Start by marking “Complete Works of Oscar Wilde” as Want to Read:
Complete Works of Oscar Wilde

Complete Works of Oscar Wilde

In print since 1948, this is a single-volume collection of Oscar Wilde's texts. It contains his only novel, The Portrait of Dorian Gray as well as his plays, stories, poems, essays and letters. Illustrated with many photographs, the book includes introductions to each section by Wilde's grandon, Merlin Holoand, Owen Dudley Edwards, Declan Kibertd and Terence Brown. A compr ...more
Published August 4th 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1908)

Start your review of Complete Works of Oscar Wilde
leynes
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Almost three years and 1,270 pages later I'm finally marking this as read, what a surreal feeling. I cannot believe that I have read every single word of Oscar's published writing. I know, they're are still many private letters left for me to discover but, you guys, I did it. I am proud of myself and I am proud of my trash son. I don't think I'll ever love an author as much as I love Oscar.

Here's to the man who believed when he died that his name would be toxic for generations to come. For hund
Rachelandthecity
Nov 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Wilde has such a gift with phrasing, I always think about how parallel he seems to me with Ryan Adams. So many accolades so early, then such a fever to tear him apart.

Here's a few quotes:

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.

A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.

Anyon
Tosh
Sep 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So essential it's not even funny. Not a better writer in the English language. Also if one can have a hero in this world, I think Wilde can fit that bill. He maybe the first writer that I realize was a rebel of sorts. My first actual rock n' roll figure that I looked up to.

I started reading Wilde as a young teenager - due to the fact that he seemed to be the most glamourous figure in literature. Most of my high school friends were into the Beats or such toss as Jonathan Bach, but Wilde was my (a
Spencer
What can I say? You either love Wilde or you don't understand him, and I love him.
DJ
Before starting this collection I had actually never read anything by Oscar Wilde - I have now read everything by Oscar Wilde, and can officially say I am a massive fan! His writing is incredibly clever and witty, but also riveting, humorous and beautiful. My favourites would be The Importance of Being Earnest, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Happy Prince & Other Tales, The Ballad of Reading Gaol, and De Profundis.

The works included - and my general opinion of them - are as follows:

PLAYS:
20) Salome
21) The Duchess of Padua
22) Vera,
Aurélien Thomas
I remember discovering Oscar Wilde with 'The Picture of Dorian Gray', a luscious and decadent read which, ironically enough, had not only made his success but also caused his downfall (being quoted ad nauseam during his trial). Well, Oscar Wilde, we know, finally ended up in jail. His work from behind bars is, about, really touching.

First, 'De Profundis', his letter to his lover, is an insightful take upon his fate - the pain of a man looked upon, ruined and humiliated, who nevertheless has the
classic reverie
As I read Oscar Wilde, I will read from this collection where my notes and highlights will be. I will review his works by their title. Look under my Oscar Wilde shelf for my list. There are no typos notes yet and very navigational.
Tea
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m always going to give Oscar 5 stars I’ve been a fan since I was 5 years and became obsessed with The happy prince. I have so many favourite stories and poems in this book it’s just one of my favourite books to read. I read this book at least once a year.
(This version of the book is incredible thick and some difficult to hold)
Amena
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant writing. Real, deep themes which one can relate to the present life. A fantastic ending. Definitely worth every single one of those 5 stars.
El
Jul 03, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: pause-button
This review is a work-in-progress. I'm reading this whole collection, but will be reviewing the individual reads separately as I go along, so don't be all confused by the otherwise seemingly random posting of Wilde stories and plays.

I am going to skip reading The Picture of Dorian Gray because I read that just a few years ago. My review is behind that link; knock yourself out.

Individual reviews will be linked here as I go along, just to really annoy everyone each time it pops up in their updates
Barbara
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Oscar Wilde is fabulous, and clever, and impossibly witty and Oscar Wilde knows it. Do yourself a favor, don't read this cover to cover - a little bit of Wilde goes a long way!

Random thoughts:
I was disappointed to find that the popular culture image of Dorian Grey didn't quite live up to the actual written depiction of him. Apparently the Victorian's were easily horrified, and I found some of the examples of his debauchery to be head scratchers. Especially his tendency to collect jewels and tap
Shawn
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Okay, as recently, I'm mopping up some titles from "To Read Short Fiction Lists", genre and lit, and as I'm in the W's....

I had 3 pieces from Wilde on the list - I've previously read a *bit* of him (about 10 stories, mostly thanks to Dedalus Books Decadence series) but, for example, haven't tackled an obvious must-read like The Picture of Dorian Grey.

"Lord Arthur Savile's Crime" is probably the most "Wildean" thing here, and in it one can see Wilde's black humor and some origins of a writer like
outraged
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must-have for every lover of literature. Oscar Wilde is a writer like no other. His words speak directly to one's heart, their soul, their subconsciousness.. He changed the way I understood writing and reading entirely, made me fall in love with his every word and get lost in his ideas, his thoughts, his world.

I was 13 or 14 when I first picked up a paperback copy of his complete works on a whim. I remember feeling a little doubtful for buying such an expensive book from an author I had never
Cecilia
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oscar-wilde
I love Oscar Wilde. His tales have been part of my life since I was a child. In my teenager years his plays were the "shelter" when I felt sad. His work is wonderful, but, in this special edition, you can find everything he wrote, even the poems (which are not so good as his other works to me). I have a 1968 edition of this Collins Classics with beautiful illustrations and a great introduction by Vyvyan Holland. Beautiful edition!
Amanda
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Wow - why had a not read Oscar Wilde before? He immediately jumped to the top of my list of favorite authors...and easily at that! I love how an author who wrote over 100 years ago can make me laugh out loud; I love that his jabs at Americans are still relevant. So far the Canterville Ghost is my favorite, and I am currently reading the Picture of Dorian Gray.
Chris
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I received this book as a gift from my dad when I was about 13 years old.
It's the special centenary edition.
It was love at first sight.
It's filled with my notes, my dried flowers (teen me was oh so romantic) and a piece of my soul.
Leila M
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
All of his work is so truthful and blunt. I started off collecting a few works here and there and ended up having to get the complete works.
ella
Last summer, I bought this 1,114 page book from a used bookstore in Gallway, Ireland for €6 (what a steal!). It was the second Oscar Wilde book I had bought that trip (along with an Oscar Wilde tea towel and calendar). Packing light is stupid anyways.

And, of course, now, during quarantine, is the perfect time to read it.

I wonder what Oscar Wilde would be doing during the pandemic. Okay I digress.

Now that I’m done it feels surreal (1,000 amazing oh my god). But this book was great because I had h
Kris Larson
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, favorites, classic
I actually hate having all my Wilde in one volume. When I lived in my studio apartment and found myself alone of an evening, I would sometimes make tea and cucumber sandwiches and curl up to re-read The Importance of Being Earnest. But now I've got this great big book which refuses to be curled up with -- I should never have sold my individual Earnest. Still, it's nice to have access to Wilde-ian works I probably wouldn't own otherwise.
Jacob
Psst! Hey, Maureen, look what I found!
Subramaniam Avinash
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I found about 40 percent of this collection terrific. The rest, not very interesting. In particular, I thought the stories he wrote for children between 8 and 80 were brilliant. And so was The Importance of Being Earnest.
Dianne Durante
Reading this in bits and pieces.
SE Panoply
When I first read this I wasn't necessarily a fan of Oscar Wilde. I was just curious about his work and I realized the easiest and fastest way to read it all was just to buy the book and call it a day.

Overall a very interesting and relatively quick read. Interesting in the sense of getting everything. Background history, the fairy tales, plays, novel, essays are all accounted for, and quick to read in the fact of most everything in this book can be breezed
☽ Su ☾
Wilde has such a gift with writing. He is fabulous, Honest and clever.
this book is a collection of Wilde’s writings containing his only novel, The Portrait of Dorian Gray, as well as his plays, stories, poems, essays and letters.

So many favorite quotes :

“Why, anybody can have common sense, provided that they have no imagination”

“It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.”

"What is a cynic?…A man who knows the price of everything and the value of no
Kristen
Oscar Wilde is always so delightful, although what disturbing children's stories! I certainly would never read those stories to a child, with the exception of 'The Remarkable Rocket'. My favorite short stories were 'Lord Arthur Savile's Crime' and 'The Canterville Ghost'.

Reading all the plays back to back does cause them to blend together just a bit, he had a habit of reusing his favorite lines over and over again. Overall I would say I enjoyed 'Vera' (The Nihilists) the most, which was the on
angie haney
May 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: By all means YES!
This is THE book. Oscar Wilde writes with so much heart. His stories just ooze heart. Of all of his writings, Dorian Grey is probably my least favorite, and it is a masterpiece! The Happy Prince will tear your heart out. It is the most beautiful story I have ever read in my entire life. It is one of the things in my life that touched my heart so deeply that all I could do was cry at it's raw, pure, beauty. Every story has that same pure loveliness. This is a book that you can read over and over ...more
Eve
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic, literature
I love his fairy tales and stories. I love Dorian Gray, and I love his playfulness when it comes to questions of morality.
It was therefore so sad to read his 'De Profundis'. Although written under extreme conditions, and therefore miraculously coherent, it revealed such a bitterness and moral disapproval on the part of the author. Did it diminish the magnitude of his genius? I'm not sure...
Chris
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wilde should be read by everyone looking for a mixture of wit, humor and deep emotion. While some of his works are less accessible than others (I prefer his plays to his poetry) there's something in here for everyone.

I read his fables when I was about 7, and still recall them vividly.
Maggi LeDuc
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Wilde's plays will always be my favorite. I found his poetry very enjoyable, especially, "The Ballad of Reading Gaol." But I found his essays impenetrable, full of references that I didn't understand, and hard to slog through.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Lysistrata / The Acharnians / The Clouds
  • Essential Tales and Poems
  • The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll
  • Four Great Tragedies: Hamlet / Othello / King Lear / Macbeth
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • The Complete Short Novels
  • The Penguin History of New Zealand
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet, and author of numerous short stories, and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being ...more