Jump to ratings and reviews

Embers #1

Burning Embers

For Rachel, finding love is complicated. She works hard to raise her daughter alone, and even if good, loyal men still existed, she finds it impossible to believe they’d want to sign on to a ready-made family.

Besides, with work and childcare schedules, dating is chaos.

Olly hides behind a flirty, tattooed bartender persona to keep women at arm’s length. His facade hides a dark past, plagued by tragedy. He deems it safer not to open up, worried he’ll become the monster who haunts his nightmares.

Besides, who would want a man with his scars and baggage?

When Rachel turns to Olly for help, they form an unlikely bond—one that grows deeper by the day. But Olly struggles to overcome his fears, and Rachel hesitates to allow the last of her walls to fall.

When walking away seems like the easiest route, their happiness depends on one thing—whether the love they’ve found is the kind that heals...or destroys.

312 pages, Paperback

Published January 12, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

L.S. Pullen

15 books230 followers
L.S. Pullen, aka Leila, is an indie author, born and raised in North London; and now resides in Peterborough, England. No longer working the corporate life, she writes full time. As well as running a small business Cosy Book Stop. She also offers formatting for other indie authors via Indie Author’s Book Services.
When she’s not writing or reading, you’ll find her walking her adopted pooch Luna whilst squirrel spotting. As well as looking after her bunnies Beatrix & Bucky. And in true English cliche fashion, she loves afternoon tea.

You can find everything you need to know about the author here on her website: https://lspullen.co.uk

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lspullenauthor
Instagram: http://instagram.com/lspauthor

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 61 reviews
Profile Image for Layne.
Author 7 books129 followers
January 28, 2021
This was my first book by L.S. Pullen, but it most certainly won’t be my last. I adored this book and these characters so much. The dialogue was seamless and the story flowed so well, I had a hard time putting it down. I also loved the shorter chapters! It made it so easy to read “just one more.” Highly recommend this book!
Profile Image for K.
Author 8 books37 followers
January 9, 2021
Burning Embers is a spinoff of sorts of Pullen's first series. This book follows two side characters mentioned in the Hearts series and they absolutely stole the show in this book. Rachel is a strong independent single mom, Olly is the tattooed flirtatious bartender, and when they hit it off sparks fly in every direction. We also catch glimpses of the other couples and their lives now. Olly is definitely my new favorite of Pullen's harem.
Profile Image for A.D. McCammon.
Author 17 books380 followers
January 15, 2021
I had the pleasure of beta reading this one. Pullen never fails to deliver emotional heartfelt stories. It gave me all the feels. Olly is so swoon worthy. He definitely had my heart by the end.
Profile Image for Nikki J Summers.
Author 14 books1,102 followers
December 1, 2022
I loved Olly and Rachel’s story. Olly was the perfect book boyfriend and Rachel stole my heart. She really deserved her happily ever after. Fab story.
Profile Image for Hanna.
247 reviews2 followers
March 31, 2021
Really Enjoyed!

I'm giving this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars.
I enjoyed this book a lot.
The only issues I had were that the pacing seemed to jump around a lot and also that the moments where I needed and wanted more details were quickly glossed over.

But the things I loved:
-Olly and Rachels chemistry was spot on.
-I loved how amazing of a mother Rachel was and how realistic she was portrayed as a single struggling mother.
-The dedication Olly had for not only Rachel but her daughter as well.

I definitely think this story will hit for anyone who is a single parent.
I love Leila and really enjoyed this book. I can't wait to read more from her in the future.
314 reviews2 followers
March 9, 2021
I usually read dark romances, so this book was my "dark break", I really needed something light. This is a contemporary romance following Olly (Oliver) and Rachel. Rachel, a single mom, comes from money but is going it on her own. To me she us the typical mom, who is doing everything for her daughter and nothing for herself..
Olly is a really complex character. When we meet him he is a bartender at the local bar Rachel frequents. It seems that he doesn't like her, but that is far from the truth. Both characters have preconceived notions about each other they need to get over. But Olly, he is a former foster with a tough background, yet he teaches self-defense classes and runs a charity fight to help those affected by abuse. He is an architect (by showing only) and has a big heart. The progression of their relationship was well done and not rushed.
The one twist on the usual "rich girl doesn't get along with her parents" trope was Rachel's mother's diagnosis. It doesn't change the past, but it helps Rachel heal from her past and work on a relationship with her family.
Of course the scene stealer is always the kid in the story. I like that Molly wasn't difficult with Olly, rejecting him, but approached him with typical child curiosity which turns into her loving him.
Overall, a nice break from the darkness. If I had to rate this based on my normal reading preferences (dark, non-con) it would get a 3. However, looking at through the lens of contemporary romance it ranks higher as it was well written, their was angst, but not over the tops, and the plot moved along well.
Profile Image for Courtney Turner.
1,610 reviews3 followers
January 19, 2021
This is the first book I’ve read from this author and I have to say I’m hooked! Olly and Rachel’s journey is a bit difficult at times. They have to struggle with deadbeat troubled ex’s, personal demons and so much more. I actually didn’t want this story to end. I feel like I could have read their story for days and days.

Olly is so much more they we ever could have thought he was. He is now officially my new book boyfriend. He’s loyal, sweet, trustworthy and kind. He would literally die for Rachel and Molly.

I’m excited to read more from this author and I’ve added so many of her books to my TBR! So if you can’t tell I highly recommend this book!

452 reviews4 followers
February 4, 2021
This was my first book by L. S. Pullen. I loved Olly and Rachel's story. It's a sweet story of a single mom doing all she can to ensure her daughter is well taken care of. She's also attempting to co-parent with ex, but he makes it difficult at every turn. Rachel decides start dating again, but the night takes an unexpected turn. Luckily, Olly is there for the rescue. From there, you see these two hurt individuals grow a friendship and bond while fighting inner demons. But it all works out beautifully in the end. I look forward to reading more books from this author.

Profile Image for Vevo.
630 reviews1 follower
January 9, 2021
4.5 STARS
Melancholy. This was the mood that transpired while reading this novel. Reasons? Because of...
-Ollie(THE BEST CHARACTER OF THIS BOOK!!!!), who sees himself as Frankenstein's monster, but who has nothing monstrous about him... A kind, selfless, generous soul, hurt too many times to open up to love and discover that he deserves all the love available,
-Molly, Rachel's daughter, a veritable tornado of tenderness and mischief, too often forgotten by a father who uses her only to take back the woman he lost for his mistakes;
-Rachel, unlucky with men, afraid to get back on the game because with the many difficulties of a single mother, this is an additional vulnerability that can damage not only her but also her daughter.
Horrible Marcus ... I prefer to not comment on him, he wakes up from his dullness a little too late for me.
This was my first L.S. Pullen book, and I can't wait to catch up on this author's other novels.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and I am voluntarily leaving a review.
Profile Image for Katja.
403 reviews
January 14, 2021
I really liked this book and I really liked both Rachel and Olly. Rachel was a mother and it wasn't easy to date. After date almost gone wrong, she sign up for self defence class. Olly is teaching that and they get closer. I liked how they were together and Olly was great with Rachel's daughter Molly.

An ARC was provided in exhange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Rachel.
11 reviews
January 23, 2022
This was my first book by this author, and I really enjoyed it. I loved the backstories behind each character. One thing I suggest if you plan on reading the whole series is also focusing on the other characters in this book because the next few books are based off of them.
I’m a sucker for men falling in love with children, which is one of the reasons I loved this book so much.
If you liked “It Ends With Us” by Colleen Hoover, then this is a good next book to read!
400 reviews1 follower
January 8, 2021
Rachel and Olly's love story. Rachel is an amazing mom putting her daughter first above all else and then Olly comes along. Olly loves Rachel and Molly more than life itself.

3 reviews
September 2, 2021
My first L.S Pullen book. I loved this book so much. The storyline, the characters. I can't wait to read more books by her. Its a good romance/smut book🔥.
Profile Image for Wills.Reads.
56 reviews
November 28, 2022
3 🌶
5 🌟

So this is my first book I've read which surrounds a single mum. But Leila has written this so beautifully. It feels like you're right there living in their world witnessing this as a fly on the wall. (What I wouldn't do to see Olly 🥵)

Rachel finds herself rasing her daughter alone. With a dead beat baby daddy who only shows up when it conveniences him.

Molly is given the world and more. To the point where Rachel will quite literally go without to ensure her daughter is happy and given a chance at a full childhood. Not without silently ensuring other children's happiness at the same time through her exceptionally kind gestures to charity.

Rachel finds herself in a spot of bother on a first date. One that shouldn't have happened, given the time he turned up. But realising the situation she was in and fearing something bad would happen he was there to rescue her. Oliver, Olly.

With each stolen glance, cheek lifting smile they stopped fighting. They gave into their emotions. Creating something so beautiful, it's a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

"I just made you come with one finger."

A couple so perfectly suited. They found eachother at a time neither one of them realised just how much they needed it. Olly would move mountains all for Rachel to have the perfect spot to paint onto a canvas.

Olly is such a perfect gentleman. Making sure to take on Molly too, never leaving her out. 🦩🦩 IYKYK.

I'd like to apologise to Leila. I'm am so sorry it has taken me so long to read these two. They are absolutely amazing. Your writing as you know had me hooked to the point I forgot all about getting ready for work.

@lspauthor, I loved every single heartwarming moment of this. Every single detail you put into this book made it so beautiful. I cannot wait to carry on the series.
Profile Image for Eliza.
696 reviews5 followers
January 18, 2021
When I read the synopsis for this work, something in me urged me to sign up for it. I was back and forth on wanting to read it, but I am glad that I did. I really enjoyed this work and found it really hard to put down; I just wanted to keep reading it. The plot was great with a few twists and turns, making it unpredictable at times. The back stories were pulled out over the course of the story and not all at once. The characters were fantastic and had great growth over the course of the story; the side characters were fantastic also, making me want to know their stories too. Which I sense this book is a spin off of the author’s Heart series. I look forward to reading those works in the future.

I give this at four out of five stars. A wonderful plot with fabulous characters.

Profile Image for Elsie Pitt.
1,718 reviews9 followers
January 17, 2021
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK! With Olly being a sexy and irresistible man I fell in lust with him instantly! Rachel was so funny and even though she did not know it but she needed Olly and he needed her! Oh this was such a grandly great read! I love your style of writing and the flow was fantastic! I loved this book so much I went and invested in your whole collection! You have turned my heart around and dropped it only to pick it up and hold it in warmth! I love these characters and you writing and thought there is no other compliment that to invest in an author that you adore! Thank you for sharing this glorious read!

733 reviews2 followers
January 18, 2021
This is Olly and Rachel’s story. I can see why Olly might try to hide from his past, but Rachel is literally his saving grace. I don’t think that I could find someone with a purer heart and such a strong will. She has a daughter (who is super cute) that she is bending backwards for to give her a good life. As she and Olly get closer after she turns to him for help, she now just has to prove to Olly that they have a future together

8,536 reviews97 followers
January 20, 2021
This is the 1st book I've read written by L.S. Pullen; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

Profile Image for Owella.
389 reviews7 followers
February 26, 2021
This was my first L.S Pullen book and Ioved it. I just loved Rachel and Olly and their journey. It was a beautiful read and I liked the writing style. I was rooting for them all the way! I also liked that the chapters were shorter but that also made it harder to put down as my family say my tagline is "just one more chapter" 😂. This is a spin off of another series by this author which I will definitely be reading!
January 15, 2021
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Rachel and Olly! They both have played it safe for so long, but there’s an undeniable attraction between the two. The question is, is their spark enough to keep them together rather than let their separate traumas take hold. Truly absolutely beautiful and I could not put it down. This is a new to me author and I will definitely be checking more of L.S. Pullen’s works.

Profile Image for Mari Acosta.
147 reviews10 followers
February 1, 2021
Beautiful

As usual beautifully written. Pullen creates wonderful characters and has absolutely no issues fleshing them out and making them relatable. Once you're invested she will weave you a story full of twists and turns with plenty of steam. I can't wait to read more of this world in the next two installments as I'm sure there will be glimpses of Rachel, Olly, and of course the ever entertaining Molly-Mae.
Profile Image for J. Ockenhouse.
1,730 reviews11 followers
January 3, 2021
Rachel and Oliver start out with him not even noticing her but when a "date" turns into a disaster, he suddenly smells the raspberries.

Rachel is a single mom and don't have the best history with men so perhaps a future with a tattooed hottie might be in the cards. There is such a realism here. They are not perfect. Each have pasts that stand as a towering wall and blocks what could be a great future between them. I received an ARC for an honest and voluntarily review.
Profile Image for Jennifer Wilson.
503 reviews4 followers
January 14, 2021
Rachel is a single mother, who spends all her time taking care of her daughter Molly. She knows men don’t want a ready made family, so she doesn’t date. Olly uses his flirtatious bartender persona to keep women away. He hides his troubled past, believing no one will want someone who is scarred, and a monster he believes he is. But when Rachel needs him, the two get close. But Rachel believes Olly wouldn’t want her and Her daughter, and Olly believes he isn’t good enough for her.

I really loved this book. This is the first book I’ve read my this author, and it definitely won’t be the last. I was hooked from page one, and enjoyed everything about it. The characters are flawed, and real. And i loved watching them grow, and fall for each other on the pages. It was beautifully written, and I just fell in love with the characters. I recommend this book.
Profile Image for Jeanine Sinclair.
56 reviews2 followers
September 25, 2021
Really enjoyed this and read it all in one! Loved the characters and definately want to read more by the author.
Profile Image for Esme Greiner.
888 reviews8 followers
January 30, 2021
Rachel is a single mom who has always put her daughter first. She starts to dip her toe in the dating pool and after a bad date meets Olly. Olly is a bartender and feels an attraction to Rachel but has ghosts from his past to deal with so doesn’t feel like he’s the kind of guy she deserves. They seem so perfect for each other that you can’t help but cheer for them to end up together. So good!

Profile Image for Kaylee Youngs.
21 reviews1 follower
January 15, 2022
Olly and Rachel have such a unique kind of love and I fell in love with their story almost instantly. I love that despite the fact that they both have their own baggage/struggles, the pair do their best to help each other handle their issues without pushing each other too much. This book made me smile and laugh but it also made me cry tears of sadness, anger, and happiness. I love everything about this book and can't wait to read the second book in this series!
Profile Image for Carly.
227 reviews
January 18, 2022
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This book was fantastic! The chemistry and heat is this book had me swooning from beginning to end! This is my first read by this author but definitely won’t be my last!
1,660 reviews3 followers
January 3, 2021
Oh my! Olly and Rachel deserve their happy ending! They were perfect for each other even though they went through a lot to get there. Great book!
Profile Image for VMChick.
80 reviews1 follower
January 4, 2021
What a fun read! I was really excited to read Olly’s story and it didn’t disappoint. Both Olly and Rachel had really interesting back stories, it was nice watching them come together. And Molly was so adorable, she almost stole the show! I also always love reconnecting with past favourites and it was really great to see the whole gang in this book, even Simon. Can’t wait to see what LS Pullen has for us next!
588 reviews3 followers
January 31, 2022
Love

My friend Jo sent me a paperback edition of this book when I was in a funk and I absolutely loved everything about it. I would definitely recommend this to all romance readers.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 61 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.