Start by marking “All We Left Behind” as Want to Read:
All We Left Behind

All We Left Behind

The Secret Orphan meets The Tattooist of Auschwitz with a dash of Wild Swans

A powerful and incredibly moving historical novel inspired by an untold story of the Second World War.

Vancouver 1941

As the war rages around the world, Hitlers fury is yet to be felt on the peaceful shores of Mayne Island. Sweethearts Hayden and Chidori are in love.

But everything changes after

Published January 10th 2020 by One More Chapter

To ask other readers questions about All We Left Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All We Left Behind

Start your review of All We Left Behind
Erin
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle

Thanks to Netgalley and HarperCollins UK/ One More Chapter for an egalley in exchange for an honest review.

Set on British Columbia's Mayne Island in the 1940s, a fishing community where two childhood friends find love. Despite parental objections, Hayden and Chidori begin to plan their future. But as rumors swirl from the mainland and the bombing of Pearl Harbor takes place, the Canadian government begins rounding up their Japanese-Canadian citizens, including Chidori and her family.
Karren  Sandercock
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley, Danielle R. Graham for my digital copy of her new book: All We Left Behind.

Hayden Pierce and Chidori Setoguchi are childhood friends they grow up together in Mayne Island in Canada. As children they played together, they got into all kinds of mischief as six year olds, a group of them all hung out together as teenagers and now both are young adults. Girls mature faster than boys, so Chidori knew she was falling in love with her best friend and eventually Hayden discovers he
Mandi1082
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was provided an ARC of this book from Netgalley and Harper Collins UK in returned for an honest review.

All We Could Not Leave Behind takes place during WWII. Even though this book is based mostly about the friendship and love of two characters Hayden and Chidori you see the struggles and what it really means to never give up hope. When Chidori family is kick out of there home for being Japanese Candian during the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Chidori and her family is sent to an internment camp.
Andi
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much.
I liked the story between Chi and Hayden, their young love and how it blossomed into something much more.
You can't help but smile at some of the moments in the book, such as the camaraderie between Hayden and some of his friends who were there for him when he needed them.

I knew a little bit about how the Japanese were treated in the US, but not in .
It goes to show how easily hate is spread and the damage caused by it.

Thanks to NetGalley, Danielle Graham and
Whitney
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Normally Im not a huge fan of novels that skip around in timeline, but this time it was seamlessly done and added something extra to this story. From the very first chapter I was hooked and wanted to know more about Chidori and Hayden; from their prewar relationship to how they each survived the war.
Reading about the Walt early relationship reflected the rosy view of a couple who had yet to be tested. Yet the evolution and growth that both went through during the war (Chidori was forced to an
Les Romantiques
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Les Romantiques le forum du site
Reviewed by Rinou
Review copy by the publisher

I usually avoid love stories taking place during war periods because I always fear bad surprises, but I was attracted by this novels synopsis, and if it wasnt quite what I was expecting at first I dont regret my reading, on the contrary.

Chidori and Hayden have known each other from childhood and theyve
Rachel
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All We Left Behind by Danielle Graham is a fabulous, gripping historical fiction piece focussing on one of the lesser covered subjects in recent HF offerings concerning Japanese internment camps in Canada during WWII.

I had read about Japanese internment camps in America, but I did not know this shameful behavior also occurred in Canada as well.

This book is so much more then just friends, equals, lovers separated due to circumstances beyond their control. This is a story of heartbreak, loss,
Beth Godmon
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
*Thank you Harper Collins and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Hayden and Chidori are very much in love, but are separated during the Second World War. Hayden joins the Canadian Air Force, whilst Chidori is forcibly removed from Mayne Island, due to her Japanese heritage. This book follows their lives as teenagers, and then their lives as in the military and as prisoners.

This is a new adult book, full of surprises, suspense and touching moments. But most of
Shreedevi Gurumurty
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A heartwrenching, moving, powerful story of wartime love and devotion, inspired by true events.
In Vancouver, Canada in 1941, World War two rages around the world, but Hitlers fury is yet to be felt on the peaceful shores of Mayne Island, located midway between the Lower Mainland of BC and Vancouver Island. Sweethearts Hayden Pierce and Chidori Setoguchi are deeply in love with each other and hope for a future together, but current times are dangerous and uncertain. But everything changes after
Sydney Long
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Growing up in Canada, the Second World War seemed so far away to Chidori and Hayden. As children, they were only vaguely aware of heritage with Chidori being a Japanese Canadian. That didnt matter to them one bit. They became best friends and over time, friendship turned to love. Their bond was one that could not be broken even when the attack on Pearl Harbor that changed everything.

Suddenly, Chidori and her family were interned in a camp for enemies of the state and Hayden rose to the occasion
Keelin Rita
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2020
I'm so torn between a three and a four. The first third really had me sloughing and I considered dnfing this, but then it kicked up and problems I initially had were fixed quite a bit and it made it much easier to read and enjoy the story. Idk, I might change it I might not. Since I've seen people comparing this to the Nightingale, personally I don't really see it and also this is much better in a lot of ways in my opinion. I did receive this arc through NetGalley, but all opinions expressed are ...more
Kelly Mongan
All We Left Behind follows the story of Hayden and Chidori as they explore their feelings for each other amidst the implications of World War II. Chidori faces the hardships of Japanese Canadians as they are looked down upon and eventually interned. Hayden is desperate to do whatever it takes to hold on to Chidori, which includes volunteering to fight in hopes of ending the war.

This novel spans the time period of 1941-1945 and is told mainly from Hayden's perspective as he goes off to war and
Rachel
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Kim Pet
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be kind. Be yourself. And never let anyone tell you who you should or shouldnt love.
Graham delves into the lives and loves of friends residing in Canada around World War II and the roles that their race and class played in their stories. Japanese internment during this time was an injustice that spread into Canada and affected the life of Chidori and her family, while her love went off to fight the war. The horrors and triumphs of their lives during this time come together eventually as Graham
Karen
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I love the cover of this book! Second, I did not realize that there were Japanese internment camps in Canada. All We Left Behind is the story of Hayden and Chidori. Hayden is called to fight in WWII. He asks his Japanese Canadian girlfriend to wait for him. Hayden finds himself in a POW Camp and Chi and her family are interned. When Hayden returns Chi and her family are not there. I thought this was a good premise for a story but the execution was lacking. Thank you NetGalley and One More ...more
Gail Atkins
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such an interesting read. I never knew about the unfortunate treatment of Japanese Canadians in British Columbia during WW2.
A great story of friendship, love, barriers, prejudices and the impact of the 2nd WW; as well as life as a POW in Poland.
I would recommend this book to those who enjoy modern history.
Amy
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kerrie Roache
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Captivating

Following the lives of Hayden and Chidori during WWll has been a powerful experience. The injustices and horrors of war being balanced by the strength of love and human bonds made for a captivating read.
Shkolnikjx
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book very much. The characters were well drawn and the story flowed seamlessly. Highly recommended.
Sue Trapp
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This book had some interesting facts about Canada and WWII but I felt that this was written for a very young reader.
Gail
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovetoread

Beautiful love story. Shows that race doesnt matter only love and compatibility. Love will get you through it all. Thank you
Jennifer Sanders
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly good book, emotionally wrenching at times, hard to put down. The last couple of chapters make the previous tears worth it. I'm so glad I read it!
Georgina
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a real mixed bag for me, so I'll start with the positives first. I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, especially that which is based around WW2, so I was always going to request this as soon as I saw the synopsis! I was also really excited to learn about an aspect of the war that I'd not previously known. As a citizen of the UK, my understanding of WW2 is focused largely on what happened in Britain and Europe. Recently, I have read some books about how America viewed the war, but never ...more
Mary Martin
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lot of insight into the lives of Japanese Canadians during WWII. Hayden & Chidori have been friends since childhood. As they mature the friendship develops into a more serious relationship. Their worst fears were realized when Chidori & her family were interned in camps simply because they were of Japanese descent. Hayden believes the best way to resolve their separation is to enlist & help bring the war to an end. Unfortunately he is captured by the Nazis & subjected to ...more
Miranda K.
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Many people are at least vaguely familiar with some of the tragic facts surrounding Japanese-American internment during World War II. What many readers may not know, however, is that similar travesties occurred in Canada after both the U.S. and Canada declared war on Japan after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Hayden grew up on Mayne Island - near Vancouver - on Canadas west coast. He loves baseball and discovers he also loves his classmate, Chidori. The only problem with their perfect story is
Rums The Reader
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shirley
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Their love could not be broken.

This is a story of friendship, war and a forbidden love which cannot be broken. The time is the beginning of WWII and the bombing of Pearl Harbor. The setting is an isle on the coast of Canada.

Hayden and Chidori grew up together. They played together as children, became close friends as teens and fell in love as young adults. Now they are looking at college, but WWII comes along. Chidori is Japanese American and Hayden is Canadian. They start getting disapproving
Jeanie
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
In the mist of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there's something stronger - something better, pushing right back.

When a story sticks close to home, it sticks to the heart. My father-in-law brought his bride from Japan in the late 50's along with their son. It is their youngest son whom I married and have two girls. My mother in law as passed away, but she shared with
Sydney Long

• The Secret Messenger
  • When We Were Brave
  • The Outcast Girls
  • The Orphan Thief
  • The Occupation: Loyalties are pushed to the limits in this powerful wartime saga
  • The Forgotten Girls
  • The Child On Platform One: Inspired by the children who escaped the Holocaust
  • The Child of Auschwitz
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • The Brothers of Auschwitz
  • Under Darkening Skies
  • Wie Gräser im Wind (Tage des Sturms, #1)
  • Raking Light from Ashes: A WW2 Jewish Girl's Holocaust Survival True Story (World War II Survivor Memoir Book 4)
  • The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
  • Home Fire
Danielle R. Graham is a multi-published author and art and play therapist. Her contemporary novels can be found at the Goodreads Author Profile D.R. Graham.