Start by marking “Green Lantern, Volume 7: Rage of the Red Lanterns” as Want to Read:
Green Lantern, Volume 7: Rage of the Red Lanterns

Green Lantern, Volume 7: Rage of the Red Lanterns

(Green Lantern (2005) #7)

Superstar writer Geoff Johns (Green Lantern, The Flash, Action Comics, JSA) unleashes a spectrum of adventure in this tale, which sees an all-new, all-evil Red Lantern Corps let loose on the galaxy!

As a prelude to the highly anticipated 2009 Green Lantern storyline Blackest Night, this collection sets up the events that Geoff Johns has been leading to since he relaunched t
Published July 7th 2009 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Green Lantern, Volume 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Lantern, Volume 7

Alejandro
The Spectrum of colors expands!

This TPB edition contains “Green Lantern” #26-28; #36-38, and “Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns” #1. Featuring the “Rage of the Red Lanterns” event.

Creative Team:

Writer: Geoff Johns

Illustrators: Mike McKone, Shane Davis & Ivan Reis

TASTING BLOOD

The Sinestro Corps War was supposedly a victory to the Green Lantern Corps…

…but a new law in the Book of Oa had to be approved…

…Lethal Force was enabled against any member of the Sinestro Corps.

The Guardians of
Richard
In this follow-up to The Sinestro Corps War, the increasingly paranoid and fearful Guardians have not only granted the Green Lanterns permission to use lethal force against any enemy of the Corps, but have also formed the Alpha Lanterns , an internal affairs division of the corps.

Geoff Johns begins to really deepen the Green Lantern mythology and continues to move steadily toward the fulfillment of the Blackest Night and War of Light prophecies by introducing more colors of the Emotional Spectr
Bradley
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I find myself fascinated by the whole emotional light spectrum, and the Reds really turned out some freaky characters. Of course, nothing beats messing with Hal when it comes to story time. I think the Blues hold the best promise, and the Violet's the greatest danger, but this is just too obvious, all considering.

Fun stuff. ;)
Sesana
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Probably knowing more about the Green Lantern Corps than I do would be helpful here. Certainly knowing what the Sinestro Corps was all about would have been nice. But I didn't really need that to enjoy this trade.

There are seven issues here. The first three detail the founding of the Alpha Lanterns, surgically altered Green Lanterns that serve essentially as internal affairs. Necessary now that the rings have been authorized to use lethal force against all enemies. The last four issues are abou
Rafael Gimenes
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Acabei de ler esse LAcrE. Me julguem, mas é por isso que leio lanterna verde. Não sei direito como explicar. Mas toda a trama que existe no universo de lanterna verde me intriga muito. Seus superiores corruptos, um vilão sempre 1km a frente do herói, o espectro emocional das cores. Ai, enfim. Esse quadrinho me lembrou de tudo de bom que os quadrinhos de heróis super comerciais ainda tem para nos oferecer <3
Marco
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Each volume is trashier than the one before, I can't wait for this agony to end.
Lissibith
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Oh, Hal Jordan. You and I have such a terrible relationship, and it was not improved by Rage of the Red Lanterns.

To be sure, there is some interesting stuff here, including the birth of a new Corps. and the creation of a new division within the Green Lantern Corps. But the focus of the book - and this sucks if you're not a fan - is on Hal Jordan, how awesome he is, and on his ever-evolving relationship with Sinestro. And that other stuff can't save this book for me because Hal is Just. So. Whi
Damon
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Quite interesting and very colourful.
Quentin Wallace
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another volume in whats probably the greatest Green Lantern run ever. In this volume we see a Green Lantern tried for murder in a situation that makes one question just when lethal force is authorized for the Lanterns. Sinestro is on Death Row, but his sentence is interrupted by the Red Lanterns, an event which also heralds the first appearance of the Blue Lanterns. The Violet Lanterns are also lurking on the fringes, so this volume is pivotal as far as character introductions go.

The art is gre
EJ
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Actually 4.5 stars

All I can say after reading this is that I'm reeeaaaallllyyyy looking forward to diving into the Blackest Night event now... You know a comic's good when you're reading it in public and you're having to stop yourself from gasping out loud and swearing on a subway. I did miss seeing Guy and Kyle in this one though. Still, this event is going to be just colossal and I am absolutely here for it. Bring on the marathon.
Michael (Mai)
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it
This was pretty good actually. I still really feel like I need to read an origins story about Hal Jordan in order to fully appreciate the Green Lantern series but I thought this one was really interesting. I guess that normally there are only two colors: Green (Willpower) and Yellow (Fear). But in this one I got to see Green, Yellow, Blue (Hope) and Pink (Loss maybe?). My husband recommended it to me for two reasons: (1) Because Green Lantern is his favorite comic series and (2) Because he likes ...more
TJ Shelby
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc
Wow, we had green lanterns, then sinestro corps (yellow lanterns) and now red lanterns (led by Atrocitus and powered by...read and find out) and blue lanterns (powered by...ditto).

I can't wait for Blackest Night...

Geoff Johns may just make Green Lantern a DC mainstreamer. Big Three beware (okay, Batman is probably safe but after the Superman Returns bomb and Wonder Woman unable to sustain any amount of profit in any medium) Green Lantern is on the rise.

Aside from maybe the Bendis/Brubaker curren
Chris W
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars: Green Lantern now becomes a chaotic clusterf**k to follow with the addition of Alpha, Red and Blue Lanterns, references to orange and black lanterns, set up for the Blackest Night event and obscure references to Alan Moore Green Lantern story that few people honestly have read or remember. Hal is still a cocky, arrogant unlikeable jerk, the other Green Lanterns are basically useless and Sinestro is still the best written character in the room.
The red lanterns are mindless and angry,
Kyle
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: dcu
The birth of the Alpha Lanterns, the birth of the Red Lantern Corps, the enactment of the second new law from the Guardians.... This volume is a clear indication of the massive, massive scope of things to come in the Green Lantern universe. Geoff Johns may seem a little too cryptic at times in this volume, but I trust that he knows what he's doing. It's mostly all lead-up and the artwork is a little flat, average. But I love the killer kitty!
Robert
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
A bit gimmicky with the multi-colored ring war, but I'll pick up the sequel.
Anne
Dec 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very cool. I can't wait to read Blackest Night!
Swapnil Dubey
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just want to dive in The Blackest Night event after reading this. This is the most thrilling and exciting part where Red Lanterns emerge and target Green and Yellow Lanterns both with Sinestro on top in their hit list. Atrocitus, killer and one who instilled fear in Abin Sur, gets hold on power he's been trying to get for years and spread rage among Yellow and Green slingers. Red Lanterns, More barbaric and lethal than Sinestro corps will ever be, are tough competition even for Hal's will.

I li
Bryson McCheeseburger
This is my first Green Lantern graphic novel ever and it was pretty damn cool. I know he gets a bad rap, but the Corps seem pretty cool. The only reason I got this was I read it was a good lead-up to the Blackest Night series I just picked up. I haven't read it yet, but I think this was good to help me understand the different characters and rings as I head into the series. Even though it's not the start of the series, this was a cool run, and the Red Lanterns are freaking awesome! Blue... meh. ...more
Edward Davies
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I see why the issues were skipped. Why on earth DC decided to lump that 7 issue origin story in the middle of the Red Lantern story line is beyond me, but at least they made it make a little more sense in the trades. This was action packed and interesting, reading in hindsight with the knowledge of what these stories are leading up to.
Adam
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This collection gets four stars simply for the introduction of the Blue Lanterns that happens here. I really like Saint Walker as a character and the Blue Lanterns' mantra of "All will be well" hits home for me. I don't know if I have enough hope in my heart to be a Blue Lantern, but I want to have that much hope in a better future.
Jake
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved everything about this. The introduction of the Alpha Lanterns, the Red Lanterns, and the Blue Lanterns (my favorite corps), and also kind of Agent Orange. It's just...super well written, with Hal's rage toward Sinestro and all that stuff. Love it.

Also this is some of Ivan Reis's best work tbh.
Ross
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
ok
M.i.
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
It ups the ante and introduces aspects of the GL universe that I was previously unfamiliar with
Diego López Ocón
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
With every issue I'm convinced that Geoff has a skill for writing GL.
Mandy
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, comics, dc
Dennis Lynch
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The whole Red Lantern concept continues to be pretty ugly.
Ernest
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorites.
James  Love
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-edition, 2017
The first of four prequels to Blackest Night. Enter Atrocitus and the Red Lanterns.

Rage, Rage Against the Dying of the Light.

A different version of the Guardians of the Universe attempt to create an Orange Lantern.

Green = Willpower
Yellow = Fear
Red = Rage
Blue = Hope

The First Law in the Book of OA - The use of lethal force against the Sinestro Corps is authorized.

The Second Law in the Book of OA - The use of lethal force against all enemies of the Green Lantern Corps is authorized.

The ever expandi
Vanessa
Jul 01, 2011 rated it liked it
And this is where the Green Lantern universe, newly rebooted under Geoff Johns (and thus not included in the DCnU reboot in fall, 2011) got crazy complicated. Do you have anger management issues? There's a lantern for that. Do you think the problem with Robocop is he was just too human? There's a lantern for that. Big fan of Autobiography of a Yogi? You get the point.

Let's try to break it down for the people in the back row: before the Lantern Corps, the Guardians had robots called Manhunters to
Wing Kee
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The world building is the shits!

Man I am loving Johns' run on GL, the world building is amazing and the scope and stories are great roller coaster rides. So yes the Care Bear Lanterns are coming!

World: Reis' art is great, I've said it many times. His rings look powerful and his framing and poses are full of motion that I can't imagine anyone else drawing this series. The world building this time around is the same as it ever was, meaning it's bloody fantastic. We get more pieces put into place f
  • Green Lantern Corps, Volume 5: Emerald Eclipse
  • The Green Lantern Chronicles, Vol. 1
  • Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn
  • JLA: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Justice League: Rise and Fall
Geoff Johns originally hails from Detroit, Michigan. He attended Michigan State University, where he earned a degree in Media Arts and Film. He moved to Los Angeles in the late 1990s in search of work within the film industry. Through perseverance, Geoff ended up as the assistant to Richard Donner, working on Conspiracy Theory and Lethal Weapon 4. During that time, he also began his comics career ...more

Green Lantern (2005) (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Green Lantern, Volume 1: No Fear