...more
Kay
Aug 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Lyrical and touching tale set in WWII, with the climax taking place during Dunkirk. While there's a danger here of crossing over into sentimentality, for me this lovely tale transformed what could have been pat sentiments into something very heartfelt and noble. It's the kind of tale children will remember and adults will cherish. Really a tribute to the human spirit and the bonds that hold us together.

The fact that this was published in April 1941, at a time of massive German air raids on Lond
From BBC Radio 4 - Classical Serial - Neglected Classics:

A wounded bird brings together a disfigured artist and a young girl
and helps in a courageous act of bravery in World War II.

Philip Rhayader ..... Steven Mackintosh

Director ..... Sally Avens

Steven Mackintosh stars in Paul Galli
Rachel Heffington
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have embarked on the helter-skelter habit of choosing books at random and reading them. I bought a 1960's copy of The Snow Goose at a library sale because it looked interesting and I had never heard of it...and I'm a sucker for new literary fare.
I had no expectations of what it might be, so the fact that this slender little volume contained a heart-warming if slightly predictable story made it precious to me. Yes, The Snow Goose crosses the line of sense vs. sentimentality, but no more than Ol
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
A man so repulsive that he had to seek solitude, yet so beautiful that a bird from a faraway place and a young girl found themselves inexplicably drawn to him.

I would have loved to quote here some memorable Little Prince-like passages but a prohibition runs in the opposite page of the inside title. So this is the one I shall quote:

"Copyright 1940 by The Curtis Publishing Company. All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission in writing from the publis
Kate Forsyth
The Snow Goose is set in the years running up to the evacuation of Dunkirk in the Second World War. Originally published in 1940 in the Saturday Evening Post, it was brought out in book form the following year by Knopf, Michael Joseph and M&S simultaneously. It won the prestigious O Henry prize that same year and has been continually in print ever since. The Snow Goose has inspired a number of musical scores and albums, has been made into two feature films and moved generations of readers. A ...more
Bayandur
"The Snow Goose" by Paul Gallico is one of my favorites. It is about life, its hardnesses and wonders, pain and joy coming by its natural route, and war - merciless and unnatural, cruel and indifferent as it is.
This book is really to hard to write about. Very personal to me - the emotional plane is really deep and the characters are well-developed.
The book is about an artist, living in a solitary lighthouse - Philip Rhayader, a local girl - Fritha, their friendship symbolized by the wounded bird
Bettie☯
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Radio 4 listeners
Bethany
I read this book for school and had to write a few paragraphs on it (or something like that). Those aforementioned paragraphs have been sitting on my computer for the past two years and if my memory serves me correctly no one ever actually read them. (I was going to give them to my teacher {AKA mother} but for some reason never got around to it.) I thought I'd post them on here so they didn't go to waste completely.

The message of The Snow Goose is clearly, never fall in love with brave disabled
Maddie
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
My Nana lent me this short story to read, her father passed at Dunkirk so it holds a lot of meaning for her. I found the story wonderful. So great that I was planning out how I'd create a storyboard of it in my head (which I've only done once before).

I'm still debating on whether I want to draw this story out. I know it's a short story and all, but drawing out each panel would take forever. I think I could condense it enough though. It's definitely been added to my list of drawing inspirations.
Jamie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a lover of history and this book did not disappoint. So beautifully written I felt like the words were singing poetry to me! When I saw Frith standing on her tiptoes, raising her hands toward the sky, I cried and cried.
Loved the illustrations that were done by Angela Barrett.
I am definitely adding this to the bookcase I am filling up for my Grandbaby!!
Phil Jensen
A beautiful story of love, sacrifice, beauty, the wonders of nature, and the Dunkirk evacuation. My edition was greatly enhanced by gorgeous, slightly impressionistic paintings by Beth Peck. It's short, so if this sounds good to you, go ahead and pick it up.
Valerie Petersen
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story of love and bravery. Loneliness, the healing of a lost, wounded Snow Goose, a haunting affaire de coeur and the Dunkirk rescue all somehow combine magically. Beautifuully written!
Deanne
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: war
Beautifully written short story with the climax at Dunkirk, difficult to imagine what it must have been like to be stuck on those beaches when that flotilla of boats turned up 60 years ago.
Megan (ReadingRover)
This was not only a beautiful story but it was beautifully written as well. The details of the island made you feel like you were there and the description of the man made you grow to love him. It was heartwarming. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.
elisabeth
a bit of a cute idea but quite dull for people who aren't little kids!
Katrina
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sad but lovely read with beautiful illustrations.
Dee Toomey
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story is a fast read, but don't let the size of the book fool you. It is a beautiful story...and might I add, you may want a box of kleenix near when you read it. Some of it is written in a manner that is a bit hard to read, as the author wrote parts in the dialect that would be used by the character when spoken in English. Worth the time to re-read a few lines to understand what was said.
Tatyana Naumova
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Очередной must read.
Fani *loves angst*
Makes me cry like a baby every time I read it; it's one hell of a book. Amazing writing, vivid imagery, touching story... if only it was longer!
Wanda
Nov 29, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wanda by: Laura
30 NOV 2014 - recomended by Laura. See Laura's review here -- https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
J.C.
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
A short review for a small and simply-written book, a re-reading for me for perhaps the third or fourth time. “The Snow Goose” is a cameo, a brief tale of hurt, love and destruction; but beauty runs through it like a knife. In 1930 a disfigured artist comes to live alone in a lighthouse, in the marshes of south-east England. The Snow Goose is brought to him by a young local girl. I won’t say how the story develops, as this would definitely spoil it for anyone who doesn’t know what it is about, b ...more
Tracey
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this little, overlooked classic. It is set in the wild beauty of the Essex marshland, where a disabled artist lives in quiet harmony with his surroundings. Gallico added an injured snow goose and a young girl as untouched and beautiful as her surroundings and made a lyrical tale of a meeting of souls.

Published just after the Dunkirk evacuation, it carries a message of the power of doing what is right, defending the defenseless and that real beauty is a measure of the inner man.
Catherine Harris
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful and moving story.
Amanda
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was really touched by this short tale. Almost feels like a fable.
Sara Grossaint
I knew literally nothing about this going in. I saw a few of the illustrations on Tumblr and really wanted to check it out.

The illustrations were truly gorgeous, especially in print, but the writing just didn't stand up against them for me. It was a nice enough story, but I just didn't feel the impact.
Leon van den Hoven
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The other John
I'm not sure what to call this--a 20th century fable? It's a short tale of Philip Rhayader, a kind and artistic soul with a deformed body. In his twenties, he moves to the English seacoast to live in seclusion, away from the repulsive looks and attitudes of "normal" people. He spends his time painting, sailing his boat and caring for the birds that take up residence in his property. He finds peace in this lifestyle, but one day a young girl from the nearby village brings a injured snow goose to ...more
Damon
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
My mom gave this book to me.

Hidden in the sleeve, I found a decaying envelope with a letter enclosed:

"My dearest friend,

Just after you visited me last Easter I heard this story played on the radio. I liked it so much, Paul, it reminded me of the things you had written which you read to me in the park the first afternoon of your visit. When I wrote you about "The Snow Goose" you asked me to write you the story, but I was dismayed to find that some of the details had escaped me. When I heard it w
Goodreads Librari...: combine edition 3 19 Jul 13, 2012 10:14PM
  • Look at Me
  • The Parasites
  • The Silent Duchess
  • Diary of a Mad Old Man
  • My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright: My History of the Second World War 1939-1945
  • Living
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • The Red Badge of Courage (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Brother Sun, Sister Moon: Saint Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Creatures
  • The Collaborators
  • Tarka the Otter
  • What the Witch Left
  • Green Mansions
  • The Heat of the Day
Paul William Gallico was born in New York City, on 26th July, 1897. His father was an Italian, and his mother came from Austria; they emigrated to New York in 1895.

He went to school in the public schools of New York, and in 1916 went to Columbia University. He graduated in 1921 with a Bachelor of Science degree, having lost a year and a half due to World War I. He then worked for the National Boar

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage