Start by marking “The Request” as Want to Read:
The Request

The Request

When a man agrees to do a favor for a friend, he gets more than he bargained for as he becomes embroiled in a woman's murder in this new thriller from the USA Today bestselling author of Layover.

Ryan Francis has it all--great job, wonderful wife, beautiful child--and he loves posting photos of his perfect life on social media. Until the night his friend Blake asks him to
Expected publication: June 30th 2020 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Request, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Request

Start your review of The Request
Kaceey
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5*
David Bell has crafted yet another fun, fast-paced thriller guaranteed to have you screaming at the characters as they make their every move!

Ryan is a lucky guy. Hes managed to capture his own personal American dream. A beautiful wife he still adores and a son he cant wait to come to every night. Hes hard working and driven towards success. Ryan even owns a bar on the side just for a bit of extra money and fun! Everything is as perfect as it can be. Except for that one little, pesky secret
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Who needs enemies when you have friends try to ruin your life and set you up with murder?

Ryan seems like having a dreamy life, perfect job, perfect wife and a perfect new born. Even though he carries a big secret that gnawing at him, he tries his best to atone his sins and literally pay his dues by sending money to the people acting like Good Samaritan to help them after he got involved in an accident resulted with one girls death and other girls disability.

At first chapter, we witness Ryan
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 14, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: from-publisher
Now available to request via NetGalley!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Diana
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
What do you do when you agree to do a favor for a friend and it turns out to be more that you bargained for?

Ryan Francis seems to have everything he could need - a nice job, wonderful family and fun posting about it on social media sites to everyone with photos. One night his friend, Blake, asks him to go in to a woman's house and get items that could prove of an affair on him. At first Ryan refuses ... that is until Blake blackmails him in to doing it with a dark secret that he knows and will
Sherri Thacker
This is my 9th book by David Bell and I am always excited when he comes out with a new book. When I got approved from NetGalley to get this book, I was even more excited to get started reading! This book kept me on the edge of my seat with a few twists and turns throughout. Wow, what an ending!!!! Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this early release in exchange for my honest review.
darin chew
Mar 25, 2020 marked it as to-read
I have been waiting to read this book for awhile, and was very excited to see that my NetGalley request was approved. I wasn't able to put the book down until I was done with it!

Ryan has it all, great job, wonderful wife, beautiful child and he loves posting photos of his perfect life on social media. Until his friend Blake asks him to break into a woman's home to retrieve incriminating items that implicate Blake in an affair. Ryan refuses to help, but when Blake threatens to reveal Ryan's
Kristen Sullivan
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Ryan Francis has a seemingly perfect life....but one request from a friend turns his life upside down...

This book follows Ryan, a man whose social media presence leads us to believe he has the picture-perfect life. But he also has a dark secret that hell do anything to protect. Enter his college buddy, Blake, who requests that Ryan does him a favor. If he refuses, his secret will be exposed.

I was really intrigued by the premise of this book and I did find it very entertaining throughout. It
Barbara Waloven
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An emotionally significant past event, a seemingly perfect life profiled on social media, and an abundance of twists. This book was filled with great characters and at some point I emphasized with each one but this is a thriller. A thriller with unexpected and amazing turns. Highly recommend this great read.
Irene
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Request by David Bell. Well written, suspenseful, complex thriller highlighting the influence of social media in bringing to light past regrets and choices and the true meaning of friendship. With friends like Blake, who needs enemies?

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
Loretta Rinzel
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all I want to thank Goodreads & Berkeley/Penguin Random House for this ARC.
David Bell, once again, wrote a great twisted book!! And a great surprised ending!
Bekki
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars! I loved this book!
What a terrific new thriller from David Bell!!!
Ryan has it all, a great job, a beautiful wife, and a gorgeous new baby! And he likes to update the world of his life on social media!!! But when is it too much???
I don't want to give away anything on this one! It's too juicy! When Ryan agrees to do a so-called "favor" for a friend things go wrong from the git go!
This is a tense, edge of your seat mystery! I kept going long after I should have been in bed!
Determined to
Sarah Beachley
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is by far my favorite! I love all the titles, but this one had me on the edge of my seat the entire time! A must read! And thanks to David Bell and Penguin Random House for selecting me for the giveaway! My first giveaway win and I couldn't be more ecstatic! My favorite author has certainly done it yet again!
Donna Hines
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Be careful who you allow into your inner circle because not everyone can be trusted.
Blackmail is the name of the game and Blake uses it against his buddy Ryan. Ryan has no choice when his secrets are about to be revealed via Blake.
So, it seems that all he has to do is go to Jenn Bates house and retrieve incriminating items against Blake and the affair.
Oh, did I mention on the way to her home, she turns up dead, and worse...Ryan receives an FB requests from the dead woman!!
YIKES!
We need to know
Judy
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Ryan Francis has what some would call a perfect life which he likes to share on social media. No one would suspect that Ryan has a dark secret that could ruin him if it were to be divulged. His friend Blake threatens to do just that if Ryan doesn't agree to his request. Blake wants Ryan to break into a home and retrieve some letters implicating Blake in an affair. If Ryan refuses, Blake will reveal his secret and destroy him. Just when you think you have figured out everything in this mystery, a ...more
Kirk Weikart
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A suspenseful novel with a lot of suspects to consider. The plot is simple, yet complicated. It is hard to put this novel down; like a Grisham book, the end of each chapter begs you to read just one more.

I found some of the descriptions a bit mundane and/or confusing. The word "splayed" was used three times in a very short span. On page 332, a character pushed a pair of glasses up her nose. To my memory, that was the only time in the entire book that the character wore glasses. However, I read
Janet
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So I won the Goodreads giveaway and received an advanced copy.

What I loved about this book was the suspense, the adventure, and the mystery. The storyline intrigued me and I honestly didnt see the plot twists coming.

What I didnt love as much was that it didnt get right to the point. Ryan meets with Blake in chapter 1, but he doesnt tell him what he wants until chapter 5 and it did bother me a bit.

Nevertheless I still give it 5 stars because I did enjoy the book quite a lot and would reread
Leslie
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Penguin Random House and the Goodreads giveaways program for my advance copy of The Request by David Bell in exchange for my honest review.
David Bell has packed his new book, The Request, full of secrets. Each time you think you have figured out the answer to one secret, another layer opens up before you. The narrator, who is also the main character, ends up keeping past and present secrets from his family and friends. The web of lies he surrounds himself with spins out of control,
Diane Griffiths
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads giveaway winner..

Ryan has the perfect life as what is seen on social media. No one would think he has some dark secrets only a few people know. His "friend" Blake holds that over him and asks him to do something for him. If I had a friend like Blake, I would dump him!! ;) The story is very complex and entertaining, and suspenseful and intriguing!! I LOVED IT!!

It really pulls you in, and keeps you guessing as to what is REALLY going on in the story. Very well written and a great story
Heather
This book demonstrates all my annoyance with social media. The compulsion, the obsession to check, check, check and compare yourself to others media feeds, waiting for that *ping* from "friends" who were added with a mere click of whatever account one uses. This book showed how such a need can desensitize people from reality and morality; jarring them enough to forget what true friendship really is and seeing when enough is enough.

None of the main characters were completely likable or absolutely
Julie
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for my review. Overall, this was more or less un- putdownable. Descriptions were nailed. Plot was complex but was able to keep track of the characters and various situations. Actions characters did or didn't take were at times off the mark. Also implausible that all of the events unfolded in the short duration of time of days 1 and 2 of the story. Nevertheless I was willing to go with it.
Bonnie
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This domestic thriller was a gripping, fast-paced, page-turner read from start to finish. I was engrossed by this author's great storytelling without any interruption. Excellent thriller. Thank you, Berkley Publishing for the ARC.
Sheree Gibson
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent who-dun-it. Many twists and turns. Definitely keeps you up wanting to know the end.
Cathy
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another great read by David Bell.
Old friends, the past, and social media...what do we really know about anyone???
All his books are good.
Alicia
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much to the publishers for sending me an ARC copy of this book. I LOVE David Bell, I have read all his books. Last year The Layover wasnt as good to me as his other books but I still finished it. This was much more like what I expect with his name on it. Highly recommended! ...more
Douglas
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While doing a request from a friend, a man finds a dead woman. This leads to telling lies to his wife and deception not only from the present but also the past. The perfect life on social media is not always what it appears to be. Well written & suspenseful, I really enjoyed this novel. This copy was received free from goodreads.
Bandit
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
David Bell is a pretty good thriller writer and a generally nice guy to boot. Subsequently Ive read just about all of his books. The quality is somewhat uneven, sometimes a lot uneven, but usually its decent enough to be worth the time. So much so, I requested The Request without even reading a plot summary, checking page count and all those things I normally do prior to trying a book off of Netgalley. And this is when the uneven thing comes in, because this one was definitely the bottom of Bell ...more
Ryan lives the picture perfect life on social media - beautiful wife, adorable baby, successful PR firm, and a part owner of a small local brewery. And really, things are good. But, when Ryan's old college frat brother appears one night out of the blue to ask a favor, Ryan's past mistakes come back to haunt him in a big way. One request will change his life forever.

Full of twists and turns (some you see coming, some you don't), this one is a page-turner that I had a hard time putting down. My
Susan Staudinger

• The Second Home
  • The Daughters of Erietown
  • Daddy's Girls
  • Playing Nice
David Bell is a USA Today bestselling and award-winning suspense novelist. His most recent thriller from Berkley/Penguin is LAYOVER. His previous novels include SOMEBODY'S DAUGHTER, BRING HER HOME, SINCE SHE WENT AWAY, SOMEBODY I USED TO KNOW, THE FORGOTTEN GIRL, NEVER COME BACK, THE HIDING PLACE, and CEMETERY GIRL. He is currently an Associate Professor of English at Western Kentucky University ...more