Start by marking “The Meaning of Persons” as Want to Read:
The Meaning of Persons

The Meaning of Persons

On the back of this book, there is a quote from the Pastoral Psychology Book Club Bulletin that provides a nice description. It reads, "Dr. Tournier fully accepts the important contributions of Freud, Jung, and the other psychiatrists and integrates them in his work as well as in theory, but he significantly and wisely illustrates through actual counseling situations that ...more
Published December 1st 1997 by Buccaneer Books (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Meaning of Persons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Meaning of Persons

Start your review of The Meaning of Persons
Jeremiah P
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had never read a Paul Tournier (sounds like Turnyare), even though I can't tell you how many times I've seen his name mentioned over the years. So, when his name came up yet again (in the context of Trinitarian theology), I decided it was time to grab one of his books off the shelf. My only regret is that I didn't read it earlier.

I enjoyed Sarte and Camus as a teen. But the philosophy behind their fiction was always locked to me. I just couldn't get into it. "Being precedes essence" and exist
Chad
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon this book while scrolling through my Wordpress reader. On a blog I am following called 'On Being', there was an article by Eugene Peterson titled "On Congruence: The Beauty of Uniting Who We are and How We Act." In it, the author recalled attending a lecture by the author, Paul Tournier. He recounts the experience:

But there was something else: Paul Tournier himself. During the lecture I had the growing feeling that who he was and what he was saying were completely congruent. He h
Karson
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, identity
Read this one a while ago. It is by a Calvinist Swiss Psychoanalyst. Basic point: There is the Person (core) and everything they wrap themselves with (personage.) Most of our interactions with other people are just personages rubbing against one another. Rarely our persons (real selves) touch. Whenever that happens God is there. He calls it true "dialogue." I loved it when i read it. It is translated so it doesn't flow super great, but i think there is wisdom in the pages!!
خدمة المشورة
ترجمة عربي سيئة وغير مفهومة لكتاب غامض وصعب بالأساس، ولكاتب عميق وغير سهل الأسلوب يكتب الفرنسية ببراعة. لذلك أرى أنه اتحرق ع الفاضي في العربي
Sarah M.  Adly
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أحد إبداعات بول تورنيه العظيمة جدا جدا... كتاب اكتر من رائع بجد.
هو بس ليس من كتب السهلة و لكن هذة طبيعة كتابات بول تورنييه. لم أجد صعوبة في ترجمته العربية و لكن لا انكر صعوبته علي وجه العام.
الكتاب متكون من أربع أجزاء و كل جزء في كذا فصل.
الجزء الثاني تحت عنوان الحياة بالنسبة لي كان صعب و لا انكر إن تحصيله منه لا يتعدي 10% ..
لكن جمال بقية كتاب بالذات الجزء الاول بيتكلن عن من أنا و إزاي الانسان متناقض و الجزء الأخير بتاع ذات الحقيقة و تواصل معها و مع الله و الاخرين.
كم انت عظيم يا بول تورنيه ...شكر
John Lipton
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The best book I've read dealing with psychology from the perspective of Christian faith. Dr. Tournier's assessments are as fresh today, more than fifty years after they first appeared in print, as they were at the time of publication.
Crossroads Ecc
Jan 13, 2012 marked it as to-read
Christianity Today editors' description: Swiss physician Paul Tournier awakened us to the deep interconnectedness of the physical, the emotional, and the spiritual.
Myriam M. Hanna
بالرغم من ضعف الترجمة وعدم جودة الإخراج الفني وسوء التحرير، إلا أن هذا الكتاب يحوي الكثير من الأفكار القيمة..
Circle of Hope Pastors
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dr. Tournier fully accepts the important contributions of Freud, Jung, and the other psychiatrists and integrates them in his work as well as in theory, but he significantly and wisely illustrates through actual counseling situations that this alone is not enough to understand and to help, for "only through living dialogue between man and man, and man and God' can the authentic person be relieved, reached, and helped."

All Tournier books are little gems of integration of faith and psychology. He
Lydia
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me several months to finish, but I absolutely loved this. Definitely worth re-reading multiple times. Dr. Tournier's keen psychological insight combined with genuine Christian love for people provide a very compelling treatise on what it means to be an image-bearer.
Mark
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, spiritual
Interesting because most people in his profession certainly don't think to care for the inner personality of their patients the way he does.
Ben Fredrick
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is really a fantastic book on so many levels. First, he's a must-read for Christian doctors and therapists and pastors etc. Second, he has incredible insight into the intersection between the spiritual and the 'soulical' (mind, body, etc) aspects of life. I'll need to re-read this one many times!
Andrew
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what expectations I had of this book, so the rating is perhaps somewhat unfair, unmotivated. At any rate, it turns out the content is a kind of existentialistic Calvinism. Interesting enough in its own right.
Beshoo
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
هناك طريقتين لمعرفة الانسان .. الاول موضوعى و الثانى عملى و ذاتى و يدرك بالحدس .. واحد يتم من خلال التحليل المنطقى و التقييم الدقيق و الثانى يحتاج الى فهم كامل .. واحد يحتاج الى تقدم متوالى ولا نهائى و الثانى هو اكتشاف مفاجى و كامل

كالعادة بول تورنيية رائع :)
خدمة المشورة

« previous 1 3 4 next »

• She Came to Stay
  • Starting Right: Thinking Theologically about Youth Ministry
  • Practicing Passion: Youth and the Quest for a Passionate Church
  • Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?
  • The Historical Jesus: The Life of a Mediterranean Jewish Peasant
  • Nightmare Age
  • People of the Lie: The Hope for Healing Human Evil
  • Open Your Mind, Open Your Life: A Little Book of Eastern Wisdom
  • The Indispensable Composers: A Personal Guide
  • Hotbox: Inside Catering, the Food World's Riskiest Business
  • La bicyclette bleue, 1939-1942 (La bicyclette bleue, #1)
  • The Twisted Muse: Musicians and Their Music in the Third Reich
  • A Hall of Mirrors
  • Thus Spoke Zarathustra
  • Kangaroo
  • James Joyce's Ulysses
  • The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce, #10)
  • The First Time: Tracks and Tales from Music Legends
Paul Tournier was a Swiss physician and author who had acquired a worldwide audience for his work in pastoral counselling. His ideas had a significant impact on the spiritual and psychosocial aspects of routine patient care, and he had been called the twentieth century's most famous Christian physician.

News & Interviews