Start by marking “Tide of Death (DI Andy Horton #1)” as Want to Read:
Tide of Death (DI Andy Horton #1)

Tide of Death (DI Andy Horton #1)

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
It is DI Andy Horton's second day back in Portsmouth CID after being suspended for eight months. Whilst out running he trips over the naked and battered body of a man. Beset by personal problems and aided by Sergeant Cantelli, Horton sets out to find a killer who will stop at nothing to cover his tracks.
Published March 1st 2006 by Fathom (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Tide of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tide of Death

Ellie Chambers
Jun 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
I tried really hard to get into this, but couldn’t. The central character, Inspector Horton, seemed so flat to me, and the dialogue just wasn’t believable; it was written in the way a person writes, not how they speak – it was mechanical, and very predictable. By the end of chapter two I was bored. I didn’t care about the storyline or the characters, especially not Horton. I persevered, but the pace didn’t pick up, the dialogue didn’t improve, and the characters didn’t become any more three dime ...more
Suzanne
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not a challenging book - written by an author from Pompey, so I thought I'd try; an easy read
Catherine
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I will start by saying that I am not a crime fiction reader. My extent of crime fiction is Sherlock Holmes and comparing anything to Holmes is going to be a bit unfair.

I got this book primarily because it was set in Portsmouth, my home town. The novelty was pretty good but it wasn't enough to keep me riveted. I found the plot to be confusing and a bit jumbled (I still don't fully understand the part everyone played in the crime) and I didn't really connect with any of the characters. Horton, our
Elizabeth
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
The story was well told but I could not get into the subject matter. By that I mean it is about a detective returning from an 8 month suspicion after having been framed for a rape probably by people in law enforcement. He does nothing while on suspension and then somebody keeps trying to murder him while he is trying to polish up his reputation by solving a murder case.

The main protagonist as a victim that no one beliefs produces an anxiety that make one want to read something else.
Kaye
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was my first read by this author and as I am rather partial to British writers thought I would give it a go. I'm very glad I did as I enjoyed it very much. I liked the characters and the story and didn't guess the real villain until the very end. I look forward to reading more of the escapades of Di Andy Horton.
Jean
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it kept me guessing all the way through. The characters were strong, believable and interesting, especially the back stories in their personal lives. Am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Pete Loveday
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Pete by: Kindle English Mystery Book Club
Shelves: favourite
A good read and a clever story.
Pauline Rowson has great skill in her character development and they come to life in a real sense.
The plot is well crafted and the story fast paced and gathers excitement to the very end.
I look forward to reading more by this talented author.
Stevie Carroll
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
First in a new-to-me series and rich in local details. Lots of backstory packed into this one, which had the potential to be confusing, but I'll definitely be looking out for the next one.
Tracy
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Quick read, everything seemed to happen so fast in this short book. Enough to keep up the interest, will check out some more by this author before I make up my mind.
Elaine
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
not too taxing - an entertaining read. Read it in one day. I was on a beach holiday at the time.
April
Jan 20, 2013
Dorothy Christieson
Feb 16, 2018
Charlotte Upshall
Aug 24, 2015
Susan
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Poorly written, particularly in the lack of appropriate punctuation which would have clarified many sentences.
Patrick Skirvin
Cindy Dawson
rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Internationally acclaimed British author of the crime novels featuring the rugged and flawed detective, Andy Horton, (13) set against the atmospheric backdrop of the ever changing sea on the south coast of England. Pauline Rowson is also author of the Art Marvik mysteries (3) featuring former Royal Marine Commando turned undercover investigator for the National Intelligence Marine Squad (NIMS) and ...more
More about Pauline Rowson

DI Andy Horton (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Deadly Waters (DI Andy Horton #2)
  • The Suffocating Sea (DI Andy Horton #3)
  • Dead Man's Wharf (DI Andy Horton #4)
  • Blood on the Sand (DI Andy Horton #5)
  • Footsteps on the Shore (DI Andy Horton #6)
  • A Killing Coast (DI Andy Horton #7)
  • Death Lies Beneath (DI Andy Horton #8)
  • Undercurrent (DI Andy Horton #9)
  • Death Surge (DI Andy Horton #10)
  • Shroud of Evil (DI Andy Horton #11)