Start by marking “Sleeping with the Enemy (Lords of Lancashire, #4)” as Want to Read:
Sleeping with the Enemy (Lords of Lancashire, #4)

Sleeping with the Enemy

(Lords of Lancashire #4)

Published September 15th 2020 by Circe Press

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping with the Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping with the Enemy

Start your review of Sleeping with the Enemy (Lords of Lancashire, #4)
Carvanz
I enjoyed the originality of this story so much. It’s been years since I’ve read a historical romance that revolved around war and even then, I can’t remember one quite like this.

Image may contain: one or more people and people standing

From the very beginning, I was pulled into this book, so curious to see what had happened and how things were going to work out. Laura was a strong heroine, especially for her time and her response to Geoffrey was not at all what I was expecting.

How to Plant, Grow, Prune, and Harvest Apples

This story revolves around the accusations towards Geoffrey and I enjoyed
Becky
This is book 4 of the Lords of Lancashire series, but is fine as a stand alone.

Laura is a farmer during the Battle of Plattsburgh, in the War of 1812 in America. During her travel home, she stops her cart to find a British soldier very near death. She brings him back to her house to recover. There he recovers with her help and needs assistance recovering some of his memory and making sure he is safe.

Give this book a try if you are in the mood for:
-Something that takes place in America
-Happens d
Niki (mustreadalltheromance)
When New York widow Laura Farnsworth finds a bloodied and obviously badly injured, obviously British, soldier near the sight of a battle which resulted in an unlikely American victory, she’s tempted to leave the dead enemy where he lies. But when the man incoherently begs for her help, she knows can’t leave him to die.

Lieutenant Colonel Geoffrey Langston has 25 years of military service behind him but he’s unprepared for awakening to the beauty of the woman tending him. As he regains his strengt
Tracy Emro
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: georgian-era, regency
The last thing American widow Laura Farnsworth expects to find in the shrubs on the side of the is a new love, but that is exactly what she finds! Laura and her son Daniel are traveling back to their farm when she spots a man in red in the brush, they stop to help and think he is dead – but shockingly he is alive, and though he is weak and clearly English, she takes him home with her and hopes he survives.

It is days before Lt. Col. Geoffrey Langston (brother to Viscount Langston) and currently s
Moony MeowPoff
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was ok
I got this eARC from Netgalley in exhange for a honest review

It was alright? It seemed interesting by first glance and read of the blurb. But i didn`t care much for the characters at all. Wich influenced how i felt and viewed about the story.
Janet
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
When Mrs. Laura Farnsworth discovers the blood-stained body of a man wearing the distinctive red coat of the British army, her first instinct is to let dead dogs lie. It has, after all, been just two days since the Battle of Plattsburgh, and the disposition of enemy corpses is hardly her purview. But then the man proves himself to be very much alive by grabbing her ankle and mumbling incoherently.
After almost twenty-five years in His Majesty’s service, Lieutenant Colonel Geoffrey Langston never
Candy Briggs
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sleeping with the Enemy
Jackie Barbosa

As she and her son return home, she spies some red under a bush. The Americans just had a battle with the Brits that the Americans won. It was only two days ago and she thought he was dead and started to move off. Suddenly a hand reached for her ankle. He was alive. She took him home and nursed him to health while running her son's apple orchard. They have gotten very close and fallen in love. They marry. His family will not give up on him. So they come looki
Jasmine
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sleeping with the Enemy is the fourth book in the Lords of Lancashire series, but it can easily be read as a standalone. I haven't read the previous three books, so I went into this one blind. But it's easy enough to follow, so that's a plus.
The story is set during the War of 1812, and it takes place in the US. Most historical romances I read are in the UK, so this was a nice change. It also features a (mostly) independent woman taking care of herself by making apple cider with the help of her
Sharon
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: historical romance readers
I enjoyed this historical romance that takes place during the War of 1812, and is mostly on American soil. We so rarely see anything outside of the UK in historical romance, what a refreshing change.

Laura and Geoffrey are both easy to cheer for character. Geoffrey is never the stuffy Brit stereotype, but a good man with a full family that I'd really like to know more about. He's reflective on life as a soldier, which makes him real. He sees his job, the good and the bad. I really liked that appr
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Sleeping with the Enemy is a wonderful war-time romance. This is one of those historical romances that you can curl up with a cup of tea and enjoy. I loved Laura. She's strong and independent, but her heart misses having something more than just her son to care for, especially now that he's about to become an adult. Geoffrey is an officer - wounded and on the wrong side of the war. Despite tension from outside, there's an undeniable spark between them, and it was nice to escape for a few hours i ...more
Courtney
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Jackie Barbosa is yet another author who I’ve found through Twitter. I was also intrigued by the premise for Sleeping with the Enemy, which sounded different than anything I’ve read before. Ad while it is book four of a series, it works perfectly well as a stand-alone.

While set around the time of the larger-scale Napoleonic Wars and discussing that to an extent, I liked t
Mary Hart
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I enjoyed this story. I realised that this is the third book in the Lords of Lancashire series I have read. Laura and her son Daniel finds Geoffrey left for dead. They take him home, he recovers and starts to work on her cider farm. Geoffrey realises that one of his own soldiers must have tried to assasinate him, Laura approaches an american general to see if he recognises Geoffrey as the traitor and realises that Geoffrey is being set up. His family back in England, having been told Geof
Angela
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
First, I love the title of this book – a perfect fit for the story. This is an unusual story in that it is about the War of 1812 and half of the story takes place in a New York town. Very interesting tale of a British soldier who loses his memory after being attacked, is rescued by an American woman and comes to love the woman. He is then arrested and taken to London to face charges of treason and desertion. When the storyline moves to London, the scenes in the courtroom are very interesting and ...more
Kelly (Simply Kelina) C.
I was sent this book from the publisher/publicity team. My ratings and reviews will be my own personal opinions and are in no way influenced by publishers or authors who may have sent me books to review.

I have never read anything from this author and did not realize Sleeping with the Enemy is actually book four in the Lords of Lancashire series. I read this as a standalone though and had no issues with jumping into the middle of the series.

This one caught my attention right from the start. It wa
Ruchika Mahajan
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by this author. It's a wonderful book. No complaints at all. It's not your run of the mill kind of story where 18year old debutante meets the rakish 28/30+ hero, fall in love get married etc. It's about finding love again. It's about falling in love. It's about a confident 38 something mother of a 17year old who has made her own way in the man's world. It's about an honourable aristocratic military high ranking man who gets injured in war and falls in love with the enemy. T ...more
Barb
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Sleeping with the Enemy by Jackie Barbosa is a novel written around the time of the War of 1812, beginning just after the Battle of Platsburgh, New York.

Widow Laura Farnsworth, her son, and a hired hand own an apple orchard. From the apples, they make cider which they sell. This is their income. While Laura and her son Daniel are driving down the road, Laura notices a blood-stained body by the road. They find a British officer, Lieutenant Colonel Geoffrey Langston badly injured. Against the wish
Amy
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I enjoyed this book by new-to-me author Jackie Barbosa. An American widow, Laura, saves a dying British soldier she finds at the side of her road. They fall in love. He is later accused of desertion and treason and they must go back to England so he can defend himself. I received an ARC from NetGalley and Victory Editing NetGalley Co-op for my honest review.
Rach
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Laura is a widow who comes across a British soldier who she believes to be dead, however as she gets closer Geoffrey grabs her. Alive indeed!

Left for dead he is taken in by Laura and her son, where she nurses him back to health. Sparks be flying!

I enjoyed this book but I would have liked a bit more character/relationship development between the main characters.
Jill Long
Nov 02, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an interesting story with a lot of sizzle going on. I enjoyed that most of this took place in 1812 America. I felt we were getting a different perspective than most of the historical romance books, which are mostly set in England. I enjoyed the widow Laura. She was unapologetic about her sexual desires. I felt thrown off by the second half of the story. Overall, it was enjoyable.
MrsMascara
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really did enjoy this, 4th book in a series of 5. I have read the first book and not the ones in between, and this was completely fine.

First off I loved that this romance was about an older couple, Laura Farnsworth is 38 with a seventeen year old son at the start of the book. We never find out how old Lieutenant Colonel Geoffrey Langston is exactly, but he has been in the army for 25 years, so probably early 40's.

Laura, a widow with some healing skills, finds the body of an English soldier, a
Bonnie
Tammy
Aug 28, 2020
Cindy Schneider
Sep 01, 2020

• When the Earl Met His Match (Wedded by Scandal #4)
  • Melissa and The Vicar (The Seducers, #1)
  • All Scot and Bothered (Devil You Know, #2)
  • The Night Drop: Resistance in the Marshlands
  • Making of a Scandal (The Gentleman Courtesans #3)
  • BABY BEAR’S SPAGHETTI MISADVENTURES Very Short Misadventure Stories for ids and bears K – 1
  • Her Missing Marquess (Wicked Husbands Book 5)
  • The Seduction of Viscount Vice (Fallen, #3)
  • Alien Embrace : A Limited Edition Collection of Sci Fi Alien Romances
  • One Night with a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas, #10)
  • Who Wants to Marry a Duke (Duke Dynasty #3)
  • Her Wicked Marquess (Sinful Wallflowers, #2)
  • His Countess (Victorian Decadence, #3)
  • Starfighter Command: Game 2 (Starfighter Training Academy, #2)
  • Kisses and Scandal (Survivors #7.5)
  • A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Mayhem (A Lady's Guide, #1)
  • Once Dishonored (Rogues Redeemed, #5)
  • The Music of Love (The Academy of Love, #1)

Lords of Lancashire (4 books)
  • The Lesson Plan (Lords of Lancashire #1)
  • Hot Under the Collar (Lords of Lancashire #2)
  • A Matter of Indiscretion (Lords of Lancashire #3)