Start by marking “You Never Told Me” as Want to Read:
You Never Told Me

You Never Told Me

A year ago, Charlies life seemed to be following a plan: she had a beautiful house, a lovable dog and an upcoming wedding. But she felt trapped. A few months before the big day, ignoring the warnings from her family, she abandoned her life and fled to the other side of the world in a bid for freedom.

But when her mother unexpectedly falls ill, Charlie has to cut her trip
Published March 19th 2020 by Transworld Digital

To ask other readers questions about You Never Told Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Never Told Me

Start your review of You Never Told Me
Louise Wilson
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charlie and Eleanor's mum was known as Britta but after her unexpected death, they realise Britta wasn't who they thought she was. Britta has secrets that neither of the girls knew about. Charlie had been travelling the world when she got the call to come home. She felt guilty that she hadn't done enough to help her family.

I found this quite an emotional read. The family dynamics are quite complex with secrets that have been hidden. The storyline flows seamlessly. The ending was a little
Louise Wilson
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie and Eleanor's mum was known as Britta but after her unexpected death, theynrealise Britta wasnt who they thought she was. Britta had secrets that neither of the girls new about. Charlie had been travelling the world when she got the call to come home. She felt guilty that she hadn't done enough to help her family.

Claire Fuller
I loved this novel about journeys of discovery, both emotional and real. Sarah Jasmon has a great eye for complex family dynamics, long-hidden secrets, as well as the detail of life on a narrowboat. I was completely taken up with the main character, Charlie, and the intriguing mystery she uncovers. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Linda Hill
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Charlies on her way home if only she knew what that meant.

I just loved You Never Told Me. Its not a fast paced visceral thriller or a bright and breezy uplit, but rather a mature, thoughtful, luxurious and beautifully written exploration of identity and belonging that I found utterly convincing and affecting. It may sound a strange way of articulating it, but You Never Told Me feels like a high quality, enduring, product in a throwaway world.

Sarah Jasmon writes with such persuasive authority.
Claire
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
You Never Told Me follows Charlotte (or Charlie), who has just spent the last year teaching English in Thailand. She gets an email from her sister Eleanor, who says that her mother is seriously ill in hospital. Unfortunately she is too late and her mother passes away before she can get there. While clearing out her mother's belongings, her sister stumbles across a secret savings account and a deed to a canal boat shocking them both. Charlie decides to live on the boat for a while and find out ...more
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Damp Pebbles Blog Tours and Black Swan for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

Okay first of all, dont you love when authors add a little piece of their lives into novels that you probably wouldnt know about unless they told you about it? Did you see that Jamson lives on a canal boat?
Anne
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this one a gentle slow-paced read with no real fireworks, but immensely engaging and thoroughly compelling. Its a story of exploration the mystery around the hidden life of her mother, family relationships past and present, the waterways and the industrial past as Charlie undertakes her own personal journey.

The writing is quite wonderful the author has a particularly special touch in examining and exposing the intricacies of relationships, those intimate
Vanessa Nunn
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charlie had her whole life together. Everything was just perfect - her relationship, her house and her beautiful dog. One day, she decided she'd just about had enough and fled for freedom, leaving everything behind her. However, after an urgent phone call from her sister Eleanor, her trip was cut short. Charlie's mum had tragically died and her family needed her home.

Charlie was never close to her mum, nor had she been there for her family much. Feeling guilty she had not been very family
Natasha du Plessis
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was the first book that I have read by Sarah Jasmon and I really enjoyed it. I loved the story line as well as the characters. Even though we only get to know Britta after her death she left a big legacy of secrets behind, not all are answered in the book. The ending was a bit abrupt for me so I hope there will be a sequel to answer all that was left unsaid. I really enjoyed reading about the canals and living on a boat. I would recommend this book.
Jackie Law
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
You Never Told Me, by Sarah Jasmon, is a story of the pulls and disconnects inherent within families. Parents work hard to provide what they believe is best for their offspring without comprehending the blinkered lens through which they regard an ever-changing world. Decisions made reverberate across decades leading to schisms where appreciation was expected. Children struggle to regard parents as individuals rather than providers of support, in whatever form necessary. They resent criticism or ...more
Tamason
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Charlie doesnt seem to like backpackers or the fact that they represent privilege, freedom and even perhaps naivety. All she sees is the way these individuals take over cities and countries, not necessarily thinking about the impact they have on the local communities.

But then she is in Thailand herself, is she one of these privileged people that just so happened to remain long after her trip was meant to finish?

It would seem that Charlie is one of several who decided to stay on and work for an
Julie
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A captivating and compulsive family drama laced with pathos, intensity and mystery, Sarah Jasmons You Never Told Me is a powerful and compelling novel that is nail-biting, thought-provoking and difficult to put down.

A lot of things can change in a year and nobody knows this better than Charlie. This time last year, Charlies life seemed to be going to plan. With a beautiful house, a gregarious dog and an upcoming wedding to look forward to, everything in her life seemed close to perfect, but
Carol
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've waited for this one for a long time. I adored Sarah Jasmon's first book, The Summer of Secrets & was delighted when a follow-up was announced. In You Never Told Me, the story begins with Charlie, hanging out in Thailand, disconnected, disorganised & wondering what she's really doing there. Knowing, from the blurb, where the story was going, I found myself impatient. An email from Charlie's sister sends her racing for home, arriving too late to speak to her mother before Britta dies. ...more
Gee
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having split from her fiancé, Charlie went off into the world to find herself. Unfortunately it didnt work out how shed imagined, and just as she was ready to come back, she gets an urgent message from her sister, Eleanor, that their mother was in hospital, and Charlie needed to come home immediately. Feeling guilty that she hadn't done enough to help her family, she heads home, Her mother, Britta, had secrets that neither daughter knew about. This is the story of how Charlie comes to terms with ...more
Ursula
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some charming scenes set on a canal boat and lovely descriptions of taking the boat out on English canals. For me, those are among the best parts of this novel. The other aspect which struck home was Sarah Jasmon's account of Charlie's feelings, her decisions, her memories and her realisations about herself. I really enjoyed seeing her (belatedly) grow up and begin to have purpose in her life.

It's a real relief to read a story which doesn't zip backward and forward in time. Sarah
bookreviewer_98
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you NetGalley and Random House UK, Transworld Publishers for recommending this book.

It was a emotional read. It was more about the protagonist's self journey and family secrets than about romance. It is seen that this book can be considered of both genre. I don't usually read book this deep and insightful. I tend to keep it mostly romance but I am glad I got to read Charlie's story. I loved the plot and how the story spans and untimately the secrets folds which has a great impact not only
Ann-Maree Howarth
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a great story about the journey of discovery for Charlie and her family. When tragedy falls they will learn life has not always been the way they thought. The was a great read for me as I read it in almost one day as I was intrigued to learn the secret her mother had been keeping for most of her life.

I was a little upset at the ending as I wanted a little be more information about the future of these characters that I had come to care about. The author had a way of giving you just a
Shalini
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mystery with emotions were the crux of the story. A mother with secrets, and a daughter, who had run away to see the world, had to come back to solve the puzzle.

My first book by this author, I found myself swallowing the lump in my throat many a time. That family had quite a few secrets, and the book explored the dynamics of it. Relationships were complex, I was quite engrossed in the book

The book was a journey for me as I don't read such emotional ones generally. The writing made me keep going
Angela  Mellor
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
You Never Told Me is an easy read, one that can be picked up and put down at anytime and can easily be picked back up and get back into.
The book starts with us meeting Charlie, she has just received an email from her sister Eleanor to get home as quick as she can as their mother is unwell and in hospital. Charlie is travelling the world after splitting up with her husband to be so just has enough money for the flight home! Charlie is full of guilt that she hasnt done enough to help the family
Chris Tunnicliffe
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story begins with Charlie backpacking in Bangkok, after leaving behind her life and relationship in England. Charlie is summonsed home as her mother is ill and by the time she gets home its too late and her mother is gone. Charlie and her sister Eleanor then find that their mother owned a canal boat, which is in charlies name. The sisters have a tetchy relationship and Charlie moves onto the boat. While there she uncovers that her mother Britta had another life that they were unaware of and ...more
Sue
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Jasmon has a hit on her hands with this one. You Never Told Me is a brilliant read that moves along nicely and shows how a family can have secrets that take years to come to light. I found it easy to read and was always waiting to pick it up again when life got in the way of reading it. I will definitely be looking for her other book The Summer of Secrets.
Alison Eden
#YouNeverToldMe #NetGalley This was a gentle paced easy read book depicting the journey that Charlie (and to a lesser extent Eleanor) have piecing together their mothers life following her untimely death. A bit too descriptive and not enough action for my personal preferences and an ending where, for me, there were too many loose ends untied. Nevertheless an easy and enjoyable read.
Penny-sue Wolfe
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can never resist a family mystery and add to that my love of canal boats made this book a winner! Great story line with lots of twists and turns. Really well written and a struggle to put down! Great read!
Karen McGarry
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book intriguing although I wasnt gripped with it like many books but it took me much longer to read than normal.
J_Mc 251
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Written in a leisurely style, this story about family secrets and personal journeys was a joy to read. I thought that the characters were interesting and realistic, and the plot itself was both thought-provoking and inspiring. For further thoughts, please visit my blog at Fireflies and Free Kicks Fiction Reviews. This review was written based on a digital ARC of the book and all thoughts are my own.
Beccy Thompson
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
I love a family drama- only in a novel not real life! And Sarah has more than delivered a lovely juicy family drama with this book. Its full of all the ingredients that make a brilliant novel, hidden secrets, complicated family dynamics and something you just cant put your finger on.
An excellent read-thank you!
Shkolnikjx
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful novel with a bewitching group of characters. The storyline flow was seamless. Highly recommended.
clare brack
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found this an easy read.... I haven't read one by Sarah before but she writes beautifully...I found the story enchanting and poignant
Jenny
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Charlie appeared to have the perfect life, a lovely house, a dog and an upcoming wedding to a perfect fiancé but she felt trapped and so a year ago she upped and left. Charlie ended up the other side of the world enjoying her freedom, however when her mother falls ill she has to return home but is sadly to late to say goodbye. Her mother though has left Charlie with a mystery, why did her mother buy a canal boat and with what money, these are the questions that Charlie whilst grieving trys to ...more
Tracey Jordan
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it
An enjoyable book with an unusual plot. I did however feel that there were quite a few loose ends that needed to be tied up and therefore I felt that the story was left unfinished. It would be nice if there was a sequel maybe.

• Convictions
  • A Dark Matter
  • Aria’s Travelling Book Shop
  • I Am Dust
  • The Devil Wore Black (Tyler and Mills)
  • The 24-Hour Café
  • House of Lies (Cat Carlisle, #3)
  • Deep Dark Night (Lori Anderson)
  • The Lost Lights of St Kilda
  • The Grace Kelly Dress
  • The Sea Glass Cottage
  • On a Falling Tide
  • Temporary Wife Temptation (The Heirs of Hansol #1)
  • Dear Ava
  • Ash Mountain
  • Erotic Fiction?: So outrageously funny you'll laugh your knickers off.
  • The Other You
Sarah Jasmon lives on a canal boat in Lancashire, which is also the setting for her two novels The Summer of Secrets and You Never Told Me. She has written short stories for a wide selection of publications and in 2018 was shortlisted for the Harpers Bazaar short story competition. She is an Associate Tutor in Creative Writing at Manchester Metropolitan University, and is currently studying for a ...more

News & Interviews