Start by marking “He Will Get You (Maddie Ives #5)” as Want to Read:
He Will Get You (Maddie Ives #5)

He Will Get You

(Maddie Ives #5)

A KILLER WHO LOVES TO WATCH THE RESULTS OF THE HAVOC HE WREAKS

DETECTIVE MADDIE IVES FACES HER WORST NIGHTMARE.

Lance Askew is a career serial killer. He lives for it.

THE FIRST VICTIM

Alice Oxley runs her own café. An older man has become a regular over the last month. He likes to people watch. He doesn’t say much.

When he does speak. It comes from nowhere, he waits until she
Published April 10th 2020 by Joffe Books Mystery, Crime Thriller, Suspense Fiction (first published April 2020)

To ask other readers questions about He Will Get You, please sign up.
Charlie Gallagher Depends on the size of the font on your Kindle!

Depends on the size of the font on your Kindle!

Around 100,000 words which will be around 360 pages for the paperback. I haven't seen the paperback yet so I can't confirm this number exactly! (based on the previous book of a similar length).

Hope this helps.
CG(less)

Start your review of He Will Get You (Maddie Ives #5)
Lisa
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
As always, I'm pissed off that my review, and rating is not counted. I did review this. Matter of fact, it is down below. Netgalley and good reads needs to get their shit together. This next year? I'm not counting my books. Netgalley has managed to mess up my count for the last 5 years. Netgalley needs to get with the program. I'm sick and tired of reviewing a Netgalley book, only to have it not count on my updated, good reads books. So bothersome!
So, yes. This is my second review. No, it has no
Lisa
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thanks to Joffe Books, the author, Charlie Gallagher and Netgalley.
This is a story that I've pondered over the last day or so. Truth is that I liked this book enough to drop any other book I was reading.
Still, something was missing. The deaths are gruesome. Normally, I appreciate that! This time? Honestly, for me, they came very close to my thin line.
I thought it was a really good to nearly excellent book. That last bit though. Shit, that was a low blow. I didn't like it. It could have been
Luvtoread
Terrific Crime Thriller! Maddie Ives is the head DI assigned to a case where a brutal murder has taken place without any incriminating evidence left on the scene. As her team is investigating neighbors or any possible witnesses another body is discovered with almost the identical crime scene and Maddie fears there is a serial killer in their midst. In the meantime her dear friend Vince who is also on the police force is out on mandatory leave due to his partner being shot in and unsolved shootin ...more
Linda Strong
First you know the WHO .. then you know the WHY.

Lance Askew is a serial killer ... a man who takes his work seriously. He also derives great pleasure in what he does. He's been hired to kill ....

So far there have been 3 victims of his diabolical plans. Maddie Ives and Harry Blaker are the detectives who must stop this killer. And he is far from finished.

It becomes very personal when one of their own is targeted.

Because this author has been a serving UK police officer for 10 years, I expected a g
Louise Wilson
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maddie Ives is back on the trail of a cold blooded killer. Maddie and Harry have to race against time to try and catch the killer before any other murders take place.

I really like this police procedural series. The book is tense, thrilling, scary and creepy. I was pulled into the story from the beginning and it didn't let go until the end. I like the authors style 8n writing this series. He also has great attention to detail. The descriptions are quite vivid. The pace is steady. This ook could b
Lou
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He Will Get You is the fifth instalment in the excellent Detective Superintendant Maggie Ives series set in Canterbury and boy oh boy this is the most addictive and thoroughly absorbing to date. Gallagher's crime fiction is always full of gritty realism that is usually missing in books of this nature but his former job as a police officer certainly infuses the story with an air of authenticity and believability.

Maggie and her superior Detective Inspector Harry Blaker are called out to investiga
booktuberbuddy
MY REVIEW

The Plot of Story is intense yet interesting. Storyline is engaging throughout. I loved the Writing Style of Charlie, simple and straightforward. It’s a fast paced novel with presence of what next element in every chapter, which kept me intrigued all the time. Narration is in the first person POV, with different characters speaking in different sections of a chapter. This really helped to get perspective of what was going on in the mind of Killer, Victim and Cops.

Characters were portray
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HE WILL GET YOU is a gripping page turner, the pace never slows down! I like the authors ideas - his writing style for this story - and I haven't come across such an evil, warped-minded villain for a long, long time - he is insane! But fair. He is created perfectly for his role, as are the regular characters.
WHY is Lance Askew picking people off? What is he gaining from it? - well, you won't have long to find out!
We are lucky, we are able to see some scenes from the killers point of view, but o
Books 'n' All  Promotions
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So Maddie and Harry are back in book 5 but if you haven't read the earlier books it is fine they work perfectly as stand alone.
A serial killer is on the loose. A very dangerous one who not only likes to watch his victims slowly die but also watch the pain and havoc their murder creates.
Maddie and Harry are an interesting team they are complete opposites but they work together brilliantly each with their own unique personality and skills. I must also mention Vince. What a character he is he brin
booklover BEV
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vince Arnold and Tim Betts are doing an area search patrolling the car park, they are both crewed up together. Vince hears a noise and someone is running, after telling Tim to head him off he gives chase. grabbing the man he is told they are going to kill me, a voice behind him your mate down there has been shot, the rain was belting down so at gun point he was told to go down but it was too late he finds Tim lying in a pool of blood. It all happened so fast and Daniel Mason got what was coming ...more
Alyson Read
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in the series featuring DS Maddie Ives and DI Harry Blaker based in Canterbury, and it's an excellent addition to the series. At the start of the series DS Maddie Ives had been working undercover in Manchester for years until disobeying orders meant that she had to move right across the country to a Major Crimes posting in Langhorne in the south east, leaving behind a lover she wasn't even supposed to have due to his connections to a criminal gang. Then a nasty shoot out i ...more
peggy
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another of my favourite authors and boy what a page turner. The fifth book in the Maddie Ives series and in my opinion the best one yet. A serial killer who lives to to see the destruction he has caused up close. He is known as the Tax Man and he loves what he does. Gritty and hard hitting. A tour de force of a read which kept me glued to my seat and got my heart racing. A first rate crime thriller which I devoured in one sitting. If you want a brutal, authentic, gritty and must read crime thril ...more
Patricia Burton
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for lover's of gritty crime novels!

How wonderful to meet up with Maddie Ives and Harry Blaker once again, I love this duo for too many reasons to mention. As is always the case with Charlie Gallagher's books it doesn't mess about with irrelevant page filler. The first pages hit the ground running, dropping the reader into a nightmare of terror beyond imagination!

I won't be giving away any secrets to spoil other readers enjoyment, something that angers me more than anything , I
Tracy Wood
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a routine enquiry ends badly for PC Vince Arnold he has no idea of the evil that is about to be unleashed. Signed off from work he can only watch from the sidelines as his colleagues chase their tails trying to find the person responsible for some of the worst killings the force has had to deal with. Experienced detectives Maddie Ives and Harry Blaker know they are looking for an organised, cold blooded killer but even they can't imagine just how bad things are going to get.

Charlie Gallaghe
loopyloulaura
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In her latest case, Maddie Ives faces a serial killer who is relentless and relishes the pain he causes. Lance has been hired by a gangster, Mason, whose son died and he blames the police officer involved. Lance agrees to kill PC Vince Arnold but to hide it amongst other murders so that the police canot trace it back to Mason.
The grotesque nature of the deaths is described in grisly detail as Lance enjoys his work and poses his victims to display them for their poor families and the police.
We ar
Cid
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another EXCELLENT Crime Thriller by one of my favorite authors!

HE WILL GET YOU is the fifth police procedural by Charlie Gallagher, featuring Detective Maddie Ives. I've read every one of them, as well as the other books written by the author. He has never written anything I haven't thoroughly enjoyed & he will get you is no exception. When I see a new release by the author, I jump on it, because he really is that good!

Ghallagher is an insider who actually works for the police force. If you lik
Cathy Geha
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He Will Get You by Charlie Gallagher
Detective Madde Ives #5

A policeman dead
A father who wants his son’s death avenged
A fiendish killer who loves his job
Detectives called to a murder scene
Hints about who will be next
Looking through the eyes of the murderer
Imagining “What IF”

This book was intense, dark and gritty as it told of death, destruction of lives and how the police went about trying to find the killer. It kept me interested from beginning to end.

What I liked:
* Maddie: She was focused, sm
Esme
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, netgalley
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I've not read any of the previous books, but that did not matter in the slightest. The characters were believable, the situations realistic. The pure evil of the antagonist seeps off the pages.

I love Maddie Ives, Vince and Harry. The other characters were all fully fleshed even when they only appeared for a few moments and this only drew me into the story further. Even hints to characters backgrounds weren't distracting enough for me to think I'd missed something
Elaine Tomasso
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Joffe Books for an advance copy of He Will Get You, the fifth novel to feature DS Maddie Ives of the Canterbury Police.

Lance Askew is a hitman who conceives of a plan to hide his latest contract among other deaths. Maddie and her boss, DI Harry Blaker, are called out to a vicious murder where Lance tells the victim’s partner he has killed him. With another murder shortly afterwards Harry and Maddie come to realise that Lance is relishing the suffering of the s
Lesley Davison
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh my goodness! I had to force myself to put this book down and I only did that because I didn’t want it to end too quickly! Charlie Gallagher is brilliant! I LOVED this book!

I have been eagerly awaiting this book and it arrived just as I had started another book. It took all my self control not to abandon the one I was reading and start He Will Get You, but it felt like a wrapped Christmas present sitting in my Kindle and looking forward to it and knowing it was there was a lovely feeling! I s
Marion
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Major Crimes is about to be presented with one of their most taxing cases yet.
In this fifth book DS Maddie Ives and DI Harry Blaker find their team a man down.When PC Arnold and his partner were confronted by an armed man only Vince walked away.
Seriously considering his future in the force he is on sick leave.
In the incident another man was killed, his crime family seeking revenge, hire an assassin.
The man is known to the criminal fraternity as The Tax Man... he never fails to collect.
Lance A
Carole Gourlay
This is another brilliant book by one of my favourite authors. Just what we all need in the lockdown.

However, I thought the killer this time was one of the worst he’s written about! What a horrible man. You wouldn’t know he was there spying on you, watching every move and relishing in it when he’s killed you.

If I hadn’t got dogs, I’d be looking under my stairs in case anyone was there!

Poor Harry and Maddie are at a loss to find this maniac in a race against time, and the ending. .......

Waitin
Barbara Williams
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really impressed!

So impressed with this series. And to make things even better, each story gets more intriguing, more interesting and involved then the one before it. The characters seem so familiar to me now, almost like real friends. Officer Gallagher has a real talent for taking his knowledge and experiences from his day job and turning them into a very worthwhile day of reading enjoyment. Hopefully no one on this team will be retiring anytime soon. Thank you for the escape!
Charlton Lane
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Reading it was like catching up with friends after a lapse of time - Maddie, Harry and Vince - and seeing how they how are. This is book 5 of the series and for me the best so far and the story flowed seamlessly.
As the twisted killer takes his toll and and Maddie and Harry and Vince are left to play catch up whilst dealing with their own lives.

The story kept me in suspense from the beginning to the end and no one is left untouched by events. I was sad when it finished and went
LindyLooC
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant page turner, I loved it!
The Maddie Ives and Harry Blaker series is first rate but, I think this is the best yet! Athough it could be be read as a standalone any lover of police procedurals starting here would mean missing an excellent series. What a cold hearted, chilling character the killer is, but utterly compelling.
Also, very shocking events towards the end. Charlie how could you do that?
Very highly recommended. Hope it won't be too long before the next book - please!
Liz Degen
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Another amazing book by CG! You never can predict where the story will go. This book has me gripped from the very start. I couldn't break away from reading it then having to step away so I could absorb the latest twist to being almost immediately compelled to pick it right back up to carry on. Definitely need a few glasses of Rioja after this read! Highly recommended!
Nerys Roberts
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s a serial killer in Canterbury - two men have been gruesomely killed; their children in the house while it happened and the mothers called back to the home to find the bodies. What the police don’t know is that these killings are to put them off the real target. The real target is PC Vince Arnold - he was present when a man was shot dead; during the same incident Vince’s partner was shot and killed. Now the victim’s dad wants Vince dead and has hired a killer.

I’ve read all of this series
M R B Davis
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A gripping story.

The murder of a criminal boss' son results in a series of murders of an unnatural nature to, finally, end the life of a police constable. Things take a twist! Maddie Ives, appears to lose her relationship with Adam and the whole experience has a fundamental impact on Maddie and the force. This is a gripping story. Very difficult to stop reading. It has left me emotional!
Andrea Miller
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
On the edge of my seat the whole book! It's like I wanted to close my eyes so I couldn't see what was next....but I had to read! Super suspense. I also enjoyed the British idioms used. It made for a different reading experience for me. This was the first book I read by Mr. Gallagher. Can't wait to read more! ...more
Leanne Fisher
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic installment from the DS Maddie Ives series.

I won't focus too much on the storyline as others have done that. We know who the killer is, we know why he is killing so we just need to let Maddie and Harry arrest him. Sounds simple but it is anything but that. I was reading this book thinking like that but was hit with a curve ball I never saw coming, I actually felt sucker punched.

I have found and read this series of books very recently and I cannot recommend them highly enough.
« previous 1 3 next »
Is this a series? 2 4 Apr 04, 2020 03:06AM

• Dead Wicked (Calladine & Bayliss #10)
  • Killing The Girl
  • Before He Kills Again (Detective Cassie Rowan #1)
  • See Her Die (Detective Jeff Rickman #2)
  • See Her Burn (Detective Jeff Rickman #1)
  • Gone to Darkness (Sydney Rose Parnell, #4)
  • A Secret for a Secret (All In, #3)
  • The Rule of All (The Rule of One, #3)
  • Chasing Melody
  • Frank Vaughn Killed by his Mom
  • The Run and Hide (The Brotherhood Chronicle, Volume 2)
  • The Second World Wars: How the First Global Conflict Was Fought and Won
  • 55 slightly sinister stories
  • The Brotherhood
  • The Best of Friends
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between
  • Aethyr
  • Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters
Charlie Gallagher has been a serving UK police officer for eleven years. During that time he has had many roles, starting as a front-line response officer, then a member of a specialist tactical team and is currently a detective investigating serious offences.

Maddie Ives (6 books)
  • He Is Watching You (Maddie Ives, #1)
  • He Will Kill You (Maddie Ives, #2)
  • He Will Find You (Maddie Ives, #3)
  • He Knows Your Secrets
  • The Deadly Houses (Detective Maddie Ives #6)