Start by marking “Cat Kid Comic Club” as Want to Read:
Cat Kid Comic Club

Cat Kid Comic Club

(Cat Kid Comic Club #1)

A pioneering new graphic novel series by Dav Pilkey, the author and illustrator of the internationally bestselling Dog Man and Captain Underpants series.
In Cat Kid Comic Club, Li'l Petey, Flippy, and Molly introduce twenty-one rambunctious, funny, and talented baby frogs to the art of comic making. As the story unwinds with mishaps and hilarity, readers get to see the prog
Published December 1st 2020 by Graphix

To ask other readers questions about Cat Kid Comic Club, please sign up.
Amelie You can' read books on Goodreads. You could try getting it at your library or local bookseller.…moreYou can' read books on Goodreads. You could try getting it at your library or local bookseller.(less)

Start your review of Cat Kid Comic Club
Evelyn
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another totally delightful book by Dav Pilkey. As always, he absolutely has his finger on the pulse of young readers. When my now 30-year-old son was young, he loved the Captain Underpants books; I just wish Dog Man and Cat Kid had been available at that time. He loved drawing his own comics, and I totally give Dav Pilkey credit for that. As a children's librarian, I always order 10-20 copies of Dav Pilkey's books, and often all are checked out. "Cat Kid Comic Club" will encourage and create a w ...more
Different Is  Beautiful
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
I like how it show the many different and creative ways to make comics like reusing old broken toys and that" it's okay to fail miserably just remember to focuse on what you love and always try to improve" - quotes from the book ...more
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
The only graphic novel I’ve ever finished. It was so good I bought it for the school. Love how the author makes fun of all his other books like Captain Underpants and Dog Man. Especially love the interactive format and use of multiple media types to tell the stories.
Steven
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1
I like this book but why isin't it letting me read it..?

W.B. Abdullah
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful book about not giving up and not being a perfectionist. This book is a great resource for hesitant creatives, preaching that it is okay to fail, and giving many different examples of how to make, draw, and write comics. I loved it and will use it as a resource to teach children how to draw comics. Shoot! I’ll probably use it as a resource to teach myself. A good solid buy with an author who really understands and knows kid humor.
Theresa Grissom
Dav Pilkey books never get old. The kids read them, love them and can't wait for the sequels. This newest book is probably my favorite. It encourages creativity, imagination and doing/reading what you love. Definitely a winner! ...more
Jonni Shough
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I have a ton of students who love these books. They are great for students who struggle with reading or being interested in reading. I would introduce this book and allow students to choose it for Independent Reading Time.
Cindy
I may have chuckled several times.
Ellon
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not quite as funny as the Dog Man series and the message is a little more obvious but it’s still fun and enjoyable. The book covers what it is like to create “comics” (aka stories). It takes about getting ideas, not being afraid to fail, working together, and different forms (photography, claymation, drawing, computer graphics, etc).
Many of my Dog Man living students already made their own comics based on Dog Man but this book will encourage their copies and originals.
Yochi
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WAITING UNTIL CHRISTMAS TO GIVE THIS TO MY KID IS GOING TO BE TORTURE!!!

Just got this brand spankin' new book in the mail today and it is amazing. I am so excited that Dav is starting a new series that has Lil Petey in it. My kid is gonna lose it over this on xmas morning, he has no idea it even exists! Bonus points that it encourages creativity featuring different mediums. Swoons is all. More in my review after Christmas. ☺
Eti
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A cleverly subversive (as expected) launch to a new series from one of our kids' favorite authors that will help them tell their own stories through sequential art. Offering insights about idea generation, medium (you can make comics and poetry, claymation, photography, comic fails, autobio comics, all the kinds), inspiration, critical feedback, and most importantly, love. All shared through a whirlwind comics class hosted by the infinitely patient Cat Kid. We have all been Cat Kid. A delightful ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scholastic
Cat Kid Comic Club was so much fun! Mainly for the 3rd, 4th, 5th grades, I think older readers will enjoy it as well. At times I laughed out loud and thoroughly enjoyed the development of the different types of graphic novel stories and art. It looked like it would be cute, silly, fluff but turns out to be full of valuable inspiration and humor. There are also some important lessons about trying, failing, and staying true to yourself despite others opinions. Overall a very valuable read. Dav Pil ...more
Raine Villanueva
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m a visual graphic artist who was inspired by Dav Pilkey’s creative stories which also relates to my experiences. One of my all time favorite characters in his books is Li’l Petey from Dog Man series. He’s a very lovable kitten who now cares for Petey and Dog Man. And now, he has a book of his own that focuses on the love of creativity.

In Cat Kid Comic Club, Li’l Petey, along with his best friend Molly, had starting their first week of teaching comic making to twenty-one Baby Frogs who are no
Annamarie Carlson (she, her)
Li'l Petey, Flippy, and Molly are ready to teach their family of baby frogs how to make comics. But wait--some frogs don't have any ideas! Others are sure they can't draw well. What if they make a mistake?!?

While this book isn't going to be the continuation (or even spinoff) of the Dog Man main series that fans may be looking for, it is a WONDERFUL companion read for teaching young kids how to draw their own comics, especially kids ages 6-8. The sample comics are similar to what kids would creat
Aran Joseph
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Parent’s Perspective

I am always a little excited when Dan Pilkey publishes a new book; typically they combine creative stories for children with sound life lessons. Once again, Dan Pilkey does not disappoint in Cat Kid Comic Club.

On one level it’s the story of Cat Kid’s determination to teach young frogs how to draw comic books. Children should giggle at the students’ cute and funny comics. There are sandwiches that turn into monsters, toothbrush lawyers and the ever present children’s favorit
Sharla Desy
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I am so torn about this book. I get that I am not a member of the intended audience. I don't need to be personally amused by this book. But my job puts me in a position to recommend or not recommend books to children. Is this really what it takes to amuse kids? Poop, death, nuclear explosions?
Years ago, I told my daughter's first grade teacher that I didn't like the Junie B. Jones series because Junie's language was full of grammatical mistakes, and I wanted my daughter to speak well. I thought
Rose
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Melissa Namba
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Actually really enjoyed this one. It included a minor lesson on learning how to fail and be ok with it. The kids use different types of art and different styles of writing to come up with their own little books. Of course the teacher is prudey and the kids are not. Not quite as irreverent as the Captain Underpants series so it will be great for younger readers. There are poop jokes, as well as fairly well defined instructions on how to draw poop. I know my nieces and nephews who don't really lik ...more
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My son and I just finished reading this together and it’s one of our mutual favorites by Dav Pilkey. Wonderful mix of mediums, he pokes fun at himself and we get to watch a former evil genius bad guy try to parent his new family.

‘It’s ok to fail miserably! Just remember to focus on what you love... and always try to improve!’ - this is the perfect bit of uplifting joy that 2020 needs to end on. Dav Pilkey couldn’t have timed this better.
Amy
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grapic-novel
A bunch of spunky little tadpoles take a writing class from Cat Kid, aka Lil Petey from the Dog Man adventures. Great tips for writers and all of us who aim to support young writers. It's okay to fail, experiment, and present unfinished work. There are many ways to be creative and you should write about things you love. The less rules, the better. Everyone can create. ...more
Tim Earp
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dav Pilkey is amazing. Cat Kids Comic Club is an epic piece of work. How many different comics does he put in here? How many different styles does he use to tell these stories? And did anyone know what beautiful haikus Dav could write?? Seriously? Beautiful haikus.
My only complaint is he’s not prolific enough. I want more. More. More. Don’t stop writing, Dav. Ever.
Adrian Alvarez
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another fine entry in Dav Pilkey's wildly successful series of children's books. My son LOVED this, which is great because it is a book that teaches a lot of things I can appreciate, even a few things that surprised me. I didn't expect an argument against imposing moral imperatives on a creative content producer but I was happy to see it. Pilkey does something very subtle in this book and I admire his project.

My son's favorite part was the book within a book called The Cute, Little, Fluffy Cloud
Pam  Page
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another hit from Dav Pilkey, one of kids' favorite graphic novelist. I love this book because I know it will encourage kids to want to try drawing their own comics! Pair this with Pilkey's Guide to Creating Comics in 3D and you will have kids creating right away! ...more
Roben
This is simply marvelous! Thank you, Dav Pilkey, for brightening my day! Kids, comics and stories can be created in so many different ways! Let your imaginations, creativity, and mad skills run wild.
Kate Carlson
Dec 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a really cute graphic novel that was super entertaining. I wish it talked about more lessons or morals but overall I think that it was really funny. The illustrations are so fun and colorful and I think that this is a great book for kids who are trying to like reading.
Carol
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud

My grandchildren and I spent a perfectly wonderful time reading and laughing about the adventures of the Kat Kid Comic Club. Then both wanted to create their own comics.
Thanks, Mr. Pilkey
Bethe
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars. So much fun with Petey, Flippy, and all the little frogs as they learn how to write multi media comics. Life wisdom includes as well: focus on what you love & always try to improve. Love the time out rock. “It’s all death and violence and fart jokes!”
Kelly
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, graphic-novels
I think this book is brilliant. It belongs in every classroom, and many teachers would benefit from reading it, too. It could be used in so many writing lessons! Dav Pilkey is a genius. He really, really gets kids.
Michael E. Jutt
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it David Pilot, I am also one of your biggest fans!

I don't get what this is saying but I love your book. I even have all nine of the dogman books.
By the way this is Mike's son Sam.
JoAnne
Dec 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dav Pilkey has done it again. Read this with my 8 year old, and not only was it entertaining, but it was really good at building the self esteem of any budding artist - it focused on how no idea for a comic is stupid - just get started! Advice anyone of any age can take to heart.

• Twins
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • The Snow Dancer
  • Hard Luck (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #8)
  • Frozen Olaf's Night Before Christmas Book & CD
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • I Will Judge You by Your Bookshelf
  • The Bex Carter Dramadies 5: Chirpy Martin is Dead to Me
  • Sacrées Sorcières
  • Bearstone: With Related Readings (Glencoe Literature Library, #8)
  • The Christmasaurus
  • Roald Dahl's Scrumdiddlyumptious Story Collection: Six Marvellous Stories Including The BFG and Five Other Stories (Roald Dahl Box Set)
  • Machine Guns of WW1
  • Ways of Seeing
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.